TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #211
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent
Check this site out if your looking for Tv shows and use the Newsgroups to get episodes.

http://www.tvnzb.com/nzb
So what is a NZB? That's the format of the files you can download from them, right?
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #212
mtnagel
Registered User
 
mtnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 16,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
So what is a NZB? That's the format of the files you can download from them, right?
Read this - http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=9 (and read the whole guide about mews groups if you need too). The main page was posted earlier in the thread by Malcontent and it helped me out a lot. I'd explain it myself, but I'm still not at the level where I can explain how things work. I've got them to work for me, but I couldn't explain it without a guide or something.
__________________
Matt
mtnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #213
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: East Hell
Posts: 9,629
Lots and lots of TV Torrents ...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #214
efilippi
Registered User
 
efilippi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Mundelein, Il
Posts: 4,169
I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question, Cary, but I'm sure someone else will. Welcome aboard.
__________________
Ed
Comcast cable Blast
Tivo Roamio Pro
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #215
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,425
After many glowing praises for the Philips DVP642 DivX-Certified Progressive-Scan DVD Player , I ordered one from Amazon.com. I should have it next week for only $57.99 shipped!

On another note, people were wondering how to play downloaded content on their TV. Today I had a Global Computer ad in my mailbox. One of the featured items looks like it would do just that!

It's an external hard drive that has composite outputs and a remote control so that you can play things you download right on your tv.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #216
mtnagel
Registered User
 
mtnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 16,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz

It's an external hard drive that has composite outputs and a remote control so that you can play things you download right on your tv.
That enclosure is cool, but not $100 cool. If it were cheaper and I didn't just buy one last month, I'd buy it.
__________________
Matt
mtnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:42 PM   #217
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
That enclosure is cool, but not $100 cool. If it were cheaper and I didn't just buy one last month, I'd buy it.
Actually, it's $200. Even less cool!
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #218
mtnagel
Registered User
 
mtnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 16,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
Actually, it's $200. Even less cool!
That's with a 100 gig hard drive too. You can buy the enclosure separately - http://www.globalcomputer.com/applic...&sku=TC3G-5004 for $100.
__________________
Matt
mtnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #219
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
That's with a 100 gig hard drive too. You can buy the enclosure separately - http://www.globalcomputer.com/applic...&sku=TC3G-5004 for $100.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that!
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #220
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
Just a friendly reminder most everything discussed and instructed on in this thread is illegal. All television shows are copyrighted no matter what your personal reasons are. This thread BTW break rule number 5 of the forum rules.

5. No discussion of any illegal activity.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #221
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: East Hell
Posts: 9,629
Fascinating stuff above this post...really...although I would guess that there's an outside chance that the (real) moderators may have noticed this thread sometime...

It's easy to play downloaded content on your Tivo...if your Tivo is networked with your PC...just use Videora to convert your files (see links in previous messages) and have it leave the converted file either in your "My Tivo Recordings" that Tivo Desktop made, or any other networked folder that you created in Galleon or something similar...you can then transfer the file from your PC to your Tivo using your Tivo, and even watch it as it transfers (I suggest letting the transfer get a few minutes head start though)...
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:18 PM   #222
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 49,220
TC CLUB MEMBER
Actually there's nothing illegal at all about using a peer-to-peer program like Bittorrent clients.

It's not the program; it's what you do with it.

There's also nothing illegal about converting video formats.

So technically "most everything" discussed and instructed in this thread is legal.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #223
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
Yes Doug, but when you list sites like your second post describing how to download shameless etc., the wink wink nudge nudge aspect is a pretty lame argument. Pull all the links and discussion on downloading shows, and maybe you have a point. Its not the program it is the intent and you and others make the intent very clear here. This is no different than theft of service from Directv and/or Tivo. The thread instructs people on how to break copyright and steal shows. Using your argument I could post a users guide on how to decrpyt Directv signal using legal programs, because it is not the program but what you do with it. Let's see how long that thread would last.

