TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
charlesd81

HD channel recording not in HD

I have Comcast Digital Cable. I was wondering what the deal is with HD. I know that TiVo can not record HD signals in HD until the new system comes out in late 2006, but can TiVo actually record HD signals in "non-HD" ? If that makes any sense. I wonder if it will actually see the HD signal but recording it at a lesser quality which is not HD. Does this make sense and is it possible? Thanks.
charlesd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
hitbyatrain
Your Hero

IF your cable box downconverts HD programs for SD tv's, then yes, your TiVo can.
hitbyatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #3
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
You have to set up the cable box as if it's feeding its signal into a non-HD television set.

It'll put out video that the TiVo will be able to record.

Just like digital cable boxes can work with older TV sets, they can work with a TiVo.

You'll just be getting a SD recording, not HD.

It'll be the same channels tho', so if the programming content is what's important to you (as opposed to HD picture quality), the TiVo will do the job for you.

Again, just set the cable box as if it's working with an analog TV set, and you'll be fine.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
MichaelK

is there a way to get the tivo to record and playback in 16:9?

I suppose you could output the picture from the cable box to the tivo in 4:3 and then just playback 4:3 from the tivo and tell your display to zoom in, but that seems like it would be wasteful- maybe not so bad since the tivo wouldn't waste soo many bits on the black bars when the STB outputs letterbox?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Some have tried this with an Over-The-Air HDTV tuner-

Set it to work with a 16x9 set, but feed the signal out via yellow RCA jack (or S-Video, if it'll work) to your TiVo. *

The TiVo will record the entire widescreen image, but squashed from left to right. Everyone will look very, very thin...

...if you played it back on a standard 4x3 TV.

Ah, but that's the point. You DON'T play it back on a 4x3 set. You play the TiVo into a widescreen TV.

The widescreen TV stretches the picture back out into 16x9, and you've got your widescreen picture back

It's not HD, but it is widescreen. No black bars. The HD tuner was putting out a picture that'd fill a 16x9 screen with a widescreen image, that's what the TiVo recorded, and that's what your widescreen TV ends up getting.

Same should work with a cable box, provided you can get it to still give off a widescreen feed that'll work with, let's say, a standard def. widescreen TV.

*(I've tried this with an OTA HD receiver, working with a standard 4x3 video monitor. I told the box the display was widescreen, which it wasn't. The monitor was able to create a picture. Everyone was all squashed and made to look too thin, but it did work, with a SD 4x3 monitor. I have to assume the TiVo would have recorded this "squashed image", and what it was putting out would have been stretched out to true widesreen if I'd played it into a widescreen display.)