I recently obtained a TCD24004A, with lifetime from a friend of mine (he's gone to the dark side, "XP MCE"). It's been "preconfigged" with 2 * 160GB HD's by an outfit from the US and works with 4.01b, and would appear to run fine if I lived in the US.
As-is: TCD24004A, 2 * 160GB HD's, USB Linksys TX100 (switched to the Linksys 200M when I saw the download/upgrade issues with the 100)
Tried: using single 200GB Maxtor for upgrades, to keep original drives intact.
My problem is, I'm in Canada, I *REALLY* need to get 7.2+ on it so I can use Postal codes, and actually get listings for it.
I've tried the following with varying results: (all with zip 00000, tiny tivo, area code 604)
1) Download upgrades from TiVo, with above config. - downloaded Upgrade Fails
2) Install single 200GB HD and tried a 7.2.2 image restore (sent by helpful image begging request) - Hardware error detected, remote unresponsive (even set at ID 0)
3) Tried above image again - Remote Unresponsive at set up screen (remote ID set to 0)
4) Purchased and tried pre made 'cooked' item 4.01b - Remote works, Upgrade fails at same point, unresponsive to telnet, port 80 , but pingable.
5) Purchased and tried pre made 'cooked' item 7.1 - Remote unresponsive at setup screen. Unresponsive to telnet, but pingable.
I DO have two "simple" Series 1's, with cachecards, currently operating in my household, but I want to get rid of them and start using the series 2's for the nice features, like Suggestions (which don't work anymore on my S1's)
I'm probably just going to give this unit back and buy a new DT unit. But I still would like to know why it didn't work.