TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
oecpat

Sony SVR2000 Hard Drives

I've been buying some old Sony SVR2000's lately. I now have three of them. Two without subs and one has a lifetime subscription. Now, can I cannibalize the un-subbed Tivo and add it's original drive into my subbed Tivo to add recording space, without doing anything to the drive to make it function properly?

Also, I know these Tivos have not had software upgrades from Tivo and are stuck for life at version 3, I believe. Therefore it can't see the new channels on OTA. Is there any way to make that happen, though. Any help is much appreciated.

I know the SVR2000 is old. We also have an HD Tivo, but I hate seeing old tech, that still has so much potential, go to waste.
oecpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oecpat View Post
I've been buying some old Sony SVR2000's lately. I now have three of them. Two without subs and one has a lifetime subscription. Now, can I cannibalize the un-subbed Tivo and add it's original drive into my subbed Tivo to add recording space, without doing anything to the drive to make it function properly?

Also, I know these Tivos have not had software upgrades from Tivo and are stuck for life at version 3, I believe. Therefore it can't see the new channels on OTA. Is there any way to make that happen, though. Any help is much appreciated.

I know the SVR2000 is old. We also have an HD Tivo, but I hate seeing old tech, that still has so much potential, go to waste.
You have to put a signature on a second drive that signals TiVo to "marry" the drives. Search in the Underground and Upgrades sections of this forum for details.

You might be able to get the S1 box to control some of the OTA converter boxes. You might look here: http://www.gratisoft.us/tivo/dtv.html

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
oecpat

Sony SVR2000 Hard Drives

Thanks. I'll look into that tomorrow. Again, thanks for the help.
oecpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
ggieseke

You can use an Apex OTA converter by telling your TiVo it's actually a Hughes satellite box. For Insignia and Zenith converters, tell the TiVo that it's a LG satellite box. None of the other converters happen to use the same IR codes as a device that's already in the IR database.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
LifeIsABeach

There is nothing special about the drives in a TiVo. No need to take the drives from the unsubscribed units. In fact those are probably old drives and may fail in the near future which would lose your recordings on both hard drives. You can buy any drive, marry it, and put it in your subscribed TiVo. What you may want to do is see if the unsubscribed units will work without a subscription. Most Sony Series 1 TiVos can.