TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Fourgig

Splitting OTA antenna signal

Stupid question alert...

I have an OTA antenna that's already hooked up to a HR10-250. If I get a second HR10-250, can I just splice something like this into the cable coming off the antenna to feed both HR10's?
Fourgig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Yep.

However, there is no need to waste money on monster cable products. You can buy something like this for 81 cents, which will do the same job as that $10 thing.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
jfelbab
WineBoZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourgig
Stupid question alert...

I have an OTA antenna that's already hooked up to a HR10-250. If I get a second HR10-250, can I just splice something like this into the cable coming off the antenna to feed both HR10's?
A definite maybe. If your original signal is strong enough, this will work. These passive 1 In/2 Out splitters cut your signal strength in half. If you find that the signal is too weak after splitting you will need to add an amplifier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jfelbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

If your signal is so weak that it can't handle being split, then it is too weak anyway. In that case you would probably already have an amp.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
TyroneShoes
HD evangelist

Well, not precisely. A loss of 3 dB (typical of a 2-way hybrid splitter) is enough to send a marginal yet completely watchable DT signal completely off the cliff. But a signal that close to the edge really should have some amplification for reliability. At any point in time you either have a good picture or you have a bad or no picture. When marginal, that state can change rapidly, and a small loss in level can be catastrophic.

But most signals are not marginal. Note your signal quality reading first. Then add the splitter. In most cases the reading will not go down. If it does, yes, an amp is then a very good idea. If it goes up instead, you probably are using a HR10-250 and are benefitting from the attenuation.
TyroneShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #6
newsposter
Poster of News

i have el cheapo home depot splitter with OTA on stacked HDTivos. I do have a 25db leviton amp inline though(home depot also)..maybe that helps. (it's actually 75 ft away from the tivos)

of course i can't get tv without the amp so it's a no brainer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
stiffi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourgig
Stupid question alert...

Just try it. Like someone said, a splitter is less than $1 at most electronics stores. I personally have done this, and, believe it or not I think it helps!

I had to use an attenuator for one receiver because the signal was too strong. With the antenna split between 2 receivers, the signal is fine, without the attenuator.
stiffi is offline   Reply With Quote