TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #241
toddc

I have an 810 which I do use, but not as regularly as my S3 with a 750GB drive attached :-)

The problem is that the last few days, it started responding slow to the remote.

Is this a sign that the hard drive is going?
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #242
toddc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T. View Post
Does anyone know where I can obtain the DVR-57H manuals? Can't find anything online.
The 810 manual which is pretty much the same, maybe Pioneer has another page for the 57

The manual does not say if it is for a 57 or 810

is at

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...R-810H-S?tab=D

and the manual is at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...DVR-810H-S.pdf
Old 01-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #243
Audiodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T. View Post
Does anyone know where I can obtain the DVR-57H manuals? Can't find anything online.
TODDC is correct in stating it's the same manual for the 810 and 57H.
Audiodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:33 PM   #244
Willie T.

toddc...

Ever try to download 251 pages of .pdf's on slow dial-up
Willie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #245
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Thumbs down Weaknees = banged up DVR

Well...
After sending my Tivo off to Weaknees for an upgrade and burner repair, it took a week (not unreasonable) and my unit came back severely scratched and banged up.
I have not yet connected everything, (because they also neglected to send the adapter I ordered), but I'm wondering... Is this how this place operates? I take care of my stuff. I don't bang the snot out of it. I paid A LOT for this repair. Has anyone else had issues with them in this way?
evilipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #246
bicker
Gruff

I haven't heard that, but you'll get more response on a more frequented forum, like the TiVo Coffee House.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #247
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Thanks, bicker. I posted here since the issue was a burner repair and I know a few folks here are considering it. So both as a question and a caveat.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 AM   #248
New Pioneer

Powering Up Grey Screen

I have a three year old 810H that is hooked up to a Slingbox at a remote location that locked up in the powering up mode. Based on the strings attached I am going to try to replace the hard drive since there is no disk in the DVD and the power supply checks out ok. It might be the motherboard and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what happens when the battery on the board fails....would the powering up failure be the result? I assume the battery serves to power up the firmware and for some reason Pioneer has chosen to solder it in place.
New Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #249
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Not the battery... those things last something like 10 years. Most likely the hard drive as you suspect already. Let me know if you need an image for the new drive.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #250
New Pioneer

Wink re:Powering Up Grey Screen

Robert,

Thanks for the response and offer to provide image. I'm going to try and copy and image from my other 810 to a larger hard drive and see if that works since I could use the extra storage. If all else fails I guess I can always sell this one on ebay for parts.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #251
New Pioneer

Robert,

Rather than copying an image from a working HDD I would like to get an image to copy to a new hard drive. What is the best place to get one? I tried the hard drive that was giving me the grey powering up screen in my working 810 and got the same results so it looks like the hard drive is the problem but I would prefer not to have to take the working drive out of the unit since we are using it to record every day. I have a new 320 MB PATA Maxtor drive I would like to set up for the other 810.

thanks,
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM   #252
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Pioneer View Post
Robert,

Rather than copying an image from a working HDD I would like to get an image to copy to a new hard drive. What is the best place to get one? I tried the hard drive that was giving me the grey powering up screen in my working 810 and got the same results so it looks like the hard drive is the problem but I would prefer not to have to take the working drive out of the unit since we are using it to record every day. I have a new 320 MB PATA Maxtor drive I would like to set up for the other 810.

thanks,
Check your PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #253
weaknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilipoo View Post
Well...
After sending my Tivo off to Weaknees for an upgrade and burner repair, it took a week (not unreasonable) and my unit came back severely scratched and banged up.
I have not yet connected everything, (because they also neglected to send the adapter I ordered), but I'm wondering... Is this how this place operates? I take care of my stuff. I don't bang the snot out of it. I paid A LOT for this repair. Has anyone else had issues with them in this way?
I just thought I'd comment on this situation:

We treat our customer's units VERY carefully when they are in our custody. We know how important TiVos are to people, and not only do we get repairs done quickly (the upgrade in this case was done within 1-2 days, if I recall, and took a few days in transit to get back to the customer), but we treat units well when they are here.

That is why we were shocked to hear about the damage to this customer's unit. When we got the unit back for inspection, it was clear that something had pierced the box and slammed into the lid, causing a dent that no human could have made (there was a hole in the box exactly where you'd expect it to be).

We offered to source a replacement lid from Pioneer and we offered to help pursue a claim with UPS, but the customer was not interested in waiting for either, so we shipped it back.

In fairness, there were other issues with this customer's order that WERE our fault, and we rectified those as soon as humanly possible.

However, the damage to the box was absolutely not our doing, and we think it is appropriate that the story is updated with the facts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #254
evilipoo
Trust no 1

At the risk of getting into a pissing contest—which is truly not my intention—here are the rest of the facts:

The adapter was sent as soon as I made Weaknees aware that it had not been included in my original shipment. Thank you. No apology was offered. Oh well.

