TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #331
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

It looks like you've made it more complicated than it needs to be. Why can't you simply connect the TiVo to the WAP54G? Then you could get to it from any computer, it would simply be another device on your network. You would also not need to create separate LANs, just have one big one.

Do you have a bunch of DHCP servers competing for dominance on your LAN? Sometimes things get confused when you have multiple DHCP servers trying to server out IP addresses. In any case, I'd recommend a fixed IP address for your TiVo. Makes things much more simple. But choose one that is outside the DHCP address range, so you don't have any conflicts.

Are you using any wireless encryption/protection? TiVo is very picky on the encryption schemes allowed. I'd try it with the protection turned off, just to see if you can connect. After you get it to connect, then try turning on the different protection (MAC filtering, encryption, broadcasting ESSID, etc.).

Did you do it this way because of the distances involved? or to prevent running wires all over the place?

Are you broadcasting your ESSID? or did you manually enter it into the TiVo?

I tried using wireless connections with my Pioneers, and it worked, but everything seemed slow and problematic. And I was connecting directly to my router without any protection turned on. However, I was using MAC filtering. The connections would drop completely when the signal strength was low, MRV was abysmally slow, etc. The only good thing was I could connect to the mothership for updates without stringing a wire to the TiVo.

Sorry it doesn't help much, but wired just works.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #332
cftrunt

Thanks- Origionally I had the wireless adapter on the Tivo directly communicating with the WAP54G. I was concerned that about confusion between the WAP and WEP encription since it seemed the WUSB11 was limited to WEP. I set up a peer to peer wireless adhoc connection on the Tivo and then used my WUSB600N on my deskop computer. It connects to the wireless Tivo connect but when I use Tivo Desktop it does not find the DVR. I really do not want to string a bunch of wires it may come to that. So you are suggesting that I go back to connecting everything through the WAP and use fixed ip addresses I gather. The WAP is hardwired to the modem but I am not sure how to make it "always on" connection. Currently any computer using it still has to provide a sign on name and password to my ISP.
cftrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #333
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Aha! Now it is becoming clearer on why you have all these parts.

To get the "always on" setting on your DSL router/modem, you would need to set up a PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) or some similar connection to your ISP in the router itself. The type of connection depends on how your ISP connects. You will need to log into your DSL router with your browser, and setup the PPPoE. Usually, if you type in the IP address of your Gateway into your browser, you'll get the webpage of your router (i.e. 192.168.1.1 or something close). To change anything in your router, you will need the admin password for your router. Then you'll need to setup the PPPoE or similar connection, where you put in your userid and password, the same ones used by your computers. Then the router will automatically login to your ISP and automatically logout when the connection is idle for some period of time.

Once you set up your router to do the logging in work, your computers won't need to login anymore.

If you give me the model number of your DSL modem/router, I can help you out with the settings.

Regarding the "encryption" of your wireless ethernet. You are correct, the WUSB11 can only do the WEP (Wired Equivalent Protection). To use WPA, you need the TiVo branded wireless adapter. That is the only adapter that does WPA and works with the TiVo.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #334
cftrunt

Setting up 810H with wireless access

First of all I want to truley thank you for your passion and willingness to help us smi-literate geek wannabies that know just enought to dive into something with the knowlege someone like you will bail us out of our self created disasters. I am kind of OCD and I am now officailly on a "quest" to make this work or paint a bowling ball purple and try and convince someone it is a grape.

Here is my modem/router information. It is a Westell provided by my DSL ISP which is CenturyTel my local phone comapny. I belive the unit is a product made by Welstell soley for CenturyTel.

Model Number A90-740014-06
Serial Number 06B401532665
MAC Address 00:0f:db:af:de:4f
Software Version VER:03.00.87a
Software Model 4 Port NAT Router
Description WireSpeed NAT Router
Boot Loader VER:03.00.87a
Configuration 096-900062-00A

I have been using the IP addresses of both my router and my access point to do various setup functions. The router setup IP is 192.168.1.1. The access point setup IP is 192.158.1.245. Are these the static addresses that I would use to tell my Tivo to talk to these units?

One other question. I have seriously been considering buying a WAP Tivo wireless adapter. I know the encription is better and sometimes branded hardware is better tested for the applications. Sould I bite the bullet?

Again thanks for all of your help.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #335
cftrunt

Based on your previous post I did go into my modem setup and found the place to setup the connection you suggested. The attached image is a screen shot of the setup. My question now is should this be an "always on" or an "on demand" connection? How should I set the "time out" feature?

Also in the Windows XP connection manager there is an option to "Allow other network users to connet through this computer's Intrnet connection" I assume I have to check that box someplace sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Westell Connecttion Setup.jpg (78.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #336
gilgard

Hi, all. I bought a "barely" used Pioneer 810-HS and all seems to work great except: I couldn't get the DVD tray to open at first. I pressed "open" on the unit and on the remote many times. Finally it opened. I pressed "Close" and it did, but then 3 seconds later it opened back up all by itself. This behavior repeats over and over. So now it doesn't want to stay shut, whether a DVD is in it or not. If I click "close tray" twice quickly, it will close and stay closed, but then the front window and DVD screen say that the tray is open, although it is not. The DVD player can't be used in that saying-open-but-really-closed state. I tried unplugging and plugging a few times, as well as completely clearing and resetting, and just clearing DVD settings. No improvement. An earlier poster here sid he had this problem but figured it out, which makes me think that there may be a quick fix. That poster can't remember what he did - anyone else know how to resolve? Many thanks! (If it is relevant: The player was shipped to me with a DVD in it, which played just fine, but I know this is not a good practice.)
gilgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #337
timtofly

Since upgrading my 810H from 80 to 320 gig hard drive, the "freeze" has gone away. MHO is that there was a bad spot on the hard drive that when recording there, it would cause a hiccup and freeze the unit. Sometimes I think a TV show would cover this spot up, and the unit would be fine, until I deleted the show and then it would do it continuously (freezing) until the next show would cover over the spot. I cannot confirm, but in recording to the DVD, there were some shows that would just not copy. I think that these shows may have been on the glitchy spot of the hard drive. these drives are what 5+ years old now, and showing signs of wear.
timtofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #338
timtofly

robomeister,
Are the DVD burners in the Pioneer 810/57 series interchangeable with the Humax DRT 400/800 series?

Thanks,
timtofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #339
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

timtofly,

Negative, no, nope. The DVD writers in the Pioneer TiVos have a unique firmware installed in them. I haven't been able to extract the firmware to try to burn it to a similar DVD writer drive.

The Pioneers use the DVR-105 and/or the DVR-106 writers. I have found some non TiVo versions of these drives and have installed them into the Pioneer TiVos. The drives will read discs, but will not write discs.

The Toshiba/Humax TiVos use the DVR-108 and DVR-109 writers. I have been able to put pretty much any Pioneer writer into these machines and they will both read and write. Seems like the Toshibas and Humaxes are more forgiving on the writer. Must be something in the software.

Sorry for the not so good news,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #340
cftrunt

SATA to IDE/PATA for 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister View Post
I've been experimenting with using SATA to PATA converters and SATA drives in my Pioneers. I'm looking for an upgrade path to a 1TB drive. I'll let you know what I find out.

robomeister
I have not had the box open to look at the configuration. Have you had any success in upgrading to a 1TB? Can we use a IDE/SATA adapter in the 810HS and if so have you found one that is configured so the connections all work?

Thanks

mbm
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #341
countryman777

Pioneer 810H-S

I have a disk in my player that says invalid disk. I am unable to eject this disk from my machine. Is there anything I can do to remove this disk?
countryman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #342
bicker
Gruff

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ip#post5736232

The hard part is finding where the paper clip goes.

This might help: http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...51#post4269151

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 PM   #343
eddie95

pioneer 810 burning problems

hey ! i love my pioneer have had it since 2003. only problems have been a new power supply and hard drive . i have the lifetime service. but now i am having a burning problem . i posted under the tivo's with dvr, but no one answered, and then i found the PIONEER CLUB .... maybey someone here can help. thanks eddie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi
i have a pioneer tivo 810 h and am having dvd burning problems.
i have always used sony dvd -rw discs. now i cant get anything to record on them. it says its copying the show, but when its done and i try to play it comes up invalid disc/unsupported.
i can record onto a -r disc , and it plays back fine. this is very weird .... i think .
i did replace the hard drive about 3 years ago, and the power supply. but i dont understand why i can burn a -R disc , but cant burn a - RW disc. i can play back an old recorded - RW disc and it plays back fine .... just cant get it to burn a -RW DISC. could the dvd burner be bad, and if so , why can i still burn a -R disc? i took one of the discs i burned or thought and then it wouldnt play back ... to a friends house and tried it ... no good . he looked at the back of the brand new disc and said you could see a line where it looked like it had tried to burn. i dont get it . but on a -R disc you can see it had been burned all the way.

thanks for any help

eddie
eddie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #344
masselle
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister View Post
timtofly,

The Toshiba/Humax TiVos use the DVR-108 and DVR-109 writers. I have been able to put pretty much any Pioneer writer into these machines and they will both read and write. Seems like the Toshibas and Humaxes are more forgiving on the writer. Must be something in the software.

robomeister
robomeister,
My first post so bear with me. I have a Humax TiVo with a dead dvd burner. I'm having trouble finding any of the Pioneer writers (up through DVR-116) quoted as valid replacements. Have you tried the DVR-118? I'm assuming it would work but it would be nice to verify before I make the purchase. Thanks in advance.
The Colonel
masselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #345
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

masselle,

The Humax TiVos will pretty much accept any Pioneer DVD writer. I have had some success finding drives on eBay. I think I've seen reports that the DVR-212 will work.

FYI, the Toshiba TiVos and the Humax TiVos are pretty much identical internally, so any info you find on the Toshibas will also apply to the Humax.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 10-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #346
cftrunt

Has anyone been able to upgrade a 810H-S to 1TB drive using a SATA/IDE adapter?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #347
masselle
The Colonel

robomeister,
Thanks for your reply to my original post. I did purchase a Pioneer DVR-118 but was unsuccessul getting it installed. It seems very startight forward (power supply, 40 pin IDE cable, jumper set to Master), pretty much identical to the DVR-108 that I pulled. However, while the Humax TiVo will allow me to open the tray from the menu, it doesn't recognize anything else even after closing the tray manually. I need to do some more troubleshooting & will report back but was wondering if you have any ideas in the meantime. Could the IDE cable be bad? The TiVo also restarted (as if the power was lost) a few times during the process. Should I troubleshoot a potential power supply issue? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #348
masselle
The Colonel

Some more info....if I power up the TiVo with a DVD already in the burner, the disc is recognized and functions 100% correctly through the TiVo menu (play, pause, rewind, etc). However, as soon as I open the tray (again through the menu), it loses the grip completely. Basically, the TiVo doesn't recognize that the tray has been opened and won't interact with the burner at all after that. I'm starting to wonder if a software upgrade is in order (I have never upgrade the s/w since buying the unit oiver 3 years ago).
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #349
wml1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgard View Post
Hi, all. I bought a "barely" used Pioneer 810-HS and all seems to work great except: I couldn't get the DVD tray to open at first. I pressed "open" on the unit and on the remote many times. Finally it opened. I pressed "Close" and it did, but then 3 seconds later it opened back up all by itself. This behavior repeats over and over. So now it doesn't want to stay shut, whether a DVD is in it or not. If I click "close tray" twice quickly, it will close and stay closed, but then the front window and DVD screen say that the tray is open, although it is not. The DVD player can't be used in that saying-open-but-really-closed state. I tried unplugging and plugging a few times, as well as completely clearing and resetting, and just clearing DVD settings. No improvement. An earlier poster here sid he had this problem but figured it out, which makes me think that there may be a quick fix. That poster can't remember what he did - anyone else know how to resolve? Many thanks! (If it is relevant: The player was shipped to me with a DVD in it, which played just fine, but I know this is not a good practice.)
Gilgard,

You may want to unplug machine. Then do a restart from the main menu. This is pressing the thumbs down three times on the remote and then press enter on the remote. It seems that it is a software problem. Good luck if you have not already fixed the problem.
wml1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #350
Alexis997

Hi,

I have a few other TiVos that I bought new (meaning they were fresh & clean ) and just got a DVR-810H-S from someone not using it. I was going to give it to my parents.. I was told it works fine, but is "stuck" in the downloading information mode. When I plugged it in, it started making this weird alarm-type noise, until I plugged a phone cord in. Then the noise went away, but nothing is happening. The screen says "Welcome. Powering Up..", and I can hear the fan going, but that's it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Alexis

ETA: Sorry, just made it to p.11 and saw that this might be a dead hard drive..? There's no LCD display, either - could it just be a power issue, or most likely the drive? Is it worth $99 to get the new drive & $19 for the software? I could buy a refurb. S2 from tivo.com for $79... Thanks again!

Last edited by Alexis997 : 11-11-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Alexis997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #351
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Alexis997,

That definitely sounds like a hard drive issue. It is a good sign if the fan is going and you get a "welcome, powering up..." screen. If you replace the hard drive with a good drive with a good software image, you should be back up and running. In my opinion, the Pioneer Tivos are the best Series 2 TiVos, but I'm a little biased. If you can find them, you can get a 750GB IDE drive to work in the Pioneers. I have one myself.

FYI, on cold boots (plugging in the power cord), the LCD display doesn't come on until after the TiVo starts booting from the hard drive. Which isn't happening in your case.

Good luck,
robomeister

P.S. If you need a clean software image for your Pioneer, I can send one to you that will work with WinMFS (from www.mfslive.org). Just PM me.
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #352
retired_guy

The drive failed in my 810-H and I have the original 120GB drive from my 57H which I had upgraded a long time ago. An "expert" at Weaknees told me then I could use the 57H drive in my 810H but I'd never gotten around to doing it. With the 57H drive now installed in the 810H, the system no longer hangs in powering up and gets to the main screen. However, it says I have "Error 51" and can't record or see anything recorded on the drive. I suspect I may have run into a security issue in that recordings on one TiVo can't be moved to another by moving the drive and that my only way to use the drive will be go get a copy of "InstantCake" and restore it to the drive. However, I'm now trying a "clear and delete everything" and a Guided Setup to see whether that'll work but doubt it. Anybody have any ideas about anything else I can try short of instantcake? Any info on what Error 51 is would be appreciated since if I really have a hardware problem I don't want to go through the Instantcake routine. The error message states that 810H Error 51 is a "hardware error".
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #353
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
However, I'm now trying a "clear and delete everything" and a Guided Setup to see whether that'll work but doubt it.
Why do you doubt that will work? That's exactly what you need to do since the image on the drive is from a TiVo with a different TSN. The Clear and Delete Everything will fix that.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #354
retired_guy

I guess I'm just pessimistic since the message indicated a "hardware error". I am feeling more postive now that the clear and delete finished and guided setup has started. The drive replacement is messy in that the 810H was being used by my daughter in another city, whereas I'm testing it now at my home. And she has a non-Tivo wireless adapter using her security key and my wireless system has its own. So I've ended up using dial-up in the Guided Setup; slow but it works. The TiVo version on the disk is probably four years old--dates back to when the 57H was first shipped, so I'm a bit spooky about wireless support for that very old release.

Last edited by retired_guy : 11-30-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #355
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
I guess I'm just pessimistic since the message indicated a "hardware error". I am feeling more postive now that the clear and delete finished and guided setup has started.
Well, it is a hardware error since the software isn't seeing the right hardware TSN. But the Clear and Delete will re-associate the TSN, so all will be happy.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #356
retired_guy

It's working fine now and all are happy.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #357
Ardyar

I just purchased a 810h and was planning to use it with my Comcast digital connection.Will I need a converter box to use it.?Thanks.
Ardyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #358
MichaelK

yep you will.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #359
Ardyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
yep you will.
Thanks
Ardyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #360
coitdeck

First time on this site..trying to replace 810 hard drive

I have two Pioneer 810...love them. A year ago I replaced the hard drive on one. Got a new hard drive off of ebay. It said that it would work for a tivo 810
and it did.

Now, I've just ordered a new hard drive for the other one. This time I ordered it directly from a company that carries the same Maxtor hard drive.

BUT! I'm now wondering if the drive needs to be formatted or something...when I install it.

Help!

Thanks

Bob
coitdeck is offline   Reply With Quote