TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 AM   #211
DennisTheMenace7

Format IT

You can just format it and use it for your PC. Now that was easy.
DennisTheMenace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #212
rgarretson

Red face Exact model # for HD replacement?

I'm trying to revive my 810H w/ a Lifetime sub and a failed HD, and I saw the Seagate DB35 series recommended in several places and sold as upgrades on Weaknees and DVRUpgrade.com. So I just found a good price on a 500GB drive from a reputable online seller, only to discover that it's an SATA model that won't work in the Pioneer. So now I'm looking for a replacement for my replacement, and I understand from robomeister that I need a PATA drive, but I can't quite confirm which DB35 models have a PATA interface. They have something called ATA-100, which I'm guessing is a PATA interface, but not being a hardward guy, I can't be certain. For the Seagate DB35 Series, I've come across the two models below that I think may be compatible. Does anyone out there know for sure that one or both of these will work? Anyone know the difference between the DB35.2 and DB35.3 models?

ST3500830ACE
ST3500841ACE

Thanks in advance. ...

--Rob

TivoHD, Lifetime
Pio 810H, 500GB, Seagate DB35, Lifetime
DirecTivo HR10-250 (reluctantly retired)
rgarretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #213
Skuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarretson
I'm trying to revive my 810H w/ a Lifetime sub and a failed HD, and I saw the Seagate DB35 series recommended in several places and sold as upgrades on Weaknees and DVRUpgrade.com. So I just found a good price on a 500GB drive from a reputable online seller, only to discover that it's an SATA model that won't work in the Pioneer. So now I'm looking for a replacement for my replacement, and I understand from robomeister that I need a PATA drive, but I can't quite confirm which DB35 models have a PATA interface. They have something called ATA-100, which I'm guessing is a PATA interface, but not being a hardward guy, I can't be certain. For the Seagate DB35 Series, I've come across the two models below that I think may be compatible. Does anyone out there know for sure that one or both of these will work? Anyone know the difference between the DB35.2 and DB35.3 models?

ST3500830ACE
ST3500841ACE

Thanks in advance. ...

--Rob

I am not sure about the drives you've mentioned try comparing the specs side by side. I recently replaced my Pioneer's drive with a Western Digital Caviar SE WD5000AAJB 500GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive from Newegg for just over $100.

The specs on the Western Digital were similar to the Seagate drive and I've had no problems. I nearly filled up the drive at this point and all is well. The Pioneer takes an IDE drive which is basically the first ever hard drive interface (I think). A PATA interface is also know as an IDE drive which I believe is a more common term.? You need the IDE drive which is basically a description of the cable plug in. I looked around quite a bit before buying the Western Digital and I am happy with its performance. There may be an adapter for your SATA drive, but it seems like it might complicate things. I say go with a large reputable drive and enjoy your increased space.

In case you didn't know, the igmage on the Pioneer is locked so you have to run a command line that unlocks the image for the newly increased space. You can find all the info at MSFlive.org.

Good luck!

Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #214
shakatak

810H wont record to hard drive

Hello All

First let me state that I had a hard drive fail, no problem replaced drive , unit fired right up, went through set up, everything seemed fine.

Not so ! Set to record a movie as I was tired and needed sleep, checked the next morning , unit had not recorded, received error message # 51 hardware issue call Pioneer customer service.

Any thoughts, actions or ideas ?

Thanks
shakatak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #215
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakatak View Post
Hello All

First let me state that I had a hard drive fail, no problem replaced drive , unit fired right up, went through set up, everything seemed fine.

Not so ! Set to record a movie as I was tired and needed sleep, checked the next morning , unit had not recorded, received error message # 51 hardware issue call Pioneer customer service.

Any thoughts, actions or ideas ?

Thanks
Did you use an image that was created from your stock drive? If not, did you remember to do a Clear and Delete Everything after replacing the drive?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:14 PM   #216
shakatak

Pioneer 810H wont record to hard drive

Hi GENERALTSU

I had bought and installed a formatted plug and play Seagate drive, followed all instuctions for install, however it didn't say anything about clear and delete.
It that is the problem keeping me from recording ,how is it fixed ?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2007, 02:20 PM   #217
generaltso

Quote:
Hi GENERALTSU

I had bought and installed a formatted plug and play Seagate drive, followed all instuctions for install, however it didn't say anything about clear and delete.
It that is the problem keeping me from recording ,how is it fixed ?

Thanks
Yes, that's your problem. Run a "Clear and Delete Everything" and go through guided setup again. That will fix it.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #218
saberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister View Post
Or, a friendly TiVoCommunity member could help you replace your drive. PM me if you want to discuss terms. I could do it for significantly less than $350. I could buy 2 Pioneer TiVos from ebay for that price.

robomeister
Thanks for the offer but if I want to go that route I can replace the drive myself.

When I spoke to the Pioneer support rep he said they charged a flat fee of $350 to repair an 810HS. It didn't matter what the problem was. (I assume they just ship another factor refurbushed unit and then see if your unit is worth salvaging.) But a number of folks have posted messages quoting $200 for Pioneer repairs. I just wanted to know where the $200 quote for Pioneer repairs was coming from. Is there an "offical" repair depot that will repair the 810HS for $200 or replace the hard drive for $200?
saberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #219
shakatak

Big Grin Pioneer 810H wont record to hard drive

Hi Generaltsu

Just wanted to say thank you, the "Clear & Delete" did the trick.

The Pioneer is fully renewed and recording as I write this.

Shakatak:
Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #220
generaltso

Quote:
Hi Generaltsu

Just wanted to say thank you, the "Clear & Delete" did the trick.

The Pioneer is fully renewed and recording as I write this.

Shakatak:
No prob. That step is often overlooked.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #221
Semco

Love my 810. Faster processing than my series 2 box, faster transfering too. Hoping to upgrade the HD soon here...
Semco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #222
amazing210

pioneer dvr-810h problems

so my unit was stuck on "powering up" and i figured it was the hard drive...so i bought a seagate 160gig....PATA/100 model number......it is a correct hard drive for this unit i believe.....i put it in and it still says powering up?????? i just want this thing to work again.....i was sure this would fix the problem.......and i really dont want to dump a ton of money into it.....any feedback would be wonderful......
amazing210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #223
bicker
Gruff

Often, in the past, when someone's 810 was stuck on "Powering Up", the problem is that there is a bad DVD in the DVD drive. You would need to use a paper clip to eject the disk and then reboot. (I don't think you can just drop a new hard drive into a TiVo -- it needs to be initialized with the TiVo software.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #224
amazing210

thanks for your feedback, there is no dvd in there.......and where would i get the software.......i just want it to work again
amazing210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #225
bicker
Gruff

Here is one source:

http://store.tivocommunity.com/merch...&Store_Code=EA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #226
jimmy3526

Arrow Pionner 810h-s keeps powering up

I bought a Pioneer DVR-810h-s back in late 2003 and loved it. Within the past year, I stopped using it as I switched over to DirectTV DVR (for different reasons).

Yesterday, I decided to try to sell my 810 on eBay so I deleted and cleared everything. That's when my problems started. Now the unit just continues to power up, then tells me there is a "serious problem."

I've read this forum for suggestions as much as I can.

I've checked for a dvd and there is none inside. I've run the following kickstarts 57, 58, 56, 52 and even 0. No change. Until now, I've never had any problems.

Since I no longer use it, I'm not willing to buy a new harddrive which appears to be the only remaining solution.

Should I kick it to the curb? or does someone want it for parts?

Thanks for all your help.
jimmy3526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #227
toddc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy3526 View Post

Should I kick it to the curb? or does someone want it for parts?
Given the number of DVD failures, it is probably worth it for parts.

try selling it on Ebay for parts.

Hope this does not happen to mine as it still has lifetime on it.
toddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #228
evilipoo
Trust no 1

If the burner was still functional as far as you knew, I am interested in it for parts. PM me if you would like to discuss further.
evilipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #229
StreetWired

Pioneer DVR-810H DVD replacement

My question is, if I buy a like unit, the Pioneer dvr-810H and take a working dvd unit from it, can I safely put it into my unit and have it play & record properly? After all, shouldn't the firmware be the same on every DVR-810H sold?
StreetWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #230
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Streetwired,

Yes, all DVD burners from Pioneer DVR-810H-S will work in any other Pioneer TiVo. I've done this several times myself. The fun part is getting the drive out of the TiVo without damaging anything. Most of the Pioneer TiVos have a Pioneer DVR-A05 equivalent with special firmware. I have a couple that have a Pioneer DVR-A06 equivalent, but most have the A05 drive in them. But all have special firmware installed in them. The only known way to fix a malfunctioning burner in a Pioneer TiVo is to replace the burner with one from another Pioneer TiVo.

If you can find a way to read out the firmware from a DVD burner from a Pioneer TiVo, then flash it into a regular Pioneer DVR-A05 equivalent, you'd be a hero on this forum.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #231
Aragorn

I have a Pioneer 810H that is in excellent shape, is there a way to use this with DirecTV for SD channels? If not if anyone is interested I would be selling it soon. So far it has been rock solid as a player/recorder etc...
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #232
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Aragorn,

You should have no problems using your Pioneer with DirecTV. You just need a DirecTV SD receiver. Then re-run Guided Setup so it will control the DirecTV receiver. Easy.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #233
sbobsbob

recording to dvd on a Pioneer dvr/dvd a program downloaded from another tivo

Has anyone figured out a way to record to the dvd on the Pioneer dvr/dvd a downloaded program from another Tivo ?
sbobsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #234
Audiodynamics

Dvr-57h

Since switching to the S3 HD, I haven't used my Pioneer Elite DVR-57H in over a year. I never really used the DVD player or burner anyway and originally purchased it for the superior build quality and superior picture quality over component video. The S3's picture quality certainly outshines the DVR-57H, although the Elite's build quality is unrivaled in the TiVo world.

So what do you guys recommend I do with the DVR-57H? Since the original cost was (I think $1,800.00?), is the current value so low it's worth keeping or is it worth selling?

How much are the DVR-57H's selling for and where is the best place to advertise?

Of course, I have the original carton and packaging, manuals, accessories and remote. Condition is rated 9/10 for use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Audiodynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #235
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodynamics View Post
Since switching to the S3 HD, I haven't used my Pioneer Elite DVR-57H in over a year. I never really used the DVD player or burner anyway and originally purchased it for the superior build quality and superior picture quality over component video. The S3's picture quality certainly outshines the DVR-57H, although the Elite's build quality is unrivaled in the TiVo world.

So what do you guys recommend I do with the DVR-57H? Since the original cost was (I think $1,800.00?), is the current value so low it's worth keeping or is it worth selling?

How much are the DVR-57H's selling for and where is the best place to advertise?

Of course, I have the original carton and packaging, manuals, accessories and remote. Condition is rated 9/10 for use.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Does it have lifetime service?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #236
evilipoo
Trust no 1

Would have basic at least.
evilipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #237
generaltso

It looks like a used 57H without lifetime plus could get between $350 and $400 on ebay. More if it has lifetime or an upgraded drive.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #238
Audiodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Does it have lifetime service?
No Lifetime. I transferred the Lifetime Service to the S3.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #239
Audiodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
It looks like a used 57H without lifetime plus could get between $350 and $400 on ebay. More if it has lifetime or an upgraded drive.
I appreciate the replies!

I hate eBay, but $400.00 would motivate me to let it go.

It may not have an upgraded hardrive or lifetime service, but I can count on 2 hands how many times I've used the DVD drive to either watch or burn a DVD. Hopefully it will appeal to someone who wants a reliable unit to start out with who has the intentions of installing a larger hard drive?

I'll keep an eye on those fleabay auctions and perhaps try my luck posting it.

Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #240
Willie T.

Does anyone know where I can obtain the DVR-57H manuals? Can't find anything online.
Willie T. is offline   Reply With Quote