I did accept Weaknees offer to ship my unit back to them so that they could make the extra space on this new drive available to me. They did do this. They did not offer to compensate me in any way for my inconvenience. (I paid for the premium upgrade which includes transferring all of my programming and it would have been nice if even a small discount would have been offered. I did have to wait for the adapter and send my unit back to them for service, after all). But I did finally get an apology, after asking for one.

I also accepted Weaknees theory of how the case got banged up. Though I will say that it does not matter how I turn the DVR in the box or what configuration the padding is in, the hole in the box does not line up with the gouge on the case. But I accepted that it will stay as it is because I wanted the unit back and it does not affect the functionality, so fine.

Last night—two weeks after the upgrade--Tivo froze up and had to be restarted. This is new—the device had always been stable prior to this upgrade. That reboot must have awakened Alvin and the Chipmunks because as of today, Tivo is squeaking like crazy. Does not matter if it is recording something or not, the unit makes a chirping/squeaking sound every minute or so. This is really, really annoying not to mention completely new to me. And lest you think this has nothing to do with the upgrade, think again. I never heard more than a "hummmm" previously—post upgrade I get constant whirring and clicking (and now, squeaking) like a pc that is short on resources. To be fair, I have not yet notified Weaknees of this issue. In fact, I was about to post in the Coffee House to see what other folks’ experiences have been and to get input on what my next course of action might be.

So while I certainly appreciate all the work that has been done, and I am happy with the burner replacement, I know that more than one thing went wrong with my service and upgrade order. I am feeling very, very overcharged, to say the least (the entire service order with burner replacement, upgrade and adapter came to over $600). And I feel like I am out of options. The device has already been sent back once… what are the odds that it will come back even marginally functional if I send it back again?

And for anyone thinking about sending their Tivo in to Weaknees… Caveat Emptor.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #255
TiVoEvan74

Follow up with them again. Everything I've seen and read about suggests that they are responsive and will work with you to make things right. Isn't the replacement drive under warranty?

PM the rep that responded here.
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #256
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Thanks, TivoEvan. I did not even think to do that. Will do.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #257
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

How do you have a problem with a business' service and never think of contacting them about it???
Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #258
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
How do you have a problem with a business' service and never think of contacting them about it???
I have contacted them. I've called, emailed, posted on their board (which is what they ask you to do for support). PM I had not thought of. Which is why I thanked the person who made the suggestion. My issue is not that Weaknees as not been responsive--they have been. My issue is that 3 weeks into this process, there still seem to be issues with the upgrade part of the service order. And while my hope is that this new (chirping) issue is under warranty, I received no docs explaining what was covered or for how long. And frankly at this point, I would like to avoid shipping the unit again, though I just don't know how that is possible.

Last edited by evilipoo : 02-11-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #259
POWERMIKE

802.11g With 810h Pioneer

Are there any 802.11G adapters that will work, at G speeds??
POWERMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #260
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERMIKE View Post
Are there any 802.11G adapters that will work, at G speeds??
The Tivo Wireless G adapter is the best bet.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #261
toddc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
The Tivo Wireless G adapter is the best bet.
The TiVo wireless G adapter is the *only* one that will work at G speed.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #262
donniedarko
donniedarko

RE: "Weaknees = banged up DVR" posted by evilipoo
I had the same issue! Last January, during the Superbowl, the drive on my Pioneer 810-H started to go. I contacted Weaknees and ordered a new drive (420 hours, I record a lot of films). When my unit was returned there was what could only be described as a triangular shaped "bend" on the left side of the unit, almost as if someone tried to pry the side off. I contacted Weaknees, even sent pictures of the damage, and the only response I could get was basically "Well, we inspect every unit for damage when it comes in, and yours didn't show any, but trust me, it couldn't have been us - you should contact UPS". When I sent in my unit it was EXTRA carefully packed, oversized box to accomodate the bubble wrapping AND styrofoam wedges on the top, bottom and sides. No way it was damaged by UPS. Since the mechanics of the drive worked fine, I was forced to just accept the cosmetic damage to the side. However, I will never use Weaknees again. Sorry you had the same experience, I can surely relate.

Last edited by donniedarko : 03-20-2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Didn't include initial post reference
donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #263
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Thanks, donniedarko. I have been holding off on posting, because I wanted to make sure that everything worked ok (and was relatively stable) first...

After 2 returns (plus the initial shipment for a total of 3 round trips for Tivo) it appears that Weaknees has, in fact, resolved the issues that I mentioned above. While I can't say that I am thrilled with the service, I will say that they did eventually fix everything except the cosmetic damage and that is not critical to me.

I am still dissapointed in the service in that in all the times that I contacted them, never once would anyone give me their name, even when I asked directly. I always got responses like "Thanks for your note!" or "You have gotten emails from everyone here." And in the middle of all the frustration with the hardware issues, that was just inappropriate. Also, there was a LOT of blaming UPS, even though if the drive had been installed and formatted correctly to begin with, it would only have been shipped once. It seems that people have much better luck with the drives that they buy to swap out themselves. It's when the unit gets sent in that things go haywire.

My burner works now, and the hard drive shows the correct capacity so I guess that is all I can ask for.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #264
TiVoEvan74

Appreciate the follow up. While it may only be an N of 2, it is troublesome as the Weaknees response was similar.

Is the cosmetic damage somewhere that would be involved in their opening the case? I wonder if one of their technicians was too rough on the unit-- or ran into trouble opening it up! If so, they should have come clean and even replaced the unit entirely and sold the damaged one as a used unit.

It's giving me pause now about sending in a unit for an upgrade.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #265
donniedarko
donniedarko

Hi TiVOEvan....
I went back through the emails I had saved from Weaknees and thought I would share a couple of quotes - I, too, though the damage could have been caused from trying to open the case, and was told (by Weaknees) that I was wrong. I wish I could upload pics here, I could show everyone exactly what the outer damage looks like (I don't have them uploaded to a URL, just saved in a folder).

(Email replies from Weaknees)
"We're sorry to hear about situation.

We don't remove the front on that unit to replace the hard drive. Is it possible that it was damaged in shipping? If we received units here damaged, we note it, and we didn't. So it should have been fine when it arrived here. If there were any problem here, we'd note that also. Further, you can imagine how many of these we work on. If we damaged them (even just cosmetically) we'd be long out of business."

"Thanks for the pictures. I can certainly confirm that upgrading your unit cannot possibly cause that damage. We do not touch or remove the faceplate to do the upgrade.......I suppose it is possible that our tech missed shipping damage to the unit when he opened your box, but honestly, to see damage that severe would be accompanied by damage to the outer carton--generally hard to miss. Did you closely inspect the carton that the unit was packaged in from us to you?"

We continued to exchange a few more emails and I finally gave up, realizing that they were not going to admit that it could even potentially be their responsibility, just kept telling me to take it up with UPS. They return your unit in the same box you use to send it in (unless damaged, of course) and when I received it back there was no outer damage (it was a sturdy box - I sell on eBay and know the importance of shipping well, especially with something this valuable to me).

I'm not telling everyone to stay away from Weaknees, just sharing my one particular experience. I'm sure there are dozens of good ones out there to counter mine.

Maybe contact them first with your concerns, see what they have to say? If they hear of enough people concerned with using their services, maybe it will make them step up and pay greater attention to their handling of the units.

Good luck!
donniedarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #266
TiVoEvan74

Again most helpful! Their e-mail is polite enough, but, as you note, it was obvious that they were trying to pin the blame on you! Maybe their busy tech dropped the unit and didn't tell anyone... It fell off his work table.

That's the only explanation left that I can think of. They themselves admit that the shipping carton would have had to have be really damaged to hurt the TiVo that much.

Wow! That's distressing.

Of course, I just remembered that I was really kicking around the idea of buying of their refurbished Human DVD TiVos... which means that they wouldn't have any excuses... wait, they would. They'd say it was the shipper!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #267
Skuits

*****Will the 810 act as a digital converter from analog antenna broadcast???

Hello all, I have both a Pioneer 810 and a Toshiba Tivo w/ basic subscription. I use an antenna to recieve tv stations (no cable whatsoever) and I wondered if the Tivo will act as a converter so I don't have to get one of those converter boxes the gov. is giving coupons for?

If I do have to use a converter box, how will it work with my Tivo? IR blaster???

Thanks,
Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #268
bicker
Gruff

I'm awaiting an official answer from TiVo about which converter boxes my Pioneer 810 will work with. So far, nothing I consider a suitable option. I do expect that should an option become available, it will rely on the IR blaster.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #269
Skuits

I am so frustrated with this whole thing. I've purposely avoided getting cable and it looks like now I am being punished. That is if I can't use my Tivo with my antenna! I tried using the converter box and lost a lot of valuable channels. PBS was one of those. I assume it's because the switch isn't official yet.? I also read that it may be that some stations won't necessarily stop broadcasting on analog.?

I am blown away that Tivo hasn't embraced this situation as of yet. I hope there is a cure in the works!!!

Thanks,
Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #270
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Search for Voom receivers

Check out this thread for controlling a Voom receiver as a HD OTA receiver. It should work for the Pioneer and Toshiba TiVos, as they are Series 2 TiVos.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=350283
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote