TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #91
ScubaCat3

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Hi MEngland, yes, it's valid.

Technically, BestBuy should not be selling them. They were instructed not to.

Heh - I just grabbed the last 4 yesterday from my local best buy store. Found them by digging through the stack they had up by the register. I guess they missed those when pulling them off the shelves. Now all I need is a Series 3!
ScubaCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #92
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCat3
Heh - I just grabbed the last 4 yesterday from my local best buy store. Found them by digging through the stack they had up by the register. I guess they missed those when pulling them off the shelves. Now all I need is a Series 3!
Wow. Nicely done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #93
Rottluver

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder if those would work for DTV Tivos too........
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #94
ScubaCat3

Nope - that's the only specific exclusion printed on the back. That's because DirecTV Tivo's are handled exclusively by DirecTV, not by Tivo.
ScubaCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:53 PM   #95
kdeanda

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Any non-bundled unit until 4/15.
A few days later, but confirming this is the case; just got my antique SVR-2000 upgraded to Lifetime.
There remained a little confusion on the part of the 1st level CSR I spoke to, he still thought only pre-3/17 retail purchased new systems were eligible, but would escalate it and that I should expect a supervisor to call me within a week.
About an hour later I was called back to confirm the change.... and was I really sure I wanted to do this for such an old unit. Yes, I was sure, and he said he would forward the request to accounting.
That was Wednsday early evening... today I noticed the account status on the system had changed to Lifetime. Yay!
kdeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #96
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Actually, yes. The revised original post answers it quite well.

If you are paying $12.95 per month now, you can upgrade to lifetime between now and 4/15. After that, no can do.

YES! I called today before I even saw this post. The Tivo rep said it was possible to upgrade to lifetime before 4/15/06. He also confirmed that my monthly rate would remain $12.95 after my 1st year if I didn't upgrade. But best of all, I am under a 12 month gift card which only 3 months have been used. The rep said, and confirmed with someone else there, that if I upgraded to a lifetime plan before 4/16/06 that I could use the balance of my 12 month gift supscription (currently $116.55) toward the purchase of my $299 lifetime subscription. Now I need to find $182.45 fast!
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #97
Bytez

what happens to the lifetime subscription if the tivo associated with the subscription, breaks? Could I transfer the subscription to another tivo box?
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #98
Jasoco

No.
Jasoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:20 PM   #99
timckelley
TCFer

I thinking that maybe a side effect of the cutting off of lifetime is that over time, as a larger and larger percentage of people are on monthly instead of lifetime, there will be less incentive to repair broken TiVos, and more people will just replace them with a new one.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #100
Rottluver

Quote:
Nope - that's the only specific exclusion printed on the back. That's because DirecTV Tivo's are handled exclusively by DirecTV, not by Tivo.
That figures but it's ok, I have LT on all 3 of mine already.
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #101
Narf54321

Legal troubles ahead?

So, there I was coming back from a school field trip with my kid and we happened to stop in at a Target store. Sitting on the shelf was a familiar orange Tivo box, and I happened to read the box print:

"The TiVo service is easy to activate and is available for a low monthly fee or a one-time product lifetime subscription. [yada yada]"

So, this leads me to thinking since it hasn't been sold nor recalled from the shelf -- Anyone buying this TiVo unit based upon the box instructions would certainly expect to be able to purchase lifetime service.

I think TiVo had better start printing up a bunch of new boxes and recalling store units before the (new) Lifetime cutoff deadline.
Narf54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #102
timckelley
TCFer

If somebody bought the box and couldn't lifetime it, I'd think they wouldn't have much trouble getting a 100% refund.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 03-27-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #103
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Narf, for many many months now our cartons have not included that Product Lifetime language. Older boxes do mention it but not by price. While small numbers of those old cartons are available at retail, they're getting hard to find. We will still honor Product Lifetime if you call through April 15.

Best regards,
Stephen

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #104
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Hey, the Win TiVo page still advertises the prize as a Series 2 with Lifetime. I'll keep entering. What the heck, right?

Wonder if it will convert to S3 when they are ready........

http://www.tivo.com/0.1.asp
Old 03-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #105
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb
Hey, the Win TiVo page still advertises the prize as a Series 2 with Lifetime. I'll keep entering. What the heck, right?

Wonder if it will convert to S3 when they are ready........

Thanks, I just entered it too. It'd be nice to win another lifetime sub + box. Hopefully they live up to their promise.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #106
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb
Wonder if it will convert to S3 when they are ready.
Maybe, but even if it doesn't it'll probably still switch to one of those new dual tuner S2 units which still sound pretty cool.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #107
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb

This is correct. We began that promotion before the Product Lifetime option was removed, and we will not change that promotion for the time being. We will of course honor the Product Lifetime prize for the winner here.

After April 15, this will be one of a very few methods of getting Product Lifetime.

Best regards,
Stephen

Old 04-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #108
irecords

Hi folks!

I love my tivo so much. I must admit some disappointment in tivo's new pricing plans and strategy's. It seems like a last ditch effort to avoid going bankrupt, and not beneficial to the customers, who have brought them to this point.

They clearly have the best service, the best hardware, and are extremly innovative, which alone should count for enough. I knew when i saw the new pricing that the fear, uncertainty and doubt that others were spreading about tivo is true, that theyr'e business model is not strong enough to keep them in business for the foreseeable future, so they must force people into commitments in order to stay in business

I certainly won't buy another tivo when mines breaks, because I'm not going to have to pay monthly fees to use something, that should be able to get a lifetime subscription too. I most likely will consider a windows media pc or a new apple invention, when on the market But, i will certainly miss my tivo.
irecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #109
aaronwt
HD Addict

It won't be as good as the TiVo software.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #110
MikeMar
Go Pats

Just think of it like cable or your cell phone or internet, you have to pay a monthly service for these don't you. I don't see any lifetime cell, internet, or cable plans?

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:49 AM   #111
krbagman

I purchased a Series 2 80 hour Tivo from Best Buy in early late January of this year (still waiting for the $150 rebate). I am paying $12.95 for monthly service. Should I jump on the lifetime service for $299 (not sure of price) before it ends April 15th? Do I even have any options at this point?

You guys who understand all this can you help? I have Dish Network and don't plan on upgrading to the new Tivo when it comes out. I am very happy with the Series 2 system as it is and will continue to use it as long as my system is usable, replacing a hard-drive as needed.

Any advice??

Ken
krbagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #112
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbagman
Any advice??

Ken
I could swear I've seen this post on two other threads.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #113
ChuckyBox

Quote:
  • You have until 4/15/06 to call and activate Product Lifetime service on any DVR except DVRs purchased via one of the new bundled pricing options (see below). [ ... ]
"[A]ny DVR"? So if I get a Moxi box from Charter, you guys will provide lifetime service for it? Cool.

Maybe you want to rephrase that just slightly.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #114
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
"[A]ny DVR"? So if I get a Moxi box from Charter, you guys will provide lifetime service for it? Cool.

Maybe you want to rephrase that just slightly.
No, they stand by that phrasing.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 04-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #115
nanchan107

Pioneer DVR Lifetime Option

Will the new pricing affect the Pioneer DVR-810H-S which comes with Lifetime Basic service. I have seen tons of this at store and they have not yet been recalled.

Thanks in advance for the reply.
nanchan107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #116
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Basic service is not affected. (That's not really Product Lifetime, that's just a feature built in to the box.)

Old 04-12-2006, 05:58 AM   #117
irecords

Wink Monthly Subscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar
Just think of it like cable or your cell phone or internet, you have to pay a monthly service for these don't you. I don't see any lifetime cell, internet, or cable plans?
Why should we have to pay for another monthly service? Windows Media Pcs, and eventually apple and too many companies are offering free services, so Tivo will really have to raise the bar on featues in order to compete or be relevant in the next two years.

I hope they have a good business plan in place, because they will need it, to compete against these goliaths, who clearly don't care about innovation as much as tivo does.

Now don't get me wrong I hate uncle bill, and certainly don't want his crummy pc running in my living room What other option is tivo giving its loyal customers and customers who love their service, it seems like no choices at all.

Plus if you terminate your contract early you have to pay fees, that sounds more like a cell phone company then a service provider.

Some Good Suggestions for tivo:
Tivo Lite - $5 a month /Basic Service month-to month contract like Cingular with no disconnection fees.

Tivo Enhanced - $10 a month /more features such as tivo to go, home media option, and some souped up features to make it attractive. One year commitment minimum, and no early termination is allowed.

Tivo Extreme - $13 a month (stop the 12.95 crap, like were all dumb and dont know its 13 dollars). All the above features plus ability to transfer the service to another dvr, and license to use on two tivos. One year commitment paid upfront, no early termination is allowed.

Geez - I should be working in the tivo pr department. lol

Let me know what you all think about my suggestions
irecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #118
MEngland

Quote:
This is NOT a discussion thread. If you have comments or opinions or general questions, please post in one of the other threads.
It would probably be good to keep this thread focused on clarifications to the published plans, rather than turning it into another series of "TiVo shoulda..." posts.
S2 DT, 560h (Seagate 500) Lifetime
MEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #119
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by irecords
Let me know what you all think about my suggestions
I think you should stop making them.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:24 AM   #120
bigjohn

I guess I've lost my multiple unit discount. Nothing has changed in my Tivo world, still have 2 SVR2000's with lifetime subs (they haven't checked in in awhile, could that be the problem?), still have two RS-TX20's with monthly subs.

Billed Apr 10, 2006 TiVo Monthly Service $12.95 $0.00 $12.95
Settled Apr 10, 2006 Charged to: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX $12.95 $0.00 ($12.95)
Billed Mar 10, 2006 TiVo Monthly Service $6.95 $0.00 $6.95
Settled Mar 10, 2006 Charged to: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX $6.95 $0.00 ($6.95)
Billed Feb 10, 2006 TiVo Monthly Service $6.95 $0.00 $6.95
Settled Feb 10, 2006 Charged to: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX $6.95 $0.00 ($6.95)
RCA DVR-40
Sony SVR-2000 "Little" 118hr/TurboNet
Sony SVR-2000 "Big" 193hr/TurboNet
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote