TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #421
Enrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
I just made the switch from Cable vision to FiOS and I'm having difficulty opening up a port for Azerus. I have a Actiontect modem/router version number MI424-WR Rev C. I followed the steps using portfoward.com but I still can't seem to get it to work.
You might want to disable UPnP (in Azureus > Tools > Options > Plugins > UPnP) and see if that works.

what port are you using?
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #422
ufo4sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique View Post
You might want to disable UPnP (in Azureus > Tools > Options > Plugins > UPnP) and see if that works.

what port are you using?
I tried a couple of ports but none of them seem to be working. The one it's set to now is 62486.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #423
ufo4sale

I got it to work. Thanks.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #424
efilippi

No fair. You have to tell us what you did to fix it.
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #425
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoFan View Post
Coming up on the two year anniversary of this thread. Isn't it time to end it yet?
Why?
For noobs to the torrent scene, this is a very helpful thread.

Wii Number: 3383 8422 0846 8843
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #426
flaminio

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Why?
For noobs to the torrent scene, this is a very helpful thread.
I agree. I just stumbled across this thread today, and the combination of a torrent client + torrent site + Videora TiVo Converter is making for a very happy TiVo household over here today.

Thanks to all who posted cool stuff, and especially thanks to all who asked the dumb questions so I didn't have to !
Old 01-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #427
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

OK, whenever I use uTorrent, it says I have a problem with my connection: there is a yellow triangle with a "!" in it. My laptop does not seem to have that problem, and the speeds can be blazing (up to 400), but I'm lucky to get 150 on my desktop, and it never stays that fast. I've tried port forwarding, but can't seem to get it to work.

This thread is 14 pages long, and I can't find the right info. Can someone help me?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #428
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
OK, whenever I use uTorrent, it says I have a problem with my connection: there is a yellow triangle with a "!" in it. My laptop does not seem to have that problem, and the speeds can be blazing (up to 400), but I'm lucky to get 150 on my desktop, and it never stays that fast. I've tried port forwarding, but can't seem to get it to work.

This thread is 14 pages long, and I can't find the right info. Can someone help me?

Thanks
Sounds like a DHT issue.
Is the port forwarded correctly through your firewall? (Both TCP and UDP)
You should have encrypting enabled in uTorrent.
This thread used to be helpful, but the link in the first post no longer works. Still, those forums are helpful.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #429
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Definitely don't close this thread.

I just did a search to see what I could learn about torrents and this looks like a great thread. The only issue being that the info is up to two years old and might be outdated. I'm still gonna give it a shot though.

I'm tempted to start a new thread for up-to-date latest sites, clients and tips. I'll give this thread a thorough read first though.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #430
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Definitely don't close this thread.

I just did a search to see what I could learn about torrents and this looks like a great thread. The only issue being that the info is up to two years old and might be outdated. I'm still gonna give it a shot though.

I'm tempted to start a new thread for up-to-date latest sites, clients and tips. I'll give this thread a thorough read first though.
To me, setting up a client looks much more difficult than it actually is.
Once you actually go through it, it's fairly easy. The most difficult part is making sure that all of the ports are open for your firewall.

I recommend:
Client - uTorrent (plus Peer Guardian 2, even if the Vista version may permanently be in beta...like Gmail...or perhaps it's vaporware)

Trackers - mininova.org will suffice for most all non-obscure torrents...as will isohunt.com. There's also always thepiratebay.org, although I've never really used it all that much. For TV, eztv.it is solid as well. Those are all public trackers. There are all sorts of private trackers for various specialized torrents, or if you just dig trackers with ratio enforcement. Usually a Google search will point you in the right direction of anything you can't find.

Tips - I like this guide.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #431
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
To me, setting up a client looks much more difficult than it actually is.
Once you actually go through it, it's fairly easy. The most difficult part is making sure that all of the ports are open for your firewall.

I recommend:
Client - uTorrent (plus Peer Guardian 2, even if the Vista version may permanently be in beta...like Gmail...or perhaps it's vaporware)

Trackers - mininova.org will suffice for most all non-obscure torrents...as will isohunt.com. There's also always thepiratebay.org, although I've never really used it all that much. For TV, eztv.it is solid as well. Those are all public trackers. There are all sorts of private trackers for various specialized torrents, or if you just dig trackers with ratio enforcement. Usually a Google search will point you in the right direction of anything you can't find.

Tips - I like this guide.
Thanks for the updates. I'm gonna give this a shot in the next couple of days.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #432
MikeMar
Go Pats

Anyone have a list of some of the sites that are still up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #433
newsposter
Poster of News

list of sites would be great..i hadnt d/l in months but tivo cut something off and i couldnt find a site right away

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #434
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

I don't use too many different trackers...but.

All Purpose Public Trackers:
IsoHunt
Mininova
The Pirate Bay
BT Junkie (I hate this one)

Ones I Haven't Used, But Have A Decent Following:
Bite Nova
Snarf It
Torrent Box
Torrent Portal
Torrent Reactor

TV:
EZTV
TV Torrents (Private, need "credits")

Public Domain:
LegalTorrents

This doesn't touch on specialized private trackers, such as BlackCats, since this isn't really the place to discuss such trackers.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #435
atrac

Thank you for that list of sites! I was literally just going to ask that question when I saw the thread on the first page again.
atrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #436
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

They used to keep an updated list of the most popular sites on www.slyck.com, but I just went there and it appears they have redesigned the site and I don't see the link to the list of sites.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #437
cal_s7

http://torrentscan.com/

Its a search site for the other sites.
Pirate Bay and Mininova are nice in that allot of torrents have good comments about what the torrent is like.

isohunt seems to very good at searching out harder to find torrents, but has no comments.

I have recently discovered
http://www.tvrss.net/shows/
and combine it with something like Netvibes and you get custom rss feeds for torrents with a nice layout.
cal_s7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #438
MiakioAmy
New Year. New Name.

I will add that I love Torrents. I watch all my tv from Torrents, and I haven't missed anything this season. I mostly use Mininova, but add IsoHunt when I can't find something. The EZTV torrents are good quality, but those can be found on Mininova so you don't really need to go to their site.

And we have been able to find some Japanese anime that my husband was looking for. He was able to catch up three seasons to start watching what is current.

For anyone who will be watching on the computer, get a copy of VLC. It seems to play everything (even when Media Player doesn't like the file).

One question - he wants to put the shows on DVD, but they are in mkv format. My dvd creator program can't read those - is there a free converter anywhere? Or better dvd creator software?

"The future depends on what we do in the present." -- Mahatma Gandhi.
MiakioAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #439
Dignan
_

I convert MKV files with Visualhub ($23) on my Mac to MP4 for playback on my Apple TV. I know Super is supposed to work on the PC side.

I think this writers strike might make torrents a bit more popular. I know I'm downloading a lot, also renting movies.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #440
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
How long is it supposed to take to download a two hour show? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it always takes days if it even works at all. I don't do it often, only when I miss an episode of some show (like last week's Biggest Loser). It's still trying to download and it's been literally days!

Hot4Bo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #441
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
How long is it supposed to take to download a two hour show? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but it always takes days if it even works at all. I don't do it often, only when I miss an episode of some show (like last week's Biggest Loser). It's still trying to download and it's been literally days!
It depends on your connection speed and how many people are seeding the file.
To a lesser extent it also depends on the ratio of seeders to leechers.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #442
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
I'm still trying to learn BT but would like to help. Take anyone else's advice over mine.

What bittorent client are you using?

What is your broadband connection speed (down and up)?

Do you connect directly to the internet or through a router?

How old is the episode of the show you are trying to get (if it is not last week's BL)?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #443
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
I'm still trying to learn BT but would like to help. Take anyone else's advice over mine.

What bittorent client are you using?

What is your broadband connection speed (down and up)?

Do you connect directly to the internet or through a router?

How old is the episode of the show you are trying to get (if it is not last week's BL)?
I'm using Azureus (it was recommended in another thread).

I have no idea what my connection speed is.

I am connecting through a router (actually a cable gateway).

The show is last week's BL.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #444
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
As MasterofPuppets said, it depends on lots of factors, but I'll very often get a one-hour show in anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. This is using tvtorrents.com, which I find to be significantly faster than any other site I've used. When I was still using tvrss.net (which is just an index for mininova), they usually took 2-6 hours.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #445
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
As MasterofPuppets said, it depends on lots of factors, but I'll very often get a one-hour show in anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. This is using tvtorrents.com, which I find to be significantly faster than any other site I've used. When I was still using tvrss.net (which is just an index for mininova), they usually took 2-6 hours.
And based on my experience, the time it takes to download is pretty heavily influenced by your upload speed* and consumer broadband tend to be pretty weak on upload (In general DSL is worse than Cable which is worse than FIOS).

*That's because of BitTorrents "tit for tat" balancing system, where a node gives download preference to the nodes which are sending it the most information.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #446
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
OK, you all seem to think it should take hours. Since I'm going on a week and it happens every time I try to do this, something is telling me that I probably shouldn't be doing this because I don't know enough about this to troubleshoot it.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #447
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
OK, you all seem to think it should take hours. Since I'm going on a week and it happens every time I try to do this, something is telling me that I probably shouldn't be doing this because I don't know enough about this to troubleshoot it.
you havent told us (i may have missed it) how you connect to the internet. Do you pay for dialup or do you have a faster connection.

I have a mediocre dsl connection and the last time i downloaded a 1 hour show it did take several hours, but less than a day. ( i did it over the course of 3 days actually)

you can check the download speed right on your program...it may be something like 2.0kps or a higher number. Since your show is recent, there should be a lot of people from which to download but as others said, if you arent sending out anything, you wont have the fastest speed of download either, regardless of connection.

if you are positive the thing is being downloaded, even at a slow speed, just keep on doing it, you have nothing to lose. on dialup it did take near a week of me being on the computer in the evening for it to download

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #448
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
you havent told us (i may have missed it) how you connect to the internet. Do you pay for dialup or do you have a faster connection.
Broadband is cable, per a recent post.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #449
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Dang, are you sure you have things set up right? I routinely get hour-long shows from tvtorrents in less than five minutes!!
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #450
fmowry

Just a note. mrtwig.com for South Park torrents. No affiliation but I wanted to watch a couple season where I didn't Tivo them so I'll put 'em on my Zen or Zune.

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote