TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #241
NYCwbyfan
This space for rent

Ok, heres my question...

I downloaded a movie and it comes in 2 folders, CD1 and CD2. How do I combine it so that my player knows to play them consecutively when watching the movie??
NYCwbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #242
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
$50 more for 20 gigs less.
Well, there's the software, looks, other considerations that might make it a better choice for someone besides simply the cost/capacity. Not endorsing the product nor do I have one. But common wisdom was that the iPod mini would be a flop for much the raeson you cited, and it only became the most popular player in the world. Personally, if I wanted something like this, I'd buy the LaCie before the other one.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #243
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns
Well, there's the software, looks, other considerations that might make it a better choice for someone besides simply the cost/capacity. Not endorsing the product nor do I have one. But common wisdom was that the iPod mini would be a flop for much the raeson you cited, and it only became the most popular player in the world. Personally, if I wanted something like this, I'd buy the LaCie before the other one.
Well, with an iPod, looks and size are a lot more important than with a portable hard drive (and many would pay a premium (based on $/gig) for one). For a portable hard drive, I would buy the cheaper one . Plus, I posted the link for just the enclosure for $100 and you can find your own deal on the hard drive instead of being forced to pay what they are charging saving even more money.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #244
TivoFan

I haven't bothered to read all of the posts in this thread, but I read enough to see that some people actually talked about shows they downloaded.

Think about that. You are admitting on a public forum participating in an illegal activity. Should the content holders ever wish to pursue legal action against you, you've already lost your case. Your only saving grace is the unlikelihood of them ever finding your post. Better hope they don't go looking.

And don't admit to anything you don't have to.
TivoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #245
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFan
I haven't bothered to read all of the posts in this thread, but I read enough to see that some people actually talked about shows they downloaded.

Think about that. You are admitting on a public forum participating in an illegal activity. Should the content holders ever wish to pursue legal action against you, you've already lost your case. Your only saving grace is the unlikelihood of them ever finding your post. Better hope they don't go looking.

And don't admit to anything you don't have to.
...Bob Loblaw...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #246
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
...Bob Loblaw...
...'s Law Blog...
Old 01-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #247
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Cute.

Bob Loblaw's Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #248
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Cute.

Bob Loblaw's Blog
Did you miss that episode where they talked about Bob Loblaw's Law Blog? Maybe you should go download it.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #249
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

I agree

Bit Torrent is powerful but is by far the most difficult P2P program I've ever used.

As others have said, your router/firewall is where most problems are found.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 PM   #250
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFan
I Should the content holders ever wish to pursue legal action against you, you've already lost your case.
Sounds to me like you're setting yourself up for consorting, accessory after the fact, something like that. I'll see that Mr. Loblaw defends you.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:25 AM   #251
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

Dubya's To Do List:

1. Find Osama
2. End that whole Iraq thing
3. Bust those damn TCF BitTorrenting bastards

Be afraid...be very afraid...

On a more related note...I find BT to be very easy to use, especially since I learned about port forwarding and am now enjoying much faster download speeds...like everything, it's easier once you've had time to play with it...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #252
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwbyfan
Ok, heres my question...

I downloaded a movie and it comes in 2 folders, CD1 and CD2. How do I combine it so that my player knows to play them consecutively when watching the movie??
Did you download it in VCD format??? I dunno how to answer question, assuming you're talking about playing it on your Tivo...
Download in unsplit format next time...heh
Old 01-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #253
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

I downloaded both Azureus and utorrent. As a near 5 year old, I prefer utorrent, as its help stuff got me through the messing with my router bit. Works great, but I will need to research speeding thngs up and streamlining the process. It was pretty slick to get a show and move it onto the Tivo.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 PM   #254
astrohip
Stuart F

I've been reading this thread since the beginning. Great education. Thanks! I have now been using uTorrent for a week or two, and never had a problem (again, thx to this thread).

Couple o' questions:

1) There are many different torrent sites. Why? Why do some torrents appear at one site (say Pirate Bay) and other torrents at isoHunt? Is there a master torrent site or list?

2) Why do torrents get to 99.4% or 99.7%, and freeze? Never to resume again? I have had this happen to three different torrents (out of maybe 30-40 that completed).

[last question, more personal]
3) I have been using torrent to find/dl some old classic rock albums, where I have the vinyl, but have never got around to buying the CD, or they were never reissued on CD. Is any torrent site better at having this particular type of music?

Thanks.

Stuart
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 PM   #255
efilippi

May I offer a suggestion for those who wonder about their download speeds. I too have not had great performance when trying to get various files. My download speed almost never exceeded my upload speed, and I think 30 or 40 was about the best I ever achieved. But so what, I thought, just let it run overnight and all is ok in the end.

This past week my podcast download of TWIT from Itunes failed. Leo explained it as a problem with AOL and suggested we try some other source, and one of the sources provided was a torrent download. I tried that and was astounded. The thing just ripped along, triple digit speeds. Probably because there were a large number of seeds and peers.

So if you wonder if there is a problem with your download setup, try going to the TWIT site, via leoville or John Dvorak or something, I'm sure you can find it, and see it that download goes faster. If it does, then the speed of your movie downloads is their fault, not your setup.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #256
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
2) Why do torrents get to 99.4% or 99.7%, and freeze? Never to resume again? I have had this happen to three different torrents (out of maybe 30-40 that completed).
This happens if there isn't a complete copy of the file among the people sharing it. This can happen if people stop seeding completed files. If the same 0.6% of the file is missing from every client in the swarm, then the file will never complete.

(I know in Azurius you can see how many copies of the file exist in the swarm, and if it is less than 1 it will never complete).

I've had a couple torrents that sat for several days at 90+% complete before someone with the missing pieces rejoined the swarm.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #257
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S
(I know in Azurius you can see how many copies of the file exist in the swarm, and if it is less than 1 it will never complete).
Thanks. I have been peeking around uTorrent, and found where you can see who is seeding/leeching, and what percent they have. The torrents I can't complete, it turns out everyone else has the same 99.x% available. I will take your advice, and leave it up for days (weeks, months, years?) until a 100% comes online
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #258
TivoFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
Dubya's To Do List:

3. Bust those damn TCF BitTorrenting bastards
Maybe not, but you have to admit, if you get caught because of posting on an online forum everybodys gonna think you were an idiot.
TivoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #259
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Is anyone out there using RSS to automate the acquisition of TV show files? If so, what site(s) have the best RSS feed and what is the best way to configure it? I found one on TorrentSpy.com but it doesn't appear that there is any way to filter it to just look through the TV category. I found an RSS feed on isohunt.com but that one appears to be purposely crippled to prevent automatic downloading. Which begs the question: what is the point of an RSS feed for torrents if you then have to manually download them? Anyway, just looking for advice on the RSS stuff from those of you with more experience at this than me.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #260
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
Is anyone out there using RSS to automate the acquisition of TV show files? If so, what site(s) have the best RSS feed and what is the best way to configure it? I found one on TorrentSpy.com but it doesn't appear that there is any way to filter it to just look through the TV category. I found an RSS feed on isohunt.com but that one appears to be purposely crippled to prevent automatic downloading. Which begs the question: what is the point of an RSS feed for torrents if you then have to manually download them? Anyway, just looking for advice on the RSS stuff from those of you with more experience at this than me.
I don't have an aswer for you, but would be interested in that too! Hopefully someone knows!

As for uTorrent, I am really liking that program. I missed the first three episodes of a show this season since I changed TiVos since last season and didn't get my season pass setup. However, my wife complains that the Internet is slow when I am downloading stuff. Sometimes it crawls. I just found out that uTorrent lets you set a schedule of download speeds. So, I set it up so that when we are home that it either limits the speed or disables the downloading and then when we are asleep or at work, it can download faster! It works like a champ! Now she doesn't complain as much! However, yesterday she went home two hours early and the Internet was slow for her.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #261
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
I don't have an aswer for you, but would be interested in that too! Hopefully someone knows!

As for uTorrent, I am really liking that program. I missed the first three episodes of a show this season since I changed TiVos since last season and didn't get my season pass setup. However, my wife complains that the Internet is slow when I am downloading stuff. Sometimes it crawls. I just found out that uTorrent lets you set a schedule of download speeds. So, I set it up so that when we are home that it either limits the speed or disables the downloading and then when we are asleep or at work, it can download faster! It works like a champ! Now she doesn't complain as much! However, yesterday she went home two hours early and the Internet was slow for her.
Geez. How much stuff are you downloading?!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #262
kbrunsting

There's a new program available called Ted.... just search for Ted and Torrent on Google. It automates the process of searching for television shows by using feeds some of the sites use. There's many shows already setup in the interface... so you just pick your show, the season, and the current episode and it will locate the show and fire up your own bit torrent client.
kbrunsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #263
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

Should I enable UPNP on my router???
My speeds have seemed sluggish lately...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #264
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Geez. How much stuff are you downloading?!
I don't think it is a matter of how much. I just think I haven't gotten all the settings right to where it doesn't take all the bandwidth.

And usually I am not downloading hardly anything. I just found out I had missed a few episodes of a couple of shows and tagged them all to download. My wife would get home before me and if it was slow, she'd reboot. That would stop my download.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #265
macdon2
Thinking...

I first want to thank scubagal for starting this tread as I have been trying to get one episode of something and have been not been successful in obtaining it. I also want to thank dswallow for posting the Azureus link. Next comes lee for the converter link.

Everything fell right into place and I have redeemed myself with my wife for missing the one episode she has been dying to see. And now the SP is set so I won't miss any more episodes.

YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!
macdon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #266
PJO1966
Legally Married

I've been using ConvertXtoDVD after downloading, and have a question. I'm burning using an internal drive (NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A). Is there any way to reuse these disks after I've seen whatever I've downloaded? I've tried and get a message saying that the disk contains read-only material. I'd rather not have to keep throwing these away after viewing them once. Any suggestions or am I trying to go against DVD+R basics?
PJO1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #267
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
I've been using ConvertXtoDVD after downloading, and have a question. I'm burning using an internal drive (NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A). Is there any way to reuse these disks after I've seen whatever I've downloaded? I've tried and get a message saying that the disk contains read-only material. I'd rather not have to keep throwing these away after viewing them once. Any suggestions or am I trying to go against DVD+R basics?
Are you using DVD+RW disks or DVD+R disks?

Old 02-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #268
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Are you using DVD+RW disks or DVD+R disks?

DVD+RW
PJO1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #269
jcgrim
Suit Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdon2
I first want to thank scubagal for starting this tread as I have been trying to get one episode of something and have been not been successful in obtaining it. I also want to thank dswallow for posting the Azureus link. Next comes lee for the converter link.

Everything fell right into place and I have redeemed myself with my wife for missing the one episode she has been dying to see. And now the SP is set so I won't miss any more episodes.

YOU ALL ROCK!!!!!
I must second this! I didn't really look very hard but when I first started hearing about bit torrents it seemed a little to much work, but after this thread I can finally download some episodes I have been missing!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #270
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
DVD+RW
On either your PC (assuming you have a DVD burner) or the standalone DVD recorder, you should be able to reformat the disk and then reuse it. You can't just overwrite them again without reformatting, I don't believe.