TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
timckelley
TCFer

Wife invading my TiVo

You might remember a long thread I started a couple of years ago, called "Wife won't delete recordings". I think it got archived, which is why I started a new thread.

To summarize, my wife gets way more backlogged than I do, and she has a problem filling up the hard drive with KUID recordings. As a result I bought a second TiVo, so we each have our own. I had laid down ground rules that if she ever records onto my TiVo, I have the right to change her stuff to KUSN, and all my stuff to KUID. I normally just keep everything as KUSN on my TiVo.

Over the last few months, over a gradual process more and more stuff has crept into my NP list. At first it was an hour or two, then several hours, and now it's 10 or 20 hours worth of stuff.

To be fair, she is leaving all her stuff as KUSN, but it still kind of bothers me because it cuts down on my suggestion list. The shorter the list of suggestions, the less likely there will be one that I like. I've told her this, and she keeps saying that she'll clear her stuff out, but I'll see how that goes.

I guess I'm not really asking you for a solution to my problem, because whenever I try to lay down the law on my TiVo, it causes bickering and short tempers, but to be fair, I guess she's living under my ground rules, because her stuff is KUSN on my TiVo. (Well, techincally not, as 2 or 3 hours of her stuff is KUID on my TiVo. ) I guess I just really posted this as an update on my other thread.

I told her, btw, that maybe I should upgrade her TiVo. Her TiVo is only an 80 hour TiVo, and mine is somewhere around 105 or 110 hours (used to be 194 hours, but one of the drives went bad and I replaced it with a measly 20 G drive I happened to have lying around the house.) She doesn't want me to do it yet, but I suppose if my space gets too much smaller I might raise the priority of this project.

I'm always hopelessly backlogged with house projects though (much more so than is my NP list ), and when I repaired my TiVo it took me 3 days to do it, because I found the Hinsdale instructions so confusing. Hopefully now that I've done it, next time won't be so hard.

I'd consider trading TiVos, but mine is series one and hers is series two. She really needs the undelete function much more than I, and she also really likes the folders feature which I don't have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 10:37 PM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
TivoZorro

If it were me I would invest in an external hard drive (200 GB) and enable TivoToGo and install Tivo Desktop on my computer. When her Series 2 Tivo became almost full I would start pulling off her shows to the laptop and then to the external hard drive. I would then tell her that I would transfer them back for her when she was ready to watch them or show her how to do it. I would be firm about not letting her use your Tivo. She should respect what is yours.
Laptop Running Tivo Desktop 2.3 Plus
1 30 GB iPod with Video
Sony SVR 2000 Tivo
TivoZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoZorro
If it were me I would invest in an external hard drive (200 GB) and enable TivoToGo and install Tivo Desktop on my computer. When her Series 2 Tivo became almost full I would start pulling off her shows to the laptop and then to the external hard drive. I would then tell her that I would transfer them back for her when she was ready to watch them or show her how to do it. I would be firm about not letting her use your Tivo. She should respect what is yours.
That's a neat idea. I wonder how much external hard drives cost.

Actually, I have two desktop PCs in my house; no laptops. (I've never owned a laptop.) I'm very familiar with installing internal hard drives, so maybe it'd be cheaper to install a second internal hard drive in one of the desktop PCs and then dedicate that drive to hold her overflow recordings. I do have a home network setup (one PC is hardwired; the other is wireless connected). But neither of my TiVos is connected to the network. I don't think hers is near a cat5 outlet, so I suppose I'd need to buy a wireless adapter to get her TiVo hooked up. This sounds like a good idea.

Of course, if I buy another hard drive, I could just install it in the TiVo itself, but I see a couple of disadvantages to that strategy:

1) The series 2, IIRC, has trouble powering two hard drives, and I think weaknees sells some kind of staggered poweringup device. Also, the TiVo would need more cooling with 2 drives in it.

2) By offloading some shows to a PC instead of upgrading her TiVo, it would give her incentive to make room on her TiVo so that she can move her shows back to it. Extra space on her TiVo, and she might just simply fill it up and still move on to my TiVo..

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
PRMan

If the drive you are adding is around 120GB or less, can't you still use BlessTiVo? That's 1 command and not confusing at all. (I don't have any Series 2s, so maybe you can't.)

Bottom line, she needs a space increase on the TiVo itself. No need to hassle her with TiVoToGo. She won't buy in and it will be a fight all the way.
R.I.P.
PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
You might remember a long thread I started a couple of years ago, called "Wife won't delete recordings". I think it got archived, which is why I started a new thread.

To summarize, my wife gets way more backlogged than I do, and she has a problem filling up the hard drive with KUID recordings. As a result I bought a second TiVo, so we each have our own. I had laid down ground rules that if she ever records onto my TiVo, I have the right to change her stuff to KUSN, and all my stuff to KUID. I normally just keep everything as KUSN on my TiVo.
<snip>

Nope, the old thread is still active.

I knew this was going to be an issue once you started letting her record her stuff on your TiVo.

You're only allowing her to dig an even bigger hole than she's already done.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
ChuckyBox

You have to be the dominant one in your relationship. You need to use calm, assertive energy to let her know that her TiVo-hogging behavior is unwanted by you. Then, when she's in a calm, submissive state of mind, you can reward her with affection. Then tell her to get in the kitchen and make you some pie.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:57 PM   #7
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
You have to be the dominant one in your relationship. You need to use calm, assertive energy to let her know that her TiVo-hogging behavior is unwanted by you. Then, when she's in a calm, submissive state of mind, you can reward her with affection. Then tell her to get in the kitchen and make you some pie.

Please post a video of this so we can watch.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:

Over the last few months, over a gradual process more and more stuff has crept into my NP list. At first it was an hour or two, then several hours, and now it's 10 or 20 hours worth of stuff.

To be fair, she is leaving all her stuff as KUSN, but it still kind of bothers me because it cuts down on my suggestion list. The shorter the list of suggestions, the less likely there will be one that I like. I've told her this, and she keeps saying that she'll clear her stuff out, but I'll see how that goes.

I guess I'm not really asking you for a solution to my problem, because whenever I try to lay down the law on my TiVo, it causes bickering and short tempers, but to be fair, I guess she's living under my ground rules, because her stuff is KUSN on my TiVo. (Well, techincally not, as 2 or 3 hours of her stuff is KUSN on my TiVo. ) I guess I just really posted this as an update on my other thread.

I told her, btw, that maybe I should upgrade her TiVo. Her TiVo is only an 80 hour TiVo, and mine is somewhere around 105 or 110 hours (used to be 194 hours, but one of the drives went bad and I replaced it with a measly 20 G drive I happened to have lying around the house.) She doesn't want me to do it yet, but I suppose if my space gets too much smaller I might raise the priority of this project.

I'm always hopelessly backlogged with house projects though (much more so than is my NP list ), and when I repaired my TiVo it took me 3 days to do it, because I found the Hinsdale instructions so confusing. Hopefully now that I've done it, next time won't be so hard.

I'd consider trading TiVos, but mine is series one and hers is series two. She really needs the undelete function much more than I, and she also really likes the folders feature which I don't have.

Far more simple a solution.

Move to Stepford.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
BillyT2002
Crush!Kill!Destroy!

I have rigged my TIVO to blow up a small thermonuclear device, if anything related to home and garden, Oprah, Dr. Phil or other female genre type shows are either requested or thumbed-up on my TIVO. I have told her and she knows it. She has thus far left it alone. She has her own TIVO, but she knows mine is off limits.

“I'm sorry. That was the hungry, dizzy Hulk, he comes on fast."
BillyT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyT2002
I have rigged my TIVO to blow up a small thermonuclear device, if anything related to home and garden, Oprah, Dr. Phil or other female genre type shows are either requested or thumbed-up on my TIVO. I have told her and she knows it. She has thus far left it alone. She has her own TIVO, but she knows mine is off limits.
Can this be purchased? I'd like to place an order! STAT!

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #11
rainwater

Wow, I couldn't use an 80 hour TiVo myself. 250-300gb drives go for $70-$80. I find with a DT unit and 300 hours, people in the house are happier with the TiVo. When the wife has the last 30 episodes of Ellen, there's less time for her to mess something up.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
Stanley Rohner

Another solution - Tell her to stop putting stuff on your TiVo and quit whining to us about the issue.
Stanley Rohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Rohner
Another solution - Tell her to stop putting stuff on your TiVo and quit whining to us about the issue.
You might want to learn some tact. As I said, I'm not asking for solutions - I mostly posted this for entertainment value. BTW, I've already tried your 'solution'. It didn't work.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
andydumi
Fish. Butt.

Upgrade hers, thats what i had to do with our Tivo which is mostly wife controlled. I made it a 250gb drive and now i actually have room to record my 3-4 hour Formula 1 every other week without having her hound me to watch it and clear it out within a couple days.
andydumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #15
ah30k

Now that I have a 'recently deleted' folder I can see just how often 'The View' is recorded! I never noticed before because it was recorded and deleted before I got home.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!!
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #16
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi
Upgrade hers, thats what i had to do with our Tivo which is mostly wife controlled. I made it a 250gb drive and now i actually have room to record my 3-4 hour Formula 1 every other week without having her hound me to watch it and clear it out within a couple days.

This may be a good idea. My only other experience with installing a new HD is when my series 1 TiVo sprouted a bad drive. But in that case, I didn't mind losing all my settings, NP list, SP list, etc... I restarted fresh. Fortunately I had no backlog when that happened.

I wonder if installing a new drive in the series 2 is much more complicated, if I want to preserve all her settings and NP list that's on it. Plus, from what I've read, series 2 need extra cooling when you put a second drive in it, because the the case is so small.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 08-02-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #17
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
You might want to learn some tact. As I said, I'm not asking for solutions - I mostly posted this for entertainment value. BTW, I've already tried your 'solution'. It didn't work.

well with Kidzone now out - how about going to back to my old suggestion but with a twist that Kidzone adds. activate kidzone and keep the code to yourself.
Now in this case you set the ratings to include everything and hide nothing, unless you want to hide something

That way she can watch any show on your TiVo without having to get you but she can not delete any show nor can she add anything unless she asks you and you agree to do it.

PS - I have a DT and 500gig hard drive on their way to me. I think you and your wife would benefit from such an upgrade as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:22 PM   #18
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
This may be a good idea. My only other experience with installing a new HD is when my series 1 TiVo sprouted a bad drive. But in that case, I didn't losing all my settings, NP list, SP list, etc... I restarted fresh. Fortunately I had no backlog when that happened.

I wonder if installing a new drive in the series 2 is much more complicated, if I want to preserve all her settings and NP list that's on it. Plus, from what I've read, series 2 need extra cooling when you put a second drive in it, because the the case is so small.
Tim, I've only upgraded my S1 but I have read some of the notes on upgrading S2s. (On slow-forum days I read a lot of stuff just because....)

There's a connector in the S2 that you have to pay careful attention to when you do an S2 upgrade. Be on the lookout for a thread that has a title like "Read this before upgrading your Series 2".

If you are concerned about adding a second drive, what about getting one big new one? (Of course, then you'd have to deal with copying and transferrring all the stuff she has now.)

Or what about this: Get a third big S2 TiVo, let her transfer all her old recordings off to the big one via MRV, and then the 80 hour S2 can be for the programs you both watch.

Jan
Old 08-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #19
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd
Or what about this: Get a third big S2 TiVo, let her transfer all her old recordings off to the big one via MRV, and then the 80 hour S2 can be for the programs you both watch.

Jan
That would certainly be the deluxe solution, but then I'd have to start paying a monthly fee. (Both our TiVos are lifetime, and liftetime is gone now except for those of us that have it already.)

I like the suggestion of replacing the 80G drive with a really big one. I'm guessing I wouldn't have to beef up the cooling system or the power supply if I go that route, right?

I mainly then need to figure out how to transfer the old shows to the new drive so she doesn't lose them. I suppose I can revisit the Hinsdale instructions to see if I can figure that out. I was really happy with the help I got on the Upgrade Forum when I fixed my series 1. The Hinsdale Instructions were not all that easy for me to figure out, but the guys in the forum coached me through the whole process until I had success.

I suppose if I replace the HD, I could install the old HD in one of my desktop computers, and then maybe if we want to start using TiVo2GO, that harddrive could be a nice media to hold our offloaded shows.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #20
Mamoth

I divorced my wife for telling me she'd do things and then she would never follow through. Well, that wasn't the only reason... but you get the picture

Be more dominate and just delete those suckers. She'll get the hint
Mamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #21
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamoth
Be more dominate and just delete those suckers. She'll get the hint
My wife is already much more emotional than me, which is sometimes difficult to live with. I'm afraid your solution will be more trouble than it's worth.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #22
Mamoth

Quote:
My wife is already much more emotional than me, which is sometimes difficult to live with. I'm afraid your solution will be more trouble than it's worth.
Damn!
Mamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #23
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
This may be a good idea. My only other experience with installing a new HD is when my series 1 TiVo sprouted a bad drive. But in that case, I didn't losing all my settings, NP list, SP list, etc... I restarted fresh. Fortunately I had no backlog when that happened.

