TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #31
garynfla

No luck yet..........

I just got off the phone with TIVO and they said they had heard nothing of any Lifetime options.. I sure would like to get this done and buy my TIVO..

Fingers crossed
Gary
garynfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #32
NewYorkLaw

Does anyone really think the average (non-forum subscribing) member of the tivo community would be all that upset to learn their ability to upgrade to lifetime was lost? I suspect most people who were interested in lifetime subscriptions already have it. Some of us, becasue we got an advance warning, went out and upgraded or bought new machines and applied lifetimes in time.

What's unfair about that? I think we were lucky to get the advance warning! Why should tivo have to send notices to anyone, much less *every* unit?

Pete

Last edited by NewYorkLaw : 03-23-2006 at 09:15 AM.
NewYorkLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:32 PM   #33
dgh

Why do you consider us lucky and think the non-forum subscribers don't care?

Of course, if they don't care, then TiVo looses nothing by warning them and gains good will.
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #34
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkLaw
Does anyone really think the average (non-forum subscribing) member of the tivo community would be all that upset to learn their ability to upgrade to lifetime was lost? I suspect most people who were interested in lifetime subscriptions already have it. Some of us, becasue we got an advance, warning went out and upgraded or bought new machines and applied lifetimes in time.

What's unfair about that? I think we were lucky to get the advance warning! Why should tivo have to send notices to anyone, much less *every* unit?

Pete
Lucky?? But to consider current subscribers "lucky" to hear about a major pricing policy change is poor service.
Whether current subscribers are interested, would be potentially upset etc. is really not the point. Customers should be informed of any major policy changes. Also, keep in mind that many 1 yr or less subscribers were told they would have the option to upgrade to lifetime.

I was "lucky" as I was not a current TiVo subscriber, and was able to make a purchase before the cutoff date.
S3 250gb LT 10/15/07
Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #35
timckelley
TCFer

I haven't been home today. Are there any messages on anybody's TiVo's informing them of this major policy/pricing change?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #36
dcler

I am totally new to TIVO, so would like to get a confirmation from you.
Could I just buy one of the TIVO box from place like Compusa, and call up TIVO customer support to get lifetime, for free? Thanks
dcler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #37
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcler
I am totally new to TIVO, so would like to get a confirmation from you.
Could I just buy one of the TIVO box from place like Compusa, and call up TIVO customer support to get lifetime, for free? Thanks
Can you get lifetime on a new box? Yes, until 4/15.
For free? Sure, if you consider letting Tivo charge your credit card $299 "free".
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #38
ckelly33

Someone mentioned here buying a Lifetime gift card. Can you still do that?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #39
dgh

Define "can". Stores were supposed to have pulled them off the shelves but some didn't. Most of the ones that didn't have probably been picked over pretty well by now but give it a shot!

There are also a bunch on ebay at well over retail - but maybe still a relative bargain.
dgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:02 PM   #40
filburt1
Custom User Title:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33
Technically, yes, but you won't find a single Best Buy in your entire state that has them. Literally.
filburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #41
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by filburt1
Technically, yes, but you won't find a single Best Buy in your entire state that has them. Literally.
And odds are that any stray cards that were at regional warehouses or in stores have been pulled from active stock this week.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #42
filburt1
Custom User Title:

Well, here's hoping part of that is not correct. Wink wink.

But yes, there is a 99% chance they won't have them, especially this late in the game. Not only did they have low stock levels to begin with, but they've been instructed to pull them, or so the legends go.
filburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #43
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33
But since you can get lifetime on an existing Series 2 until 4/15, I wouldn't use a lifetime gift card on anything other than a Series 3 box ...
Old 03-23-2006, 01:39 AM   #44
hi-nrg-joe

Quote:
I suspect most people who were interested in lifetime subscriptions already have it. Some of us, becasue we got an advance, warning went out and upgraded or bought new machines and applied lifetimes in time.

Pete

Exactly.......
hi-nrg-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #45
infiniti310

Extend the services...is there a need to hurry in?

since I got in by the March 15th scare....(Lifetime Subscriptions are going away)...will my Lifetime subscription be extended to say,....Lifetime, Plus a Month?

Is the "DEADLINE" going to be 'extended' again?

Feeling duped like Oprah here...

When is the scambo going to end?
infiniti310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #46
NewYorkLaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniti310
since I got in by the March 15th scare....(Lifetime Subscriptions are going away)...will my Lifetime subscription be extended to say,....Lifetime, Plus a Month?...
Lifetime plus a month, but only if you were a current Tivo customer at the time of the first notice and your qualifying tivo device was in use at the time, and provided you notify tivo of your intent to utilize that month at least a month before the unit stops working.

Pete
NewYorkLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #47
gulfstrum

Question Confused as usual

From reading this thread I thought that I could still purchase a new box and get lifetime until 4/15?????

Called Tivo three times and spoke to a supervisor- they said only boxes purchased prior to 3/15 are eligible.

What is the real story?
gulfstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #48
classicsat
Astute User

Existing Lifetime subs should stay that way. Only the option to purchase Lifetime is going away, and as it seems, they extended that a month.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #49
gulfstrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
Existing Lifetime subs should stay that way. Only the option to purchase Lifetime is going away, and as it seems, they extended that a month.

They confirmed that they extended it a month - however they say you must have purchased the retail box before 3/15 to get the lifetime.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #50
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Lifetime plus a month, but only if you were a current Tivo customer at the time of the first notice and your qualifying tivo device was in use at the time, and provided you notify tivo of your intent to utilize that month at least a month before the unit stops working.

Pete
Can we get Title Insurance on our Lifetime units?
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #51
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstrum
They confirmed that they extended it a month - however they say you must have purchased the retail box before 3/15 to get the lifetime.
Where are the Banghead and Puke emoticons when you need 'em.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #52
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi gulfstrum, I'm sorry you're still having difficulty.

All agents should now be trained on the policy. Here is the relevant portion of the Knowledge Base article:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KB code 39-10-08 (for current monthly customers who want to switch to Product Lifetime):

Product Lifetime Service is no longer available after March 17, 2006. We will allow current monthly subscribers to change their Payment Plan to Product Lifetime Service until April 15, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KB code 39-10-05 (for new customers):

Product Lifetime Service is no longer available beginning March 17, 2006. [...]

Customers wanting to purchase Product Lifetime Service can do so before April 15, 2006. Use the procedure below to activate Product Lifetime Service.
If you have any trouble, please have the agent reference these articles, or ask to speak to a supervisor.

Best regards,
Stephen

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #53
gulfstrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr

All agents should now be trained on the policy. Here is the relevant portion of the Knowledge Base article:

If you have any trouble, please have the agent reference these articles, or ask to speak to a supervisor.

Best regards,
Stephen
So I can purchase a Series 2 Tivo today at Compusa - refer to KB article 39-10-05 and get lifetime service? I did ask to speak to a supervisor and was informed I couldn't. I will give it a try and thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #54
Sirshagg

Quote:

Best regards,
Stephen
Cool. Hit em with their own KB article - yep, that ought to do it.
Sirshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #55
Luv2BeLDS97
DirecTiVo Luvr.. j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
We appreciate the feedback and apologize if some of our agents are providing inaccurate information.

We know that there have been retail advertisements which refer to product lifetime, and there have been requests here for a longer opportunity to purchase lifetime before it's discontinued. As a result, we have decided to offer product lifetime as a subscription option through 4/15/06, even for those that have purchased since 3/15 (you do have to call to activate lifetime service though, and lifetime is not applicable for systems purchased via a bundle plan).

Our customer service team is being updated today, so please wait until later today or tomorrow and call back once the message has been delivered to all the agents.

Cheers,
Pony

PERFECT!! See this is the kind of thing that makes me stay with TiVo.. now I just need to get paid And when the Series 3 box comes out... I will buy that and I will be set!
Luv2BeLDS97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #56
dcler

Ok. I called TIVO customer support and got the answer: you can buy a TIVO box like the series 2 from a retail store for whatever it cost there and activate TIVO life time before 4/15 for an activation fee of $299. You could get $150 rebate on the box with activation. Please reply if you got a different result.
dcler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #57
gulfstrum

Quote:

Best regards,
Stephen

I finally have everything straight - Thanks so much Stephen - I called and the representative said they had all been updated and all is good.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #58
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
KB code 39-10-05 (for new customers):

Product Lifetime Service is no longer available beginning March 17, 2006. [...]

Customers wanting to purchase Product Lifetime Service can do so before April 15, 2006. Use the procedure below to activate Product Lifetime Service.
This sounds sort of conflicting. On the one had it said you can't get it on or after 3-17-2006. But then it goes on to say you can get it as late as 4-14-2006. I wish it was worded more clearly.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #59
tony2tru

Time for a 2nd Tivo Box

I've always put off a second Tivo box in the bedroom. But now I'm going to pick up the 80-hour this week as my primary box in the living room (since they extended lifetime) and have the old 40 hour box in the bedroom as a second box. I've had my box for 3 years and have fears of it going bad on me!!!

I'm glad they got this all resolved!

Tony
tony2tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #60
FTLOSM

Question

Ok what am I doing wrong (or maybe I don't understand), I have a series 1 with lifetime love it, Nov 04 I bought a Series 2 Humax with dvd recorder, put it on as secondary box month to month (wasn't sure if i would like the series 2 or dvd burner).

Ok ready to upgrade the series 2 unit to lifetime, called was told I can't because "That option has expired for me on this unit."

Can someone explain how this works then? When I bought that series 2 box and did monthly I didn't get any special rebates or join in on any "plan" where you pay a years worth to get a discount or anything, I just straight walked in and bought it, as for "bundles"you guys speak of here, I don't even know what that would be unless you mean tivo with dvd burner??? But when I bought it I didn't buy any other piece of equipment if that is what Bundle means...

Am I understanding this thread correctly that I should still be able to pay for lifetime on my series 2 humax dvd burner tivo if i call in before 4-15 and pay $299?

If so give me the name and number of the operator who knows what they are talking about cuz the girl I talked to was VERY snippy saying that option had expired for me.

I don't want to seem like a totaly Jerko for calling back and fighting on this, heck it could be me misunderstanding something - just looking for clarification....
FTLOSM is offline   Reply With Quote