TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #1
ebonovic
has gone his way...

HR20 in August

I am posting this in one thread as an response to all the other threads that where out over the last couple days (regarding delays)..

http://www.tvweek.com/page.cms?pageId=202

This is the formal DirecTV response to the Forbes and Swani articles.

The HR20 is to be release in August... LA will be the first market to get it.

The discussion can be continued over at www.dbstalk.com
Old 07-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

That's a pilot, not a release.

By that same logic, the HD Tivo 6.3 software has been released.

This looks like major spin to me.

"Released" is when I can order it on-line or pick it up from Best Buy.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Another poster on another forum posted this...

[partial quote]

It is no different then when they released the AT9 dish and the H20 in Detroit first...
So does that not count as a "release" ?

[/partial quote]

I guess FIOS isn't released then, as I can't call up an order it, or pick it up from Best Buy.
I mean it is only available in a limited area... because they are "rolling it out"

Or is MPEG-4 Locals not released... because it is only available in limited areas...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
pecocus

If I were D*, I'd roll out the HR20's in roughly the same order as I was deploying (or had deployed) MPEG 4 cities. After all, those are the DVR owners who had been waiting the longest for the ability to get the MPEG 4 feeds. Wasn't LA one of the first cities to get MPEG 4 locals?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
jm_sullivan
Preorder #54

Isn't LA on MPEG-2 still as the west coast feed? this sounds like a plausible decision that a CEO would make. I believe this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
is hard to find
jm_sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
ebonovic
has gone his way...

LA has the MPEG-4 as well.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
srt

paticence grasshoppers. I know nothing, yet I know that last week I received an envelope from D* that included a channel line-up AND a 1/3 sheet note that clearly said " Congratulations. You now have a new DIRECT'TV DVR...."
copy avaliable but I do not know how to post a pic here.
I live in nor*cal, but have LA feed for hd because there is no hd broadcast anywhere near here. I believe, with some amount of certainity, that sometime in the future I will get a new dish and box to replace or 3lnb and hr10-250.
Sometime. I also believe the above was packaged and mailed a little early, intentionally? Typical D* left hand/right hand fashion? Who knows, does it really matter?
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
kbcrowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
LA has the MPEG-4 as well.
Yes, but the point is they are the one city with HD locals besides NY that doesn't need an MPEG-4 DVR.
GG D*
kbcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:05 PM   #9
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Well yes... (Regarding LA having both)

LA is also where they have one of there larger offices
Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
I guess FIOS isn't released then, as I can't call up an order it, or pick it up from Best Buy.
I mean it is only available in a limited area... because they are "rolling it out"

Or is MPEG-4 Locals not released... because it is only available in limited areas...
You can't be serious? FiOS and MPEG-4 Locals are not consumer electronic devices. You'd never call FiOS "released" or MPEG-4 locals "released". They're services.

You can't call a product "released" that is intended to be purchased anywhere, if you can only get it in one place.

That's a pilot, plain and simple. And it's painfully obvious DirecTV is getting bashed by everyone, and this is damage control.

!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
ebonovic
has gone his way...

So why are services except from "release" status, when it is only available in limited markets? As service is a product that you purchase... is it not? So how about other technology (such as cell phones) that are only available in specific markets... are they not released?

So why shouldn't they release it to just one market... to make sure their infrustructur is set, the installers are trained, and they work out all the kinks of the logistics of rolling out such a product. That is what they did for the H20 and the AT9 dish (aka.. they started in Detriot, and then moved on). And I don't think we heard "this is damage control", or Detroit is just an elaborate Beta testing city... why is the HR20 any different? They said Q3... and Q3 it is...

"Damage Control"... of course it is damage control... Control of the damage from articles over the last two days, based on outdated information... It was answer to those questions and comments... Heck I bet your surprised that they even came out with a statement this fast....

Define "release" however you want....
But the bottom line is the HR20 will be in the hands of paying customers comes August 2006.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
TonyD79

I'd call it a phased release.

Pilots are usually intended to prove concept and to limit usage. After a pilot, you usually retrench and adjust. That doesn't sound like that here. It sounds like the same way they release software for TiVos. Select markets and a rolling release.

They should follow the MPEG4 pattern and try to catch up to it so they are releasing the new DVRs at the same time they turn MPEG4 on in an area. Afterall, why release the new DVR where MPEG4 isn't available yet? That would be stupid.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #13
tazzmission

AbMagFab, please shut up. You anger me with your negative responses to Earl's posts. What is your deal anyway???
tazzmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Wow ... I can just see the debate now: Someday soon, one lucky TCF poster will report getting 6.3 downloaded and installed, indicating it has been released. As we all know, upgrades are rolled out gradually, so I'm sure some other TCF poster will challenge that first report of the 6.3 rollout claiming it's not "released' yet, as it's a product that's not yet available everywhere. Sheesh.
drew2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #15
aztivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzmission
AbMagFab, please shut up. You anger me with your negative responses to Earl's posts. What is your deal anyway???
I too have been wondering what the deal is between these two... but on this one I will agree with AbMagFab...this shouldnt be considered a "release" but more of a "role out"
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #16
SecureTalk

Ok, so now that the DirecTV HD DVR roll out [in one form or another] is starting in August. Is there any firm information of the pricing? Is it being given free to 10-250 owners, $99 or one of the many many claims of cost to the end customers made by folks here?

I am in the Philly, PA market, but not in range of OTA signals, so my only option to get HD locals is via satellite or cable (no OTA).

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on pricing.
SecureTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:32 PM   #17
ebonovic
has gone his way...

No pricing information has been released for the unit.

Roll-out, phased release, release (apply your own tern here)... at the end of the day... the HR20 will be in the hands of customers.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:39 PM   #18
aztivo

Quote:
No pricing information has been released for the unit.

Roll-out, phased release, release (apply your own tern here)... at the end of the day... the HR20 will be in the hands of customers.
isnt this somthing that should actually be talked about on the other site?
Damn you and your D* cheerleading earl you just come here to get certian people frustrated dont you... you can admit it we are all friends here... Long live the S3 Tivo
aztivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #19
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Yes... but with at least 3 other threads (here at TCF)... talking about the delays of the new dvr.

And mentions of it in a few others... I wanted to at least post the updated information here.

I have no issue with taking it over to www.dbstalk.com
We actually already have a discussion thread going there as well:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=61157
Old 07-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #20
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo
isnt this somthing that should actually be talked about on the other site?
Damn you and your D* cheerleading earl you just come here to get certian people frustrated dont you... you can admit it we are all friends here... Long live the S3 Tivo

I wish the S3 no ill-will... I do hope it works the way it is supposed.
TiVo, Inc... paved the ways for DVRs...

I have purchased probably two dozen DTivos and TiVos amongst my family over the last 5 years (seriously, no joke... and that doesn't include all the people I TiVangolized over the last 5 years). I payed several hundred for my GXCEBOTs, and was #5 from Value Electronics for my $899 HR10-250...

TiVo is a great product... never said it wasn't...
I do hope that the CableCard issue get's resolved (with TWC), and Comcast TiVo works out well...

I have no stock or financial connects to DirecTV...
I primarily stay with DirecTV because Comcast is my only other option, except pure ota.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #21
hancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztivo
I too have been wondering what the deal is between these two...

It's not the two of them, just one. Ever seen the scene in Caddyshack with the candy bar floating in the otherwise nice pool? There you go...
hancox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:43 PM   #22
VaHDTVFan

Angry

Quote:
So why are services except from "release" status, when it is only available in limited markets? As service is a product that you purchase... is it not? So how about other technology (such as cell phones) that are only available in specific markets... are they not released?

So why shouldn't they release it to just one market... to make sure their infrustructur is set, the installers are trained, and they work out all the kinks of the logistics of rolling out such a product. That is what they did for the H20 and the AT9 dish (aka.. they started in Detriot, and then moved on). And I don't think we heard "this is damage control", or Detroit is just an elaborate Beta testing city... why is the HR20 any different? They said Q3... and Q3 it is...

"Damage Control"... of course it is damage control... Control of the damage from articles over the last two days, based on outdated information... It was answer to those questions and comments... Heck I bet your surprised that they even came out with a statement this fast....

Define "release" however you want....
But the bottom line is the HR20 will be in the hands of paying customers comes August 2006.
Come on , You have to admit that this is damage control. Wall Street is very discouraged with the tap dancing. The original release was last fall. Then spring( Remember your bet from the begining of the year),then summer, now fall.
E* has a great HD-DVR that works great on Mpeg 4.
If D* does not have these receivers out buy the new network season and the football season there will be quite a few customers changing services. I have given them a deadline of Aug. 30 or I will be switching to E*.
Investors want to see action not dancing with the stars!
VaHDTVFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #23
jfh3

Quote:
This is the formal DirecTV response to the Forbes and Swani articles.
LOL!

I can't imagine anyone bothering to have a formal response to anything Swanni has to say, let alone a corporation like DirecTV.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 PM   #24
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
LOL!

I can't imagine anyone bothering to have a formal response to anything Swanni has to say, let alone a corporation like DirecTV.
True enough...

But there are enough people out there that treat his word as gospel...

As much as a lot of people don't likehim , there are plenty that do..
Old 07-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #25
HiDefGator

Of course I could pick one up in LA and then set it up anywhere in the country I wanted. It's not like D* knows the difference or would care. You just need an AT9 dish.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #26
HDTivoDesire

Is the HR20 going to be useable, or is it junk compared to Tivo functionality?
HDTivoDesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 AM   #27
Billy66
Again with shoelaces

On this forum it will be considered junk. Super junk if the S3 or Comcast isn't released at the same time. Double horrible can't even look at it junk when you come here.

If you go to the other place, or if you plop it in front of a DVR newbie, probably not junk.

It's all perspective.

In any case, it's good news for everyone. Even the TiVo loyalists. Competition will help drive TiVo to continue to offer the highest level of features and service.
Billy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:31 AM   #28
gquiring

I think D* does not want another issue where most of went nuts trying to buy the HR10-250 when it was first released. By limiting it to a market they can better control the inventory limitations.
gquiring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #29
HiDefGator

The phased release gives their tech support time to get up to speed without getting a flood of calls all at once. It's also just a good idea with any new software related product. No matter who does it, it won't be perfect on day one. This will give them a chance to see it in use by real customers and see what needs tweaking before full release.
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:33 AM   #30
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
In any case, it's good news for everyone. Even the TiVo loyalists. Competition will help drive TiVo to continue to offer the highest level of features and service.
You do realize that Tivo has a ton of features DirecTV won't let them release? Mostly because it makes their own DVR look less compelling?

Competition only works in an open market. This is anything but an open market.

!