TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #271
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuits View Post
I am blown away that Tivo hasn't embraced this situation as of yet. I hope there is a cure in the works!!!

Thanks,
Mark
They have. The TiVoHD and Series3 have built-in digital OTA tuners.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #272
Skuits

Thanks Robo for the info!

I am still a bit confused! I am not familiar with "STB" and I don't have cable at all. Does that affect things? Having purchased my Tivo units used, I don't have the IR blaster so I am not familiar with its connection.

generaltso: I pay no subscription fees with my Tivo basic and antenna hookup. In regards to your comment; I would say that the TiVoHD and Series3 aren't an embrace of my particular situation or for any of us who have perfectly functioning series 2 Tivos and an antenna only hookup!

Thanks,
Mark
Skuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #273
generaltso

Quote:
generaltso: I pay no subscription fees with my Tivo basic and antenna hookup. In regards to your comment; I would say that the TiVoHD and Series3 aren't an embrace of my particular situation or for any of us who have perfectly functioning series 2 Tivos and an antenna only hookup!
Well TiVo certainly won't be embracing anything having to do with TiVo Basic since it doesn't give them any revenue. I think they consider it to be a failed experiment. Your only option will be to use an external digital Set Top Box and get yourself an IR blaster to control it.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #274
Skuits

Hello, I think you're missing the point here. It's not about my subscription fees, as that doesn't effect the operation of the unit.

The point of my questions are regarding the fact that the Series 2 units aren't designed to run this type of digital set top box. So I am trying to find a solution for that. I am sure more questions like mine will be cropping up as the switch over to digital draws nearer.

Thanks for your input.
Mark
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #275
generaltso

Quote:
Hello, I think you're missing the point here. It's not about my subscription fees, as that doesn't effect the operation of the unit.

The point of my questions are regarding the fact that the Series 2 units aren't designed to run this type of digital set top box. So I am trying to find a solution for that. I am sure more questions like mine will be cropping up as the switch over to digital draws nearer.

Thanks for your input.
Mark
I haven't actually used a digital OTA set top box, but don't they work just like a digital cable box? Is the problem just that the Series 2 doesn't have the IR codes for these boxes yet?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM   #276
Skuits

Hi, I believe that is the problem. Some of it is that I don't have any experience with using an additional box with my Tivo. So I am fumbling around trying to figure it out.

I think Robo's link is a close solution. I am still trying to decipher it as I am not Joe Tivo

I know the solution exists, I just need to find it.

Any idea what channel timers are???

Thanks,
Mark
Old 04-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #277
generaltso

Quote:
Any idea what channel timers are???
Not sure. I know when you're using a Set Top Box with an IR Blaster, you can change the speed at which it blasts the signals for changing the channels. Maybe that's what it's referring to?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #278
lucapioneer

DVD "Copy Fails"

Thanks for starting the Pioneer DVD forum. I am new to the TiVo Forum but joined after reading some Pioneer messages. I have had a Pioneer 810-H for almost five years and have had a good run. For the last year I have been making more coasters than good DVDs and always unplug the power after every burn, do not burn while recording yada yada. I gave up on trying to find a "workable" blank DVD and pretty much stick with TDK or Tayo Yuden.

I just upgraded to a new 320GB HD through WeaKnees, as my reboot got stuck on the failed DVD and went in to "perpetual TiVo Reboot Land." The upgrade did not solve the Burn problem as my first burn failed as usual. Is there a solution for this Copy failure? I have a lifetime service contract and appreciate the convenince and shorter time to copy my favorites with the 810 vs the computer transfer TiVo to Go Method ~3 hrs vs 35min.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
lucapioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #279
gramsay
gramsay

Cool Manuals

Is there still a source for the original manuals that came with the:

Pioneer DVR-810H DVR/DVD Recorder ??

What is a fair price for a used one, nowadays ?

Thanks,
GR
gramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #280
gramsay
gramsay

Cool Found Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsay View Post
Is there still a source for the original manuals that came with the:

Pioneer DVR-810H DVR/DVD Recorder ??

What is a fair price for a used one, nowadays ?

