TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #31
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Working well for me. Good job! Tivo should buy this from you.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #32
marksman
ID-10-T

Won't this application confuse people? Won't people be unable to process the amount of free space their tivos have? I think this is a dangerous application.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #33
ufo4sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman
Won't this application confuse people? Won't people be unable to process the amount of free space their tivos have? I think this is a dangerous application.
I hope your being sarcastic. This is the easiest thing to use. The only part that is confusing is figuring out what size hard drive you have and not the amount of hours it can record.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #34
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahoe
I tested this and see what you mean. I'll see what I can do.

OK. Try downloading v0.51a of the .exe and just replacing it in your apps folder.
Thanks, that fixed the width issue.

I've noticed a few other minor issues:

1. Some shows are showing the wrong quality setting. There are "high" quality shows that are showing up as "medium" quality and "best" quality shows that are showing up as "high" quality. All my cable channels are digital which means they have a cleaner signal which probably explains why they higher quality recordings are smaller than expected. Here's some examples:
a) Anything over .70 is showing as medium quality, but I have a number of "high" quality shows in the .70's. The highest "high" quality recording I have is showing as .80 (med). I true "medium" quality show shows up as .084. So in my case "medium" is > 0.80.
b) Anything over .45 (and less than .70) shows up as "high", but I have a few "best" shows with values up to and including 0.59. So in my case "best" goes up to 0.59 and then "high" starts at 0.60 and goes to .080.

Maybe these ranges can be manually set or changed?

2. I received a "http authorization error" when I clicked save. Clicking save again worked. In previous study I've found that the TiVo can't handle more than 4 connections at once or it returns an error. This might have been what happened.

3. The MAK value is stored in human readable format in the TiVoPlayList.ini file in the program directory. It would be better if it at least encoded/encrypted it so it wasn't readable (or at least not so obvious). Especially since the program itself displays stars in the MAK field.

4. Some of the times are a second off. I know this is an issue with the actual data returned from the TiVo, but your program should probably round to the nearest whole minute it the time is off by a second.

Other than that great work. Thanks.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 PM   #35
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
Thanks, that fixed the width issue.

I've noticed a few other minor issues:

1. Some shows are showing the wrong quality setting. There are "high" quality shows that are showing up as "medium" quality and "best" quality shows that are showing up as "high" quality. All my cable channels are digital which means they have a cleaner signal which probably explains why they higher quality recordings are smaller than expected. Here's some examples:
a) Anything over .70 is showing as medium quality, but I have a number of "high" quality shows in the .70's. The highest "high" quality recording I have is showing as .80 (med). I true "medium" quality show shows up as .084. So in my case "medium" is > 0.80.
b) Anything over .45 (and less than .70) shows up as "high", but I have a few "best" shows with values up to and including 0.59. So in my case "best" goes up to 0.59 and then "high" starts at 0.60 and goes to .080.

Maybe these ranges can be manually set or changed?

2. I received a "http authorization error" when I clicked save. Clicking save again worked. In previous study I've found that the TiVo can't handle more than 4 connections at once or it returns an error. This might have been what happened.

3. The MAK value is stored in human readable format in the TiVoPlayList.ini file in the program directory. It would be better if it at least encoded/encrypted it so it wasn't readable (or at least not so obvious). Especially since the program itself displays stars in the MAK field.

4. Some of the times are a second off. I know this is an issue with the actual data returned from the TiVo, but your program should probably round to the nearest whole minute it the time is off by a second.

Other than that great work. Thanks.
Thanks morac.

1) This has been an issue I have visited before with different people. I have also changed these ranges slightly with previous versions of the program. Unfortunately, the recording quality is not returned with the first level of info from the TiVo, it could be accessed by drilling down into each show, but that would be a slow process. With that said, I believe that some variation in compression rate exists between different versions of TiVo machines. I also think that the number one problem in mis-reporting a quality using these ranges is that the TiVo grabs chunks of disk space in advance of recording the info and doesn't give it back if the recording is stopped or ends. The shorter the show, the greater a chance of error. And shows that get clipped or don't record in exactly 30 minute slices are the worst.

My machine is rock solid at .40 for best, .64 for high and .82 for medium quality. For all shows that are 30, 60, 90, 120, 250 minutes, etc. For shows that are say 25 minutes, the ratio goes up (incorrectly) because of space that was allocated but not recorded.

2) Network connection/communications glitches can and do occur.

3) I hide the MAK on the program screen so people can safely show screen captures to each other. I find it easy to edit and copy/paste into the .ini in human readable form. If you don't like it stored there, just leave that field blank in the program and you will get a web browser login window that shows asterisks and will save your password (MAK) across sessions.

4) I show the actual recording duration reported by the TiVo down to the second. I round the program start times up by 6 seconds for recordings that start just before the scheduled time (i.e. if 11:29:57 is reported as the recording start time, I show 11:30)

Thanks again, all comments and suggestions will be considered. Even if I don't plan on doing something right now, doesn't mean I won't at some point in the future.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #36
Joeg180
Burning Daylight

Just downloaded this app, great work!
Joeg180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #37
gothamknight

Thanks for the great work. One odd thing though, on my system the Free Disk Space reads as 0.0 GB even though only 55.6GB out of a 160GB drive has been used.

gothamknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:31 AM   #38
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamknight
Thanks for the great work. One odd thing though, on my system the Free Disk Space reads as 0.0 GB even though only 55.6GB out of a 160GB drive has been used.
Did you manually enter your Total Disk Space (160GB) next to the IP Address and MAK and click SAVE?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #39
gothamknight

Doh! I knew I forgot something. Thanks!
gothamknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #40
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

New version v0.52 is now available for download.

New features include ability to drill down into folders in Folder View, TiVo Suggestions grouped into one folder in Folder View, and TiVo Suggestions added to Pie Chart when viewing disk usage by status.

As before, you can download from http://tivoplaylist.dyndns.org

Last edited by dcahoe : 01-11-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:43 AM   #41
Timber

Very cool.

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #42
mfrns0123

Nice work dcahoe! Thank you
mfrns0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:34 PM   #43
cynthetiq

thank you for this AWESOME application... of course I'm sure that the Mac people would be quite jealous.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, Indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Independent, either you're an ******* or you're not.
cynthetiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #44
krypdo
Silent Majority

Very nice program. I'm switching to this app from Galleon for downloading as this doesn't seem to hog resources.

I have to access https://<my tivo ip>/nowplaying/index.html with IE (Firefox won't work) everytime I start the app before I can download. Seems to be the norm right now but hope it can be fixed in the future.

One feature request: includes episode title in the default download file name (e.g. Without a Trace - Manhunt (Recorded xx-xx-xx)) would be nice.

My wife is obsessive-complusive about deleting/moving shows to create free space. She's gonna like this.
krypdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #45
Sirshagg

I have no doubt the answere is no but i've got to ask....

Is there any way to use this app to tell one TiVo to transfer a show to another TiVo?
Sirshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 PM   #46
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirshagg
Is there any way to use this app to tell one TiVo to transfer a show to another TiVo?
Sorry no, you cannot schedule or delete shows with the program.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 AM   #47
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Thanks Everyone

TiVoPlayList has been available for just over 2 months now. It has received some great feedback.

Thanks to everyone for the support,
David Cahoe

Last edited by dcahoe : 04-12-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #48
rjmitche

Nice work dcahoe.

Any chance you could keep a little log of downloads and the relevant information for each (date/time, file name, file size, recording quality, recording length, transfer time, average transfer rate, etc.). That way, anyone that is using your app to transfer shows from the TiVo would have a consistent way to measure and compare transfer speeds.
rjmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #49
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmitche
Nice work dcahoe.

Any chance you could keep a little log of downloads and the relevant information for each (date/time, file name, file size, recording quality, recording length, transfer time, average transfer rate, etc.). That way, anyone that is using your app to transfer shows from the TiVo would have a consistent way to measure and compare transfer speeds.
Sure, adding a download log makes good sense and should be easy to implement. Watch for it in the next release. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #50
rcr102360

Question

I had this thing working, but now I get a Load Error message. Checked IP and MK numbers.
rcr102360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #51
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr102360
I had this thing working, but now I get a Load Error message. Checked IP and MK numbers.
Does your router assign your TiVo IP through DHCP? If so, maybe it changed, double check it on the TiVo Settings screen.

You might try browsing to https://x.x.x.x/nowplaying/index.html. Substitute your IP for the x's, the login username is tivo, and the password is your MAK. Then trying TiVoPlayList again.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #52
rcr102360

My IP number changed. Got it to work now. Thanks.
rcr102360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #53
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

New version v0.53 of TiVoPlayList is now available for download.

New features include a download history log which keeps transfer stats (size, duration, xfer rate, etc) and the default save file name now includes the episode name of recordings.

Look for the log file in the programs folder under the name 'Download_Log.txt'.

As before, you can download from http://tivoplaylist.dyndns.org

Last edited by dcahoe : 01-11-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:38 AM   #54
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

IE7 Issues

There have been reports of problems accessing TiVo recorders using TiVoPlayList (or even just the web browser method) if IE7 is installed. People should realize that IE7 is in beta. A quick Google of 'IE7 wininet' will find many problems with many applications. Microsoft rewrote the wininet.dll that IE7 installs and it has some problems with certain methods used by many current programs. I believe they will fix this problem by the final release of IE7.

In the mean time, you can simply replace the wininet.dll found in your \Windows\System32 folder with a previous version from your OS or service packs. I have a version available for FTP at the TiVoPlayList site in the program archive area found here -> http://tivoplaylist.dyndns.org

This version should work with Windows 2000 and XP, but I give no promises for people running Windows 98 or ME. Just overwrite/replace the copy on your system. You might want to make a backup copy or rename your file before overwriting it.

Thanks,
David Cahoe

Last edited by dcahoe : 01-11-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:49 AM   #55
louisw

A suggestion-

Allow the IP address to be a normal internet address. I use dyndns.org, so my home network is at XXX.dyndns.org I would rather type that in, than the actual IP address.
louisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #56
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisw
A suggestion-

Allow the IP address to be a normal internet address. I use dyndns.org, so my home network is at XXX.dyndns.org I would rather type that in, than the actual IP address.
I believe that this should work already. I verified by putting a DNS entry in my hosts file at work and accessing my TiVo at home using the hostname I created instead of a straight IP address.

The DNS server that you mention needs to be pointing to your TiVo and not your PC, and port 443 needs to available or mapped.

You can attach the port to the IP address (or dns name) in TiVoPlayList like this:
XXX.dyndns.org:443

---
Actually, depending on how the DNS server you mentioned is accessed, it may not work. Using your web browser, can you access your TiVo via https://XXX.dyndns.org/nowplaying/index.html ?

If not, it won't currently work. Perhaps some sort of DNS lookup could be added to the program to execute first and substitute into the https call. Hmmm. Or perhaps there already exists a program out there that will do this needed DNS lookup and insert a DNS name into your hosts file before you run TiVoPlayList.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #57
solstice

Two items - one comment, and one observation

1) I love the program --- thank you! - Tivo desktop wont run with my VPN (I have to disable the VPN service to run) and this is a better alternative!
2) I too, like several others have run into the issue where I get "Web Browser Authorization failed." when trying to download. This was rectified (as suggested in this thread) by actually accessing the Tivo through the web browser (h-t-t-p-s:TiVo-ip-address/nowplaying/index.html). Once that was done, I was golden! Or so I thought -- one of my two tivos was rebooted, and boom! - same problem - but just with the rebooted TiVo. Access the rebooted Tivo again directly -- and boom! -- I am golden again.
solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #58
ZombiE
TIVO Bender

Would just like to thank dcahoe for taking the time to write this useful program.
I use it all the time now to transfer the shows I like to keep for taking with me when I travel.
I haven't traveled yet, but I do now have about 10 programs to put on my PDA for plane rides.

Thanks again for this.

Alex
ZombiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #59
rjmitche

Thanks for the download log file... that really helps me keep track of my transfer speeds. Any chance you could add show "duration" (and/or show quality information) to the log? I know it's not really relevant to the transfer rate but, I think it helps complete the picture when people want to know how fast someone can transfer a recording of a given length/quality. Also helps make the leap to "real time transfer rate" a bit easier.

Thanks again!
rjmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #60
jjberger2134

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahoe
Does your router assign your TiVo IP through DHCP? If so, maybe it changed, double check it on the TiVo Settings screen.

You might try browsing to https://x.x.x.x/nowplaying/index.html. Substitute your IP for the x's, the login username is tivo, and the password is your MAK. Then trying TiVoPlayList again.
I am having the same problem, but cannot seem to get around this issue. This looks like an awesome program and would love for it to work for me.

I am running TiVoPlayList v.053, and I have 2 TiVo's and have double checked each of the IP addresses from the TiVo Desktop. I am running a Linksys router. I have accessed my Now Playing List from Internet Explorer via https://IPADDRESS/nowplaying/index.html and entering "tivo" and my MAK. I have also temporarily disabled Norton Internet Security. No matter what I do I am receiving the "Load Error:Check IP address and/opr Logon Information".

Any suggestions?
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote