TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #1
IndyTom

Bob Ross - the PBS Painting Guy

Do his reruns exist anywhere on TV?

My wife and I were talking about how fascinating it was to watch him whip out a painting in 30 minutes and wondered if any network ever picked up his shows.

Thanks!

Last edited by IndyTom : 05-15-2006 at 01:57 PM.
IndyTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Chapper1
Broncos Faithful

I know our PBS affiliate still shows them pretty regularly. I miss Bob Ross, it was a shame he has passed on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mario Kart Code: 1676-4068-2357
Chapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
flyers088
tcf junior member

They did a segment on him on VH-1 Return of the 80's (part 3). Totally forgot all about him.
flyers088 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #4
SeanC
ECT

I loved to watch him when I was a kid. I just found the program to be so relaxing and soothing. I generally fell asleep in 10-15 minutes.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
IndyTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper1
I know our PBS affiliate still shows them pretty regularly. I miss Bob Ross, it was a shame he has passed on!
I guess it must depend on whether or not my local affiliate schedules it or not. Sounds like I need to send them an email!

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
JDHutt25
Need more vacation

I've seen him on a few times lately. He was great. I had a neighbor that looked a lot like him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------------------------------------------
My TiVo's name is Fred

PSN ID: JDHutt25
WII friend code: 7951-3372-9248-4447
JDHutt25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Happy trees, they're happy trees.

There are a TON of small art studios that have classes on the Bob Ross "method". For a while there after Bob Vila left This Old House, he became the face of PBS. Remember the MTV promo?

Goofy guy but memorable.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
LordFett
Registered Offender

He was great in the Boondock's "Riley wuz here" episode.
LordFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #9
durl
67° 40% chance/rain

Our local affiliate carries his program as well.

"In our world, there are no mistakes; only happy accidents." I don't remember Bob's exact words, but that was priceless stuff.
durl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #10
Meathead
LSU Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
I loved to watch him when I was a kid. I just found the program to be so relaxing and soothing. I generally fell asleep in 10-15 minutes.
That is my exact same reaction to Bob Ross. I love to watch him, but the show is so relaxing to watch & his voice is so low & soothing that I was usually asleep before he was able to sign his name at the bottom!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
SeanC
ECT

I always thought he should put out an audio tape for insomniacs.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Meathead
LSU Tiger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
I always thought he should put out an audio tape for insomniacs.
The problem is that he is like NyQuil. You better be in bed when you take it because you are going to pass out right where you stand.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
desoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFett
He was great in the Boondock's "Riley wuz here" episode.

He died from cancer in '95.
desoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
IndyTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by desoma
He died from cancer in '95.
I believe I read that the Boondocks episode had an "art teacher" that was based on Bob Ross.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
LordFett
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom
I believe I read that the Boondocks episode had an "art teacher" that was based on Bob Ross.
That is exactly what it was. I've only seen the episode once but I don't recall that they ever said his name. But he did happy trees and everything just like Bob Ross did.
LordFett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I remember a great spoof on Bob Ross (SNL or similar). The premise was that he was a Vietnam vet and after he painted the happy trees he screamed that he saw VC hiding in them and went nuts.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #17
Turd Fergusson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy
I remember a great spoof on Bob Ross (SNL or similar). The premise was that he was a Vietnam vet and after he painted the happy trees he screamed that he saw VC hiding in them and went nuts.
FWIW, Bob actually was a Vietnam vet, and apparently somewhat of a bad-a$$ at that. Hard to believe when you watch his show.

Our PBS station out here plays a best of every Saturday. And like everyone, I'm ususally asleep before he signs his name.
Turd Fergusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #18
splendid
All day everyday :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance
Happy trees, they're happy trees.

I always loved when he said that! I love his paintings even more. I'd like to watch him again myself.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #19
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Fergusson
FWIW, Bob actually was a Vietnam vet, and apparently somewhat of a bad-a$$ at that. Hard to believe when you watch his show.
I know it's hardly gospel, but Wikipedia seems to suggest otherwise:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
He spent a twenty-year career with the U.S. Air Force in medical records, stationed mostly in Alaska...
This rumor sounds like the Mr. Rogers rumor that he was a Viet Nam vet.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #20
BriGuy20

Happy clouds!
BriGuy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #21
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

I love watching Bob Ross on PBS. Unfortunately, they haven't aired them in a while around here that I know of. Bob made me feel that I could paint as well as he could, even though deep down inside, I knew that I couldn't. I hope that he is enjoying that happy little cabin in the sky.
LiveBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #22
beeman65

I remember staying at my grandma's house during the day during summers growing up and we would always watch him. I thought he was fascinating and relaxing.
beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #23
Philly Bill
Everyday is Saturday

I didn't know he had died.

WP says his shows are in syndication on PBS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross

Philly Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #24
alansh

My local PBS station runs "The Best of the Joy of Painting" on Saturday mornings.

Because of his unforgettably mellow style, he's been often parodied.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #25
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Who was the painter on PBS they said "Fire it in!" regularly?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #26
durl
67° 40% chance/rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie
I remember that guy! I loved to watch him, too. He sounded German or Austrian. He'd jab the brush on to the canvas and say that line.

I was amazed at how he could make a beautiful painting using only a 4" brush and a something that looked like a putty knife. That guy was amazing!
durl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #27
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

And of course who could forget this guy?

The Secret City!

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:30 AM   #28
trnsfrguy
Advanced !

I liked when he would bring in some animal that he nursed back to health. Those episodes always knocked me right out.
trnsfrguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #29
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Okay, apologies in advance if this is a thread-crap, but I despise art shows like Bob Ross did.

On the surface it's all touchy-feeling, you can do anything you want. It sounds encouraging.

But the problem is, the teachers who say "you can just draw a little road in here like this if you want" and slaps it on the canvas in a couple of seconds knows all sorts of artistic principles that guides them to place that little road exactly in that place to make it look good. Which they AREN'T telling you.

So when you are drawing your own little cottage and you squiggle in a little path "anywhere you want" then it looks like CRAP because you've never been taught how to do it right. So then you think: I suck at this.

If you really want to learn to paint, set your TiVos to catch the shows by Alwyn Crawshaw, or find his books. (There are DVDs, too, but he's in the UK so there may not be NTSC DVDs or videos -- pity.)

When Crawshaw does something to the painting he's showing you, and he has to make a decision between one thing or another thing, he tells you what decision he is making and why he chose the answer he did, and sometimes he tells you about one of the other choices he didn't make, and when he might choose that instead.

So you actually LEARN something.

But he doesn't overwhelm you with all the choices you have to make to do a good painting. He discusses them at a pace which a beginner can keep up with.

You can find a list of some of his books on his website, and see his online gallery.

From his bio:
Quote:
Alwyn has written 25 books for Harper Collins, including "The Artist At Work" (his autobiography). One of his books, "A Brush With Art", was in the best Sellers list for 9 weeks, this has never been achieved before with an art instructional book.

Alwyn has made eight television series (68 half hour programmes), all have been screened by channel 4,some by the BBC, the Learning Channel and the Travel Channel, and are shown worldwide in countries which include the USA, Canada and Japan. His latest series is called "Crawshaw's Watercolour Cruise", filmed in the Middle East.
There's a section of the website which shows work that was done for the TV show or the books, of which this is my favorite:

Crawshaw assumes that his audience has the intelligence to learn proper technique and principles. He doesn't treat you like a dolt who can only slop color on a canvas according to how it makes you feel.

Jan

Last edited by murgatroyd : 05-16-2006 at 11:37 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #30
Bars & Tone
Will Draw for Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie
That would be Bill Alexander.
For some reason I always get a kick out of how he pronounces "Alizarin crimson".
I believe Bob Ross was a student of his.

"Many times, I find the 8" is just too small.":

"No, I like it small":
Bars & Tone is offline   Reply With Quote