The hacking tivo programs for free service and video extraction programs and conversions from ty files are explicity not allowed on this forum, this is no different.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #224
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 49,220
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa
Yes Doug, but when you list sites like your second post describing how to download shameless etc., the wink wink nudge nudge aspect is a pretty lame argument. Pull all the links and discussion on downloading shows, and maybe you have a point. Its not the program it is the intent and you and others make the intent very clear here. This is no different than theft of service from Directv and/or Tivo. The thread instructs people on how to break copyright and steal shows. Using your argument I could post a users guide on how to decrpyt Directv signal using legal programs, because it is not the program but what you do with it. Let's see how long that thread would last.

The hacking tivo programs for free service and video extraction programs and conversions from ty files are explicity not allowed on this forum, this is no different.
There's always someone holier than thou on these forums. It's getting annoying.

If you believe there's a problem, report it to a moderator. Don't try to act like one.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #225
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
Where am I being holier than thou, don't get defensive , just see a discrepancy of the rules and I won't report this to a moderator not a snitch .
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #226
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 49,220
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa
Where am I being holier than thou, don't get defensive , just see a discrepancy of the rules and I won't report this to a moderator not a snitch .
Technically there's a lot of things that would be considered "illegal" or even "copyright violations" that go on in these forums. Downloading/exchanging images of TiVo's for example; people talking in roundabout ways about recreational drugs comes up occasionally; heck even soliciting a videotape or DVD copy (or perhaps actually providing one) is a copyright violation.

Now in the spirit of things, we do a decent job, I think. The vast majority of people using Bittorrent (at least of those inquiring here) are doing so to get a missed episode or an episode that was partially cut off. Yeah, still a copyright violation, but it's probably not one that's particularly cared much about, at least not yet. Now those people grabbing whole seasons to avoid buying a DVD set or grabbing episodes from pay channels to avoid having to subscribe are a different matter.

Of course even bringing this up is going to attract someone who'll say it's still illegal and I'm just rationalizing the illegal activity. Yeah, maybe so. So what?

Unlike movie "trading" online, television show "trading" really has been ignored. Intentional? Who knows.

The unfortunate thing is that these kinds of things are just going to be on the edge of a rather antiquated copyright law -- where the law really hasn't kept up with technology. We're slowly seeing the copyright owners recognize there's an online market; if they succeed in meeting that market then perhaps this sort of thing will diminish greatly on its own. Of course, if they do what the record industry does -- overprice everything -- then maybe not.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #227
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Technically there's a lot of things that would be considered "illegal" or even "copyright violations" that go on in these forums. Downloading/exchanging images of TiVo's for example; people talking in roundabout ways about recreational drugs comes up occasionally; heck even soliciting a videotape or DVD copy (or perhaps actually providing one) is a copyright violation.
I agree but this thread isn't roundabout in any way, just look at the title

Quote:
Now in the spirit of things, we do a decent job, I think. The vast majority of people using Bittorrent (at least of those inquiring here) are doing so to get a missed episode or an episode that was partially cut off. Yeah, still a copyright violation, but it's probably not one that's particularly cared much about, at least not yet. Now those people grabbing whole seasons to avoid buying a DVD set or grabbing episodes from pay channels to avoid having to subscribe are a different matter.
Remember this is a community of 100K plus members that list no theft of service etc. discussion as a very important issue. For example, Posting a way to get tvio for free when I pay for it on some boxes doesn't mean it is okay

Quote:
Of course even bringing this up is going to attract someone who'll say it's still illegal and I'm just rationalizing the illegal activity. Yeah, maybe so. So what?
That is for each individual to decide obviously, but discussing like this and on this board where illegal talk is not permitted makes this currently illegal activity seem to be ok and not what this board is about as the sister site avsforum deleted many threads like this one.

Quote:
Unlike movie "trading" online, television show "trading" really has been ignored. Intentional? Who knows.
Not true as noted in this thread in which you and others replied , pointing out how to defy the shutdowns http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=239554
and users have reported even in this thread the received cease and desist letters and then some post how to avoid detection.

Quote:
The unfortunate thing is that these kinds of things are just going to be on the edge of a rather antiquated copyright law -- where the law really hasn't kept up with technology. We're slowly seeing the copyright owners recognize there's an online market; if they succeed in meeting that market then perhaps this sort of thing will diminish greatly on its own. Of course, if they do what the record industry does -- overprice everything -- then maybe not.
All opinion of course. Ever consider that all this "free" content that people feel like they should be able to get might decrease the quality in the long run and definitely in the short run. It looks like the companies are trying to meet the market i.e. itunes, google, tvio etc. The way to protest if you want to is not steal it, just don't buy it or watch it.

Last edited by xuxa : 01-28-2006 at 12:46 AM.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #228
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,037
xuxa, give it up. You seem to show up in every thread that talks about BitTorrent and crap all over it. We get it. You think it's illegal and are trying to force your morality on the rest of us. Sure, it's probably a copyright violation. But if the copyright owner doesn't care, why should we? Obviously most people in this thread don't have a problem with it and apparently neither do the people who run the forum because it's been talked about ad nauseum for years.

You coming in this thread and trying to tell everyone they are criminals is no different than the people that show up in TV show threads and post about what a stupid show it is and why would anyone watch it? Those people get chased out of those threads for good reason and I think you should be chased out of this one. If you want to start a thread discussing the legality of downloading TV shows, go right ahead. I'll probably check it out and participate. But that's not what this thread is about. Quit crapping.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:09 AM   #229
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
xuxa, give it up. You seem to show up in every thread that talks about BitTorrent and crap all over it. We get it. You think it's illegal and are trying to force your morality on the rest of us. Sure, it's probably a copyright violation. But if the copyright owner doesn't care, why should we? Obviously most people in this thread don't have a problem with it and apparently neither do the people who run the forum because it's been talked about ad nauseum for years.

You coming in this thread and trying to tell everyone they are criminals is no different than the people that show up in TV show threads and post about what a stupid show it is and why would anyone watch it? Those people get chased out of those threads for good reason and I think you should be chased out of this one. If you want to start a thread discussing the legality of downloading TV shows, go right ahead. I'll probably check it out and participate. But that's not what this thread is about. Quit crapping.
Just because I am stating something that is be discussed here is illegal (not I think it is , it is) is not crapping on a thread

Show me a copyright holder of any of these shows discussed in this thread that doesn't care and you can "chase" me out of this thread. If the copyright holder does care shouldn't you care by that logic. Your TV thread analogy is based on opinions of the viewers liking the shows or not, not facts. This has not been talked about for years in detail like this "how to". To not state the facts in discussing this method is disingenuous to the board, thread and methods for 5 year olds

Don't kill the messenger

Last edited by xuxa : 01-28-2006 at 01:15 AM.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:31 AM   #230
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,037
Perhaps I misspoke (typed?) when I said the copyright holders don't care. Perhaps they do. However, unlike the MPAA and the RIAA, the TV studios haven't gone on the offensive to try and do anything about the sharing of TV shows. Maybe they correctly realize that it would be bad PR. Maybe the legal question is much murkier because nobody had to pay for the content in the first place. Maybe they actually like that BT gives more people the opportunity to watch their shows. In any case, the copyright holders of broadcast network TV shows are not making any effort to curtail the P2P sharing of their shows. When they do, feel free to come tell us we're being criminals. Until then, save it.

And you're not just the "messenger." Your opinion is that it's illegal. You're advocating your opinion. However, there are definite legal differences between sharing OTA TV shows and other media such as movies and music. Since there's no direct economic loss to the studios if someone downloads a TV show that they could have watched for free (and there's a good argument to be made that there is actually an economic benefit), prosecuting a copyright infringement case dealing with TV shows is going to be very difficult. Until that is successfully done, I'm not going to worry about it. You are welcome to worry about it all you like, but what's not appreciated is you telling other people what to worry about.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:37 AM   #231
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: East Hell
Posts: 9,629
If you don't like something, don't use it...
I highly doubt anyone wants to hear you on your soapbox...

