TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #181
MickeS

Movie studios seem to be the most dedicated to enforcing copyright rules. Haven't heard or read about anyone getting busted for TV shows, but I guess that could happen too.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #182
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Probably a lot of it has to do with that fact that the movie studios have the MPAA doing all the dirty work for them have have lots of money to do so by pooling it all together from their various member studios. And the same goes for the RIAA and music studios. I don't think the OTA and cable networks have such a body to do this.? Too expensive an undertaking for a single network or television production company to do it on their own?
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #183
JLWINE

I certainly understand using bittorant for TV shows or radio broadcasts that you missed and can't find anywhere else. But what is the advantage of paying $15 a month to be able to download, convert and burn a DVD title. Isn't paying $18 a month to Netflix much easier?
DirecTiVo HR 10-250
Anthem AVM20
Krell Amp
Sunfire Amp
MartinLogan:
>Ascent Mains
>Script Surrounds
>Logos Center
>Descent Sub
JLWINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #184
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLWINE
...what is the advantage of paying $15 a month to be able to download, convert and burn a DVD title. Isn't paying $18 a month to Netflix much easier?
Except with Netflix, you have to give the DVDs back.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #185
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I certainly understand using bittorant for TV shows or radio broadcasts that you missed and can't find anywhere else. But what is the advantage of paying $15 a month to be able to download, convert and burn a DVD title. Isn't paying $18 a month to Netflix much easier?
Ignoring legalities...

I'd guess what's available on newsgroups probably are not all out on DVD yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #186
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
The majority of the DVD are either already converted or are exact copies of the retail DVD. So, you don't have to convert them. You just burn them to a blank DVD using software like Nero. Which takes an average of 7 minutes.

You can also download software titles from the newsgroups. Not just movies and TV shows. Pc games, utilities, anti-virus, Playstation and Xbox games, ect. You can't get all that from Netflix.

Last edited by Malcontent : 01-23-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #187
mtnagel

Alright newsgroup experts. I downloaded 'something' and when I tried to run the rar files through winrar, I got a "the volume is corrupt" error and it won't create the file. What am I supposed to do now?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:44 PM   #188
ddockery

Almost everything I've gotten from newsgroups also has PAR files. Basically, one of more of your rar files are corrput. Par files help you rebuoild them properly.

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6
ddockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:49 PM   #189
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddockery
Almost everything I've gotten from newsgroups also has PAR files. Basically, one of more of your rar files are corrput. Par files help you rebuoild them properly.

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6
Damn, you beat me too it. I did finally figure out the par files and I recreated the corrupt ones. Thanks though.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #190
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude
Use your ISP's news server for starters. See what their retention limits are... and then decide if it works with what you need... or if you want to go with another service.
I think many ISPs don't provide access to the binaries newgroups. I know mine (SBC, pretty major) does not.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #191
mtnagel

Conversion question. I've been using DIKO to convert from avi to DVD. It's worked great on all my avi's so far except one but that one didn't work in AVI2DVD either, so I assume it's the file. Anyway, DIKO gives you the option to make an iso file or the video_ts folder and vob files. So which is better, using DVD Decrypter to burn the iso or Nero to burn the vob files? Or the same?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #192
mtnagel

Couple news group questions:

Is there a thing where you can request something?

And what about posting? Why would I do that? How would I do that? And wouldn't that be easy to track if you post something that is illegal to sue you?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:58 PM   #193
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Conversion question. I've been using DIKO to convert from avi to DVD. It's worked great on all my avi's so far except one but that one didn't work in AVI2DVD either, so I assume it's the file. Anyway, DIKO gives you the option to make an iso file or the video_ts folder and vob files. So which is better, using DVD Decrypter to burn the iso or Nero to burn the vob files? Or the same?
Both are fine. But DVD Decrypter does have a good reputation for burning ISO. I prefer ISO's just because they are easier to handle. ISO, is just one file to deal with. The video-ts folder, you have many files and sub folders to deal with. When ever possible, I use ISO, and DVD Decrypter to burn them.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #194
Malcontent

Quote:
Couple news group questions:

Is there a thing where you can request something?

And what about posting? Why would I do that? How would I do that? And wouldn't that be easy to track if you post something that is illegal to sue you?

Thanks!
You could post a message to a specific newsgroup requesting something you want. But honestly, I wouldn't bother. Thousands of messages are posted to newsgroups a day. It would most likey get lost (over looked).

Again, the newgroups providers don't keep logs that long. They only keep logs on posts for about 3 days (incase of spam) and then delete them. You wouldn't really need to post. Again, they don't log or monitor what you download.

Best advice is to keep checking for what you can't find at this moment. It will most likely be posted in the future.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #195
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:
Originally Posted by malutchen
I got BitComet (which i guess is very similiar) I feel ya I am clueless and your thread is just making me more confused so if you learn anything please include me I would apprecaite it!
Well.. the thread has gone a different direction of late, but Doug's suggestion of Azarus, Lee's suggestion of the TIVO converter software both worked great and were the two things I needed to get what we wanted done. We are up and running, I have now seen season 1 and all episodes of season 2 to date of Grey's Anatomy.

So thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scubagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #196
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal
Well.. the thread has gone a different direction of late, but Doug's suggestion of Azarus, Lee's suggestion of the TIVO converter software both worked great and were the two things I needed to get what we wanted done. We are up and running, I have now seen season 1 and all episodes of season 2 to date of Grey's Anatomy.

So thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about the switch in topic, but I think they are in a similar vein.

Oh and thanks for responding Malcontent!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:12 PM   #197
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:
Sorry about the switch in topic, but I think they are in a similar vein.

Oh and thanks for responding Malcontent!
Don't be sorry!!!! My question(s) were answered, happy to see the thread with more info alive... I am sure these shall be my next questions, as I get more savvy in my downloading
scubagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #198
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markman07
Has anyone heard of anyone getting a letter for downloading an OTA tv show using BitTorrent?
While the movie studios and record companies stand to lose money from people using P2P services, OTA broadcasters actually can benefit from it. Sure, they own the copyright and could still attempt to pursue an infringement suit, but the fact that the content was publicly available for free would make it a difficult case to prosecute, and if people are able to download shows to catch up on episodes they missed, it increases the potential audience for the next episode that airs. Scubagal is a perfect example: were it not for bittorrent, she and her husband would not be watching the next episode of Grey's Anatomy, but thanks to it, they are now hooked. ABC lost nothing by the show being available for downloading and therefore it wouldn't be in their best interest to try to discourage this.

Sure, it could get to a point where too many people are downloading and it's hurting the on-air viewership of the show (thus hurting the advertising revenue), but in the mean time, it's still in the networks' best interest to let it be.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #199
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
While the movie studios and record companies stand to lose money from people using P2P services, OTA broadcasters actually can benefit from it. Sure, they own the copyright and could still attempt to pursue an infringement suit, but the fact that the content was publicly available for free would make it a difficult case to prosecute, and if people are able to download shows to catch up on episodes they missed, it increases the potential audience for the next episode that airs. Scubagal is a perfect example: were it not for bittorrent, she and her husband would not be watching the next episode of Grey's Anatomy, but thanks to it, they are now hooked. ABC lost nothing by the show being available for downloading and therefore it wouldn't be in their best interest to try to discourage this.

Sure, it could get to a point where too many people are downloading and it's hurting the on-air viewership of the show (thus hurting the advertising revenue), but in the mean time, it's still in the networks' best interest to let it be.
So what would your take on downloading from HBO, Showtime, etc. be?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #200
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Don't know where they stand legally, but HBO definitely hates it. They are (were?) deliberately seeding fake bittorrents of their shows in order to exasperate and frustrate downloaders. i.e., they'd seed a file giving it a nice name and appropiate size that looks like the latest episode of "Entourage" or "Rome". People go through the time to download it only to find out that it's just a garbage binary file that doesn't play.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #201
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Sure, it could get to a point where too many people are downloading and it's hurting the on-air viewership of the show (thus hurting the advertising revenue).
And costing them potential DVD sales, too, probably.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #202
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
From a prosecution standpoint, they have a much better case. Their content was not originally available for free and their revenue does not come from advertising but rather from subscriptions. However, the potential still remains for someone to get hooked on a show through P2P and then subscribe later where they otherwise would have had no interest in subscribing if they hadn't watched the show via P2P. Overall, however, I'd say that it would be frowned on much more than OTA TV broadcasts.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #203
mtnagel

Quote:
From a prosecution standpoint, they have a much better case. Their content was not originally available for free and their revenue does not come from advertising but rather from subscriptions. However, the potential still remains for someone to get hooked on a show through P2P and then subscribe later where they otherwise would have had no interest in subscribing if they hadn't watched the show via P2P. Overall, however, I'd say that it would be frowned on much more than OTA TV broadcasts.
But couldn't you say the same thing about music? And the RIAA isn't buying that. Chances are if you are downloading the Sopranos, you will just continue to do it and never subscribe.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 PM   #204
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
But couldn't you say the same thing about music? And the RIAA isn't buying that. Chances are if you are downloading the Sopranos, you will just continue to do it and never subscribe.
I agree. It's more likely that if you watched the show for free, you're not likely to start paying for it. Therefore, downloading shows that originally aired on pay channels is much more like downloading music than downloading OTA TV shows is.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #205
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I agree. It's more likely that if you watched the show for free, you're not likely to start paying for it. Therefore, downloading shows that originally aired on pay channels is much more like downloading music than downloading OTA TV shows is.
Of course if you subscribe to the specific pay channel -- and moreso if you've always subscribed to it like since before the series in question was even a concept in the mind of its creator -- then you jump into wonderful arguments about the whole issue that will never be settled until someone with money gets sued for it.

Usually, however, the complicating factor isn't just your consumption of downloaded material, but the fact you're also indiscriminately sharing the same material with others. With that in mind, the newsgroup method would likely be the safest refuge for someone doing this in large quantities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #206
The Flush
Anonymous User

You can always go to the library and check out DVDs for free and rip/burn with DVD Decryptor or DVD Shrink. A friend who was not into Arrested Development borrowed my Season 1 DVDs and then got the second season from the library since I have bought it yet.
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #207
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

I've read most of the messages in here...and just a few pointers...
If you're looking for a modded/hacked-up Xbox, go to http://www.xbox-scene.org ...it's the best Xbox modding site around, they have a Buy/Sell/Trade forum there as well, just make sure you get references from people if you're looking to buy...
I just downloaded Videora and will give it a try...I've also had success converting files with Nero Vision and WinAvi...
And...reality is...you could be busted anytime for downloading anything of "gray market" calibur...but chances are that it won't happen, the whole thing with the RIAA and movie studios tracking people down gets overblown by the media in order to cause paranoia...as long as you take precautions, you should be fine...bit torrent is still more under the radar than most peer-to-peer apps...
http://www.xtvi.com/ also seems to be a decent TV torrent tracker...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:21 PM   #208
Malcontent

Tv shows- Newsgroups

Check this site out if your looking for Tv shows and use the Newsgroups to get episodes.

http://www.tvnzb.com/nzb
Old 01-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #209
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent
Check this site out if your looking for Tv shows and use the Newsgroups to get episodes.

http://www.tvnzb.com/nzb
That's a rather rude thing to say about TiVo that they have in their banner.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:41 AM   #210
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
That's a rather rude thing to say about TiVo that they have in their banner.

Yeah, I know. But I stopped being offended when I saw all the tv shows I can download. Many of which I wish I programmed my Tivo to record. It's a nice way to play catch up.