Put in a single 320GB Western Digital from NewEgg. From your other posts, you can handle the upgrade with minimal difficulty. Saving the existing recordings makes it an overnight job, but it's really pretty easy. Total cost about $100; maybe $110 if you get the really, really nice Torx-10 and -15.
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #24
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
I suppose if I replace the HD, I could install the old HD in one of my desktop computers, and then maybe if we want to start using TiVo2GO, that harddrive could be a nice media to hold our offloaded shows.
yes , you can use the Hinsdale instructions to get the old image onto a new larger drive including the shows and season passes and so forth. It is a bit more work and thus some more painful reading for you but it can be done.

adn yes format the existing drive for your PC and you will have some extra room for TiVoToGo and TiVoToComeBack
Old 08-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #25
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
(snip)I mainly then need to figure out how to transfer the old shows to the new drive so she doesn't lose them.
Take a look at the step-by-step instructions from the help forums. It will walk you through a bunch of questions, and you'll tell it you want to replace one drive with a bigger drive and preserve recordings. If you can burn a CD-R and correctly jumper a drive, you should have no trouble.

Then, if both TiVos are networked, you should be able to have your wife pull her recordings back off your TiVo to her new four-times-as-roomy TiVo.

(Personally, I suspect that in your situation, TiVo-to-Go archiving is inferior to just putting a larger drive in your wife's machine. TiVo-to-Go is great for keeping a show or two for a long time or keeping up with a show while travelling. It's not nearly so convenient as keeping the shows on a bigger TiVo for someone who will be watching the show on the TiVo anyway.)
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #26
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie
Take a look at the step-by-step instructions from the help forums. It will walk you through a bunch of questions, and you'll tell it you want to replace one drive with a bigger drive and preserve recordings. If you can burn a CD-R and correctly jumper a drive, you should have no trouble.

Then, if both TiVos are networked, you should be able to have your wife pull her recordings back off your TiVo to her new four-times-as-roomy TiVo.

(Personally, I suspect that in your situation, TiVo-to-Go archiving is inferior to just putting a larger drive in your wife's machine. TiVo-to-Go is great for keeping a show or two for a long time or keeping up with a show while travelling. It's not nearly so convenient as keeping the shows on a bigger TiVo for someone who will be watching the show on the TiVo anyway.)
Thanks for these tips. BTW, I can't network both TiVos, because my TiVo is a series 1. (I don't think you can network a series 1, IIRC. This means if I upgrade her TiVo, she'll just have to make time to either watch the stuff on my TiVO (and then delete it), or archive to tape or DVD. I would think if she has all this space on her TiVo, she can afford to stop watching / deleting on hers for awhile, while she tends to mine.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #27
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie
Put in a single 320GB Western Digital from NewEgg. From your other posts, you can handle the upgrade with minimal difficulty. Saving the existing recordings makes it an overnight job, but it's really pretty easy. Total cost about $100; maybe $110 if you get the really, really nice Torx-10 and -15.
Wow. That's a lot of drive space compared to what those things used to cost. 320GB? I wonder how many hours that is. I bet it must be at least 300, probably more. If she ever somehow fills up that huge thing, she'll probably feel overwhelmed at the size of her backlog. I'd like to think she wouldn't let it get filled up considering the size. Once she has, say 100 or 200 hours or shows, I'd like to think she'd start doing something about her backlog.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #28
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Quote:
(snip)I don't think you can network a series 1, IIRC.
Well, you can network your Series 1 for your daily call and so forth, but someone else will have to tell you whether you can do MRV between a Series 2 and a network-enabled Series 1. (I suspect not.)
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
Old 08-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #29
rainwater

I would definately follow the Weaknees instructions. They are the most straight forward. It doesn't require much knowledge other than knowing how to burn a cd and attach ide cables. It will take a bit of time to copy the shows but it is well worth it. You do not even have to make a backup since you are replacing the drive (just keep the old drive in a safe place just in case).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #30
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
I would definately follow the Weaknees instructions. They are the most straight forward. It doesn't require much knowledge other than knowing how to burn a cd and attach ide cables. It will take a bit of time to copy the shows but it is well worth it. You do not even have to make a backup since you are replacing the drive (just keep the old drive in a safe place just in case).
I'm thinking of harvesting the old drive though. When I replaced the drive on my series 1, I kept a backup on CD of a blank image (no shows or settings). I'm thinking that'd be safe for me to do with the series 2 too, in case I ever lose integrity of the drive. I'll check and see if there's a command for backing up a blank image, even if my current drive has stuff on it. (The advantage for backing up a blank image is that you can fit it on one CD.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc