Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #31
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan
Once you have the file downloaded, you can do what you want with it (convert it, burn it to DVD, etc). BT is precisely why I am looking to buy a DVD player that supports divx.
Ok.. this is what I think I need to do. Convert the mpg file downloaded and then we should be able to watch it from the Tivo? Now, we keep getting the error file not found or something, but from what I read somewhere... that is because it isn't the right format.

Am I going in the right direction?
scubagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #32
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
So... it's been 2 1/2 days since scubagal asked, and not a peep from her...

I'm surprised. Hope all is OK. Surely she knows you don't need to wait 2 1/2 days for answers to most requests here!

Ha! I know... but this is MrScuba's project and he isn't as lickety split on working on this.... he finally downloaded a test.... (Girls gone wild- um.. yeah)... and then today tried to watch it.

But he is obsessed now and refuses to get his own Tivo acct... so I am playing the middle man

But I really do thank you for all your help!!!!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #33
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal
Ok.. this is what I think I need to do. Convert the mpg file downloaded and then we should be able to watch it from the Tivo? Now, we keep getting the error file not found or something, but from what I read somewhere... that is because it isn't the right format.

Am I going in the right direction?
Getting it into your TiVo is going to be another layer of work, and another loss of quality. Most of the TV shows I've downloaded have been in DiVx format ( still an AVI extension). Many times they're from HDTV content so I've downloaded stuff that's better quality than my DirecTiVo usually shows me.
While it's possible to convert that yet again into a TiVo friendly MPEG you're going to take a hit. Usually watching on the computer is the way to go. I ended up with a Mac Mini that's connected to my TV so I just watch downloaded stuff directly from it.
There are a few DVD players that will play DiVx content, and some other external hard drive media things. But if you had any of those you'd be up on DiVx already.

If you're going to be downloading much video, you're probably better off finding some way to connect the PC to the TV screen. Then you won't care what format its in and won't spend 45 mins to convert an hour show each time.
Idearat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #34
lee espinoza
some guy

the Videora TiVo Converter will make any file into a .MPG
http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/TiVo/
lee espinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #35
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Wait. Are you people saying there's a way to transfer files from a computer to the TiVo? I've heard that "TiVo to Come Back" was in the works, but didn't know it was available yet. Is this what you're talking about?

On another note, why would you want to transfer these files to the TiVo? It's much easier to watch them on the computer and they're usually far better in quality. The stuff I download looks pristine while the stuff I transfer to my computer via TiVoToGo looks horrendous.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:56 AM   #36
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
Wait. Are you people saying there's a way to transfer files from a computer to the TiVo? I've heard that "TiVo to Come Back" was in the works, but didn't know it was available yet. Is this what you're talking about?

On another note, why would you want to transfer these files to the TiVo? It's much easier to watch them on the computer and they're usually far better in quality. The stuff I download looks pristine while the stuff I transfer to my computer via TiVoToGo looks horrendous.
The only time I bother converting downloaded video is if I really need to dump it to DVD for someone who is never going to figure out how to watch it on their computer. It's never as good as a high quality DiVx file from an HDTV source though.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:37 AM   #37
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
Are you people saying there's a way to transfer files from a computer to the TiVo?
Yes, you just ...
Quote:
why would you want to transfer these files to the TiVo?
... OK, never mind.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #38
crowfan
The Dude abides

I just bought the Phillips DVP 642 DVD player. It plays DivX files. I just take the AVI files that I get off BT, burn them to DVD, and the Philips plays them. Works and looks great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #39
THEROCKER

What other programs can be used to convert avi to mpeg? Every program I use for that purpose is so slow. They take a dozen hours to do a full length movie. I've always wanted to watch my torrents on my Roku HD1000 but it only plays Mpegs. Thanks.

Last edited by THEROCKER : 01-11-2006 at 09:44 AM.
THEROCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #40
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROCKER
What other programs can be used to convert avi to mpeg? Every program I use for that purpose is so slow. They take a dozen hours to do a full length movie. I've always wanted to watch my torrents on my Roky HD1000 but it only plays Mpegs. Thanks.
I just purchased WinAVI Video Converter http://www.winavi.com that does it, and works fast. I converted a 2-hour show (well ok it had commercials removed so it was about 1.2 hours) in about 20 minutes from AVI to MPG2. You can download a trial that will convert things but put an annoying watermark on your movie.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #41
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

What about converting VOB to AVI? I'm skeptical there is a free solution, in which case it's not worth it to me, I'll keep them on my hard drive.
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 AM   #42
Guindalf
Now with added dalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpauley
Don't use Azureus, it's a resource hog (darn java depenencies) Give utorrent a try. Its small light weight and darn fast...
Hmmm, I only manage to download at 320k/s with Azureus. Perhaps I should switch???
Guindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #43
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:

We don't want to watch them on the computer... we basically are just trying to catch up one shows we missed the first few episodes, etc to get caught up.... so we were hoping we could download the shows, watch them together on the TV, get caught up, then delete.... I guess that isn't going to happen!?!??!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #44
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
We don't want to watch them on the computer... we basically are just trying to catch up one shows we missed the first few episodes, etc to get caught up.... so we were hoping we could download the shows, watch them together on the TV, get caught up, then delete.... I guess that isn't going to happen!?!??!
Once you download the episodes, you need to convert them to MPG2 and then you can use TiVo2GoBack to get them from your computer to your TiVo. There's been talk of programs already in this thread that will do this conversion for you. I think people here have been waiting to see what questions/problems you are having with the BitTorrent step first though. Once you get that working and have a file, we could tell you what to do next.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #45
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude
Once you download the episodes, you need to convert them to MPG2 and then you can use TiVo2GoBack to get them from your computer to your TiVo. There's been talk of programs already in this thread that will do this conversion for you. I think people here have been waiting to see what questions/problems you are having with the BitTorrent step first though. Once you get that working and have a file, we could tell you what to do next.
I am past that.. Doug's program worked great (earlier post on this thread).. now we downloaded a few things, they won't play or transfer- we tried converting it to a MPEG2, but I guess we didn't do it right, it said it was transfering, but when we go to play it, it is 0 seconds and nothing to play....
Old 01-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #46
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
we downloaded a few things, they won't play or transfer- we tried converting it to a MPEG2, but I guess we didn't do it right, it said it was transfering, but when we go to play it, it is 0 seconds and nothing to play....
Most of what you find to download will be .avi files. Tivoserver running on your Mac or pc will make those .avi files available to your Tivo just as if they were native tivo files.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #47
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I just did the sending to TiVo for the first time yesterday too You do need to convert them to MPG2, but you have to use the settings from http://customersupport.tivo.com/know.../tv251080.htm?
It won't work otherwise. Lee Espinoza posted a few posts ago a program that converts the file for you into these settings although I havn't used it.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #48
JTAnderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabes
What about converting VOB to AVI? I'm skeptical there is a free solution, in which case it's not worth it to me, I'll keep them on my hard drive.
You could try Virtualdub-MPEG2.
JTAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #49
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan
I just bought the Phillips DVP 642 DVD player. It plays DivX files. I just take the AVI files that I get off BT, burn them to DVD, and the Philips plays them. Works and looks great.
Same here. I have two of them in fact; one for the livingroom and ended up getting another for the bedroom a couple months later. They're only something like $68 at Target.

Well worth the price, imo - previously, both my PC and I were spending way too much time re-encoding the divx files to mpg to play on my old DVD player. I now have a DVD+RW labled "torrents" that I continually copy fresh downloads to for viewing on the player.

The user interface of the DVP642 is a bit clunky when trying to select a file to play back. And trying to go back to the list of files when its playing something can be slow. But it's very reliable - has been able to play almost every divx and xvid file I've thrown at it with just a few exceptions. Good picture, too, progressive-scan and all.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #50
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux
Most of what you find to download will be .avi files. Tivoserver running on your Mac or pc will make those .avi files available to your Tivo just as if they were native tivo files.
Hmm... this doesn't seem to be working, I downloaded a Greys Anatomy .avi file and it isn't even showing up in my 'Tivo Recording' file. The mpg is showing up, but not the AVI file, so this leads me to believe, we need to keep working on the converting... the one converter we tried obviously didnt convert it to mpeg2, or we don't have the right settings someone posted elsewhere in this thread.

SO frustrating... It isn't like I want to download a 100 things, just a few episodes of shows I missed
Old 01-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #51
crowfan
The Dude abides

I think Redux may be talking about a hacked TiVo....not sure though.

The troubles that you're having is exactly why I dropped $60 on a new DVD player. It was too much work and time to convert them all. Now I can just throw them on a disk and watch them that way.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #52
scubagal
won't read stickies

I am almost at the point crowfan.. really, I am.

I am using the software that Lee suggested, if this doesn't work, I give up.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:35 PM   #53
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux
Unfortunately this is probably not going to be true. AVI isn't "Standard" by a long shot. You've got to have the appropriate CODEC for it to work. Something might play MPEG1 or MPEG2 AVIs, but not work with DiVx or others. Even if you can decode DiVx, you might not get the audio to work if the audio is AC3.

From it's Wikipedia entry:
An AVI file may therefore carry audio/visual data inside the chunks in almost any compression scheme, including: Full Frames (Uncompressed), Intel Real Time Video, Indeo, Cinepak, Motion JPEG, Editable MPEG, VDOWave, ClearVideo / RealVideo, QPEG, MPEG-4, XviD, DivX and others.

If using a computer, the player such as Windows Media or Quicktime will usually try to download the proper CODEC if it's not there when you try to play it. Once you've got the right CODEC, AVIs will all look the same to you, but doesn't mean they are.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #54
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I generally just watch them on my computer. Occasionally I'll burn a CD or DVD and watch it on the 50" plasma. I have the Philips DVP642 and it really is a nice convenience to be able to just burn MPEG2/4/DivX files as is to a CD or DVD. I'd picked one up at BJ's for about $59, then picked up another one later just as a spare.

debtoine just pointed out this player to me today: Oppo OPDV971H 720p/1080i Upscaling DVD Player

It upconverts to 720p or 1080i, but more importantly also plays DivX and seems to have decent reviews. It's a bit more at $199, though.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #55
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Scuba, I'm unclear as to whether you were ever able to view the torrents that you downloaded. Were you able to view them on the computer but you want to figure out a way to play them on your TV? Or have you not even been able to get them to play on your computer yet? If it's the latter, a couple of CODECs are all you need. Then you can at least watch the shows and see how they look. Then you can decide if it's really that big of a hassle to watch on the computer vs. going through all the extra hassle to get the file to your TV.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #56
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat
Unfortunately this is probably not going to be true. AVI isn't "Standard" by a long shot. You've got to have the appropriate CODEC for it to work. Something might play MPEG1 or MPEG2 AVIs, but not work with DiVx or others. Even if you can decode DiVx, you might not get the audio to work if the audio is AC3.
I'm very confused by this. Who is this "you" that you seem to think is going to have to decode something?

Yes, it is certainly quite possible that she'll eventually run into some show in the .avi wrapper that Tivoserver can't handle automatically, but it should be somewhat seldom; hasn't happened to me yet. When/if it happens, you can look into codecs and other methodologies if the specific show is important enough. Or you just discard it and get on with your life.

From a user perspective, the .avi is just _there_ like any other tivo file. There is no codec issue that the user needs to be aware of.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 AM   #57
lee espinoza
some guy

Quote:
I am almost at the point crowfan.. really, I am.

I am using the software that Lee suggested, if this doesn't work, I give up.
Thank you. I will be happy the software that I suggested might make you give up
lee espinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #58
Vito the TiVo
Rockin' the Suburbs

For playback of those torrents on a TV, try this:

http://www.supergooddeal.com/product_p/pmpeg4-15.htm

if you use it enough, it really is a good deal. I have one and it works awesome. Use it like a hard drive, dump your files on it in Xvid (or whatever) format, plug it in at the TV and use the remote to playback. Its the best money i've ever spent (after TiVo of course)

I feel I should say I've only had an occasional problem with a badly encoded episode or a huge HD feed. The occasional skip is usually ironed out with reencoding the audion in VirtuaDub.

Oh and the one that I got is 40gb for slightly more, but that was months ago and I don't see that product on the web. But the additional storage is really only for convienence... I mean how much can you watch at once?
Vito the TiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #59
scubagal
won't read stickies

Quote:
Scuba, I'm unclear as to whether you were ever able to view the torrents that you downloaded. Were you able to view them on the computer but you want to figure out a way to play them on your TV? Or have you not even been able to get them to play on your computer yet? If it's the latter, a couple of CODECs are all you need. Then you can at least watch the shows and see how they look. Then you can decide if it's really that big of a hassle to watch on the computer vs. going through all the extra hassle to get the file to your TV.
They were fine on the computer, can't get to the tivo.

But we have success! thanks EVERYONE in this thread.... especially Lee's software, because that worked.

Unfortunetly, our first download/convert/transfer happened to be Greys Anatomy in Spanish.... but at least we were able to successfully get it onto the tivo, even if we didn't catch we downloaded a non-english version...

I am not having much luck finding what I want on isohunt, not sure if it is just a smaller selection, but since it is so easy.... don't know, have to play more with Azures to see if I can use different search sites... but so far, I think we have solved our problem!!! Yeah!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #60
dennisacevedo

Quote:
I am not having much luck finding what I want on isohunt, not sure if it is just a smaller selection, but since it is so easy....
Some other torrent sites to try:

mininova (dot) org
torrentspy (dot) com
thepiratebay (dot) org

(i can't post URLs yet...)

Also, another good place to find shows is eMule.

emuleplus (dot) info

It's not a BitTorrent program, but IMO the best P2P available right now - like old-school napster, or Kazaa but without the spyware. Much better for older stuff too. e.g. Last night I found an old episode of Oprah with James Frey (Million Little Pieces) from October.
dennisacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote