TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Closed Thread
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

HR10-250 6.3 upgrade announced

Upgrade is officially coming..........

ENJOY.......FINALLY....

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/con...setId=P3200006
Old 07-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Guess I can now talk about it in more detail...
Old 07-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
codespy
Go A-Rod (Packers)

Allright.....Everybody tackle Earl at once!!
Old 07-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
ebonovic
has gone his way...

I'm a big guy... I can take it..
Old 07-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
ebonovic
has gone his way...

There really isn't much more to tell about it...

Basically the HR10-250 will be the same as the other 6.x systems, with the HD hooks ins.

I hopefully will get the full release notes and maybe a time schedule early in the work week.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
dcbarry

Do I REALLY need to plug in my phone "continuosly"?

Don't the updates come over the dish itself, and the phonecall just gives the order to flip partitions?

I seem to recall that if you view system info that there is an indicator like "pending update" that will let you know that the download is ready and waiting. Am I correct?

d.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
stuart628

I just cant wait to get mine, its coming! tuesday it gets dropped off!
Old 07-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
RunnerFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbarry
Don't the updates come over the dish itself, and the phonecall just gives the order to flip partitions?

I seem to recall that if you view system info that there is an indicator like "pending update" that will let you know that the download is ready and waiting. Am I correct?

d.

You're thinking of the R15 that gets it's upgrades via the Sat Signal. The DirecTiVos get their upgrade via phone line.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Usually on the initial rollouts..
The software will pushout via the SAT, and sit on the hard drive.

Then the phone call connection, will "authorize" the box to apply the update.

Later on... after the initial rollout (probably 6 months), it will download via the phone line.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #10
tase2
Shy Guy

Kudos to Earl and other positive folks for keeping us in the loop and giving us hope
Old 07-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #11
eddyj

So should I be forcing a call every 15 minutes until I get this?

Not that I am eager to get it or anything...
Old 07-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
pkscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
Wow... five whole posts before a threadcrap. Is that a record?
No, I've seen a few with the first post being threadcrap.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
pkscout

I gotta say, I did not believe this would ever come. I might actually keep DirecTV after the S3 comes out if the S3 turns out to be too expensive. That way I can wait until the price drops some.

I've always said if I just had folders and a bit more speed the HD-TiVo was perfect for me.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
whitepelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj
So should I be forcing a call every 15 minutes until I get this?
I would think people will let us know when they start seeing it. If you have a hacked unit you can check in the MFS under /SwSystem (?) to see if you have yet downloaded the software via the satellite.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
acvthree

Native passthrough?

Network support?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican
I would think people will let us know when they start seeing it. If you have a hacked unit you can check in the MFS under /SwSystem (?) to see if you have yet downloaded the software via the satellite.
I was just kidding, I am not that desperate.

Or I am, but I will not admit to it!
Old 07-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
lancelot

Well, this last week, at about 2 am, I was changing channels on my H10, and got a message I had never seen before. It said something like the DVR was retrieving information from the satellite to improve functionality, and if I changed channels, it would disturb the download. Also, the record light came on. The screen showed a progress bar, and the whole thing took about 7 minutes. When it finished, the record light turned off. However, I still have the old software. Any ideas about what this was?
Old 07-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #18
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot
Well, this last week, at about 2 am, I was changing channels on my H10, and got a message I had never seen before. It said something like the DVR was retrieving information from the satellite to improve functionality, and if I changed channels, it would disturb the download. Also, the record light came on. The screen showed a progress bar, and the whole thing took about 7 minutes. When it finished, the record light turned off. However, I still have the old software. Any ideas about what this was?
Do you mean "H10" or "HR10-250"? The H10 is a HiDef DirecTV Receiver, not a DVR. Your H10 might very well have been receiving a receiver update.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 07-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #19
jcricket

Yay speed. I can't wait.

I'd love all the other features we all long(ed) for (native passthrough, HMO, etc.) but I'll settle for a more responsive box with folders. The rest is really gravy for me.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #20
jhimmel

I'd say that some people owe some users here an apology, like richierich who said -

"I told all of you a year ago that it won't happen because they are not going to invest any more resources in a unit that they are going to replace with their own DVR, the HR20-250!! But so many were blind and just don't understand the corporate mentality & strategy!!!"

Calling people "blind" and basically -stupid- for believing they may possibly get an update.

Because none of us could know for sure if the update would come, and since there are a lot of considerations that go into "corporate mentality & strategy" as to make it impossible to accurately guess, those comments were offensive and, quite frankly, not too smart.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #21
mr.unnatural

Quote:
You're thinking of the R15 that gets it's upgrades via the Sat Signal. The DirecTiVos get their upgrade via phone line.
You couldn't be more wrong. ALL DTivos get their updates via the sats. The update doesn't get installed until the DTivo calls the mothership and gets the initialization command to begin the installation. The software update is stored in slices in the mfs filesystem until needed.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #22
drew2k
Drew != Drawn

Earl -

I've only had my HR10-250's since last October, so I've never been through an update (of the HD units) pushed out by DirecTV. The DirecTV page says some settings will be reset and mentions banner, favorites, and parental controls. Do you know if that is the complete list, or will this upgrade reset or leave alone other settings, such as Aspect Correction, Output Format, Remote Control IDs, etc. (The remote control ID is a biggie for me, as I have three TiVos in the living room!)

Thanks, and when the mood strikes, feel free to say "I told you so!" to all those who doubted this update would ever see the light of day!
Old 07-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #23
gatorbait

Anyone know what will happen with our zippered machines that never dial in/fake phone call?

Last edited by gatorbait : 07-08-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #24
bidger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot
Any ideas about what this was?
At 2:00 or 2:30AM nightly the DVR downloads program guide data from the satellite. A regular TiVo has to do this with a daily phone call or broadband connection.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimmel
I'd say that some people owe some users here an apology.....
Yeah, but we will probably have to wait even longer for that than we waited for the update.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #26
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbait
Anyone know what will happen with our zippered machines that never dial in/fake phone call?
Nothing. No phone call means no update install.

The update will be on the hard disk waiting for the authorization to install. You will probably be able to process the installation ("load the slices") yourself, but the details will have to wait for those who know. You'll also want to wait to see what needs to be done to re-hack 6.3.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #27
gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel
Nothing. No phone call means no update install.

The update will be on the hard disk waiting for the authorization to install. You will probably be able to process the installation ("load the slices") yourself, but the details will have to wait for those who know. You'll also want to wait to see what needs to be done to re-hack 6.3.
Thanks for your thoughts. I figured I better post this in the "zippered" thread underground and have done so there.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #28
RunnerFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural
You couldn't be more wrong. ALL DTivos get their updates via the sats. The update doesn't get installed until the DTivo calls the mothership and gets the initialization command to begin the installation. The software update is stored in slices in the mfs filesystem until needed.
Heh, ok then tell me why it is when I first got my HR10-250 it's first phone call was over an hour because it was downloading 3.1.5f?? That download did NOT come via the Sat...
Old 07-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #29
ebonovic
has gone his way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerFL
Heh, ok then tell me why it is when I first got my HR10-250 it's first phone call was over an hour because it was downloading 3.1.5f?? That download did NOT come via the Sat...
Because the last update for the HR10-250 was about 18-20 months ago, and was no longer on the SAT data stream...

After about 3-6 months they pull the software from the SAT stream and only make it availalbe via phone connection.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #30
Arcady
Stargate Fan

As Earl said, new updates come over the satellite. When an update has been around for a while, then you get it via the phone line. When 6.2 first came out, it came via the sat. Now it comes via the phone line. I'd guess that 6.3 will roll out over the sat initially, just like 6.2.

*sitting here drooling over finally getting MRV in the living room*
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Closed Thread