TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
daneyul

Verizon FIOS Questions

Hi,

About to get Verizon Fiber Optic (FIOS), and am wondering if anyone has used it with TIVO yet--specifically, do the Verizon Set Top Boxes work with Serial to control the channels? Or must I resort to IR?

The DCT2500 is the model STB they use, which do have a DB9 serial connection, which would "physically" work with the TIVO serial---but, anyone actually try it with Verizon's system to ensure the ability is functional?

Thanks!

-Daniel
daneyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
trainwrecka

i just got FiOS as well and cannot STAND the HD-DVR it came with. it does have a lot of cool features - but it sucks compared to TiVo... someone help!
trainwrecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
daneyul

Agreed...the DVR is horrible

The DVR is truly inept--the remote control is a mess of buttons, the functions are horribly implemented. Not sure if I'm spoiled by TIVO or if it's just that bad...

Incidentally, every other aspect of FIOS is great--incredible speed for my internet connection (consistantly hitting the promised 15mb down, 2mb up) and a great choice of channels for a reasonable price (especially compared to our old cable provider here in Tampa).

For what its worth, although I said I was getting FIOS in my earlier post (didn't want to get bogged down in a long post) the real story is I already got it, with DVRs (not STBs), figuring I'd compare it with the TIVO boxes I've used for years.

After a week, I'm giving up and going back to TIVO. I plan to have Verizon switch out the DVR's (which DON'T have serial ports) and hoping the STB boxes can be controlled by that interface. I have in the meantime used the DVR's with the TIVO (basically, the DVR becomes just a Set Top Box) but controlling it via IR is horribly slow and inaccurate. The video is fine, all functions working, but chaning channels is slow and ugly with IR.

I'll get the STB replacements next week, and know for sure, but in the mean time I was looking for info on the Serial situation on those STBs.

Anyone try it??

-Daniel
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
jjberger2134

Verizon will be offering FIOS in my town within the next couple of months., I have heard good things about the service.

When Verizon installs this service, they bring a fiber optic line into the house. My question to people that already have FIOS is: After the fiber optic cable is in the house, then what? How is the signal delivered to each room, and each TV? Does Verizon replace all of the standard COAX cable and run Fiber Optic? Can FIOS be delivered through standard COAX to each room or to each Set top box?
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
gjustice

The fiber runs from their can to a box on the side of your house caled the Optical Network Terminiator (ONT) which has "normal" connections inside (4 POTS lines, Ethernet, and Coax for TV).

All the wiring in your house looks like good old phone lines, CATV, and network.

You will get a wireless router (Dlink) to connect the Cat5 from the ONT to your network.

MAIN SYSTEM:
Hitachi 43FDX10B 43" Digital TV, Motorola HD/Comcast Digital cable, Phillips DVD, Sharp VCR, Tivo Series II - 300 hr w/Lifetime Sub and HMO (with its own Comcast box),
Farallon NetLINE USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, Comcast Cable Internet, Sony HT-DDW740 Home Theater System, Comcast Digital cable, All operated with a Sony RM-AV3000

BEDROOM SYSTEM:
Tivo Series II - 60 hr (Stock) w/Lifetime Sub and HMO, Comcast Digital cable, Linksys WUSB11 Ethernet Adapter

I can no longer make backup images available. Requests will be ignored, sorry!
gjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
jjberger2134

If I understand correctly:

-Current CAT 3 (phone wire) will be reconnected directly to the ONT via one of the 4 POTS connectors to provide Phone Service
-Current COAX cable will be connected directly to the ONT via the COAX to provide TV service.
-An ethernet (CAT5) cable will be added from the ONT into my home, then connected to a Verizon provided wireless router to connect to the internet service.

Can I use my existing wireless router, or do I need to use Verizon's?
What about the rest of my wired network?

I currently have 4 CAT5e jacks around my house, which all lead to my home office. Once in my office they are connected to my wireless router which is connected to my cable modem. Obviously I will be replacing my cable modem with the FIOS internet service.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
texasbrit

Verizon want you to use their router because it has slightly modified firmware which is supposed to work better with the network. It is a d-link wireless g router with four wired ethernet ports. I actually use both my old wired and wireless routers along with the new Verizon one. The Verizon one is set up as the DHCP master and everything else gets an IP address from there. So I have two wireless networks in the house, using different channels. I have a large one-floor house and one router does not give good coverage everywhere so the Verizon router was a definite plus.
texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
jjberger2134

Most of my applications are wired. I have a PC wired to the Router, 2 TiVo's also wired to the router. I do have a laptop with a wireless card, but I rarely use the wireless feature. Most of the time, I have the wireless set to "off" and only turn it "on" when I use my laptop. It is a bit of a pain to go to the Linksys configuration utility to switch on/off but it gives me peace of mind. Although I am running WPA in my residential neighborhood, I am still concerned about hackers etc. (I know this is a bit over the top, but after Credit Cards have been stolen and various reading this setup works for me).

1. As far as FIOS is concerned, what security protocol do they use (WEP or WPA, etc)?
2. Do I need to have wireless or can I connect the Verizon router to my network via a wired connection?
3. If many people in my neighborhood sign up for FIOS will too many wireless networks conflict with one another?
Old 06-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
texasbrit

The connection from the router to the ONT network is wired of course. I think the d-link router wireless side is just WEP but if you use MAC address filtering it's about as secure as you can get, only the devices you specify are allowed access. I assume you have firewall protection on your pcs.
The router also has four wired ports so I guess you could disable the wireless network like you do with Linksys and just use wired if you want to. There is unlikely to be conflict between wireless networks in a neighborhood - if there is a problem you can always change your network to a different channel.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
gjustice

The port on the ONT is the equivalent of the port on your cable modem.

Verizon requires you to "login" via PPOE in order to get an IP address, so the router must be capable of doing this if you want an always on connection.

The router is "included" in the price, and there's no discount if you don't use it, so...

MAIN SYSTEM:
Hitachi 43FDX10B 43" Digital TV, Motorola HD/Comcast Digital cable, Phillips DVD, Sharp VCR, Tivo Series II - 300 hr w/Lifetime Sub and HMO (with its own Comcast box),
Farallon NetLINE USB 10/100 Ethernet Adapter, Comcast Cable Internet, Sony HT-DDW740 Home Theater System, Comcast Digital cable, All operated with a Sony RM-AV3000

BEDROOM SYSTEM:
Tivo Series II - 60 hr (Stock) w/Lifetime Sub and HMO, Comcast Digital cable, Linksys WUSB11 Ethernet Adapter

I can no longer make backup images available. Requests will be ignored, sorry!
gjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit
The connection from the router to the ONT network is wired of course. I think the d-link router wireless side is just WEP but if you use MAC address filtering it's about as secure as you can get, only the devices you specify are allowed access. I assume you have firewall protection on your pcs.
The router also has four wired ports so I guess you could disable the wireless network like you do with Linksys and just use wired if you want to. There is unlikely to be conflict between wireless networks in a neighborhood - if there is a problem you can always change your network to a different channel.
MAC address filtering, like WEP, is extremely easy to break -- it's far from "about as secure as you can get". The only way to have a reasonable level of security on a WiFi network is to use WPA with a "well-chosen" encryption key. Unfortunately, in order to use WPA, all devices on the network must use it, and Tivo inexplicably doesn't support WPA, so using Tivo on a wireless network means you're stuck using non-secure "protection" like WEP.

[I don't have FIOS myself, but I would be very surprised if the router Verizon supplies didn't support WPA.]
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
texasbrit

I meant as secure as you can get using WEP.....
Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #13
rexdiver

Fios

The router that FIOS installs is the DI-624 and it has WPA encryption.

-Rex
rexdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
daneyul

So...about that serial connection...

Back to the original question: Has anyone tried the Serial Connection on the FIOS Set Top Box as a means of changing channels?

-Daniel
Old 06-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
miller890

Daniel - When you get your new box and find out if the serial connection is an option with the FIOS standard set-top, please let us know. Thanks.
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
daneyul

Fios Serial

I certainly will...but it won't be until the 19th until they do it...almost 3 weeks!

I was hoping to get a heads up from someone before that...you'd think somebody out there would have tried it by now!

-Daniel
Old 07-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
DeanErg

Fios and Serial Connection not working

Daniel:
I just got FIOS installed (Motorola QIP2500 STB) and it is making a mess of my Tivo connection. The serial connection will not work, and it traps my in a set-up deadend. Not sure what to do since I have no idea where my IR cable is.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Deanerg
DeanErg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #18
daneyul

FIOS Problems...

Hi Dean,

That's bad! The serial connection doesn't work at all?

Right now, I have the DVRs (not the STB)--my IR cable works (mostly) but is slow in changing channels, and does miss occasionally if you go too fast. I had real hope that the STB would work (The DVR doesn't have the serial connection but the STB does).

Evidently, since the port is there, Verizon could just enable it to accept channel changing commands--from my crusing the web, some Providers have evidently done that by just sending a remote command to it.

Does yours seem completely dead in the water, channel-changing-wise, on the serial port?

You can pick up an IR cable over the web, or through the TIVO store for not much money, but if it works like it does on the DVR, don't expect it to be great. Serial is really the more reliable way to go as I understand it, and its much faster at changing the channels.

I'd suggest you call Verizon and try to get them to implement the feature on their serial port. That's what I'm going to do when I get my STB installed on the 19th, assuming it doesn't work (which based on your experience, I'm anticipating...)

Let me know any specifics you can on your setup, and what Verizon says about it if you call them--TIVO users who get FIOS should really hammer Verizon to update the port to allow the channel commands.

God knows their DVR's are unuseable for anyone who's been on TIVO...

-Daniel

Last edited by daneyul : 07-20-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #19
DeanErg

Daniel:
My serial port does not work at all, so I called Verizon. They confirmed that it is disabled, and does not work. They claimed that they could not turn it on, but I seriously doubt this. Everyone with FIOS should call and complain.

I did find an old IR cable, and hooked it up tonight. The joy of having Tivo again far outweighs the slow channel changing. I am going to keep calling Verizon and telling them that I need the serial port turned on. It is much faster and easier than the IR.

Who knows, maybe they will finally listen.

Anyone had success with Fios and getting the serial port enabled?

Rgds, Dean
DeanErg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #20
Omg_tacos

FIOS Serial Port

Has anyone else beside Dean tested a FIOS box? I really want the service, but I'm holding out switching until I know if they plan to implement the serial control==I used to have a box that used IR and it was too slow to use. If anyone has any further info please post.

-AB-
Omg_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:32 AM   #21
daneyul

Yep, doesn't work

Got my set top boxes yesterday, and as expected, the serial ports are inactive.

I immediately called Verizon, and after being on hold almost an hour, finally got to talk to someone. The sympathetic tech put me on hold a while, talked to some people, came back and said it wasn't currently implemented, but "might be in future firmware". They also suggest I use the IR cables, which I told them was so slow as to be unuseable. I insisted I talk to his supervisor to express my displeasure, and got another very nice, very sympathetic person who confirmed that others had called about the issue. Tried to get him to give me some solid time frame on when they would update it, as I don't plan to keep the service very long if the serial ports aren't enabled. He couldn't commit, but I did get the impression that it was on their to do list, so at least I'm hopeful. I figure I'll give them a month and call again to see if I can get a status at that point...otherwise, I'll go back to my old cable--they're offering more competitive deals now anyway, and I really can't take this IR slow channel changing.

Anyone who has FIOS, or is contemplating it, please call Verizon and let them know this is an important feature! The more people that let them know, the more likely we'll get a fix. The number for tech support for fios issues is: (888) 553-1555. In the early evening, my hold time was bad, but less busy times might be better.

-Daniel
Old 07-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #22
jjberger2134

Maybe when people call to sign up for FIOS, ask the agent if the serial ports are enabled. When the answer is no, or I do not know, then politely explain that you will not sign up without this feature. If they get enough callers that call to sign up, but eventually walk away with not signing up because of this issue, Verizon may realize this is an important feature.

If people have already signed on for the service, Verizon could probably not care at all. Their focus now is to get the most customers as possible, not to improve service for exisiting customers.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #23
stiffi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134
Maybe when people call to sign up for FIOS, ask the agent if the serial ports are enabled. When the answer is no, or I do not know, then politely explain that you will not sign up without this feature. If they get enough callers that call to sign up, but eventually walk away with not signing up because of this issue, Verizon may realize this is an important feature.

If people have already signed on for the service, Verizon could probably not care at all. Their focus now is to get the most customers as possible, not to improve service for exisiting customers.
You're not going to get Verizon to turn on features. It sounds disturbingly like their handling of Bluetooth on their Cell Phones. Evey cell phone they carry, they force the manufacturer to disable all bluetooth functions except for the headset connection. They have a some crazy control issues, when it comes to data sharing.
stiffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #24
Cgrisamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg_tacos
Has anyone else beside Dean tested a FIOS box? I really want the service, but I'm holding out switching until I know if they plan to implement the serial control==I used to have a box that used IR and it was too slow to use. If anyone has any further info please post.

-AB-

I got Verizon FIOS installed on July 1. IR channel changing with the Verizon set top box has been rock solid for me. I see lots of comments in various threads about how unreliable and slow it is but I have not missed a program...
Cgrisamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 PM   #25
daneyul

Can you give me an idea of the speed between clicking the up/down channel button on the tivo remote, and the actual change of the channel? And, if you hold the channel button down, does it keep up "real time"?
Old 07-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #26
Cgrisamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneyul
Can you give me an idea of the speed between clicking the up/down channel button on the tivo remote, and the actual change of the channel? And, if you hold the channel button down, does it keep up "real time"?

Have not done much of this as I mostly watch pre-recorded content versus live TV. The channel changing method Tivo uses with the IR cable is that it basically enters the 3 digit channel numbers one at a time. Thus if you were on channel 100 and hit the channel up button, on the set top box you'd see the numbers 101 entered individually by the Tivo.

From THAT perspective, I now understand the comments about it being "slow" as it is explicitly entering all of the numbers versus a channel up command. So if the realtime 'keeping up' is an important issue to you, you're probably not going to be happy...

Last edited by Cgrisamore : 07-21-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Cgrisamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #27
bombshell

Motorola DCT2500: firmware 7.54 & serial port

I contacted my cable company last week about upgrading my Motorola DCT 2500 firmware to v7.54 and enabling my serial port. In Excerpt 1 below, they said that f/w v7.54 was unavailable and did not acknowledge the serial port issue.

Is anyone aware of a Charter Communications office that does offer f/w v7.54 upgrades to the Motorola DCT2500 and enable serial ports, so I can refer my local outlet to them for guidance?

=======================
Excerpt 1:

....Thank you so much for contacting Charter Communications. I would be glad to
assist you in the best manner possible.

I understand that you would like to upgrade the DCT2500 to firmware version 7.54

I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. Currently version 7.54 of
DCT2500 is not available. However, we will notify you when it is available.

If you have additional questions, please contact our Customer Support
Representative at....

+++++++++++++++++++++++

TiVo Series 2 (stock) - 80hr, sw v7.2.2
Motorola DCT2500 - Charter Communications (Montgomery, AL)
bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #28
Bigdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjustice
The fiber runs from their can to a box on the side of your house caled the Optical Network Terminiator (ONT) which has "normal" connections inside (4 POTS lines, Ethernet, and Coax for TV).

All the wiring in your house looks like good old phone lines, CATV, and network.

You will get a wireless router (Dlink) to connect the Cat5 from the ONT to your network.

Gjustice,

You said that the fiber line runs 4 POTS lines. We just signed up for Verizon's FiOS Internet Service and Verizon Voice service. I'm concerned because one of my TiVos is in the basement and is not networked so it will still need a POTS line for itís daily call.

So, is the Verizon Voice service a POTS line?

Thanks,

Bigdude
TiVo HD -> Upgraded to 1367 SD / 157 HD
Bigdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #29
rsnaider

I have not tried my modems in my TiVo's but my alarm system has no issue using POTS over Fiber with FIOS.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #30
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdude
Gjustice,

You said that the fiber line runs 4 POTS lines. We just signed up for Verizon's FiOS Internet Service and Verizon Voice service. I'm concerned because one of my TiVos is in the basement and is not networked so it will still need a POTS line for itís daily call.

So, is the Verizon Voice service a POTS line?
I'm not sure what you are calling Verizon Voice. I know they have VoiceWing, which is their VOIP (Voice over IP) service, which is not a POTS line. As such it may not be compatible with the TiVo's modem.

But that may or may not be what you have.
If you did order VOIP service, you can try searching this forum for Vonage (a popular VOIP provider) for hints on how to try to get your TiVo's modem to work with VOIP.