TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
cwbaker

Reboot loop trying to remove external storage

I have been having recording issues with a TivoHD with a 500gb MyDVR expander attached. So I decided to remove the MyDVR Expander but that has created more issues

With the MyDVR expander removed, I get the 'Remove External Storage' screen and press the 3 Thumbs-down-enter to reboot. Once rebooted, it says the storage is being removed, but then loops back to the 'Remove External Storage' screen again.

With the MyDVR expander re-attached, I get a GSOD for about a minute and the TiVo reboots. It loops back to the GSOD screen again and reboots.

I've tried the various Kickstarts (52, 54, 57, 58) with and without the MyDVR expander attached, but still continue to get the reboot loops described above.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this issue and get my Tivo running again?

Help!

Thanks,

Craig
cwbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
kennedy

I recently resolved a similar reboot loop problem by pulling the battery on the system board to reset things. To be honest I was stunned that it worked. All of the kickstart codes failed to resolve the situation for me as well. Give it a try, and you might get lucky. :-)
kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
Dr_Diablo
Dr_Diablo

When I have issyes with this darn Tivo screwin up, an have to reboot/start. it doesn't recognize my external Mybook until the third or fourth reboot.
I hope the next software update corrects these issues or I'm goving pp on this entire crappy service Tivo is providing... It's a shame that Tivo feels it's acceprable to charge a monthly fee for tgeir device that does not do what it was/is intended to do..

I can'y view any of my HD channels, heavy pixelation, and or no audio, an two thirds od the SD channels just show a black sceen...

What are those boys smoking at Tivo?
Dr_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
majinbuu147

having the same reboot loop problem that OP had. has anybody else had this and been able to resolve it without taking the tivo apart?
majinbuu147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
spikedavis

I'm having the same issue as well-anyone else have a solution?
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
majinbuu147

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedavis View Post
I'm having the same issue as well-anyone else have a solution?
Unfortunately I wound up having to replace my hard drive to fix this issue. I got it from weeknees (I think I'm spelling it right it might be weaknees) it comes with everything you need to switch it out. It took me about 15 mins or so.
majinbuu147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by majinbuu147 View Post
Unfortunately I wound up having to replace my hard drive to fix this issue.
I had the same issue and sort of had to the same thing. I ended up disconnecting the stock internal 160 gig drive, switching around the cables so that my Expander (still being run externally) was the A drive and then restoring an image into it.

Either the 160 gig drive failed or got corrupted... but it was unclear if should really trust the drive anymore.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
emerson42

I had to replace my hard drive as well. After messing around with it apparently the Tivo deleted the beginning of the master boot record or something else fundamental to it working. The system would come up and constantly say it needed to unpair with no other option. Choose unpair and it would just reboot and say it again. If you plugged the extender back in you would get the green screen about scanning the drive and then it would keep rebooting back to that. Either way it would never fix. I ended up getting a new drive, imaging with an acquired Tivo HD image and then using it. I plugged the expander into my desktop and scanned it and found no issues, so now its on my Premiere. I think they have some major software issues with unpairing.
emerson42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Phantom Gremlin

This is a long festering bug. I had the same problem when I tried to remove my external storage.

We can thank the highly talented and highly motivated outsourced programming team in Elbonia for their superb implementation of "corner cases" in TiVo's software.

Fortunately the basic DVR functionality is rock solid (except when the really crappy consumer grade hard disk drives start having problems; but that's a rant for another day).
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
emerson42

I actually had problems where I couldn't use the transfer to my PC functionality anymore because of what I guess were hard drive issues. Also started noticing more artifacting in my shows.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #11
comint
wowgoldor

You can restart a few times more, it is not to reload it, this is very convenient.
comint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
shrike4242

I ran into this issue with one of my Tivo HDs + DVR Expander. I ended up replacing the system as it was still under warranty via SquareTrade.

No matter how many times I rebooted the system, it wouldn't come back from the same loop as the OP describes.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Volitionist

I had the reboot loop issue after unpairing a dying WD Expander. The TiVo would boot semi-normally, skip the boot-up animation of the adorable little TiVo man walking around, and then go to a black screen; when I pressed the TiVo button, I could access some menus but the graphics (backgrounds on the SD menus) didn't load properly. We also couldn't get to live TV without triggering the reboot again. After a few seconds, the TiVo would reboot again and go through the whole process over and over. I called TiVo support and the guy had me turn off the TiVo, unplug the cable card and the ethernet cord, then plug the TiVo back in. It was able to boot normally and detected that there was no cable card. We put the cable card back in and plugged the internet back in (while the box was powered on), and the box worked just fine, live TV and everything was fine. We couldn't try any recorded programs because the hard drive was empty, but it certainly solved our problem.
Volitionist is offline   Reply With Quote