As for this thread breaking rules...it's been here for 20 days...it's not like the mods haven't noticed it sitting around...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #232
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
Perhaps I misspoke (typed?) when I said the copyright holders don't care. Perhaps they do. However, unlike the MPAA and the RIAA, the TV studios haven't gone on the offensive to try and do anything about the sharing of TV shows. Maybe they correctly realize that it would be bad PR. Maybe the legal question is much murkier because nobody had to pay for the content in the first place. Maybe they actually like that BT gives more people the opportunity to watch their shows. In any case, the copyright holders of broadcast network TV shows are not making any effort to curtail the P2P sharing of their shows. When they do, feel free to come tell us we're being criminals. Until then, save it.

And you're not just the "messenger." Your opinion is that it's illegal. You're advocating your opinion. However, there are definite legal differences between sharing OTA TV shows and other media such as movies and music. Since there's no direct economic loss to the studios if someone downloads a TV show that they could have watched for free (and there's a good argument to be made that there is actually an economic benefit), prosecuting a copyright infringement case dealing with TV shows is going to be very difficult. Until that is successfully done, I'm not going to worry about it. You are welcome to worry about it all you like, but what's not appreciated is you telling other people what to worry about.
This information is so incorrect I don't know where to begin. Do you even know who is the advocate for TV shows hint four letters starts with M ends with A, and they have and will continue to "make an effort" as noted in the thread I listed and in posts in this thread via cease and desist letters to users etc. No need to save it. If you are downloading copyright files via torrents you are breaking the law.

Sticking your head in the sand is your choice but not a wise one when ignoring the facts. Keep in mind it is very very easy to get your ip when using bitorrents even using peerguardian.

Last edited by xuxa : 01-28-2006 at 03:14 AM.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:37 AM   #233
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa
This information is so incorrect I don't know where to begin. Do you even know who is the advocate for TV shows hint four letters starts with M ends with A, and they have and will continue to "make an effort" as noted in the thread I listed and in posts in this thread via cease and desist letters to users etc. No need to save it. If you are downloading copyright files via torrents you are breaking the law.

Sticking your head in the sand is your choice but not a wise one when ignoring the facts. Keep in mind it is very very easy to get your ip when using bitorrents even using peerguardian.
I'd love for you to show us some verified instances of the MPAA (or anyone else) doing anything to curb P2P sharing of TV shows. You reference cease and desist letters that have been spoken of in this thread, but that was for a movie. I do not deny that the sharing is a violation of copyright law. All I'm saying is that it would be very difficult to prosecute and therefore it's not being done.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #234
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 6,907
Hmm. Seems this thread has been successfully derailed.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:54 AM   #235
mtnagel
Registered User
 
mtnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 16,866
Back on topic. I've been checking out news groups for a few days now and I don't like how you can't really find stuff that isn't new or popular. There are a couple lesser known bands that I've heard of that I'd like to check out. They are not there. I can't even find clips of their music to see if I like it. The way it's looking now, I probably won't be keeping my subscription. I'm not that big into movies and I can rent DVD's from work for $3 and I probably average 2 a month. A couple movies I wanted to see where coming out on DVD in a week or so, so I could have waited. With music, I love many types of music, but there are other sources that have more of what I'm looking for than news groups that I've been using for awhile. So I'm not getting much out of the news groups.
__________________
Matt
mtnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #236
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=239554 for one example as I listed before.

So you even admit to violating copyright law and still see no problem with it. Looting is also difficult to prosecute.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #237
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 49,220
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=239554 for one example as I listed before.

So you even admit to violating copyright law and still see no problem with it. Looting is also difficult to prosecute.
Some people exceed the speed limit and see no problem with it.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #238
xuxa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,492
yup and some get caught, that is all i am saying. People get away with breaking the law all the time, does that make it right?

Show me somewhere where tivo went after a user for theft of service, something that is forbidden to discuss.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #239
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
It's an external hard drive that has composite outputs and a remote control so that you can play things you download right on your tv.
If you're interested in that, you might check out LaCie's Silverscreen portable drive.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:22 AM   #240
mtnagel
Registered User
 
mtnagel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 16,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns
If you're interested in that, you might check out LaCie's Silverscreen portable drive.
$50 more for 20 gigs less.
__________________
Matt
mtnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |