Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Series1 DirecTiVo Software Update 3.5c Migration Thread

updated 9/2/08

3.5d has been rolled out for Series1 DirecTV TiVo units. The information (and fixes) discussed below still applies and has been slightly revised to reflect current status (some of the information is no longer relevant.

As mentioned in this thread, an update to the aging, but still viable Series1 DirecTV TiVo line of DVR's (Sony SAT-T60, Philips DSR6000, and Hughes GXCEBOT systems) is impending.

Here is what we know so far:

LBA48 Support
The 3.5.0 release does not contain an LBA48 kernel - this means anyone who is using a > 137GB drive and has used an LBA48 kernel, or kernel utility (such as CopyKern) will experience strange behavior when selecting programs from the Now Playing List.

We have confirmed that use of CopyKern, or direct use of Todd Miller's modified 2.4.24 kernel from the 3.1.0 software release, will NOT work when applied to 3.5.0. In fact, inititial tests will put the unit into a reboot loop if you attempt to do this (so don't...).

Note that TiVo has not yet released the source code modifications for 3.5 on their site, but it is expected that they will do so shortly. Once that happens, work can begin on creation of a newly modified kernel with LBA48 support. We will release a utility (at no charge) to the community, to aid in installation of the new kernel.

update: 5/10/2006 - 5:02CDT

Thanks to Todd Miller, we have an EXPERIMENTAL kernel that appears to be working for us in the lab. It is a recompiled version of the 3.1 kernel (the new config file is included in the tarred and gzipped contents along with the kernel).

You can download it from here, use tpip to install it and post your experiences to this thread. If you are unfamiliar with the kernel updating techniques and wish to not learn the details of updating your kernel and using tpip, then please be patient, we will update CopyKern and our free CD soon.

3.1+ Experimental Kernel

update: 5/12/2006 - 7:31CDT

New Release of the LBA48 CD (ver 4.04) includes a revised copykern and a recompiled kernel (labeled 3.10+) in the s1_kernels directory. We have done preliminary testing with this kernel in conjunction with version 3.5 of the Series1 DirecTV TiVo release and early tests are encouraging. If you have built LBA48 drives which are spuriously rebooting, or contain content that is not accessible through the "Now Playing" list, we encourage you to use copykern to transplant this newly updated kernel. Also note that you will need to use killinitrd to zap the new initrd (or use nic_config in the silicondust network driver release to achieve the same result).

Please see the PTVupgrade LBA48 Boot CD for more details.

Network Hacks
By definition, ALL hacks will be disabled as a result of a software update. This is because the new version of the software will be installed in what is now your "inactive" partition. The inactive partition will become active, and your active partition will become "inactive" after the update.

TurboNet drivers should still be intact in the new version of the software (however, telnet and ftp will not be accessible until you install them). CacheCard drivers will not be be intact as they were never part of the standard software release.

Prom Flash
We have confirmed that a prom update is not part of the update to 3.5; therefore, use of tivoflash is not required when rehacking your units.

Will applications work?

We have confirmed that versions of TiVoWebPlus 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 and 2.0 are almost entirely functional with 3.5.0. We have not tested many of the user contributed modules. Anyone with specific experiences or details is encouraged to post their observations and workarounds here.[/color]

Folks experiencing the update to 3.5.0 and beginning to re-hack their units, please post your experiences and best-practices recommendations here. There are probably more questions that answers at this point, so please be patient as the upgrade will be rolling out over the next several weeks and will take some time to propagate.

Happy upgrading!

Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 09-02-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: update for 3.5d
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
lew

It looks like the slice files D/L Monday. Are you planning to install it and see what changes or are you waiting for Directv to initiate the upgrade via phone call?
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
brophey
Woof woof!

I must be the only one who's system has upgraded.

It does a big 'Updating DB. This will take awhile.' when it booted up, so I imagine it's going to screw up a lot of programs that play in the DB, ie, TiVoWebPlus.

On the plus side, my 110hr box, fully loaded, loads the Now Playing list in about 3-5 seconds if not cached, and almost instantly if cached.

At any rate, it's becoming increasingly more difficult to grab an actual PC around my house here to test the hacks. Plus, I have no idea how to officially fix anything if anything goes wrong.

But, since it's not my main TiVo anymore, I'm willing to help out with any testing. I do have a network card in there (I forget which one it is. TurboNet? The one that's fully integrated into itself.)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by brophey
I must be the only one who's system has upgraded.

It does a big 'Updating DB. This will take awhile.' when it booted up, so I imagine it's going to screw up a lot of programs that play in the DB, ie, TiVoWebPlus.
Hopefully it uses the same type of database that 6.X uses, since TiVowebplus works with that just fine.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
ADent

CacheCard drivers installed and working.

Doesn't seem quite as snappy as 3.1.x sometimes - but I think the DDB is getting reindexed.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
curtis-r

Hughes DirecTV 30 (or 40) hour Series 1 Tivo. This week it started to reboot spontaneously. Last night it rebooted 4 times while watching pre-recorded material! Driving me crazy.

Software 3.1.0c2-01-1-031. No hacks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
curtis-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Experiment #1...

If you have telnet access to your TiVo, you can verify whether or not the new software has been downloaded (but not installed yet) by typing the following:

Code:
echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
If you see something like this:

Code:
Name                       Type        FsId      Date  Time   Size
----                           ----          ----        ----    ----     ----
3.1.0c2-01-1-031    tyDb       29558  07/29/04 17:31    708
3.5-01-1-031           tyDb       83344  04/27/06 07:37    680
ACTIVE                    tyDb       29558  07/29/04 17:31    708
It means the new software has downloaded, but the 3.10c2 software is still active.

If you want to attempt to "force" the install, you can do so, but you should do this first:

Edit the file /tvbin/installSw.itcl and find the line (its around line 155) where you see the "reboot" command, and replace the word reboot with "exit 0".

Now type:

Code:
./installSw.itcl 3.5-01-1-031
Once the installation is completed, the final steps won't be taken until you reboot the unit, but if you want to now mount the inactive partition, poke around, etc and even possibly attempt to preserve some of your hacks, you can do so.

I have just completed the above steps, but have not looked at any of the system files and have no idea whether it will be as simple as just moving drivers and binaries to their respective places in the new partitions or now. Perhaps some of you will forge ahead and we can compare results.

Do tread at your own risk, of course.

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 05-02-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Some updates...

The manual installation documented above worked just fine.

I attempted to preserve hacks and drivers by copying things over from the old active partition to the new one, but failed. I forgot a couple of files, and as it turned out, killinitrd was need again. So, things to do after you've manually invoked the install and rebooted your unit

1) pull the drive from your unit
2) backup drive using mfstools
3) reinstall network drivers using nic_install and don't forget to kill the initrd when asked

4) reinstall hacks

the kernel install is

Linux version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5

This build is NOT lba48-aware.

First attempts to install 3.1 lba48 kernel with copykern, did not have good results.

If any of you out there have experience building the kernel, consider rolling up your sleeves and building 3.5...

As a quick test, I installed TiVoWebPlus 1.2.1 and the startup was *almost* clean (see below); I haven't figured out what functionality has been affected by this error, yet:

Code:
bash-2.02# TivoWebPlus Project - v1.2.1
The program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This program is licensed under the GPL.
See the 'copyright' and 'README' files for copyright and credit information.
Loading modules...
backup
channelprefs
favicon
hackman
--hackman Version 4.0.2--
-Root directory mounted read-write
-Freepages left at 128  192     256
-Thursday, April 27, 2006, 03:08 PM, local time
index
-initializing logo index
-initializing channel table
--caching 699 channels for source of type=6 (DirecTV)
errNmNameNotFound object not found (errNmNameNotFound)

while executing
"mfs find $guideindexdir/ChannelTable"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
"transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
    set channeltablefsid [lindex [mfs find $guideindexdir/ChannelTable] 0]
    set channeltabledata [mfs get $channeltablefsid]
  }"
    (procedure "init_channelindex" line 125)
    invoked from within
"init_channelindex"
    (file "./modules/index.itcl" line 736)
    invoked from within
"source $module "
info
lj_utils
logos
logs
mail
mfsbrowser
phone
resources
Loaded 0 resource definitions
sched
screen
search
theme
ui
webremote
whatson
wishlists
xplusz
Accepting Connections
And lastly, for those of you patching tivoapp; you'll need to find the new offsets. I have no idea what they are, and I'm not certain whether the folks on DDB have looked at this stuff yet. Please don't ask me, I don't know...

Meetings to go to, but will do some more tonight/tomorrow and update with any other discoveries.

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 04-27-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
ISWIZ
Southern Yankee

I had used InstantCake and got the update. No problems seen so far.

DTV R15
Hughes Direct Tivo Combo @ 107hrs
ISWIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
rhuntington3
Howdy!

Any more LBA48 news on V3.5?

Lady, 8/7/2007.
rhuntington3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:23 PM   #11
Blackfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISWIZ
I had used InstantCake and got the update. No problems seen so far.
I have two SAT T-60's both which have drives built with the InstantCake CD. One has a 200 Gb drive that is pretty empty and the other has a 300 Gb drive that is about 1/2 full. The 200 Gb drive unit is working, has the 3.5 software and I can watch TV and any previously recorded shows. The 300 Gb drive will not boot. Almost like the cache card drivers are set to read only (from some previous upgrade) or there is more than 137 Gb of data on the drive.

I was thinking about pulling the drive out and re-installing the cache card drivers but am not sure if that will resolve anything. After that, I need to find the new tivoapp codes.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #12
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntington3
Any more LBA48 news on V3.5?
I've just verified that the kernel installed with 3.5 is NOT lba48-aware.

Whats' worse, is that my first attempt to use the 3.1 kernel provided by Todd Miller (installed with copykern) did not work - the system came up almost completely, but rebooted in the final stages. I have not picked through the logs yet.

[edit:] kernel log file attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt kernel.txt (39.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 04-27-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #13
Blackfoot

I attempted to reinstall my cache card drivers and dumped the log to my screen. I don't have a floppy to dump it on so I may have to summerize it as best I can.

I starts up and the first error message is that is can't open /var/mtab. It goes on to activate swap partitions.... Yeah who am I kidding about getting this in there.
It starts the fan control then errors that it can't open /dev/tivoconfig.
Checks on new software installation but errors that it could not check because it can't open the object (errDbNotFound)
Scans for phase3 and 4 repair scripts
Says rc.sysinit completes
MCP startup is complete
Using a smartSorter
Creating ApgReader
And the last line is InitializeProgramOrDie failed: 0x30001
Old 04-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
MadMike
wacked on the juice

My T-60 booted the 3.5 software yesterday. I pulled the drive and ran Steve Jenkins cd to get telnet, ftp and tivoweb going. The web interface comes up except for the NPL, I get this:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_nowshowing " "
can't read "cache_ns_rec": no such variable
while executing
"lsearch $cache_ns_rec $fsid"
(pricedure "print_nowshowingrow" line 64)
invoked from within
"print_nowshowingrow $chan $rec $nstype $rcount"
("uplevel" body line 4)
invoked from within
"uplevel $ body"
invoked from within
"ForeachMfsFileTrans fsid name type $nowshowingdir "" 15 (
set rec [db $db openid $fsid]
if {$nstype == 6} {
print_nowshowingrow $chan $r..."
(procedure "::action_nowshowing" line 61)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--

Any ideas?
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
ronsch

Mine had already installed and rebooted. Can I use bootpage to drop back to the previous lba48-aware implementation on the inactive partition or did the upgrade do a database conversion that will only corrupt everything if I try and drop back to 3.1?
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
Blackfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch
Mine had already installed and rebooted. Can I use bootpage to drop back to the previous lba48-aware implementation on the inactive partition or did the upgrade do a database conversion that will only corrupt everything if I try and drop back to 3.1?
I was wondering the same thing. But it does do a database upgrade, so it sounds like it wont work.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #17
vertigo235

All this talk is making me glad I allready added softwareupgrade=false to my bootpage!

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #18
Blackfoot

I grabbed a spare 120 gb drive and restored my 3.1.0c2 software on it. Upgraded it to 3.5 and attempted to backup a show using the original unscramble.o module but it failed.

Speaking of the SoftwareUpgrade=false, where can I find that. I know I have seen it before, but I think my eyes are starting to cross. I am going to restore my 3.1.0c2 image again and want to make sure that when my tivo calls home it doesn't try to update.

Ultimately I want to update the kernel and apply the tivoapp patch, but this way gets the tivo back up and it makes my wife happy to have her tv back again.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:45 PM   #19
ronsch

I think you can set it as a bootpage parameter but I haven't tried that myself. On my SA on or about line 740 of rc.sysinit is a reference to upgradesoftware where it checks to see if there is an update to install and then does it.

I believe you need to add the following statement:

export upgradesoftware=false

immediately before the check for that flag:

if [ "$upgradesoftware" = false ]; then

That should prevent the upgrade from happening. I'm still kicking myself for not adding it to my DTivo but who ever thought there would be a new release for S1.....

I have a backup of my image with all my hacks except the update to rc.net to implement wireless networking but that will be easy enough to redo. It's the nearly 284 hours of programming including a lot of movies I haven't watched yet that I hate to lose. I may just put my smaller 250gb drive back in with upgradesoftware fixed and wait and see if the hacking Gods can come up with an lba48 kernel to go with this release.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #20
catbert00

I realized that I got the upgrade when I couldn't access TiVoWebPlus today. I did notice a couple days ago that my favorite channels were gone - but I just swore at the TiVo and didn't think anything else of it.

So I cracked open the case tonight and reinstalled the Airnet drivers and I'm all connected again. I made copies of the important lines in my rc.sysinit and profile files to assist me in getting back on my feet ASAP after an upgrade.

TiVoWebPlus had problems - but I see that is mentioned as to be expected. I don't really have much else in the way of hacks.

My main problem is that I get a "failed while negotiating" message when trying to make the daily or test call using the network. I verified my prefix is OK (and even re-entered it).

I didn't go through the TiVoflash step. Could that be my problem?

Any other ideas?
catbert00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:10 AM   #21
Blackfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch
I think you can set it as a bootpage parameter but I haven't tried that myself. On my SA on or about line 740 of rc.sysinit is a reference to upgradesoftware where it checks to see if there is an update to install and then does it.

I believe you need to add the following statement:

export upgradesoftware=false

immediately before the check for that flag:

if [ "$upgradesoftware" = false ]; then
That did the trick. I also found another section in there that mentioned a software upgrade.
# Check for software upgrade
if [ "$swupgrade" = true ]; then
/tvlib/tcl/updateSoftware.tcl
fi
Forced a daily call, it downloaded the update and set the unit to pending restart. Rebooted the machine and I never saw the "Tivo is upgrading your software" spalsh screen. I am still running 3.1.0c2. Now I need to disable the CSO, reload TWP and all my season passes. At least my wife is happy and has TV until the TiVo gods can do their magic so we can get our large disk back in there. Thanks for the post ronsch.

Oh yeah. And I bummed I missed out on how to make chile rellenos...
Old 04-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #22
ronsch

The other bad thing is I have to put the NFL draft on my SA today. At least I can set that to Basic quality.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #23
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catbert00

I didn't go through the TiVoflash step. Could that be my problem?
We've confirmed that you will not need to use TiVoFlash again - ie, the software update does not affect the firmware, so if you've previously used tivoflash to update to an earlier version of the firmware (which allows hacks to be installed), you should not need to do it again (doing it won't hurt anything, though).

Old 04-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

latest status of updated lba48 kernel

For those curious about this issue...

To create an updated LBA48 kernel for 3.5, we will need access to the updated source code, which is typically released on TiVo's web site, in accordance with the GPL. Its not there, yet but when it becomes available, we will be working towards getting an updated kernel (and a revised version of copykern) made available as soon as possible.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #25
jsharper
rebmeM weN

hmmm. i know tivo has been the one to release the gpl'ed code in the past. But technically, it is DirecTV who is selling us this binary software (via our DirecTV DVR Service) and therefore I'd say they are the ones required by the GPL to provide the source for included software that was GPL licensed (the linux kernel, glibc, various utilities and any necessary toolchain components to build it all).
jsharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #26
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharper
hmmm. i know tivo has been the one to release the gpl'ed code in the past. But technically, it is DirecTV who is selling us this binary software (via our DirecTV DVR Service) and therefore I'd say they are the ones required by the GPL to provide the source for included software that was GPL licensed (the linux kernel, glibc, various utilities and any necessary toolchain components to build it all).
That may be the case (as it may always have been). My guess is that nothing will change and that it will show up in its usual place, here:

http://www.tivo.com/linux/linux.asp

All I can say at this point is that a few folks at TiVo know that its not there, that we are waiting for it, and that it is being looked into (as of yesterday afternoon) but beyond that, we will have to wait.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #27
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfoot
That did the trick. I also found another section in there that mentioned a software upgrade.
# Check for software upgrade
if [ "$swupgrade" = true ]; then
/tvlib/tcl/updateSoftware.tcl
fi
Forced a daily call, it downloaded the update and set the unit to pending restart. Rebooted the machine and I never saw the "Tivo is upgrading your software" spalsh screen. I am still running 3.1.0c2. Now I need to disable the CSO, reload TWP and all my season passes. At least my wife is happy and has TV until the TiVo gods can do their magic so we can get our large disk back in there. Thanks for the post ronsch.

Oh yeah. And I bummed I missed out on how to make chile rellenos...
You are the one who's right. Both of them need to be commented out or otherwise fixed. I put an alternate disk in with just the one I pointed out to you taken care of and it installed the update anyway.

So i dropped back and punted. Took care of both flags in rc.sysinit and, just for good measure, also set the flag in the bootpage. The software got downloaded but did not install on the reboot.

Now I have my 250 back in with the same treatment and it's happily indexing guide data. I expect to see my SP recordings show up on the To Do list by morning.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:50 AM   #28
Lateshowrob

Could this darn 'upgrade' have fried my stock, non-upgraded Phillips DTivo? I am stuck in an endless 'Welcome Powering Up' loop.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Homer: "MMM...Open faced club sand wedge."
Lateshowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #29
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
It's been reported in the past -- and happened to me -- that the work necessary for the hard drive when a big update happens might push an old, on-its-last-legs drive over the edge. So while it may have been working fine before the update, it's possible there were errors on the disk. Think of this as an opportunity, rather than an impediment.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #30
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateshowrob
Could this darn 'upgrade' have fried my stock, non-upgraded Phillips DTivo? I am stuck in an endless 'Welcome Powering Up' loop.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Absolutely. It's entirely possible that you had bad sectors in the inactive partition that the 3.5 software was loaded into. There's a spirited discussion on this phenomena elsewhere in the forums.