TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
adamwsh

$249 vs $499

How does Tivo justify the $250 price difference between the Tivo HD and HD XL when the only difference in the two is 130 hours of space. The cost of the 20 hour drive vs. the 150 hour drive is less than $100. Where do they come up with $250?

If people are smart, they'll buy an HD and replace the drive themselves.
Two Tivo Series2s (One Lifetime, One Monthly)
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
adamwsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
flatcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwsh View Post
How does Tivo justify the $250 price difference between the Tivo HD and HD XL when the only difference in the two is 130 hours of space. The cost of the 20 hour drive vs. the 150 hour drive is less than $100. Where do they come up with $250?

Most people aren't aware that this is even a possibility.
flatcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Most of the extra cost is likely going to the THX certification. The HDXL is certified while the HD is not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Karl Childers

. . . AND the premium Glo-Remote, which is teachable.
Karl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Most of the extra cost is likely going to the THX certification.
Oh yeah. Forgot about that difference. I don't think most people care about that either. They just want more space.
----------

Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Oh yeah. Forgot about that difference. I don't think most people care about that either.
I'd bet that the HD and HDXL are built to the same specs, just that Tivo didn't bother having the HD certified so they could keep the costs down.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

It's what they (Tivo inc.) decided the market can bear just like every price of every product by every company operating in a free market economy.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Childers View Post
. . . AND the premium Glo-Remote, which is teachable.
50 bucks retail, minus the price of the regular remote that it replaces...
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
RonDawg

Quote:
Not everybody is comfortable with doing that.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
reubanks

Personally, I bought my HDXL so I could go 2TB on a single internal drive.
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #11
jcthorne

Anyone seen any really good deals on TivoXL models?

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
schwinn

Quote:
In addition to the above reasons, another reason is because replacing the drive yourself effectively voids the warranty... with the XL, you keep it going.
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
adamwsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
In addition to the above reasons, another reason is because replacing the drive yourself effectively voids the warranty... with the XL, you keep it going.
You mean the lengthy 1-year warranty!? Well, I guess you could buy the HD and live with 20 hours for 1 year then upgrade.
----------

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It's what they (Tivo inc.) decided the market can bear just like every price of every product by every company operating in a free market economy.
This.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
bicker
Gruff

Yes: That.

And keep that fact handy in your head: It answers most questions of the same sort.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
schwinn

Quote:
You mean the lengthy 1-year warranty!? Well, I guess you could buy the HD and live with 20 hours for 1 year then upgrade.
Considering I'm getting my 3rd TivoHD for "weird problems" that they can't explain, I'd say I'm glad I haven't upgraded the internal drive yet... even though it's sitting in a box, ready to go in...

Some CE hardware is only warrantied for 90-days... 1 year is pretty good, and probably average for the industry. You can always buy an extended warranty if you so desire... but even that would most-likely be voided with a hard drive hack...
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
mr.unnatural

Get yourself an external drive such as the Fantom 1TB green drive that typically sells for about $80 after MIR. You won't void the warranty with the external drive since you won't have to open the case and there's no hacking involved in getting it to work.

One word of caution regarding drive upgrades. With a lot of recording capacity you'll be tempted to fill up the drive with lots of recordings. Chances are slim to none that you'll ever watch all of the shows you have recorded before the drive eventually dies, resulting in the loss of any recordings you'd like to keep long term.

I prefer to add enough recording capacity to cover any contingencies such as extended business trips where I won't be able to watch any shows at home until I return. If there's anything I'd like to keep permanently or for an extended period I generally offload it to my PC, edit out the commercials, and then upload it to my unRAID server where the data is protected with a parity drive in case of a drive failure.

Obviously, everyone's viewing habits are different so you'd have to decide what works best for you. My method has worked well for me for about 10 years as I can honestly say that I've lost very few shows due to drive failures. There are numerous sources online for obtaining any shows that get lost so it's not as catastrophic as it once was.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
schwinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Get yourself an external drive such as the Fantom 1TB green drive that typically sells for about $80 after MIR. You won't void the warranty with the external drive since you won't have to open the case and there's no hacking involved in getting it to work.
Really? Last I read, the TivoHD (the topic of this thread) requires special external drives... only the original S3 can use "any" external drive... and using a non-approved external drive requires some hacking.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
johnf@home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
?? I thought the only external drive that worked with the TiVo HD (or the XL)was the WD Extender (500MB or 1GB).

A series 3 can work with different drives, but that's never going to be the cheap option, given the base price of the Series 3.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #20
mr.unnatural

My bad. I've two S3's with the Fantom external drives. I didn't realize the HD requires a specific drive other than what works with the S3. It's been months since I looked at that thread and forgot most of what I read. If that's actually the case then I'm glad I have the S3.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote