TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
tomm1079

Weaknees Fan Questions

I recently bought the 2 hard drive kit from weaknees. I installed everything on monday night and the fan seems EXTEMELY loud (the new fan that got put in). Is this normal? Im thinking about pulling it out and replacing it with one from best buy because of the noise. Could it be a bad fan that weaknees sent me?
tomm1079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
funtoupgrade

Could be, but there are so many different fan manufacturers that it would not be unusual to discover some are quieter than others. Any fan same size and with compatible connector will work.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate
Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
captain_video

If you're concerned about the noise do a google search on the web for "quiet PC." There are numerous sites dedicated to building noiseless PCs with links to quiet components such as fans and CPU cases. You should be able to find a fan that will fit the squeaknees bracket that's quieter than what they sold you at an overinflated price.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
weaknees

tomm1079-

Email us at info@weaknees.com and we'll get a new fan. No fan from us should be as loud as this one must be.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
HomeUser

Are you referring to the main fan or the drive bracket fan? The drive bracket fan should have some rubber "donuts" that mount between the fan and the bracket limiting the Sound Box effect of the bracket.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
BK89

What a coincidence!! I was just about to post a similar thread. I bought a two hard drive kit from weaknees probably 9 months back. I noticed the noise after install was a little louder but got used to it. Over the last 6 months, noise has gotten progressively worse. Assuming one of the hard drives was going to die, I got a replacement drive. Put in the new drive (Maxtor with Acoustics set to quiet) and it was just as loud. I pulled the top back off, disconnected the extra bracket fan weakness sent (which I paid extra for) and guess what - no more noise. It is perfectly quiet (kinda pissed I didn't figure this out sooner - have been annoyed for 6 months). So now I just need to find a QUIET fan to replace the bracket fan that I pulled out - or should I just leave it out, temps seemed a little higher but nomal. So for anyone who can't figure out why their Tivo is so loud, try running it with the fans disconected! Should have done that 6 months ago! By the way, size is 50mm.
BK89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
BK89

Also, I had the rubber o-rings installed between the bracket and the fan. Its not vibration, it's just the crappy fans weaknees is selling for $10 making a ton of noise. I plugged it in with the fan hanging off the side and it still made noise.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaknees
tomm1079-

Email us at info@weaknees.com and we'll get a new fan. No fan from us should be as loud as this one must be.

Michael

Thanks alot. I have sent the email.

It was the drive fan not the main fan. I have been unplugging my tivo at night the last few nights it was so bad
Old 01-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
buddhawood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK89
Also, I had the rubber o-rings installed between the bracket and the fan. Its not vibration, it's just the crappy fans weaknees is selling for $10 making a ton of noise. I plugged it in with the fan hanging off the side and it still made noise.
I had the same thing happen with two of my Weaknees kit fan, but mine were running for about two years.
buddhawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
tomm1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaknees
tomm1079-

Michael
I would like to thanks weaknees. I received the new fan last night and just put it in. It is SUPER quiet now.

Thanks

Tom
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
JasonD

I would like to add I just the Twin Breeze upgrade on two Tivo's both fans installed where whisper quiet, no problems. It seems if they had some problems they've ironed them out now.

Jason
JasonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #12
BK89

I would also like to thank Weaknees for resolving the problem quickly. Great service. Why lose a customers praise over a fan that probably costs them next to nothing anyway? Good to see they stand behind their products.