TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #151
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Yeah, if you right-click on the file in Windows Explorer, and choose "Properties" and "Summary"-> "advanced", it should say the height and width there. Just divide the height by the width and you'll get the aspect ratio.
Yes, that works. My most recent movie shows 624 by 256 pixels. That divides to 2.4 which doesn't seem to be either 16:9 or 4:3. Something else, I guess?

No mention of codec used in audio section of the properties so I don't know how to solve the audio problem in Windows.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #152
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi
Yes, that works. My most recent movie shows 624 by 256 pixels. That divides to 2.4 which doesn't seem to be either 16:9 or 4:3. Something else, I guess?

No mention of codec used in audio section of the properties so I don't know how to solve the audio problem in Windows.
Sounds like 2.35 to 1, which would be a widescreen movie.
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #153
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Success!!!

Following all of the directions, I was able to watch West Wing and House on my TiVo from a torrent d/l. Had no problem with WW (jumped slightly in 2 places) and House's audio was slightly ahead of the video; but when I look at the WMP file, it was slightly ahead there as well... so it would appear to be just a "bad rip".

Amazing - thanks to all for the instructions (and to TiVo for doing GoBack). Wonder if they knew that it was going to be used like this (and is why they aren't saying much about it)?

Jeff
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #154
MickeS

efillipi, sorry I can't help you with that one...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #155
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
"NBS" and "FOV" are referring to the group of folks who are doing the captures and encodings which often helps people identify levels of quality when comparing multiple possible downloads.
I have been told this is also a good idea when you're buying used car stereo systems. Some groups of folks capture the entire wiring harness and all the connectors, others simply cut the wires. At the lowest quality, they just yank them out and run, and god knows what you're going to get.

It's always good to be able to identify levels of quality when comparing multiple possible sources.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #156
keyzersoce

A word of warning: My son downloaded a movie a while ago. We just got a notice from our service provider that the releasing studio has tracked the download to our computer. The letter was one of those sreongly worded, legal "cut it out" forms. They say they haven't released any names yet, but they haven't been asked, either. Therefore, I suggest people use peerguardian, which we have just installed.
keyzersoce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #157
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyzersoce
A word of warning: My son downloaded a movie a while ago. We just got a notice from our service provider that the releasing studio has tracked the download to our computer. The letter was one of those sreongly worded, legal "cut it out" forms. They say they haven't released any names yet, but they haven't been asked, either. Therefore, I suggest people use peerguardian, which we have just installed.
Wow. That sucks. Was it really, "a movie" and not many movies?
Old 01-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #158
tase2
Shy Guy

First comment-this is a great and very informative thread. I have read up through around post 90 or so. As I have to leave now, I apologize if this has been asked and answered. Just give me a post # or something if so. e

This is my situation. I downloaded a concert video through utorrent and is now sitting on my hard drive 2.4gb. As I have an HR10-250 as my only Tivo, I believe I have no chance of viewing the video on my Tivo.(Please, Please correct me if this is wrong). I know I can watch it on my PC, but much prefer to watch it on my TV.

So I assume my only choice is to burn it to DVD and play it in my DVDplayer.
I have PowerDVD v.6 and the latest upgrade of Nero 6.

How do I burn what I believe is a MPEG video file from my HD to the DVD-R so I can play it in my home DVD player (Sony DVPNS50 DVD)?
tase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:46 PM   #159
keyzersoce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Wow. That sucks. Was it really, "a movie" and not many movies?
Yes. I usually download BBC shows, unavailable in the US, through UKNova.com. We have always used Netflix or our local video store to rent anything we wanted to see. Apparently, he and a friend were experimenting one night and downloaded a movie, just to see if they could. It just happened to be from a studio which is actively tracking downloads of their films.

As my dad used to say: When a flock of ducks pass overhead, you just point your rifle at them and pull the trigger, hoping you'll hit one. Today, you turned out to be the duck.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:54 PM   #160
mtnagel

Quote:
Yes. I usually download BBC shows, unavailable in the US, through UKNova.com. We have always used Netflix or our local video store to rent anything we wanted to see. Apparently, he and a friend were experimenting one night and downloaded a movie, just to see if they could. It just happened to be from a studio which is actively tracking downloads of their films.

As my dad used to say: When a flock of ducks pass overhead, you just point your rifle at them and pull the trigger, hoping you'll hit one. Today, you turned out to be the duck.
What was the studio?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:00 PM   #161
keyzersoce

Quote:
What was the studio?

Avoiding the mention of any names, let's just say Spielberg, Geffen and Katzenberg are involved.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #162
MickeS

So, Paramount then?
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #163
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:

And the duck who gets hit is an innocent duck who rents or buys the things it wants unless it's not available to it. Oh, maybe the duck occasionally downloads a movie that it could rent at their video store, but the duck does not stop renting other movies. The duck rents as many movies as it can afford to rent, and this is something that the rifle owners will never understand.

There are bad ducks out there who will never pay for anything. But they've been around since the invention of the cassette tape and they will always be around, but they are not costing anyone any money. If those ducks could not get their movies/music for free, they would not go out and buy them. The industry will never get this, they didn't get it when cassettes became widely used, and they will not get it when they have destroyed bittorrent and some other method becomes available.

edit - sorry for the extended duck metaphor.

Last edited by Mabes : 01-21-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #164
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:
I'm sure you know this, but others may not - using Peer Guardian does nothing to stop such warning letters, it does not hide your internet activity, it only makes prosecution difficult if you happen to get sued.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #165
tase2
Shy Guy

That sucks keyzersoce

You talk about bad timing on a post.

Any suggestions for my burning question?
tase2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #166
lee espinoza
some guy

I have use bittorrnet(for over a 1 year) and NEVER got a call from my ISP(At&t/SBC) to "cut it out" but like keyzersoce dad said one day i may be the duck.
lee espinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:45 AM   #167
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Arrow News Groups

Quote:
I would recommend that people out there to seriously look into using Newsgroups to download their movies and TV shows. It's a lot safer and faster. I pay $15 a month for a Newsgroups provider and I download at full speed and 100% without worry. There is a lot more stuff on the Newsgroups then there are on Bittorrent. Although it's a little bit more complicated process to learn then Bittorrent and does require a monthly cost to a Newgroups provider, the speed and peace of mind are worth it.

Here, check out these websites to give you an idea of how to get started with using newsgroups.

http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/newsgroupguide/

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Last edited by Malcontent : 01-22-2006 at 07:10 AM.
Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #168
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent
I would recommend that people out there to seriously look into using Newsgroups to download their movies and TV shows. It's a lot safer and faster. I pay $15 a month for a Newsgroups provider and I download at full speed and 100% without worry. There is a lot more stuff on the Newsgroups then there are on Bittorrent. Although it's a little bit more complicated process to learn then Bittorrent and does require a monthly cost to a Newgroups provider, the speed and peace of mind are worth it.

Here, check out these websites to give you an idea of how to get started with using newsgroups.

http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/newsgroupguide/

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php
Couldn't the movie studios monitor that too? Or are you anonymous when you download something? No way to be tracked?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #169
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Couldn't the movie studios monitor that too? Or are you anonymous when you download something? No way to be tracked?
Not anywhere nearly as easily; the only records that might exist are with the newsgroup provider and the only way they could access them is be working with the newsgroup provider. And there's tens of thousands, if not more, newsgroup providers... and it's voluminous, but possible, to just take newsgroup feeds and then you get most everything which makes it more difficult once more to prove specific interest/use of just one portion of it. And that's assuming the newsgroup provider actually has logging turned on.

P2P protocols communicate with peers, so all a movie studio need do is become a peer within the protocol being monitored and then record IP addresses to identify people who minimally had an interest in a given file; then they technically need to monitor and witness that IP address disseminating some portion of their copyrighted material (which is where SafePeer or PeerGuardian enter the picture by blocking such transfers to large blocks of IP addresses associated with media companies and related groups).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #170
Malcontent

Quote:
It would be very difficult for the studios to monitor you on newsgroups. I have not heard one story of anyone being busted for downloading movies from a newsgroup. Unlike Bittorrent, your not downloading or uploading from or to other people. Your downloading from your newsgroup provider. When you download with Bittorrent, other people can see your internet address. This doesn't happen with downloading from the newsgroups. Most of the big newsgroup providers (Newshosting, GigaNews) don't keep any logs or monitor WHAT you download. It's in their best interest not to record or monitor what you download. So, your pretty much anonymous while downloading from newsgroups. Newsgroups are just too large and decentralized to monitor. It's by far the safest way to download.

I know others here use newsgroups. I'm sure they will comfirm all this.

Last edited by Malcontent : 01-22-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #171
nedthelab

No Audio

Hello,

I recently downlaoded a couple of Stargate eps that I missed, they came down fine as AVI files, when loading into media player I quickly see an error downloading CODEC and then the image plays fine but no audio, I can not tell what Codec might be missing - any advice?

Thanks
nedthelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #172
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Probably DIVX or xVid ...

In my short BT history, I believe that some (most?) of the files will show what codec was used in the file's header.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #173
nedthelab

audi issue

I used DIVX as the player and is showed missing auido tag 8192 aquick search brought me to free-codec.com and low and behold that message means no AC3 filter- 2 mins later a quick download and audio is there
nedthelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #174
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Not anywhere nearly as easily; the only records that might exist are with the newsgroup provider and the only way they could access them is be working with the newsgroup provider. And there's tens of thousands, if not more, newsgroup providers... and it's voluminous, but possible, to just take newsgroup feeds and then you get most everything which makes it more difficult once more to prove specific interest/use of just one portion of it. And that's assuming the newsgroup provider actually has logging turned on.

P2P protocols communicate with peers, so all a movie studio need do is become a peer within the protocol being monitored and then record IP addresses to identify people who minimally had an interest in a given file; then they technically need to monitor and witness that IP address disseminating some portion of their copyrighted material (which is where SafePeer or PeerGuardian enter the picture by blocking such transfers to large blocks of IP addresses associated with media companies and related groups).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent
It would be very difficult for the studios to monitor you on newsgroups. I have not heard one story of anyone being busted for downloading movies from a newsgroup. Unlike Bittorrent, your not downloading or uploading from or to other people. Your downloading from your newsgroup provider. When you download with Bittorrent, other people can see your internet address. This doesn't happen with downloading from the newsgroups. Most of the big newsgroup providers (Newshosting, GigaNews) don't keep any logs or monitor WHAT you download. It's in their best interest not to record or monitor what you download. So, your pretty much anonymous while downloading from newsgroups. Newsgroups are just too large and decentralized to monitor. It's by far the safest way to download.

I know others here use newsgroups. I'm sure they will comfirm all this.
Alright, you guys convinced me to give this a try. Maybe I should start a "walk me through newgroups like I'm a 5 year old" thread, but I read through the guides you posted Malcontent and there are several choices of things, like subsribe to newzbin (costs $0.50) or use a free one (which one?) Also, which news server should I use? I don't anticipate downloaing much, but some plans have limits like 20 gb for $10 a month. That sounds like a lot, but for something like a movie, is it compressed at all like with the avi's with bittorrent or are they full size? If they are like 4 gb, then that's only 5 movies a month. So I don't know how much would be enough.

I guess I'm looking to start off as cheap as possible to just get my feet wet. Thanks for any tips.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #175
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Matt...

Use your ISP's news server for starters. See what their retention limits are... and then decide if it works with what you need... or if you want to go with another service.

It also appears that newzbin is a good service as well (especially if you are used to a bit torrent style of info).

Jeff
Old 01-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #176
Malcontent

Quote:
Alright, you guys convinced me to give this a try. Maybe I should start a "walk me through newgroups like I'm a 5 year old" thread, but I read through the guides you posted Malcontent and there are several choices of things, like subsribe to newzbin (costs $0.50) or use a free one (which one?) Also, which news server should I use? I don't anticipate downloaing much, but some plans have limits like 20 gb for $10 a month. That sounds like a lot, but for something like a movie, is it compressed at all like with the avi's with bittorrent or are they full size? If they are like 4 gb, then that's only 5 movies a month. So I don't know how much would be enough.

I guess I'm looking to start off as cheap as possible to just get my feet wet. Thanks for any tips.
I use www.newshosting.com as my newsgroup provider. I find them reliable and economical. And I would suggest http://www.newzbin.com/ I subscribe to them also.

I would suggest you start off with just the 10gig for $10 from Newshosting. And one month of newzbin.com for $2.00 for one month of service. You will be able to try this out for a month for a total cost of $12. If after a month you like it you can always increase your newshosting.com limit if you need too and can renew newzbin for another month. If this doesn't work out, your only out $12.

You are correct that an average DVD movie is 4 gigs in size. An average 1 hour tv show is around 350 megs in size. If you get the hang of this and like it, I feel that you will most likely would be better off going for the 'Unlimited" plan from Newshosting.com. For $14.95 a month, you can download an unlimited amount of giga bytes a month. I have the unlimited plan. Believe me, just downloading 2 DVD's a month is more then enough to make the $14.95 a month worth it. An average new DVD cost at least $20.

But I suggest you start off slow at first until you get the hang of it. Again, go with the 10 gigs for $10 and one month of Newzbin for $2. You can always upgrade your Newshosting.com plan at any time.

Last edited by Malcontent : 01-22-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 PM   #177
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

I use Agent Premium News. They have good retention and just increased their download limits. Their accounts start at $2.95/month for 7 gb. They also make an excellent newsreader called Agent. However I use Newsbin (not Newzbin) for downloading stuff.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #178
mtnagel

Thanks for the guys about news groups. I'll give it a try tomorrow probably.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #179
Markman07

Has anyone heard of anyone getting a letter for downloading an OTA tv show using BitTorrent?

Inventory to Follow....

1 HR10-250 (Zippered - Thanks Gunny)
2 Directivo Series 2 (Zippered - Hey Gunny...Thanks)
1 HR20 - Like it but locks up too much)
Score Tivo 3 - Other HD DVR 1
Markman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #180
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markman07
Has anyone heard of anyone getting a letter for downloading an OTA tv show using BitTorrent?
Not 100% sure, but I just thought it was movies and music.