TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
johnk

Way to empty entire "Recently Deleted" folder?

Hello,

My Tivo was updated with the new "Recently Deleted" (aka recycling bin) feature. Apparently it must hold references to previously deleted shows (before the feature was added), because it already shows 108 items in it!

Does anybody know if there is a way to empty the folder without deleting each item individually? Or does it even matter since stuff in that folder will automatically be deleted first to make room for new shows? I looked around and couldn't find any "empty recycling bin" type of option.

Thanks,
John

Tivos since 2002
Tivo TCD540, 80 GB
Sony SVR3000, 500 GB
APC XS-1500 Battery Back-UPS
Netgear FA-120 USB Ethernet Adapters
Linksys WET54GS5 Wireless Ethernet Bridge
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:16 AM   #2
lessd

You can't & why would you want to, unless your watching some sex programs you don't want your kids or wife to know about. TiVo will do it when it needs the space.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:48 AM   #3
mumpower

You would do it in order to clean out the clutter. The instant I got this download on our bedroom TiVo, I saw 68 items in our deleted folder. Even if I wanted to restore something from that grouping, it would be a tremendous aggravation. Some sort of batch delete would certainly be appreciated.
mumpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpower
You would do it in order to clean out the clutter. The instant I got this download on our bedroom TiVo, I saw 68 items in our deleted folder. Even if I wanted to restore something from that grouping, it would be a tremendous aggravation. Some sort of batch delete would certainly be appreciated.
Deleting them from the RD folder does nothing other than make them disappear from the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
You *always* have a full drive. Deleting the shows from the Recently Deleted folder does nothing other than unlink them from the folder. They're still on the drive, still in the filesystem.

Basically there used to be two states for a show:
1. Not yet deleted, linked in Now Playing.
2. Deleted, unlinked from Now Playing.

7.2.2 just added a new state.
1. Not yet deleted, linked in Now Playing.
2. Deleted, unlinked from Now Playing, linked to Recently Deleted
3. Deleted from Recently Deleted, unlinked from Recently Deleted

That's why when people get the upgrade shows deleted before the upgrade are already in the folder - it is just exposing stuff that was always there. (There were 3rd party hacks for undelete before too.)

The show never actual goes away until the space is needed and the unit reclaims it for a new recording. The actual logic for handling space hasn't changed.

So deleting them from the RD folder does nothing other than make them disappear from the list.

Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
TivoGeezer
Snow-ina-ear

Clutter? Jeez! Do you throw out everything immediately? It is one folder at the bottom of the list. Ignore it. How can this one little folder completely out of the list of normal items be clutter?

If you won't read my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, at least look at my pictures on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
or my
TivoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #6
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoGeezer
Clutter? Jeez! Do you throw out everything immediately? It is one folder at the bottom of the list. Ignore it. How can this one little folder completely out of the list of normal items be clutter?
If you don't want it and don't want to have to look at it, it's clutter.
"TiVo, TV your way." Why are you having such a difficult time with that concept?
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDKingdom
Deleting them from the RD folder does nothing other than make them disappear from the list.

That's the friggin' point. Nobody is saying that they want to eliminate all evidence of the existance of the recordings - atleast not in this thread - yet. They just don't want to have to look at what they've already deleted once.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #8
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

I can't imagine that the shows will stay in there that long. Unless you keep your Tivo completely empty. I never have more than a few shows in the RD folder and they usually disappear after a few hours.
Do you not have much in your now playing list?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I guess I have to say I would also prefer some kind of empty "deleted folders" option. I just like to keep my Tivo clean. I do not use suggestions either by the way. Half of what it downloads is of no interest to me. I also have over 330 hours of recording time, so as you can see my deleted folder will get really full before it starts deleting. I'd hate to have to scroll through 200 shows in order to find something I might have deleted by accident. If I had a standard 40 hour Tivo, this option would not be such a big deal.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk
I guess I have to say I would also prefer some kind of empty "deleted folders" option. I just like to keep my Tivo clean. I do not use suggestions either by the way. Half of what it downloads is of no interest to me. I also have over 330 hours of recording time, so as you can see my deleted folder will get really full before it starts deleting. I'd hate to have to scroll through 200 shows in order to find something I might have deleted by accident. If I had a standard 40 hour Tivo, this option would not be such a big deal.
Wow! I'm exactly the opposite. I never delete anything.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
dtreese

Complaining that this isn't "TV your way" is like complaining because Burger King's idea of "have it your way" doesn't include Catherine Zeta-Jones feeding your Whopper to you. This is added functionality & people are griping. There's no satisfying some folk.
dtreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtreese
...doesn't include Catherine Zeta-Jones feeding [you]...
Or George Clooney!
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #13
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

You'll find that shows will not stay in that folder for long, particularly if you have numerous recordings scheduled or Suggestions are enabled. Even if it is empty, the folder will still display (quantity listed as "0") in Now Playing.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #14
hitbyatrain
Your Hero

Quote:
Complaining that this isn't "TV your way" is like complaining because Burger King's idea of "have it your way" doesn't include Catherine Zeta-Jones feeding your Whopper to you. This is added functionality & people are griping. There's no satisfying some folk.
I would totally sign up for this, if TiVo offered it.

Get on it, TivoJerry.
hitbyatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Way ahead of you. I've already signed up for the CZ-J alpha testing (not to be confused with PB&J) but it's got a long waitlist.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #16
hitbyatrain
Your Hero

As long as I get to be on the priority list!
hitbyatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #17
murryamorris

Quote:
...I'd hate to have to scroll through 200 shows in order to find something I might have deleted by accident...
Exactly. I have almost 200 on one Tivo and finding the show I want to restore takes a while. I like the feature but haven't figured out if you can sort the list differently like you can now playing. My recently deleted folders list the oldest dates at the top but usually I want to restore something I've just deleted so have to page down a lot of pages to find the most recently deleted. I've searched but haven't seen anyone discuss if you can re-sort the deleted folder like the now playing. Does anyone know?
murryamorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #18
mick66
Dirty Burger

Quote:
How exactly is not wanting anything listed in the deleted recordings folder which is in fact achievable, comparable to wanting C J-Z to feed you a whopper? provided that she is not your wife or mother of course.

My statement was directed at tivogeezer for telling the OP to ignore the folder (i.e. telling the OP how to use his Tivo).
Old 04-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #19
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

what happens if you just hold down the Clear button? Kinda like holding a key on the keyboard repeats that key over and over....???

Scott B

Tivo 540 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime EC
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Lifetime SM
Tivo 240 S2 9.3.1 Monthly SW
Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK
mrjam2jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #20
ihatesms

i like it. if my dad missed 24 and i deleated it i could recover it for him.
ihatesms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #21
whirljack

clearing folder

I have to get accustomed to having a new folder on my screen but trust me, I went thru the trouble of deleting things one by one since I didn't want to see useless information in the folder. I do the same thing on my computer; if I throw something in the recycle bin, then I clear it straight away. Sorry if I sound OCD, but I've always been that way!
whirljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #22
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

I can help you with the computer....push/hold shift before delete....permanent deletion with no Recycle bin involved.... :-)

Scott B

Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK
Old 04-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #23
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
...Catherine Zeta-Jones feeding your Whopper to you.
I want one of those.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #24
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesms
i like it. if my dad missed 24 and i deleated it i could recover it for him.
Those Items don't stay there long, at least on my 80 hour unit.
180hr S2

Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #25
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

What gives them the right to add things to our systems without asking us first?
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #26
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer
Its a mixed bag with this stuff. Sometimes I like it (Recently deleted items) other times I wish they'd have an option to turn things off (Yahoo items in Music, Photos, Products, and More).

Overall the items they've added are good. MRV, HME, T2G.
180hr S2

Old 04-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #27
TiVo Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer
Read the TOS, particularly section 3.

I can't post URLs yet, so go to tivo dott comm (sorry for the extra letters, but they really make it hard for new posters to include a link) slash support & click Service Agreements under "Related Links" on the right side of the page, go click "TiVo Service Agreement".
TiVo Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:59 AM   #28
mrjam2jab
Still Learning

I watched a one hour show last nite...then deleted it. Immediately Scrolled down the NP list to my PC, which is below RD....and RD was already empty! And folks are worried about having to delete things twice?? :-P

Scott B

Tivo 649 S2D2 Monthly MK
Old 04-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #29
ebf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjam2jab
I watched a one hour show last nite...then deleted it. Immediately Scrolled down the NP list to my PC, which is below RD....and RD was already empty! And folks are worried about having to delete things twice?? :-P
Me too! I've NEVER seen anything in my RD folder. Even after deleting several shows within a couple minutes. My box is nearly always full. I keep meaning to check the living room box to see if it shows the same results.
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #30
Denise_Z

Quote:
I guess I have to say I would also prefer some kind of empty "deleted folders" option... I'd hate to have to scroll through 200 shows in order to find something I might have deleted by accident.
Excuse my ignorance (we got are machine just a day or two before the folder was added so we didn't have anything to delete when they did) but could you restore a deleted recording before the folder exisited? If not, it seems to me that the whole point of having the folder is so you could see what you have deleted in case you trashed something by mistake. If you deleted something before they came up with the recently deleted folder, where did you look to find recordings that you threw away by mistake?

As far as keeping the drive "clean" even emptying the trash (recycle bin for those of you unfortunate enough not to have a Mac) doesn't actualy delete the files. They are stilll on the drive until they are written over by something else, you just can't see them.
Denise_Z is offline   Reply With Quote