TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
JohnQUser

Remote Desktop & TivoToGo

I have a Windows 2003 Server that I store Tivo shows on. However, when I try to connect to the server using Remote Desktop and try to view shows, it complains that the MAK is wrong. I'm using the correct MAK.

Any clues to what's going wrong? Anyone have problems with Remote Desktop and/or Windows Server?
JohnQUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Are you actually trying to watch the programs via Remote Desktop? Or just look at the list of programs in TiVo Desktop?

I've never had luck playing video via Remote Desktop. In fact it usually locks up the connection until the file is finished playing on the host computer.

If they wont even load into TiVo Desktop then it's probably Windows 2003. The official TiVo site says that the TiVoToGo enabled version of TiVo Desktop only runs on Windows 200 and XP, so there may be some incompatibility with 2003.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Stu_Bee

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do....
But one trick with Remote Desktop'ing to a windows2003 server....

on the shortcut for your Remote Desktop icon, but a "-console" in the command line.

Such as:
mstsc.exe -v:servername -console

This creates a zero-session to the server...some apps don't show properly unless you are zero-sessioned in. (ie you see what's on the server as if you were standing in front of it, rather than a virtual session)
===
If you trying to play video files, then you'll probably have problems like Dan said.
Stu_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
JohnQUser

My problem seems to be that the key doesn't work with a Remote Desktop session. The TiVo Desktop launches fine and I can see the list of movies I want to play but when I enter the MAK it says not authorized. The MAK matches my TiVo unit.

Just wondering if TiVo is being too clever and denying remote users. There are plenty of reasons why this is a bad idea anyway including slow video display but I want to understand what the issues might be.
JohnQUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Is there anyway you could hook a mouse, keyboard and monitor up to the server and see if it works from the box itself? That would tell you if it's a Win2003 problem or a Remote Desktop problem.

Personally I've used programs like DirectShow Dump, which use the same DirectShow filter and MAK as WMP, via Remote Desktop on XP and it worked fine. So I'm leaning toward it being a Win2003 problem.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote