TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2007, 12:09 AM   #181
Skuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister
Skuits,

I'll try to answer your questions as you asked them.

Nope, no discount on already having TiVo Basic. But if you are willing to pay up front for 3 years of service, it can be had for $299. That is a little over $8 a month. And if you plan to have the TiVo at a friends house, you could set up season passes remotely from any internet connection. When you sign up for service, you create an account on tivo.com. Your account will show all your TiVos and you can do Online Scheduling. Makes things really easy. TiVos with just TiVo Basic cannot be added to your tivo.com account.

Upgrading is pretty easy on the Pioneers. To open the unit, all you need is a standard philips head screwdriver, no Torx 10 or Torx 15 needed. To do the upgrade yourself, having a computer with 2 IDE chains makes things much easier. Many newer computers don't have 2 IDE chains, so upgrading is a bit of a pain. You also need a mfs tools boot CD. I've used the one available at weaknees and the one available at mfslive.org . mfslive.org has a handy online command line generator.

Basically, you take the hard drive out of the Pioneer (assuming it works with no problems), set it to master, put in a larger blank drive, set it to slave, attach both to the same IDE chain, keep your CD or DVD player on the other IDE chain, disconnect your Windows hard drive (important step), run the command to copy the old drive onto the new drive, remove the drives from the computer, set the new drive to Cable Select, re-assemble the TiVo and you're done. Sounds like a lot, but it's not too bad.

When I did my first upgrades, I followed the weaknees instructions. They were very helpful.

For more info on upgrading, check out the Tivo Upgrade Center here on this site.

Good luck,
robomeister
Hello again, can I put the hard drive from the Pioneer into an external enclosure and using a USB port, copy it that way?

Thanks,
Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #182
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Quote:
Hello again, can I put the hard drive from the Pioneer into an external enclosure and using a USB port, copy it that way?
I think so. Check out the www.mfslive.org site for more explicit details.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #183
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

saberman,

It sounds like your hard drive is failing. It is rather easy, if you like tinkering with computers, to replace the hard drive. If the drive is still functional, you can download a free CD ISO from www.mfslive.org and copy your existing drive (including recorded shows) to a new and larger drive. For the cost of the new drive.

Or you could download instant cake from www.dvrupgrade.com for $20 and copy a fresh TiVo Operating System (OS) image to a new drive and revive your TiVo that way.

The lifetime subscription stays with the unit, even after changing the hard drive.

Or, a friendly TiVoCommunity member could help you replace your drive. PM me if you want to discuss terms. I could do it for significantly less than $350. I could buy 2 Pioneer TiVos from ebay for that price.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 09-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #184
pvarjak

Newbie questions

I'm rather new to the Tivo/DVD thing, so please bear with me.

I had a couple of questions regarding the Pioneer 810/57H units.

1. Is there really a difference between the 810 and the 57H (other than the color and the HD size)? I know that there is talk that the Elite model has a heftier construction etc., but I was wondering if this was just marketing hype.

2. This is a Pioneer/Toshiba question. I know that the Pioneer units only have S-video input from the cable source and I was wondering if this was also true of the Toshiba RS-TX20/60 units as well. The spec sheets at Toshiba suggest it is the same, but they are not fully detailed.

Thanks
pvarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #185
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

The Pioneer TiVos have 2 sets of inputs on the back, 1 with S-video and composite video with stereo audio, 1 with just composite video and stereo audio. They also have 3 sets of outputs, 1 component video and 2 with S-video and composite with stereo audio. There is also an optical audio output for Dolby surround and DTS from DVD playback.

The Toshiba RS-TX20 has one set of inputs on the back, with S-video and on set on the front, under a flip down panel. They also have 2 sets of outputs, 1 component video and 1 S-video and composite with stereo audio. There is also an optical audio output for Dolby surround and DTS from DVD playback.

The differences between the 810H and the 57H are hard to describe. The 57H is studier and heavier, has a 120GB drive and possibly better encoding/decoding circuitry. I own a couple of both and don't notice much difference between them.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #186
pvarjak

Thanks Robo.

I started reading the thread from the beginning but gave up too early. I see on the page before this that the question had already come up and been answered. Sorry for making you repeat it.
pvarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #187
cubfan65
John

I am an 810H and a Toshiba RX-20 owner. Toshiba has been upgraded to the lifetime and using basic on the 810H. Love the units. Curious to know why they don't manufacturer these type of units anymore. This was a great concept which still has lots of validity, despite everything now going to HD. Seems that Pioneer, Toshiba, and Humax were the only manufacturers and surprised that others did not follow. Was it TiVo that put the squash on these cause of free basic service?
cubfan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #188
bicker
Gruff

Not likely, as they didn't necessarily need to continue offering the basic service in order to continue producing that type of DVR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #189
generaltso

My guess is that the hardware manufacturers just weren't making money on those units. Pioneer actually had to settle a class action lawsuit after the release of the 810H & 57H due to poor picture quality (which was later fixed with a software update). Once TiVo2Go was released, I just don't think there was enough of a demand for the DVD units.

That being said, I love my Pioneer and Humax boxes, but they're getting dated. The perfect box for me would be an S3 with a built in DVD drive. Even if it wasn't a burner, it would be nice to not have to change inputs on my TV to watch a DVD.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #190
Skuits

MFSLive CD not working???

Hello all, I recently upgraded my Pioneer 810H with the careful guidance from Robomeister

I had to use the weeknees boot disc because I couldn't get the MFSlive.org boot disc to work.? I wondered if anyone else had any trouble with it? I finally got the copy to work and expand the capacity of the drive after trying several different command lines (mostly because I didn't know what I was doing). But I'd like to know why the MSFLive ISO boot disco wouldn't work for me. Could it be the computer I was using to run the disco???

Thanks for the help,

Mark
Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #191
drumboney

Cool Accidentally zoomed my status bar (DVR 57H)

Hi all,

I was watching a DVD in my 57H today and I accidentally zoomed the status bar and I believe the actual frame of the movie. How did I do this? I've consulted the manual to no avail and I read all the posts in this (awesome) community but I haven't found the answer. Thanks in advance!
drumboney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #192
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Does your TV has a zoom ability? I've had the DVR-810H since it was released (same thing as the 57H internally) and I don't know of any 'zoom' modes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 AM   #193
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Anyone know if the DVD drive from other non-TiVo Pioneer DVR units will work in a 810H or 57H?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #194
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Hmm, that might be something to try. I now have a couple Toshiba TX20s I can experiment with. I'll let you know what I find out.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 09-14-2007, 12:46 AM   #195
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Thanks
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #196
Skuits

Hello all, with only having basic service can one use the Internet features on the 810H?

Also, is it best to "sleep" the 810 when not in use? Will it sleep it self after a certain amount of time on non-use?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #197
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Yes, the 810H works with basic analog cable - but you need an Internet broadband connection for Internet features. That can be DSL, cable modem, whatever - but not dial-up.

It doesn't really matter if you 'sleep' it, and it won't sleep on its own.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #198
GT1Boy
got tivo?

I think that Skuits was asking if the 810H has the internet features like TiVoCast, Yahoo Weather/Traffic, Swivel Search, Online Scheduling, etc without purchasing TiVo Plus service. Nope you cannot use those features without TiVo Plus service.

I just cancelled TiVo Plus on my old 810H (I had transferred lifetime from it to my Series3 last year and the one year of service is up) and have found that KidZone is still active on it, but I can't change any of the KidZone settings. I'll probably end up doing a full reset and guided setup on it again to clear everything since it's only now being used by my kids for their children's shows and as a DVD player.

Last edited by GT1Boy : 09-17-2007 at 01:24 PM.
GT1Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #199
Skuits

Ya I was referring to the Internet options. I didn't think I could use those features but thought it was worth asking those "in the know."

thanks,

Mark
Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #200
ProudMonkey

Anybody have trouble getting Amazon to work with their Pioneer? I just got mine finally hooked back up to a network and was looking forward to using this feature and its not there. I have everything else...but no Amazon. I've updated a number of times b/c i thought it may show up, no dice. Any tips would be appreciated!
ProudMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #201
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Do you have TiVo Plus or TiVo Basic? I'm not 100% positive, but Unbox only works with TiVos with a paid subscription. That's my theory, anyway.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #202
GT1Boy
got tivo?

Yes, I can verify that TiVo Plus is required for Amazon Unbox. I just cancelled Plus on my 810 and Unbox is no longer accessible. I still get the promos for Unbox NBC Pilots on the TiVo Central screen but if I try to access Unbox I recieve an "TiVo not authorized" error message.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #203
saberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudMonkey
Anybody have trouble getting Amazon to work with their Pioneer? I just got mine finally hooked back up to a network and was looking forward to using this feature and its not there. I have everything else...but no Amazon. I've updated a number of times b/c i thought it may show up, no dice. Any tips would be appreciated!
I am not sure because I don't ues this feature but I think you need to enable downloading for the machine on the TiVo web site.
saberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #204
Skuits

Hello all, I know some of you have the Toshiba DVR's as well as the Pioneers and I was wondering if any one had an image of the Toshiba SD-H400 drive? I was thinking of getting one with a suspected bad drive and was wanting to make the repair myself. I would happily pay for shipping of a copy of the image on disc!

Anyone know if the Toshiba will take any IDE drive?

Yes I also posted this question on the Toshiba owners club section

Thanks,

Mark
Old 09-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #205
boomer1127

Internal error

I keep getting failed to copy due to internal error....Is it safe to say the dvd burner is shot? I have a lifetime service on the unit. Is Weaknees the place to get it fixed, or should I give Pioneer a call first?
boomer1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 PM   #206
Skuits

****Copying Shows between TiVos with TiVo Basic???***

Hello all, does anyone know how I can get shows from one of my TiVos to the other, even though I only have TiVo Basic? If I have both TiVos on my home network can I access them via my computer? Or is their a way to hook the units together to make a transfer of recorded shows?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #207
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

No way to do it... except of course burning to DVD. The Tivo Desktop features won't work with a unit on Tivo Basic.

Now.. you could upgrade your service, set up Tivo Desktop, and transfer those files to a PC or another subscribed Tivo series 2.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #208
Skuits

That's what I was afraid of! I would think because it's on my home network that I should be able to access it, but I am not that crafty. If it was a stupid printer I could do it

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #209
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

The problem is that the files on the Tivo are encrypted. Even if you pull the HD and hook it up to your computer, you can't do anything useful with them.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #210
mr.bill

I don't know if this would help any of you, but I sold my pioneer 810h that had an upgraded hdd.

Well, the buyer did not want the original 80gig HDD. It was working at the time of the upgrade. Don't know if it married to just my 810h or if any 810h owner could use it.

If some one can use it email me. If not, I will find some other use for it.
mr.bill is offline   Reply With Quote