TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-02-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
CharlesH

Question Does lifetime ever expire if the unit doesn't call in?

I gave my adult daughter a Series2 two years ago with product lifetime, and earlier this year she ran into some problems with it calling in on the phone line (she didn't have broadband), so she just gave up and started to use it in VCR mode (explicitly scheduled recording). Next time we visit her, I want to take a look at it (and she has since gotten broadband, so I want to hook that up). I'm sure it has been more than six months, maybe a year, since it has called in; am I going to have a problem with her account? Or is that six month deadline only for the multiple-unit discount (which doesn't apply here)?
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Seattle

Lifetime service does not expire. I have two old series ones that have not called in for almost a year and when I did have them call in lifetime was still there.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
wscannell

The six-month deadline is only to continue to qualify for the MSD. Lifetime will stay with the TiVo even if it does not call in. You will need to call in to reenable the functioning of the TiVo at some point.
wscannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:58 AM   #4
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscannell
The six-month deadline is only to continue to qualify for the MSD. Lifetime will stay with the TiVo even if it does not call in. You will need to call in to reenable the functioning of the TiVo at some point.
Thanks for the info. She's not exactly a techie. I think what happened is that it tried to download one of those big software updates over the dialup, and after an hour or so, she thought it was broken. And of course, every time she dialed in, it tried again to download the update, so she finally gave up. She tends to come visit us, so I haven't had a chance to look at it.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Note that partial downloads do add up, so even if it takes a few more interrupted calls to complete, eventually it will download.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote