TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #301
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

The Pioneer TiVo should be able to play DVD-DL discs. I haven't tried, but the spec for the DVD drive shows that they should be able to play them without problems.
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #302
carlypi

Pioneer DVR-810H Help!

I've had this unit almost 5 years. Just recently it started having the following problems:
1) When I try to burn DVD's, it is calculating what will fit on the DVD incorrectly. It says 100%, but then the burn fails, and it says the reason is there is insufficient space. I am putting on what I normally put on it.

2) A few months ago it started restarting itself at least twice a day. The problem with that is that it has not been able to finish downloading/loading program information. The last time it successfully connected according to the tivo is 6/8/08. But just last week was when it was missing the tv guide and says "To Be Announced" on every channel.

Is anyone else having these issues with their pioneer?
carlypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #303
Robmir
Ret. Broadcast Eng

I will rephrase the problem for which I asked for help a couple of days before:

Because I live outside the US have to source my programming from a c-band Dish.

My Pioneer 810 download the guide through my high speed internet access and worked flawlessly for several years.

Once in a while I like to download programs of special interest like the C-net etc.

Since a couple of weeks ago I am unable to download anything besides the programming guide because once I go to any of the swivel, music, blogs etc. download menu y goes right away to a menu which says I should be connected to a internet access which of course I am, my account be active, which I am because I have the TIVO Plus suscription and when loggin in my account I should not have the opt-out chosen which of course I don't.

It's possible that the TIVO server has changed their download policy's and now when it detects my IP address it knows right away I am located outside the US territories and blocks any download besides the guide itself ?

Any sugestions since I am not doing any harm if I like to watch Dvorak's comments on the computer world or what's new in the C-Net electronic world, etc. ?

Help appreciated
Pioneer DVR-640H- 160 GB HDD-DVD
C band 4DTV 922 + HD200 HD Decoder
Sony 34XBR800 HD TV
Robmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #304
zubee

Yes! I assume that you can pause, rewind, etc. live TV with the basic service. 3 days vs 2 weeks programming may not be a big deal. What else would I need the tivo plus service for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #305
Robmir
Ret. Broadcast Eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubee View Post
Yes! I assume that you can pause, rewind, etc. live TV with the basic service. 3 days vs 2 weeks programming may not be a big deal. What else would I need the tivo plus service for?
May be for you, but I like the other goodies
Pioneer DVR-640H- 160 GB HDD-DVD
C band 4DTV 922 + HD200 HD Decoder
Sony 34XBR800 HD TV
Robmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #306
rworcester

Poor DVD Quality From Pioneer 810

I'm getting poor quality DVDs when I transfer the program from my Pioneer 810 to the TiVo Deskstop, then burn using Roxio. DVDs are great coming from the new S3-HD Tivo and they look good if I use the DVD burner on the Pioneer810. The image has squiggely lines on any line that is verticle. What could cause this? Any suggestions?
rworcester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #307
danylati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmir View Post
I will rephrase the problem for which I asked for help a couple of days before:

Because I live outside the US have to source my programming from a c-band Dish.

My Pioneer 810 download the guide through my high speed internet access and worked flawlessly for several years.

Once in a while I like to download programs of special interest like the C-net etc.

Since a couple of weeks ago I am unable to download anything besides the programming guide because once I go to any of the swivel, music, blogs etc. download menu y goes right away to a menu which says I should be connected to a internet access which of course I am, my account be active, which I am because I have the TIVO Plus suscription and when loggin in my account I should not have the opt-out chosen which of course I don't.

It's possible that the TIVO server has changed their download policy's and now when it detects my IP address it knows right away I am located outside the US territories and blocks any download besides the guide itself ?

Any sugestions since I am not doing any harm if I like to watch Dvorak's comments on the computer world or what's new in the C-Net electronic world, etc. ?

Help appreciated
i have the same problem, i think tivo check the ip now
danylati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #308
GBean

I just got a DVR-810h and want to upgrade the drive to 500GB.
Do I still need the 57h image, or does the unlock feature in the new mfstools cd get around that?

Can someone PLEASE PM with the location of a 57h image? I havent gotten a response from my PM's to the known sources!

(Just one post? really? i thought I was here before!)
GBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #309
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

You shouldn't need a 57H image. Use WinMFS to copy your image from your 80GB to the 500GB, then use the SuperSize option. That is supposed to remove the 80GB limit from your expanded drive.

Give it a try. I have one I need to update myself, so I'll report back if it doesn't work.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #310
sjordan93436

810 "interanl error"

I tried to burn a 100% disk. I tried 4 x dvd-r. 4 x dvd-rw

I burn a more than a few coasters.

Weaknees says 199 to repair or 329 to replace burner. supposedly, repairs do more of it. I like it but is there another repair option?

Iis in the bedroom and does not get much work. It was really cool when my daughter was in the Peace Corps. 50 cents now less DVD and 4 or 8 hours of home tv. The other volunteers were jealous. Just mail and forget. It was cool, but now ....
sjordan93436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #311
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

The Pioneer TiVos should be able to burn 4x DVD-Rs, but it will not burn 4x DVD-RWs. You need to use either 1x or 2x DVD-RWs. I've done alot of searching for these discs and was able to find them at Walmart in 15 disc spindles and Frye's in 25 disc spindles.

If you try to use 4x DVD-RWs, you should get the error you described.

I've successfully used 16x DVD-Rs.

Have you tried rebooting the TiVo after you get the error and trying again? Have you tried different branded media? Sometimes a change resets something in the TiVo and it start working again.

Another technique I use to get a successful burn is to burn a DVD-RW disc. That also resets the TiVo to burn DVD-Rs successfully.

Sometimes it turns out to be a badly recorded program. I've make several coasters, even with DVD-RWs, and it turned out that one program was just bad and didn't want to be burned to a disc. Go figure.

If you are technical and like to work with computers, you could replace the DVD writer in the Pioneer TiVo. However, you'll need to win an ebay auction of a Pioneer TiVo, and scavenge the DVD writer from it. I have tried to replace the burner with generic Pioneer burners, but with NO success at all. The only way to replace the burner is to cannibalize another Pioneer or order the drive from weaknees.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #312
sjordan93436

I could not find 1 or 2 x dvd-rw's. I tried 4 x dvd rw.

I found one source of 4 x dvd-r. No luck. I think I tried 4 brands of faster media.

I did the reboot after a long wait. Other programs would record IF the disk was not full. I made coasters when I tried to burn a full disk.

It is such a nice program.

Next step. Go to Wal Mart in search of the 1 to 2 x dvd-r media. Try the compressed air.

The last alternative is the $200 + repair.
sjordan93436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #313
treacherous

What 500GB drive are you guys using with the your 810's? Is that the largest drive that can be placed in this model?

Thanks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Lifetime)
-
(Lifetime) + 500GB WD Tivo Expander
-

(Lifetime)

treacherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #314
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

I have one of my Pioneers with a 750GB drive in it. That is the largest IDE/PATA drive available. Pretty much any IDE/PATA drive will work in any Series 2 TiVo. Another one of my Pioneers has a 500GB drive, a Western Digital. Not sure of the model.

I've been experimenting with using SATA to PATA converters and SATA drives in my Pioneers. I'm looking for an upgrade path to a 1TB drive. I'll let you know what I find out.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #315
wtherrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister View Post
I have one of my Pioneers with a 750GB drive in it. That is the largest IDE/PATA drive available. Pretty much any IDE/PATA drive will work in any Series 2 TiVo. Another one of my Pioneers has a 500GB drive, a Western Digital. Not sure of the model.

I've been experimenting with using SATA to PATA converters and SATA drives in my Pioneers. I'm looking for an upgrade path to a 1TB drive. I'll let you know what I find out.

robomeister
Robomeister--I am about to upgrade my 57h to 500GB. I'm wondering about using WinMFS and saw your post about disconnecting the C: drive but I think that was using the MFSlive command line based program booting from CD. I have an old Dell that has WinXP and two separate PATA chains. Couldn't I just put in the drives connected to the extra ribbon cable (C: drive is on the other chain) and then run WinMFS almost just like I did my THD with the SATA connections? I have seen it emphasized so much to disconnect the windows drive that I am reluctant to proceed with this but can't think of any reason it would not work. Any thoughts?
wtherrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #316
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

wtherrell,

If you use WinMFS on a Windows XP machine with Service Pack 2 or 3 (SP2, SP3), you will be ok. The problem was with Windows XP recognizing new hard drives connected to the computer and automatically writing a signature onto the drive. When the signature was written to the drive, it destroyed the TiVo boot partition, rendering the drive non-functional. The drives could be fixed, but you needed the right tools. This happened with Windows XP before SP2. If your old Dell doesn't have SP2 or SP3, let it update to SP3 and you should be ok.

Whatever you do, do NOT go into Control Panel -> Administrator Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management with the TiVo drives attached. This will do the bad signature write to any new drive Windows detects. This would be bad.

Before I invested in some USB to PATA/SATA connectors, I used to open up my machine and plug the drive directly into the PATA cable. I've used the Weaknees Boot CD, the MFSLive Boot CD and WinMFS, all with great success. I like WinMFS because it is much easier to use than the command line boot CDs, for straight upgrades from the original working drive to a new larger drive. If I have to do anything fancy, like dd_rescue, then I use the MFSLive Boot CD. The USB to PATA/SATA connectors are slower than directly connecting to the PATA chain, but it's less hassle, at least for me.

So to answer your question, no, you do not need to remove the C: drive in order to use the MFSLive Boot CD. If you are going to use WinMFS, then you actually need to have the C: drive in the machine. Just make sure it has SP2 or higher before you attach any drives to the PATA cable.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #317
wtherrell

Smile

Quote from Robomeister: <<So to answer your question, no, you do not need to remove the C: drive in order to use the MFSLive Boot CD. If you are going to use WinMFS, then you actually need to have the C: drive in the machine. Just make sure it has SP2 or higher before you attach any drives to the PATA cable.>>

Thanks, Robomeister. You da man!!
I'll get started on it today. Probably finish up Saturday morning.
(No, it doesn't take that long but I'm recording the golf round this afternoon and am tied up tomorrow, too. )
Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #318
treacherous

I did a 500GB upgrade a few days ago. I used my XP SP3 box and utilized WinMFS-MFSCopy to copy over a few programs as well. I was trying to do this via a USB SATA/PATA adapter but for some reason it wouldn't see my original 80GB source drive. Not a big deal I cracked the case and utilized PATA channel that had CD-ROM drive on it. It's a lot fast to transfer programs this way anyway.
(Lifetime)
-
-

(Lifetime)

Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #319
DennisTheMenace7

810HD Does Not Support The Playing of DVD-DL

Just to let everyone know that "810HD Does Not Support The Playing of DVD-DL."
DennisTheMenace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #320
wtherrell

Smile Thanks, everyone. 500GB 57h upgrade

Well, everything went just fine. The old Dell xps 450 system came through just fine. I disconnected the DVD player and the CD burner to get the IDE Pata chain. Loaded WinMFS via USB thumbdrive. So thanks to the help from you guys and from spike over at MFSlive.org my 57h that used to show "Variable, up to 137 hours" now shows "Variable, up to 670 hours." Looks like all the recordings were copied perfectly. The drive was a WD WD5000JBRTL Caviar Blue SE that I got from J&R Music through Amazon for $80.00. It's a 7,200 rpm drive and is whisper quiet. It's quieter than the 120GB Maxtor that was original in the 57h---and it was pretty quiet already.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #321
Beachbum55

I bought my Pioneer 810HS not too long after they were introduced (2002?).

It's an original box and has worked flawlessly. Recently, it seems to be freezing up twice a week and requires a restart (pull the power plug and power up). It'll work fine for a few more days, then it needs to be restarted again.

It's hooked up to a Comcast Motorola cable box (same one we've used for years).

The software version is 9.3.2a-0102-275.

Any ideas regarding what the problem might be?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #322
bicker
Gruff

Sounds like the hard drive is going...

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #323
treacherous

+1

I recently had to swap out the DVR Expander drive on my S3 due to a failing hard drive. I did not have to pull plug on DVR but it would lock up and reboot shortly afterward several times a day.

I also recently upgraded the drive in my 810. It was actually pretty easy too. My drive wasn't failing but wanted additional capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post

(Lifetime)
-
-

(Lifetime)

Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #324
Beachbum55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
That's kind of what I thought. I'll keep an eye on it. Luckily, there really isn't anything on it that I can't afford to loose.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:10 AM   #325
mk678

I have Pioneer DVR810H that is stuck on "Please wait...Powering Up", also the LCD in the front of the unit has gone dark.

Any advice on what could be causing this to happen. I rebooted the unit a couple of times, still the same message, opened the DVD tray and confirmed there is no DVD stuck.

mk678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #326
bicker
Gruff

Sounds like the hard drive is dead or dying.

If so: These guys are sponsors of the forum:
http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores...Model&page=cat

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #327
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

When any TiVo is stuck on "Please wait, powering up" screen, that is an indication that the motherboard cannot communicate with the hard drive. This can be a disconnected cable (power or data) or simply that the programming on the hard drive can no longer be read. AKA, dead drive.

You'll have to get a replacement drive and then load the TiVo software onto it. This can be done with Instant Cake from dvrupgrade.com or, if you are lucky, a backup copy of your hard drive and WinMFS or MFSLive from mfslive.org. I can provide you with a clean DVR-810H-S image, if needed.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #328
cftrunt

Direct Dump to PC

Has anyone tried to use a crossover cable through the 810H USB/Ethernet adapter to dump recorded programs directly onto a PC/Laptop rather than going through a home network?
cftrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #329
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

I haven't done it personally, but it should be possible. You would have to setup a small ad hoc LAN and manually assign IP addresses to both the PC and the TiVo. There will be no DHCP server, so you have to do everything manually.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #330
cftrunt

Wireless network headaches

I have a Pioneer 810h DVR with Lifetime Tivo Plus. I connected a Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 adapter through he USB port on the 810H. After considerable profanity and several restarts I got the DVR to recognize the adapter. I set up a home wireless system thru my desktop computer. I have had a Linksys WUSB600N connected to my Linksys WAP54G v3.1 Access point which is hardwired to my DSL modem. I use MAC address enabled on my access point and have enabled all of the MAC addresses for the various wireless components. I have MacAphee security which I, during this time, I have had enabled and disabled at various times. The Wireless adapter on the 810H has talked to my wireless adapter on my computer (the 600N). Tivo desktop worked at one point between the DVR and my desktop computer but now is not. When I tied and make the Internet connection in the Tivo Setup screens it went thru the "preparing to connect" sequence. It then entered the "negotiating" phase but fails there giving the message "service not found". I have disabled (temporarily) windows firewall on my LAN and Internet Server connections. I have gone into the connections and set up the Port exceptions - (I think) for all of the connections that might be blocking service access. I have tried to set the Access point to WEP rather than WAP2 Personal. The WUSB600N seemed to keep dropping out so I attached a spare Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 that I had also thinking that the WAP on the 600N may be causing a problem. I am at a loss. Part of my problem is that there are so many permutations of things to change I am not sure if the Gods were ever totally lined up. Does anyone have any suggestions. At this point I would like to zap my home network and start over clean but I am finding that is easier said than done. I have attached a schematic of my sytem. The laptops and second desktop can be ingnored. I have disconnected the two wireless usb adapters from my desktop computer and removed the connections in the Network Connection manger. I am concerned that the wireless access point with suspect wireless usb connections shown in red on the schematic, may be confusing things since the desktop computer is also hardwired into the modem/router with an LAN Ethernet connection. In the end what I want is for my Tivo to use its wireless adapter to connect my desktop's wireless adapter (either the WUSB600N or the WUSB11) to use Tivo Desktop and connect to the internet preferably thru the LAN connection. Sorry for the longwinded post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MBM Home Network Schematic.jpg (28.0 KB, 4 views)
cftrunt is offline   Reply With Quote