TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
BillyBob_jcv
Doh!

Wired IR Extender?

I am one lazy b@stard - and because of this I have a problem...

In our bedroom, the DTivo is on a shelf that is directly below the TV. Unfortunately, it also means the IR sensor is below the line-of-sight when I'm in bed, forcing me to either sit up (*groan*) or hold the remote over my head at a downward angle, giving my shoulder RRS (Repetitve Remote Syndrome) -

The IR->RF->IR extenders seem like overkill just to shift the DTivo IR sensor up about 2 feet. Moving the DTivo reduces WAF. Is there any kind of simple, cheap wired IR extender that would allow me to put the IR sensor up near the TV and an IR emitter down on the DTivo?
BillyBob_jcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
JaserLet

http://www.smarthome.com/prodindex.asp?catid=258
JaserLet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
JimSpence
Just hangin'

You might try putting an aluminum foil cone in front of the IR sensor. It might collect enough IR from the remote to activate the TiVo. Or maybe an appropriately positioned mirror.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Scott in CO

Maybe what you need is a remote with a bit more IR signal strength. The MX-350 I use in our bedroom can be pointed in any direction and it will bounce around sufficiently to reach the equipment. You should be able to perform a bank shot off the ceiling down to the Tivo without any interference.
Scott in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Especially if there is a mirror on the ceiling.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
MikeF

AOL CDs work real well for this :-). I've placed an AOL CD (reflective side up) just under my DirecTiVos IR sensor thats on the bottom shelf (about 1/3 of the CD is sticking out). This has made this unit a lot more responsive to IR signals. If you don't mind it, you might be able to do similar with one on top of the cabinet (or TV) so its like at a 45 degree angle to reflect your signal down to the CD under the DTiVo...

You could also mount a mirror over the bed to reflect the signals. Might have to explain that one to your significant other though...
2 Hughes SD-DVR80 - Zippered
1 Hughes SD-DVR40 - Zippered
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #7
BillyBob_jcv
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaserLet
Thanks, but for $100 (as far I can tell that's the cheapest solution at your link) I can buy several of the cheap IR->RF->IR extenders. I had previously looked a Smarthome, but I was really hoping for something as cheap as the wireless extenders, just without the need for two boxes and their antennas.

A reflector (like a CD) is worth a try. Maybe 2 CDs - one sticking out a bit under the DTivo and one sticking out a bit under the TV. May not pass the WAF test, but it's worth a try!
Old 04-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF
AOL CDs work real well for this :-).
Wow, that's what those are for! I finally have a use for them!!

Years ago, AOL used to send me free floppy discs which I could certainly use, but I wrote asking them to send them with a plain white label instead of the colored ones with writing all over them.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
BillyBob_jcv
Doh!

So far, the CD reflector didn't make any improvement. I haven't found a good place to put a second reflector - the shelf where the dtivo sits is set back from the lip of the table, so there's no reasonable way (that I have found) to bounce the signal down to it. I guess I'll think about a wireless extender.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
fgr41

For a great remote extender you really need to look at

http://nghp.net/

It converts any IR remote into a RF remote and only has one small UFO base station which can be positioned up to 30 feet from the IR sensor of the TiVO. I have 2 units in my home and wouldn't think of doing it any other way.
fgr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #11
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgr41
For a great remote extender you really need to look at

http://nghp.net/

It converts any IR remote into a RF remote and only has one small UFO base station which can be positioned up to 30 feet from the IR sensor of the TiVO. I have 2 units in my home and wouldn't think of doing it any other way.

1. I didn't see a way to order them from that page. Do you have to call them to order?
2. Why do you need 2 units?
3. If I have 4 remotes that I want to use, can I just buy the "battery" part, or do I have to buy the whole unit with another base station?

Ideally I'd like to have one of the base stations and the triple eye tether cord placed at my entertainment center (one eye at one tivo, one at another tivo and one at the dvd player - all of these units already distribute signals throughout the house) and be able to control them all from 4 different remotes in 4 different rooms (maybe even 5 remotes). How much do you think this would set me back?

I'm currently using several of the "pyramid" senders and receivers and they're very touchy.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
BillyBob_jcv
Doh!

Is the "mini-battery" used to replace the AA a standard size that is readily available?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #13
Lee L
Got Basenji?

You can buy the Xantech 291 kit for about $60 at www.worthdist.com IIRC.

Do you work in the Raleigh, Durham, RTP Cary or Morrisville area and find that you are hungry in the middle of the day on Wednesdays?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
jsup

I have this product:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...CAT=&PROD=LRRX

It is FANTASTIC.

Has an output and comes with a wired IR emitter to make life easy.
jsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:00 PM   #15
CiXel

If you have 4 different remotes to convert, and have resolved to go wireless I would just check out the x-10 Pyramids. I have 2 sets around the house controlling two different Tivos (and one also controls a dvd player). That way you don't have to spend an extra $30 for each battery RF transmitter, and you don't have to worry about charging the RF battery. You should be able to find them for around $20 on ebay.
CiXel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXel
If you have 4 different remotes to convert, and have resolved to go wireless I would just check out the x-10 Pyramids. I have 2 sets around the house controlling two different Tivos (and one also controls a dvd player). That way you don't have to spend an extra $30 for each battery RF transmitter, and you don't have to worry about charging the RF battery. You should be able to find them for around $20 on ebay.

I don't like the way the pyramids work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew
I'm currently using several of the "pyramid" senders and receivers and they're very touchy.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
Directvlover
Go Huskers!

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF
AOL CDs work real well for this :-). I've placed an AOL CD (reflective side up) just under my DirecTiVos IR sensor thats on the bottom shelf (about 1/3 of the CD is sticking out).

Finally a good use for an AOL CD. !
Directvlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #18
Matt_G

Hi, want a job done right..do it yourself. http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circui...face/irext.htm

For $5 you can assemble this gadget that picks up the signal and emits from am emitter on the end of a wire of whatever length. Runs on 12v so use an adapter or a battery

It's a simple electronics project if you have a soldering iron a little time. See the guys at Radio shack for help on the parts. I came across this today and am going to build one for myself for some components that I've set up in an enclosed A/V cabinet. The sony dvd changer set it's IR in the far bottom left side of the faceplate so its hard to spot. I'm not fond of sony but thier dvd changer is one of a kind.
RCA RCU810 Uni-remote with RF mod
Phillips Pronto with RF mod
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Did you ever build this remote control extender?

I was wondering if you could give us a review of the outcome...
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Wow! You found a 1 YO thread.

Anyway, I'd PM Matt_G to ask that question as he doesn't seem to post very often and probably won't see this.

Or maybe another member has built it.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #21
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yeah, I thought that might get a notice!

I was out searching for an IR receiver and the costs are ridiculous...

I have a TIVO in a closed cabinet in my family room that I would like to be able to access with the remote.

I also have another TIVO in my media room that drives both the projector and another TV in the adjoining game room.

In total I need three IR receivers and the sticker shock took me by surprise.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
telcoman
Telcoman

Why can't you just call your wife to change the channel?

Comcast Central New Jersey Middlesex County
One series 4 Premiere Elite, Three Series 3 Digital HD w M Card, Two Series 2, Slingbox classic,Sony 36" XBR Flat Screen 250 lb Tube w 6 inputs
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote