TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
F8ster
The Very Last One

NetFlix RSS Reader v1.40 Released

Download --- Screenshots --- User Guide

New in v1.40:
  • Converted to HME 1.4 and Bananas 1.3
  • Added Windows installer

If you're a current user, there is no need to upgrade; there's no new features. The main addition is the installer, which is long overdue. There's a dialog in the installer to help you enter your Netflix ID, which was a pain in previous versions. (It's still not perfect, but it's better.)

If you do have an older version, you should be able to safely update over top without needing to uninstall first.

Many thanks to gonzotek for the work on the installer.
F8ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Larry in TN

I just installed it and it's working great. The only problem is that it only lists the first three shipped DVDs. I'm on a four-out plan and the forth title is skipped. Can that be fixed?
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
F8ster
The Very Last One

That's odd...there is no hardcoded limit on that list -- if there's more items from the RSS feed than can be shown on the screen, that list on the left-hand side of the 'Recent Activity' screen should just be scrollable using up/down on your remote.

One thing I have noticed -- the RSS feeds are not always up to date or accurate. Go to http://www.netflix.com/RSSFeeds (you have to be logged into your NetFlix account first), then go down to the 'Personalized Feeds' section. See if there's any discrepancy between the data in the feeds on the web page vs. what you see in my app. Let me know -- Dave
Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #4
Larry in TN

Looking at the Netflix feed pages, the "Most Recent Rental Activity" feed only lists the last three shipped and last three returned. The "Movies at Home" feed lists all four titles that have been shipped.

I wonder why they've limited the "Most Recent" feed to three and three?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
F8ster
The Very Last One

Not sure, but I've noticed the feeds to be inaccurate for my own account on more than one occasion. I could probably add the 'Movies at Home' screen fairly easily -- I'll consider that for the next release. I think that particular feed's a relatively new addition.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Larry in TN

Well, the 'Movies at Home' feed would be very useful for me.

Thanks...
Old 03-29-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
tonyf3
Mac User since '84

What ever happened to the Netflix download on demand to TiVo deal. It was announced last year and nothing since. Vaporware?
2 SA Explorer 8000 DVR 160hr.
Linksys USB Adapters
Wired & Wireless Airport 802.11b
tonyf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #8
segaily

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyf3
What ever happened to the Netflix download on demand to TiVo deal. It was announced last year and nothing since. Vaporware?
I believe TiVo stated that Netflix was having a hard time getting needed licences from hollywood to allow this and that work on it was suspended until they could get the licences.
segaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in TN
Well, the 'Movies at Home' feed would be very useful for me.

Thanks...
I have now successfully added that screen, but I found a bug in the installer and couldn't get the release posted to my website before I had to leave town. I'll try and get it wrapped up this weekend. It'll be posted as version 1.50. I'll post an update here when it's ready to go. -- Dave
Old 03-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
F8ster
The Very Last One

Version 1.50 Released

Download --- Screenshots --- User Guide

New in v1.50:
  • Added 'Movies At Home' screen
  • Added missing public feed (Faith & Spirituality)
  • Fixed installer bug: add/remove Windows Firewall exception

Old 03-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #11
mr.cello

Question Stand alone?

Excuse my ignorance, but why is it necessary to have a PC running with the TiVo server on it to use the app (which sounds super cool by the way)? I would think since TiVo has a networking stack (and they have all those Internet enable services running on the box stand alone) that it should be possible to do the same thing with this app. Is there something in the HME architecture that stops stand alone network applications?
mr.cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cello
Excuse my ignorance, but why is it necessary to have a PC running with the TiVo server on it to use the app (which sounds super cool by the way)? I would think since TiVo has a networking stack (and they have all those Internet enable services running on the box stand alone) that it should be possible to do the same thing with this app. Is there something in the HME architecture that stops stand alone network applications?
Great question. HME supports two different models for applications (like mine, and like the Yahoo! apps) to be hosted -- either on a PC on the local network, or centrally, on some big server farm in the sky.

So, I could (in theory anyway) host my applications on my website (http://bitrazor.com), but this means that every instance of the app is hosted there. This means that in order to support lots of people, I'd have to have a reasonably scalable server farm. And, in my case, I pay for bandwidth -- http://bitrazor.com will do only 35GB of traffic per month for the rate I'm paying (and I already use half of that today in a typical month). So, if all 4.5 million TiVo subscribers decided to use my app, it'd kinda blow the budget quick.

So, technically it's possible, but financially it doesn't make sense for freebie-app writers like myself to centrally host. Yahoo can do it, but they've got more than enough server capacity and bandwidth to handle it.

Edit: I should probably clarify -- the TiVo box itself is not powerful enough to run the applications directly. The HME protocol is a low-level protocol that exchanges views, keystrokes, and events with some other host -- that host does all the hard work. This is the case with the Yahoo apps -- they might appear to be running on the TiVo, but they're actually not -- they run on Yahoo's servers, and your TiVo simply receives the "views" from those remote applications.

Last edited by F8ster : 03-31-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #13
Larry in TN

Thanks! I'll give the new version a try.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #14
santa8claws

Apps.TV

Have a look at the HME apps that are available through a centralized server:

http://www.apps.tv/

Maybe someone there could host the NetFlix RSS app or at least add it to the apps list?

Enjoy!

Last edited by santa8claws : 04-04-2006 at 10:03 AM.
santa8claws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 AM   #15
tai-pan

Too bad you can't add a movie to the queu. I tried. But it is showing all 5 of my movies.
tai-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:41 AM   #16
F8ster
The Very Last One

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa8claws
...or at least add it to the apps list?
Right now, the registry's only for centrally hosted apps, so I'm hesitant to fill out the form without that. I would be open to anyone willing to host NetFlix RSS Reader or TrafficCam Viewer (although the latter will generate much heavier traffic through the server due to the way images are handled in the current implementation).

It would be nice, though, if there were another page on that site for non-centrally-hosted apps. Something like http://hme.pvrblog.com, except not...down.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:28 PM   #17
mr.cello

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8ster
Great question. HME supports two different models for applications (like mine, and like the Yahoo! apps) to be hosted -- either on a PC on the local network, or centrally, on some big server farm in the sky.

Edit: I should probably clarify -- the TiVo box itself is not powerful enough to run the applications directly. The HME protocol is a low-level protocol that exchanges views, keystrokes, and events with some other host -- that host does all the hard work.
Thanks for the explanation I now have a much better idea how this stuff is architected. I didn't realize that the TiVo was so under powered...

240 @ 380 Hours
648 @ 90+ hours HD
652 @ 90+ hours HD
mr.cello is offline   Reply With Quote