TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
cpittman

FIOS vs. TiVo

This is my first time on TiVo community. I am glad I found you through Google.

Despite claims by Verizon help desk to the contrary, I am certain that other TiVo owners have encountered my recent and ongoing problem. Yesterday, Verizon installed a FIOS "triple play" (voice, data, video) at my residence. We love it...with one exception:

Our TiVos apparently will not control channel changing on the new Motorola set-top boxes. The ComCast box we had until 24 hours ago (also Motorola) was controlled by TiVo through the serial port with no problem. When I attempted to rebuild the connection between TiVo and the new FIOS standard definition set-top box provided by Verizon, the TiVo setup procedure informed me that it could not change channels.

In going through the Verizon FIOS TV User Guide, I noticed on page 51 that the set-top box tells us not to plug anything into the serial port--and that the IR port (the 2nd method TiVo can control channel changing)--is not enabled.

I am NOT a techie. I only know my kids want their TiVo, as do their parents.

I suppose it goes without saying that we chose NOT to go with the Verizon DVR in favor of remaining with TiVo. Is this a conspiracy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

CP
cpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
ah30k

I understand the serial port not being enabled but how can the IR port not be enabled? Do they use and RF remote control?

Most discussions here have assumed that you could simply use the IR blaster.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
davezatz
Funkadelic

Which Motorola box is it? And did you try IR anyway?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #4
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

They may be referring to the IR *out* port that many cable boxes have to control VCRs, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:41 PM   #5
davezatz
Funkadelic

Good call, mz - that's probably it.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
cpittman

I will have to try to find an IR blaster cable. My TiVos do not have such cables. I simply assumed that the Users Manual was factual in stating that the IR port is not enabled. Has anyone been able to get automatic channel changing through the use of IR? The Motorola box is the QIP 2500-2.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Did your QIP 2500-2 come with a remote control? An IR remote control?
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
bkdtv

Quote:
Did your QIP 2500-2 come with a remote control? An IR remote control?
Yes, it does.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #9
bkdtv

cpittman,

You'll have to control the Motorola box using the Tivo's IR interface.

Be sure to start saving for a Series3 HDTV Tivo as well.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #10
cpittman

Will do re TiVo Series 3 savings. I hope it will have more HD capacity than the VZ box appears to have (per specs).

I appreciate the help from everyone. I have ordered two IR blaster cables from the Internet. If anyone needs the URL I will send it as a reply to a request at my email address.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpittman
Will do re TiVo Series 3 savings. I hope it will have more HD capacity than the VZ box appears to have (per specs).

I appreciate the help from everyone. I have ordered two IR blaster cables from the Internet. If anyone needs the URL I will send it as a reply to a request at my email address.
The S3 has a 250GB drive and a SATA port to enable expansion via an external drive. You'll get TONS more space with the S3 than you would with the 160GB QIP6416 model Verizon Fios offers.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #12
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Since the box has an IR remote the IR blasters will do the trick for you (assuming the TiVo has the codes - but it would be unusual for it not to).

Just curious (it'll be years before it's here, I'm sure) - what is Verizon charging for the FIOS "triple play"?
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
bkdtv

Quote:
Just curious (it'll be years before it's here, I'm sure) - what is Verizon charging for the FIOS "triple play"?
Verizon FiOS is $79.90 for 200 digital channels and 5Mbps Internet (with 2Mbps upstream). That includes the cost of a SD box if you subscribe for a year, but does not include the cost of the HDTV DVR, which is $12.99/mo. In some markets, the 5Mbps Internet plan has been upgraded to 10Mbps and the 15Mbps plan has been upgraded to 20Mbps, at no extra charge.

Verizon Voicewing phone service is $19.95/mo for 500 minutes or $24.95 for unlimited minutes, but you get $5.00 off for Triple Play. Hence, the "triple play" price for 200 digital channels, 5Mbps Internet (with 2Mbps upstream), and 500 minute phone service is $94.85/mo. With unlimited phone service, its $99.95/mo.

Verizon just introduced a multiroom software upgrade to the HDTV DVR which allows you to access its recordings on the non-DVR boxes, but they want $19.99/mo for that functionality. The DVR is still limited to 160Gb capacity; the box has a SATA port but it is non-functional.

You can see pics of the FiOS DVR software right here (broadband required).

Last edited by bkdtv : 08-11-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Verizon just introduced a multiroom software upgrade to the HDTV DVR which allows you to access its recordings on the non-DVR boxes, but they want $19.99/mo for that functionality.
The $19.99 includes the HD-DVR which costs $12.95 so the incremental cost of multi-room is around $7.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #15
BriGuy20

Just wanted to be sure:

FiOS DOES indeed offer cable cards, right?
BriGuy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
bkdtv

Quote:
FiOS DOES indeed offer cable cards, right?
Yes, at $2.95 each. It's an outlet fee so you should be able to get two for the Series3 Tivo for $2.95 total. Multistream cards should be available from Verizon early next year.

Last edited by bkdtv : 08-12-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #17
daneyul

The IR cables will work (I use them) but they are slow and unreliable. Changing channels now takes a few seconds, and holding the up/down channel is painful--the FIOS box can't keep up, and tends to get lost.

The best option by far is for FIOS to enable the Serial port on the Set top boxes. The port is there, and other providers who use the same model STB's have them enabled and work fine with TIVO. Fios has just not chosen to enable them.

Anyone who is using or thinking about using FIOS with TIVO, please let Verizon know this is an important feature. The Verizon FIOS TV number is: (888) 553-1555

I've talked to them, and they indicated it probably will be updated eventually via firmware, but if they get a lot of calls, this will of course probably happen much faster...
daneyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #18
passatdream

I have FiOS here in Texas and I LOVE IT. I have my Tivo working just fine with the Motorola set top box. If you need help getting it setup, send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

Chris.
Denton, TX
passatdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #19
daneyul

When you say its working just fine, does just fine include waiting 3 to 6 extra seconds for the channels to change via the IR cables? And how does it work with the up/down channel buttons? Can you surf the channels as quickly as you could with TIVO alone, or with a serial port interface? Or does the STB lag waaay behind, and get lost sometimes?

The slow channel changing of IR cables with the FIOS set top box is not just fine to me. It's a huge annoyance....
daneyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
ashu
User title defunct

I've ALWAYS used IR and I've NEVER been unhappy. Note, I don't have FIOS, but hope to have it soon.

I've had Dish regular, HD receivers, and Cable boxes galore (DCT 2000 series Motorlas, Sci Atl boxes, DVRs and now a Moto 6412 HD DVR, likely will be the device I get from VZW while I wait out the S3)

I realize that those used to Serial Port channel changes have it better/smoother, but really, pulling your hair out is an overreaction to being 'limited' to IR. It works just great, with nary a channel miss on mutliple TiVos, over the many years and boxes!

The MORE important thing is ... with a TiVo in your possession, why are you even channel surfing any more? Is your NPL empty?

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #21
JohnBrowning

I've had Fios TV for a week and this is the first time I've allowed a cable box into my home. Yes, I'd prefer the serial solution to my TiVo and have requested that support from VZ. That said, the IR seems to work ok - except when the maid cleans and knocks them out of alignment.

I've also got a Moto cablecard for my Mitsu DLP set. Neither VZ nor their installation contractors have much experience with the cc - and it shows. It took a couple days to get it init'd properly, but, seems to work great now!

The most time consuming part of this whole deal is to go through the TiVo, Moto boxes, and CC config to delete all the useless shopping, religious, Spanish, and Muzak channels from the lineups.
JohnBrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #22
bkdtv

Quote:
The most time consuming part of this whole deal is to go through the TiVo, Moto boxes, and CC config to delete all the useless shopping, religious, Spanish, and Muzak channels from the lineups.
At least the FiOS boxes actually let you remove the channels you don't want from the box. Cable boxes from Comcast, Time Warner, and Cox won't let you do that.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrowning
That said, the IR seems to work ok - except when the maid cleans and knocks them out of alignment.
Don't be looking for any sympathy on that one
Old 05-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #24
Sidnicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneyul
Anyone who is using or thinking about using FIOS with TIVO, please let Verizon know this is an important feature. The Verizon FIOS TV number is: (888) 553-1555
I'm getting FiOS TV installed on Thursday, and recently came across this issue. I found the above number on Verizon's support site, and called. I explained the concern, and the tech said that he could only help with troubleshooting (issues like no picture). He gave me the model numbers of the FiOS boxes (I'll be getting a QIP2500), and left it at that. I'm going to email support and may call again in hope of getting someone more willing to help.

Since this topic, has anyone made progress or seen new developments?
[hr]
I know I may be bringing this topic back from the dead, but the issue is still relevant
Sidnicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #25
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
At least the FiOS boxes actually let you remove the channels you don't want from the box. Cable boxes from Comcast, Time Warner, and Cox won't let you do that.
I've actually wondered if the Tivo/Comcast software will still let you do that.. or if this will be a degradation in the UI when moved to the cable DVRs.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #26
bilbo

Wink HD-DVR rate to go up $3 for new service added

HD-DVR rate to go up $3 for new service added (if you add after mid-July) according to a recent mailing (received earlier this month). $12.95 monthly rate will stay the same for existing customers. that makes the hd-dvr $15.95 per month (and would probably mean a downgrade from the multi-room dvr after mid-July will only save you $4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k
The $19.99 includes the HD-DVR which costs $12.95 so the incremental cost of multi-room is around $7.
i had serial ports enabled initially (service installed november 2006 long after this thread went dormant), but they just suddenly stopped working one day (about 1-2 months ago) and i had to switch to ir (for the first time ever). not really much to it, imho. of course i have cable cards downstairs in an s3, so i am not really concerned about the bedroom tivo.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #27
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrowning
That said, the IR seems to work ok - except when the maid cleans and knocks them out of alignment.
"The maid"? So soon after mother's day and you're referring to her as the maid already. tsk tsk.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Sidnicious

Quick update for anyone coming across this thread: the IMG update rolled out recently enables the serial port! Feel free to switch over.
Sidnicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #29
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Yep - serial port works great here in MD!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #30
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

There are a few other threads about enabling the serial ports on the QIP2500, so that Series 2 TiVos (and maybe Series 1 TiVos) can control the QIP2500 serially. I think it involves a phone call to the Verizon help center. Search for QIP2500 and you'll get a number of good info.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote