TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #61
coletown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115
I'm a little confused.

If you buy a bundled package,

1 Year at $19.95=$239.40, then two years at $12.95=310.80, for a 3 year total of $550.20.

3 years at 16.95=610.20..

Why on earth would I pay 60 more to be committed for 3 years? Seems like it should be cheaper in the long run if you're willing to commit to 3 years...
A Three Year original commitment extends the Limited Warranty parts coverage on the product from 90 days to a full three years. A One Year + Two Year Service-Only approach does not extend the warranty beyond the first year. There is some value to the extended warranty. And the $60 cash-over-time difference is diminished when considering Present Value of the future revenue streams.

I think the bulk of posts regarding a 30-day grace period for Lifetime registration is clear that such period relates to recently purchased machines only (i.e. those never subscribed to TiVo service) and does not include existing machines on prepaid or monthly service.
coletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #62
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Folks, apologies if any of you have difficulty getting Product Lifetime with customer support. We've made sure to train them on the policy because there was some confusion earlier. If you had difficulty before, please try again.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #63
kdeanda

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Folks, apologies if any of you have difficulty getting Product Lifetime with customer support. We've made sure to train them on the policy because there was some confusion earlier. If you had difficulty before, please try again.

Best regards,
Stephen
Still no luck here, as of 14:00 PST. The first level CSR immediately and politely forwarded me to the next level, where an irritable rep informed me that she was aware of this post, but that lifetime was discontinued and not going to be made available.
kdeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #64
timckelley
TCFer

Wow. Something doesn't smell right. Wow.

I'm not 100% convinced whether this extension ethically needs to be granted or not, but I would think CSR ought to be on the same page as each other. Especially this many days into this thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #65
MEngland

Quote:
Is there any way to get Product Lifetime right now? Yes. There are a few ways to get Product Lifetime even now:
  • If you already possess a Product Lifetime gift certificate or gift card, you may call Customer Support to activate Product Lifetime using your gift certificate or gift card (but note that these are no longer for sale and have not been offered for several months, so if you don't own already, you won't be able to get one).
TiVoOpsMgr,

When do you need to "already possess" the gift card? Your post with on 3/9. Just yesterday (3/18), I found and purchased (activated) a lifetime card at Best Buy (it was in the back of the 3-month stack). Is this card valid for a LIfetime sub? It seems like it should be since it activated at the register and they happily took my $300
S2 DT, 560h (Seagate 500) Lifetime
MEngland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:07 AM   #66
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi MEngland, yes, it's valid.

Technically, BestBuy should not be selling them. They were instructed not to.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:01 AM   #67
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeanda
Still no luck here, as of 14:00 PST. The first level CSR immediately and politely forwarded me to the next level, where an irritable rep informed me that she was aware of this post, but that lifetime was discontinued and not going to be made available.
I activated online with the 1-year certificate first and then called TiVo. I was on the phone roughly from 13:20-14:20 PST. Reaching the first level CSR was less than 5 minutes, but I was on hold for the supervisor for about 40 minutes!!! Fortunately a case was generated for the TiVo accounting department, but it sounded like she was not sure about the requirement and had to get approval from yet another person first. The call took much longer than I expected.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #68
nrnble

Quote:
Originally Posted by John494900
so anyone who pays monthly wouldn't pay $16.95/mo for 3 years ($610.20) over $19.95/mo for 1 year ($239.40) and 2 years at $12.95/mo ($310.80) = $550.20 right?
obviously prepaid is the way to go, but for us monthly people, one year sounds way better. why have the options to pay more?
I did the exactly the same calculation. 1 year is the cheapest option over 3 years (no prepay). The only reason I can think that a person would select the 3 or 2 year month-to-month option is because they pay less per month (month-to-month). A lot of people do this when leasing a car, all they think about is how much they pay per month. They don't care how much it costs them in the long run. They might pay thousands more for the car, but pay almost nothing upfront (they don't have it, and are already over extended).

Of course going with the 3 year prepay option is the best right? $469.00. Basically the same as service-only month to month pricing if you pay upfront.
nrnble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:47 AM   #69
PeteEMT
NF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
Wow. Something doesn't smell right. Wow.

I'm not 100% convinced whether this extension ethically needs to be granted or not, but I would think CSR ought to be on the same page as each other. Especially this many days into this thing.
I'd say now that it's been ststed, ethically they need to keep their word.

May is Neurofibromatosis Awareness Month

PeteEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #70
dlgardne

HUMAX still has lifetime?

Do I understand correctly If I buy a new HUMAX DRT 800 I can still by lifetime for it?

Thanks
dlgardne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #71
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgardne
Do I understand correctly If I buy a new HUMAX DRT 800 I can still by lifetime for it?

Thanks
Yes; The FAQ on the subject is rather clear...

Quote:
Due to the terms of our relationship with Humax, however, new Humax DVD Recorder products (DRT400/800/2000) not previously activated for service (that is, they have no activation history) will continue to be eligible for Product Lifetime service activation. They are not affected by the 3/16/06 purchase cutoff or the 4/15/06 Product Lifetime activation cutoff. Again, you must call TiVo Customer Support in order to activate Product Lifetime service. Humax DVD Recorder products which have already been activated for service have until 4/15/06 to upgrade to Product Lifetime service. After 4/15/06, Humax DVD Recorder products with an activation history will no longer have Product Lifetime service as an activation option.
The main thing to bear in mind is after 4/15/2006 you can only get lifetime service on the unit if the unit has not previously been activated.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #72
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

A few people here have reported that when they called to upgrade to Product Lifetime Service they were told that wasn't possible anymore. We appreciate the feedback and apologize if some of our agents are providing inaccurate information.

We know that there have been retail advertisements which refer to product lifetime, and there have been requests here for a longer opportunity to purchase lifetime before it's discontinued. As a result, we have decided to offer product lifetime as a subscription option through 4/15/06, even for those that have purchased since 3/15 (you do have to call to activate lifetime service though, and lifetime is not applicable for systems purchased via a bundle plan).

Our customer service team is being updated today, so please wait until later today or tomorrow and call back once the message has been delivered to all the agents.

Cheers,
Pony
Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #73
kdeanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
We know that there have been retail advertisements which refer to product lifetime, and there have been requests here for a longer opportunity to purchase lifetime before it's discontinued. As a result, we have decided to offer product lifetime as a subscription option through 4/15/06, even for those that have purchased since 3/15 (you do have to call to activate lifetime service though, and lifetime is not applicable for systems purchased via a bundle plan).
Well, this is cheerful news!
A clarifying question though, what conditions exactly qualify one for the 4/15 Lifetime deadline? Any non-bundled unit, or just those with no activation history (new and NOS)?
kdeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #74
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeanda
Well, this is cheerful news!
A clarifying question though, what conditions exactly qualify one for the 4/15 Lifetime deadline? Any non-bundled unit, or just those with no activation history (new and NOS)?
Any non-bundled unit until 4/15.

After 4/15 only Humax DVD Recorder products with no activation history can still be activated with Product Lifetime Service. It won't be an option for any other products.

Pony
Old 03-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #75
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Any non-bundled unit until 4/15.

After 4/15 only Humax DVD Recorder products with no activation history can still be activated with Product Lifetime Service. It won't be an option for any other products.

Pony
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to prevent the same problems we've seen over the last week come 4/15?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #76
MEngland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to prevent the same problems we've seen over the last week come 4/15?
The answer, of course, is training. But to me, this exercise seems easier. The problem with the current plan was in the exceptions. You could activate until 4/15 IF you purchased by 3/16.

The new strategy is simple. If you own a non-bundle TiVo, you can activate Lifetime until 4/15. After that date, you cannot. Seems simple, no need to verify purchase date, etc.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #77
d4jaj1

Okay, I am completely lost with respect to MSD. I read this entire thread, as well as, the Buy Tivo on the offical site. Perhaps I'm just dumb.

Here's my scenario. I already have 2 Tivo units - Humax Recorder with Lifetime and 40hr Series 2 on MSD. I would like to purchase an additional Tivo unit (40 or 80 - doesn't matter) and be billed $6.95 for this unit.

Nowhere on Tivo's site does it allow me the option of simply buying the unit and applying the MSD - note, the terms and conditions of the Basic and Premium packages state MSD isn't eligible. Under this pricing scheme, am I supposed to prepay for a year of service - at full price - then call Tivo to reduce the fee to 6.95 after a year????? Furthermore, suppose a new customer purchased 2 boxes - I don't see anything in the order flow indicating where the MSD is applied.

To simplify my question, how do I go about purchasing a NEW Tivo box and have that unit's monthly cost billed a $6.95 from Day 1???

SPEAKING OUT LOUD
According to the Tivo site, I can pre-pay 1yr for a 80hr unit @ $224. MSD for 1yr is $83.40, minus the $224 equals $140.60, which is close to the pre-pricing change 80hr unit (after rebate) - making it basically the same for existing MSD customers as before the change. Does this logic sound right? Only gap here is - is the 40hr unit not being sold anymore?
d4jaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #78
MEngland

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4jaj1
I would like to purchase an additional Tivo unit (40 or 80 - doesn't matter) and be billed $6.95 for this unit.
TiVo.com only sells Bundled units now - the box and Service in a package.

You need a "service only" contract to get MSD. This is simple. Go to your local Best Buy, CompUSA, or the like, and buy a TiVo. I think both CompUSA and Best Buy were selling the 40 Hour boxes for $170 with a $150 rebate. Your net cost for the box is $20.

These "unbundled" units can use a Service Only contract - Including the $6.95 price for a MSD subscription. You may need to commit to a 12-month contract, but you'll get the $6.95 price. Net cost for the first year: $20 + 12x$6.95 = $103.40 (or thereabouts)
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #79
juststained

Ok, lets see if we have this straight now after reading this entire post:

Anything bought from Tivo.com after 3/15 is now not eligible for Lifetime because they are all bundled with service, correct?

Any box bought at retail WITHOUT service is eligible for Lifetime UNTIL 4/15 correct?

After 4/15 NO BOX will be eligible for lifetime EXCEPT Humax DVD recorder models that have never been previously activated??

Is this your final Answer??
juststained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #80
MEngland

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststained
Ok, lets see if we have this straight now after reading this entire post:

Anything bought from Tivo.com after 3/15 is now not eligible for Lifetime because they are all bundled with service, correct?
This is effectively true. I'm sure someone will point out that they got TiVo to ship a service-only unit after that date, this this would be an unusualy exception. Let's call your statement true.

Quote:
Any box bought at retail WITHOUT service is eligible for Lifetime UNTIL 4/15 correct?
Definitely true.

Quote:
After 4/15 NO BOX will be eligible for lifetime EXCEPT Humax DVD recorder models that have never been previously activated??
Generally True, with three exceptions
1) Grandfathered series 1 Lifetime owners can transfer the lifetime (once) to a later box.
2) Existing Lifetime gift cards and gift certificates are still valid and can be used to upgrade any unit to Lifetime (assuming the unit does not have other contract restrictions)
3) TiVo is awarding a S3 with lifetme as part of a contest.

These exceptions are well discussed elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #81
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Well done, MEngland, exactly right.

By the way, the current "Web specials" offer (http://www.tivo.com/2.1.1.0.ws.asp) -- currently a 40-hour factory renewed unit with 1 year prepaid for $155.40 -- is NOT eligible for Product Lifetime (either before or after 4/15) since it is considered a bundled offer.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:40 AM   #82
timckelley
TCFer

How about a box bought after 3/15? There seems to be disagreement on this.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #83
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi Tim,

All agents should now be trained on the new policy. Here is the relevant portion of the Knowledge Base article:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KB code 39-10-08 (for current monthly customers who want to switch to Product Lifetime):

Product Lifetime Service is no longer available after March 17, 2006. We will allow current monthly subscribers to change their Payment Plan to Product Lifetime Service until April 15, 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KB code 39-10-05 (for new customers):

Product Lifetime Service is no longer available beginning March 17, 2006. [...]

Customers wanting to purchase Product Lifetime Service can do so before April 15, 2006. Use the procedure below to activate Product Lifetime Service.
As you can see, there's no requirement the box be brought before or after 3/15.

The only time Product Lifetime cannot be purchased currently is for bundled units purchased from tivo.com. (But you cannot get Product Lifetime online -- you have to call Customer Support.)

Act fast, because after 4/15 you'll need a gift subscription or a Humax DVD-Recorder to get Product Lifetime.

If you have any trouble, please have the agent reference these articles, or ask to speak to a supervisor.

Best regards,
Stephen

Old 03-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #84
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
currently a 40-hour factory renewed unit with 1 year prepaid for $155.40 -- is NOT eligible for Product Lifetime (either before or after 4/15) since it is considered a bundled offer.
Dude:

How 'bout lettin' folks get a $155.40 refurb or a $224 new (1yr) and ADD $299 for Lifetime on top? Think on it a bit.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #85
sealrock

TIVO record of lifetime activation date not correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLikeTivo
Thanks and Rats. I activated both in 2000 but one in July and one in Dec so I can't use the grandfather clause to swap in a Series 3 when they come out. So it goes.
Look for your receipts! Last week I called TIVO for the activation date of my lifetime sub and was told it was Oct 2000. I told them I remember purchasing the unit and sub at the store in '99 but did not have access to my record - I was at work when I called. After checking with her supervisor the agent told me her supervisor confirmed the October date is all they had on their system but that since I had been a TIVO subscriber for so long (still thinking Oct 2000) he had authorized a one time transfer and that she would note it on my file (case number was provided). When I got home I found my receipt from August 1999 so Iamb covered anyway.
Lesson: 1) Tivo records are not necessarily correct. 2) If you call and insist Tivo may authorize a deviation form their January 2000 date - whether they honor is is a different question.
sealrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #86
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Sealrock, I don't see how it is possible for our records to not be accurate for Product Lifetime purchase. I have never seen an inaccurate date after looking at thousands of cases over the last seven years.

I would bet money that what happened in your case is that you purchased the unit and monthly service in 1999, and then switched to Product Lifetime in October of 2000 (after the grandfather date).

Old 03-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #87
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
Dude:

How 'bout lettin' folks get a $155.40 refurb or a $224 new (1yr) and ADD $299 for Lifetime on top? Think on it a bit.
I'll propose that to the marketing team, but I don't think this is likely to happen, sorry.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:33 PM   #88
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
That's the same as selling lifetime for $454.40. Not going to happen.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #89
GadgetGav

Hmmm...
Who was it around here who wondered how much money Tivo was suddenly getting from all the people rushing to switch to lifetime and now here they are extending that chance for people for just 30 more days...
Maybe if we're lucky, they'll bring in so much money over the next couple of weeks that they won't need to scrap the old price structure, can put more people onto finishing the S3 and can finally hire a couple of programmers to get TTG on OS X out of the door..!
GadgetGav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:22 AM   #90
sealrock

Quote:
Sealrock, I don't see how it is possible for our records to not be accurate for Product Lifetime purchase. I have never seen an inaccurate date after looking at thousands of cases over the last seven years.

I would bet money that what happened in your case is that you purchased the unit and monthly service in 1999, and then switched to Product Lifetime in October of 2000 (after the grandfather date).

TiVoOpsMgr,
I rechecked my receipt and cc statement. You were correct.
I'm going to have to change my username after only two posts!
sealrock is offline   Reply With Quote