TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2006, 11:36 AM   #121
MEngland

a LT unit needs to call in at least once every six months to remain "Active" and qualify other units in the household for MSD. Let your LT unit call in.

Also - please move this discussion to another thread. It's not about the new pricing plans.
S2 DT, 560h (Seagate 500) Lifetime
MEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #122
bigjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEngland
a LT unit needs to call in at least once every six months to remain "Active" and qualify other units in the household for MSD. Let your LT unit call in.

Also - please move this discussion to another thread. It's not about the new pricing plans.
It is if the first post says you'll continue to pay $6.95 for MSD and then all of a sudden you stop paying that.
RCA DVR-40
Sony SVR-2000 "Little" 118hr/TurboNet
Sony SVR-2000 "Big" 193hr/TurboNet
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #123
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by irecords
I hope they have a good business plan in place, because they will need it, to compete against these goliaths, who clearly don't care about innovation as much as tivo does.

Geez - I should be working in the tivo pr department. lol

Let me know what you all think about my suggestions
seems like TiVo does not need your suggestions and is beating Goliath no problems.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #124
MEngland

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
It is if the first post says you'll continue to pay $6.95 for MSD and then all of a sudden you stop paying that.
Actually, this change in his billing has nothing to do with the new pricing plans. The old (non-bundled) pricing provided for a MSD price of $6.95 if you had a qualifying box on monthly or Lifetime. If the qualifying box was on Lifetime, it needed to call in at least once every six months to remain active and allow you to get the MSD price on the other boxes. This is not associated with the new Bundled Pricing.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #125
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

So, "you have until 4/15/2006" to lifetime your units means until the end of the 14th? Apparently that's their first tier answer today. What a crock!

Can you say "nickel and dime"? I knew you could. Either it's deliberately misleading so they can convince a few people today that it's no longer available who would otherwise get it, or it's bad business in poorly wording the exception (which was bad management leading to bad business in the first place).

Of course, the supervisor allowed the exception. How could he not?

Yes, I could have done it before, I know. So what?

They could just allow "until the 15th" to mean what at least half of the folks out there are going to think it means and leave it at that.

Congrats on not litigating yourselves out of business, though. So far.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #126
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
Can you say "nickel and dime"? I knew you could.
Can you say "chip on shoulder?" I knew you could.
How about "paranoid?" Sure you can.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #127
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
Can you say "disappointed"?

Can you say "mismanagement"?

Or do you prefer "rose colored glasses"? I knew you did.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #128
MEngland

Can you say... No Problem

I am on the phone with TiVo right now, and I have done one other LT upgrade last week. In the current call, I told the agent what I wanted and she told me that there would be no problem. Lifetime upgrades currently require a case to be opened and it takes abot 5 minutes for the agent to do this, but that's all it takes.

My Lifetime order is now confirmed (4/15/06; 10:50a PDT). I know from last week's upgrade that it takes about 5-7 days for the status on my account to change.

I think I read somewhere that you have until 8:00pm PDT on 4/15 get Lifetime on existing boxes.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #129
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Can you say... No Problem

I am on the phone with TiVo right now, and I have done one other LT upgrade last week. In the current call, I told the agent what I wanted and she told me that there would be no problem. Lifetime upgrades currently require a case to be opened and it takes abot 5 minutes for the agent to do this, but that's all it takes.

My Lifetime order is now confirmed (4/15/06; 10:50a PDT). I know from last week's upgrade that it takes about 5-7 days for the status on my account to change.

I think I read somewhere that you have until 8:00pm PDT on 4/15 get Lifetime on existing boxes.
Had "no problem" been the first guy's response, I'd see no problem.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #130
ChuckyBox

Quote:

Quote:
Repeat as necessary.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #131
tazzftw

I like how people wait until the 15th to call just to see what they mean by "the 15th" and thus find something else to complain about.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #132
murphy54

thanks man for all of it !
Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #133
jfh3

Quote:

Or do you prefer "rose colored glasses"? I knew you did.
OK, how about:

Can you say over-reaction?

One CSR didn't read the memo. Jeez.

It's pretty clear from NUMEROUS posts by TivoOpsMgr and TivoPony that the deadline is 8pm Pacific Daylight Time tonight.

Why did you wait until the last minute anyway? Were you just waiting to trip up a CSR and bitch?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #134
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

Not to throw a wrench into everyone's discussion, but TiVO's announcement has a flaw. Having until 4/15/06 means that it ends at the beginning of 4/15/06. However, look at the quote below. AFTER 4/15/06, this option is no longer available. This means that it IS available ON 4/15/06. Not to be picky, and I'm not a lawyer, but when people write rules, laws, contracts....they should be very sure what they mean.

You have until 4/15/06 to call and activate Product Lifetime service on any DVR except DVRs purchased via one of the new bundled pricing options (see below). Activating Product Lifetime Service is not available online; you must call TiVo Customer Support (1-877-367-8486) in order to activate Product Lifetime service. After 4/15/06, this option is no longer available.
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 PM   #135
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, they should say you can order lifetime service for any DVR until 8pm PT on 4/15/2006.

Oh wait...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3948368

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #136
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Can you say over-reaction?
One CSR didn't read the memo. Jeez.
Either there's more than one, or the editor of PC World got the same one...
http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/001862.html
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #137
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Either there's more than one, or the editor of PC World got the same one...
http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/001862.html

Absolutely amazing the lengths to which some writers will go to slam Tivo.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #138
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Absolutely amazing the lengths to which some writers will go to slam Tivo.
What isn't at all amazing, in fact it's downright ordinary, or even sub-par, is how easy TiVo is making it to do so. Very simple things they're just getting completely wrong. The earliest obvious evidence I can think of is the first rebates years ago. How horrible was that? And time after time since, some really dumb mistakes.

I'm thankful they're still around. I love their service. But I can no longer say I have confidence they will be around in the future.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:58 PM   #139
ChuckyBox

Loophole?

I realize that this is entirely on-topic, and therefore has become passe in this thread, but this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr
  • Due to the terms of our relationship with Humax, however, new Humax DVD Recorder products (DRT400/800/2000) not previously activated for service (that is, they have no activation history) will continue to be eligible for Product Lifetime service activation. [ ... ]
plus this:
Quote:
Q. Can I transfer my Product Lifetime service contract to new hardware?

A. For Product Lifetime, the answer is no, just like today. This isn't really part of our announcement and the rules haven't changed, but since this is a frequently asked question I'm including it here. Product Lifetime is always tied to the specific box that you activated, as defined in the terms of the Product Lifetime Description: http://www.tivo.com/0.4.asp

There are only four exceptions:
  1. 30-day money back guarantee: During the first 30 days after you activate your Product Lifetime service, you can transfer freely from one unit to another.
[ ... ]
seems to provide a way to get product lifetime on any TiVo box as long both of these clauses remain in force.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #140
jfh3

Quote:
seems to provide a way to get product lifetime on any TiVo box as long both of these clauses remain in force.
Except I thought the transfer to another box within 30 days is clarified somewhere to mean that it had to be a box of the same type (e.g. Humax DVD to Humax DVD or Series 2 to Series 2)
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #141
MEngland

Quote:
I realize that this is entirely on-topic, and therefore has become passe in this thread, but this: <some links here> seems to provide a way to get product lifetime on any TiVo box as long both of these clauses remain in force.
I asked this a while back:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=291463

Never did get a definitive reply, though if the Humax loophole remains in force for a while, it might be something to try after S3 is released. I am surprised that no one from TiVo every clarified that these 30-day transfers are only between like machines. The absence of a NO makes me think this could be possible.

How much is LT on a Humax? Is it still $299? Just because TiVo is obligated to offer Lifetime, does not mean that the price cannot be increased.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #142
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Patrick (ThreeSoFar), sorry you had trouble on Saturday. I can see from the records that most customers had no issue. But just to let you know, even though you spoke to an agent who was misinformed, we would have worked with you to make sure you received your Product Lifetime even after the deadline.

I will separately contact the PC World author who had trouble.

All of our agents did receive training and multiple memoes about 8pm on Saturday being the cutoff. When you have hundreds of agents, it's an unfortunate fact of life that some agents will make a mistake from time to time. We apologize that you ran into an agent who made a mistake.

If ever an agent makes a mistake, we will do whatever is necessary to make it right.

Patrick, I know you're very disappointed in TiVo lately. I hope we can reverse your opinion. We're here for the long haul. You know how to reach me if I can help you directly.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #143
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Quote:
I asked this a while back:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=291463

Never did get a definitive reply, though if the Humax loophole remains in force for a while, it might be something to try after S3 is released. I am surprised that no one from TiVo every clarified that these 30-day transfers are only between like machines. The absence of a NO makes me think this could be possible.

How much is LT on a Humax? Is it still $299? Just because TiVo is obligated to offer Lifetime, does not mean that the price cannot be increased.
I just updated that other thread. You're right. After 5/16, new Humax DVD-R product lifetime contracts can only be transferred to other Humax DVD-R units.

Old 04-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #144
ChuckyBox

Quote:
So you did. And I responded in that thread. Then later I came up with the idea on my own. Now I wonder if all of my clever ideas have similar origins. Did you ever post a message about inventing a box with a hard drive that can be used to record TV?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #145
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I just updated that other thread. You're right. After 5/16, new Humax DVD-R product lifetime contracts can only be transferred to other Humax DVD-R units.
I suppose that means we see Series 3 units hit the shelves on 5/17...

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #146
Dan203
Super Moderator

No, but we could see the new Series 2 DT units on 5/17. Although I'm hoping for sooner.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #147
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Don't read anything into that date other than it's 30 days after Product Lifetime is no longer available via the call center or online.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #148
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Don't read anything into that date other than it's 30 days after Product Lifetime is no longer available via the call center or online.
But I'm right about the Humax thing, aren't I? A person could buy one on, say, 5/14 and lifetime it, then transfer the lifetime subscription to, say, the new Series 2 DT that you are announcing tomorrow, then return the Humax box.

You need to change the Humax-to-non-Humax lifetime transfer date to today, me thinks.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:18 PM   #149
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Well, we can't change our system today, but thanks for the heads-up! I'll watch for people trying to take advantage of that loophole and make sure it's not abused.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #150
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Well, we can't change our system today, but thanks for the heads-up! I'll watch for people trying to take advantage of that loophole and make sure it's not abused.
When am I going to learn to keep my mouth shut? I'm like a frikin' dog with a bone.