Thanks,
GR
I found the manual here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...R-810H-S?tab=D

Peace,
GR
gramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #281
danschn

John Adams, HBO, Episode 4 fails to copy to DVD

I TiVo'ed the seven part John Adams series recently broadcast on HBO. I wanted to save them to DVD, and since most of them were over an hour, set about making 7 DVDs. Episodes 1,2 and 3 copied fine. Episode 4 failed to copy. I tried another disk. It became a coaster too.

I moved forward and episodes 5, 6 and 7 all successfully copied. I went back to episode 4, but that only produced 2 more coasters at what I assume was the same point in the process - and this time I was watching the "minutes to go" countdown. Coaster number 3 I saw reach 13 minutes, then failed. Number 4 counted down from 13 to 12, getting me excited, then bumped back to 13 and promptly failed, and the fan started blowing hard, and stayed that way until I ejected the disk.

I surmise that there's some content glitch in the Episode 4 program. I viewed the program, mostly fast-forwarding through the content, but saw nothing unusual.

I've copied the program to my computer hard drive and I'll try the methods described elsewhere to make a disk.

But bottom line, it wasn't the drive, and almost certainly wasn't the disks. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #282
bicker
Gruff

Have you tried re-recording the episode and trying to burn the new recording?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #283
danschn

Yeah, I thought of that. No broadcasts of John Adams are currently on the HBO schedule. I assume they'll show it again, and hopefully on the HD station to match my others. I get very good results with the down-rez'ed HD copied onto disks.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #284
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

danschn,

I have seen your problem as well. I tried to burn a specific program (not "John Adams" but another program) and it would not burn. It was one of a group. I think it was "Battlestar Galactica" or "Whose Line Is It Anyway." I did some experiments with DVD-RWs and determined that one show had some problem in it and would not burn to a disc. The show would play with no problems, just like yours, but would not burn. The other shows around it would also burn to a disc. I ended up not burning that show and having the TiVo re-record the show the next time it came on the air.

Hope that helps,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #285
magnus
Tivo User

My Pioneer 810H seems to be having issues with the DVD burner. When I put a DVD in the tray it reads the disc and then opens back up. However, when I take the disc back out again and then try to close the tray... it does the same thing. Anyone seen this behavior before and know how it can be fixed? Thanks.

Never mind... I figured it out.

Last edited by magnus : 05-10-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: update
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #286
danschn

Update: I copied the episode of John Adams to my PC using TiVo Desktop - which seems to be working much better since the most recent version was installed - and used Video ReDo to copy to a DVD. It all worked great. It wasn't convenient, like just letting my Pioneer burn the disk, but it offers editing capabilities, which I didn't use. Maybe next time. Whatever effect stopped that file from burning on Pioneer probably will remain a bug forever.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #287
dirtballer8972

Question Dvr-810h-s

I'm new to this and need some help.

I recently got a dvr-810-h-s w/ basic Tivo. I had also purchase a Tivo's wireless g adaptor thinking I could connect through my wireless modem. I was unaware that it needed a landline for the initial setup. So, I added phone line via my cable company (and its new wireless phone modem). I able to connect via the phone line, but it does not gave the option for wireless.

Can anyone help?
dirtballer8972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #288
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

You need to let the software upgrade to the newest version, which is 9.3. After you get Guided Setup finished, you will have to force the TiVo to call home several times before it will download the 9.3.

Also, you can only use WEP and WPA encryption schemes with the TiVo Wireless adapter. Make sure you aren't using an encryption scheme that the adapter can't use.

Good luck,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #289
dirtballer8972

Thanks, I will you know if works.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #290
gregep

Pioneer 810 HS Service Manual:
----------------------------

If anyone is interested, while researching how to switch out a faulty DVD burner on my now 4 year old Pioneer 810HS and hoping to find a replacement one from Pioneer (they don't seem to offer them), I came across a service manual that can be ordered from Pioneer for the unit:

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=RRV2814

----
Pioneer 810 HS, 250 GB hard drive, Lifetime Service
TiVo HD, 320 GB hard drive, Lifetime Service
TiVo Series 3 HD, 1 TB, Lifetime Service
HomePlug Powerline network

Last edited by gregep : 05-21-2008 at 11:26 PM.
gregep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #291
gregep

New, curious DVD burning problem--some players can play, others cannot
----------------------

About a week ago, the DVDs being produced by my Pioneer 810HS acquired a new characteristic: They are readable by some DVD players (the 810HS native player and a Philips DVD player) and not others (especially Toshiba).

For example, I recorded two episodes of "Law and Order" and burned them to DVD. The Toshibas read the top menu, then the episode description, and when I attempt to play the first of the two episodes, nothing happens. On some discs, the second is playable. Both episodes are readable by the Philips and Pioneer units.

I'm using the same DVDs that I've used for the past two years (Memorex DVD-R) with no problems and the problem arose while using DVDs from the same lot (those recorded before 5/13 worked while the ones recorded on 5/14 and later didn't). Sump'n happened, but after recording probably a couple of thousand DVDs (I'd estimate), maybe it's just tired.

----
Pioneer 810 HS, 250 GB hard drive, Lifetime Service
TiVo HD, 320 GB hard drive, Lifetime Service
TiVo Series 3 HD, 1 TB, Lifetime Service
HomePlug Powerline network
gregep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #292
dirtballer8972

I want to thank Robomeister. After several fail attempts to connect to Tivo via phone line, my DVR-810h finally updated itself so I can now use my home network. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #293
Ricketts

I have a Pioneer 810 s for some time and am hoping to finally network it with my router with a wireless adopter. I've bought a Trendnet TU2-ET100, which is a USB 2.0 to 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet adopter. Now I've noticed that it isn't on the TIVO approved list and I wonder if I should replace it and if so with what? I'd like to eliminate "snail mail" with netflixs.
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #294
bicker
Gruff

I find that I've had the best performance with the TiVo enhanced wireless adapter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #295
lilblackhorse

pioneer 810h

Hi,

I have an old 810H series Tivo which we love. It's had some issues--we have to reboot every week before I set up the cable to download new information, but I'm ok with that. We don't pay for any subscription, we like our system just fine.

I have been dreading this day--the day my Cable Company made me convert to digital. The guy just left, and of course, left us in shambles.

He has put in a Motorola DCT1700 digital cable box in and now the tivo won't recognize anything. We have rebooted, we have unplugged the box and plugged it back in, but the system information still says "cable without box."

Right now my son got the TV to work on video2, channel 4 (which is usually our local "ad" station.) We're watching MTV, and we can get it to record, but the tivo is saying

"searching for signal on Basic Cable IN..see messages and settings/troubleshooting."

Does anyone know how to get the Pioneer to recognize the box so that our information gets to the tv and we can see what we're really watching?

Thank you---my two teens are disgusted at the thought of watching real tv, and I don't want to lose my ability to record preprogrammed shows. ACK!

thanks, aimee
lilblackhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #296
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Re-run Guided Setup and choose "cable with box"???
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #297
Ricketts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
I find that I've had the best performance with the TiVo enhanced wireless adapter.
Tks for the tip Bicker. I'd heard that wireless is slower and I'd hoped to avoid any more complications ie purchases so I'm trying the wired route first....gladly switch to wireless if I thought it would do the trick. I've printed the TIVO sanctioned adapter list but am not sure how to figure out if I need version 1 or Version 2. My 810H is a TIVO series 2 platform but any ideas how to find out the version? Glad I didn't open the Trendnet box! My settings read "9.3-01-2-275"

Last edited by Ricketts : 06-30-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: just found settings but still don't understand which software version I have.
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:26 AM   #298
bicker
Gruff

Wireless is slower than wired. I thought the question was about which was the best wireless adapter.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #299
DennisTheMenace7

Can Pioneer 810H play DVD-R DL?

Can Pioneer 810H PLAY (NOT RECORD) DVD-R DL?
DennisTheMenace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #300
dirtballer8972

No sound

Have anyone experienced a time where one channel loses sound, but the other channels work? I use my DVR-810H-S w/ basic cable on one tv and just basic cable on my other tvs. I check my other tvs and they have sound on that channel. Any help?