TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
BrianEWilliams

Accessing TiVo Shows Whilst Travelling

Going on a long trip, and I'd like to watch my TiVo shows while on the road. Slingbox is a nice solution, but a little pricey still. Played around with port forwarding to see if I can expose the TiVo web server to the internet. On first go round, didn't seem to work. If anyone knows that this isn't possible, I'd be VERY appreciative of that tip. Or conversely, if there is a simple way to do this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
BrianEWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
tonyonlinux

Have a look at dvreverywhere.com I have a strong feeling you will like it. It is by orb network and currently in beta. If the price is right after beta I will consider paying to use it. Anyway, orb runs on a computer connected to your home network. Then you can be anywhere in the world with an internet connection and log in and stream the video to your computer. I use it at work all the time to watch cops while in the office.

Also, you mentioned tivo web. it is totally possible thats how i have mine setup. What you do is dmz your tivo on the router so the ports are open. Then you access the tivo by doing a https://<yourrouterip> then it will prompt you for a username and pass enter tivo as the username and your MAK as the password. It will then take you to your nowplaying list and you can then download your files.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
BrianEWilliams

That does help, thanks for the quick reply. I am playing with Orb right now, but it seems like an extra step and another box I need on 24/7, so I'd prefer to access the TiVo directly. DMZ-ing seems like overkill, and I actually have the TiVo behind two routers (don't ask), so I'd have to DMZ times two.

I just realized why it didn't work. Forwarding port 80 isn't right because it is a https connection, which is port 443.

The sound of me running down to the basement to test my theory.

**Edit**

I know I just rediscovered the wheel, but it feels good. I had to forward port 443 and 80 through both of my routers for it to work.

Last edited by BrianEWilliams : 01-16-2006 at 08:20 PM.
BrianEWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote