TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #31
Larry in TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by John494900
for us monthly people, one year sounds way better. why have the options to pay more?
Because about 80% of Americans live paycheck-to-paycheck and are only concerned with getting through the month (or week). A lower monthly payment will appeal to these folks. I'd bet that the $16.95/mo for 3yrs plan will be the most popular.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #32
ljk

I'm still confused about the MSD. I upgraded my TiVO to lifetime a few weeks ago because my dad offered to send me a second TiVO (from his vacation house), and I only wanted to pay one monthly fee. This second TiVO might not arrive (and thus get switched to my account) until after the 15th. Will I still qualify for 6.95 pricing on the second box? I read all the threads that I could find, but I'm still not sure. Thanks!
Lea
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes you will qualify for the MSD. The only restriction is yoou will have to comit to a 1 year term. However that would have applied regardless of the MSD.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #34
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

lifetime removed already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr
[*]Product Lifetime will no longer be offered for new subscriptions, starting sometime shortly after Wednesday 3/15/06.
A coworker told me that he got screwed and the removal of lifetime happened over the weekend (must've happened very late Sunday night or early Monday morning). I can see that on http://www.tivo.com/3.0.asp, lifetime is no longer even listed. Can you confirm? I have no unactivated TSN to enter here to try to see if lifetime is in fact unavailable.

Since your posts and all the others have stated lifetime would go away on/after 3/15/06, if there's an issue w/getting lifetime before 3/15/06, will you be wililng to accomodate them?
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #35
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna
A coworker told me that he got screwed and the removal of lifetime happened over the weekend (must've happened very late Sunday night or early Monday morning). I can see that on http://www.tivo.com/3.0.asp, lifetime is no longer even listed. Can you confirm? I have no unactivated TSN to enter here to try to see if lifetime is in fact unavailable.

Since your posts and all the others have stated lifetime would go away on/after 3/15/06, if there's an issue w/getting lifetime before 3/15/06, will you be wililng to accomodate them?
I'm looking now, and lifetime is still available. (Whew!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #36
timckelley
TCFer

When upgrading, the site tells you this:

Quote:
Remember, monthly billing fees are not prorated and/or refunded. If you would like to change your billing option to product lifetime within your 30 day billing cycle, you will not be refunded the unused portion of your monthly TiVo service fee. You may prefer to transfer toward the end of your billing cycle.
What difference does doing it in the middle of the cyle make? No matter when you do it, this is the final payment on your box.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #37
nuncles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
"Product Lifetime will no longer be offered for new subscriptions, starting sometime shortly after Wednesday 3/15/06."

Clarification please - does the above mean that if I have a current subscription at $12.95/month with x months left to go that a Product Lifetime sub can still be purchased after Wednesday up until x months have passed? (e.g. are you making a difference between a subscription that takes place after Wednesday vs. one that is in effect today).

Thanks.

(Other than that confusion for me, great summary ...)
Was this question ever addressed? I apologize if I missed it. I am in the same situation. Here is the information I got, but I was hoping someone would clarify this.

I was on the phone with TIVO Sunday afternoon because my account showed that I owed $12.95 even though I used the gift subscriptions when activating (I activated the previous day). Because of this, It would not allow me to upgrade to the lifetime. The TIVO representative assured me that this was just how their billing system was setup and that it would clear itself in a day or two. After the account was clear I would still have the same 30 day opportunity to upgrade to lifetime.

Could I get clarification on if the TIVO rep was correct? This somewhat contradicts your previous post. Please let me know if I was misled by the TIVO rep or if he was not informed of the new policy.

Thanks
nuncles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #38
timckelley
TCFer

I remember a few days ago, somebody saying the TiVo reps weren't yet trained on the new abolishment of lifetime issue, so if I were you, I'd definitely clear this up/confirm the situation.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #39
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
I'm looking now, and lifetime is still available. (Whew!)
Good news. The coworker was able to get lifetime and it seems the page got reverted to one w/the correct choices. Thanks!
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #40
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

The original post was edited to add details about the new service-only prepay options.

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #41
nuncles

Quote:
The original post was edited to add details about the new service-only prepay options.
Sorry guy, that really doesn't clarify everything? Is the quote below the change you were referring too?
Quote:
For Product Lifetime going away: Once it goes away sometime shortly after Wednesday 3/15, you will not be able to get it if you don't have it already. New customers cannot purchase it. Existing customers cannot purchase it. Existing customers cannot convert their existing monthly contracts into Product Lifetime. It is no longer available as an option.
or
Service-only prepay options: We also announced that there are going to be service-only prepay options (available once Product Lifetime goes away, later this week).
If this is in fact the case then that is atrocious service bording on false advertising. Is everyone expected to read the forums BEFORE purchasing an item? That is ridiculous. When purchasing, I was under the assumption that I had this option and was even told so by a TIVO representative. To top it all off, the billing has still yet to clear for the gift subscription which will hinder me from the lifetime option before it expires.
If I am misunderstanding then I will retract, but this is not a good way to start off servicing a customer.

Last edited by nuncles : 03-13-2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #42
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi nuncles, we have just now posted some additional clarifications that should match what you were told by the TiVo representative.

Sorry for any confusion.

Best regards,
Stephen

Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #43
nuncles

Crystal Clear. That is exactly the clarification I was looking for. Thanks Stephen.

I misunderstood and I guess I jumped the gun. I am glad they decided to honor this and retract what I said earlier.

Also, thanks for specifying that you had to call TIVO for lifetime conversion.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:55 PM   #44
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuncles
Was this question ever addressed?
Actually, yes. The revised original post answers it quite well.

If you are paying $12.95 per month now, you can upgrade to lifetime between now and 4/15. After that, no can do.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 AM   #45
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Two things:

Typo:
* For one-year of service, you can prepay $155.
* For two years of service, you prepay $299.
* For three years of service, you can prepare $399.

s/prepare/prepay/

Clarification if you could:
Quote:
Due to the terms of our relationship with Humax, however, new Humax DVD Recorder products not previously activated for service (that is, they have no activation history) will continue to be eligible for Product Lifetime Service activation. They are not affected by the 3/15/06 purchase cutoff or the 4/15/06 Product Lifetime activation cutoff. Again, you must call TiVo Customer Support in order to activate Product Lifetime Service. Humax DVD Recorder products which have already been activated for service have until 4/15/06 to upgrade to Product Lifetime Service. After 4/15/06, Humax DVD Recorder products with an activation history will no longer have Product Lifetime Service as an activation option.
Is this only the Humax DVD units (DRT400/800/2000), and not the non-DVD Humax boxes (T800/2500)? How about the Toshiba and Pioneer DVD units? There are still new ones floating around out there, do they have the same grace as Humax? And, if so, is activation TiVo Plus, or just using TiVo Basic?

Thanks.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #46
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone

Clarification if you could:

Is this only the Humax DVD units (DRT400/800/2000), and not the non-DVD Humax boxes (T800/2500)? How about the Toshiba and Pioneer DVD units? There are still new ones floating around out there, do they have the same grace as Humax? And, if so, is activation TiVo Plus, or just using TiVo Basic?

Thanks.
The wording is quite specific, it is only for Humax DVD Recorder products.

Cheers,
Pony
Old 03-14-2006, 05:56 AM   #47
coletown

Stephen, you've stated plainly that MSD pricing will remain $6.95/mo for qualified units. However, paragraph 6 of the MSDSA reads: "TiVo reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to increase or decrease the amount of the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT or discontinue the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT at any time."

Is there consensus at the top to keep MSD pricing fixed for many, many months to come? Hope so. But with all going on at TiVo these days, might it be smarter to bite the $299 bullet and upgrade to lifetime before that option vaporizes on Thursday?

Thanks for your superb summary and updates in this thread.
coletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #48
Jasoco

Question

Quote:
Section 1: What's NOT changing

For existing subscribers: If you’re perfectly happy with the TiVo pricing you have and had no plans to purchase and activate a new TiVo unit, then you’re completely unaffected.
  • Your monthly stays at $12.95 (or $6.95 if you have the Mult Service Discount).
  • Any existing Product Lifetime contracts are still honored.
  • Existing Multi Service Discount rules are unchanged.
  • Existing rules about ownership transfers and service transfers are unchanged.
  • Existing gift cards are still valid.
So this means that as long as I have the box I have now, my pricing won't change, correct?
Jasoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #49
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoco
So this means that as long as I have the box I have now, my pricing won't change, correct?
Not quite - Your pricing won't change because of this new pricing announcement.

It does not mean that TiVo will not raise either the $12.95 or $6.95 price in the future.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #50
kettledrum

I can't believe I didn't hear about this before now. And now I'm a day too late for lifetime. sheesh.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:57 AM   #51
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum
I can't believe I didn't hear about this before now. And now I'm a day too late for lifetime. sheesh.
Isn't the new deadline tonight at 8PM or something? You still have time if you act quickly.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #52
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

The deadline tonight at 8pm Pacific is if you want to activate online.

If you have an existing unit and call for an exception, you can get Product Lifetime through April 15, 2006.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #53
IJustLikeTivo

So, I've had my two series one Tivo's for a long time but I don't know how long. Is there a way to find out when I activated the lifetime on them?
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #54
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJustLikeTivo
So, I've had my two series one Tivo's for a long time but I don't know how long. Is there a way to find out when I activated the lifetime on them?
Log on to 'manage my account' and view billing history.

Edit:

http://www.tivo.com/

then click 'I have TiVo'
click 'Manage my account'
click 'view billing history'

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 03-16-2006, 04:34 PM   #55
IJustLikeTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by timckelley
Log on to 'manage my account' and view billing history.

Edit:

http://www.tivo.com/

then click 'I have TiVo'
click 'Manage my account'
click 'view billing history'
Thanks and Rats. I activated both in 2000 but one in July and one in Dec so I can't use the grandfather clause to swap in a Series 3 when they come out. So it goes.
IJustLikeTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #56
Blurayfan

Minor bug: Link has extra character at the end
Q. What happens if my TiVo box breaks during my service commitment?

A. All TiVo boxes are subject to the TiVo DVR Limited Warranty. Please see full TiVo DVR Limited Warranty for details [http://www.tivo.com/2.6.1.3.asp]. During the term of your commitment, TiVo will extend the length of the parts warranty for the length of your term for TiVo-branded DVRs. If your box breaks, TiVo will replace it for a reasonable fee.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #57
gimgol

There seems to be some confusion

"If you purchased your non-bundled TiVo DVR prior to 3/16/06, you'll have until 4/15/06 to call and activate Product Lifetime service on the box."

I would like to point out that this option is difficult to take advantage of through Customer Service.

I just got off the phone with Tivo Customer Support and I was told that Product Lifetime Service is not an option on non-bundled Tivos purchased prior to 03/16/06. I referenced this thread, the rep indicated that he had read it -- still no change. While the rep agreed that I had none of the other issues in the bullet point that would keep me from being eligible he still refused to upgrade my units referencing "an email" that told him not to upgrade existing units.

If this is indeed an option, Customer Service needs to be made aware of it. If this is not an option, or there are other conditions, the original post needs to be edited to reflect them.

Last edited by gimgol : 03-18-2006 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Formatting
gimgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 05:30 PM   #58
Alpinemaps

^ I had a similar issue this afternoon, when I called in.

I first spoke to an initial agent, who gave me a case number and elevated me. The elevated agent went online to this thread, and looked it up. He even quoted me the below statement:

Quote:
Section 2: Product Lifetime no longer an option
  • If you purchased your non-bundled TiVo DVR prior to 3/16/06, you'll have until 4/15/06 to call and activate Product Lifetime service on the box. This is provided there is no conflict with any other terms of your purchase (such as the requirement to activate service by 3/31 for the current 80 hour offer on tivo.com). Activating Product Lifetime Service is not available online; you must call TiVo Customer Support (1-877-367-8486) in order to activate Product Lifetime service. Boxes purchased on or after 3/16/06 will not be eligible to activate Product Lifetime service. After 4/15/06, this option is no longer available.
He said that boxes are not eligible for Product Lifetime. My box was purchased a year ago, and is on monthly. He said it was only recently purchased boxes, within the last 30 days, that were eligible. I pointed out to him that it doesn't say that in that quote. He said, sorry, but that he couldn't activate lifetime.

He did elevate it again, and said it would be about a week before I'd hear anything back because of case load of the next highest rep. He took my payment info, and told me that I was welcome to call back and check up on the status at any time.

I was very nice to him, and he was very nice to me. So, despite the disappointment that this isn't as easy as it should be, even when they're reading this sticky, and despite my own disappointment in myself for not taking care of this before Product Lifetime went away, I want to stress that the reps I talked to were nice and professional, and attempted to be helpful.
Alpinemaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #59
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I'm a little confused.

If you buy a bundled package,

1 Year at $19.95=$239.40, then two years at $12.95=310.80, for a 3 year total of $550.20.

3 years at 16.95=610.20..

Why on earth would I pay 60 more to be committed for 3 years? Seems like it should be cheaper in the long run if you're willing to commit to 3 years...

Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #60
PeteEMT
NF2 Guy

Even tho your way is cheaper, there's a greater upfront cost in that first year. For some, I guess the $3 could be a make it or break it point.

In that sense, it's kinda like loan terms, shorter is usually cheaper in the interest owed, but not always financially viable for the loanee.

May is Neurofibromatosis Awareness Month

PeteEMT is offline   Reply With Quote