TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #361
PacMan3000

^^Interesting. Thanks for the response. As far as me...I am actually not trying to download a full season of recent shows necessarily. I might be trying to download a season of Boston Public or shows from the 90's.

I did download Grey's Anatomy (1st season) which wasn't too bad--but then again, that season was only like 13 episodes (max--it may have been a little less, even).
PacMan3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #362
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
I think the biggest problem you are running into is that you are trying to DL an entire season of a show at the same time. It's highly unlikely that the early episodes of that season are still in high demand among the users out there. So you are getting files with 5, 10, 15 seeders rather than files with several hundred seeders, which you generally see the first few days after an episode airs. For the shows that I've downloaded entire seasons of, I've done it one episode at a time, once a week as the new eps become available, not all at once at the end of the season.

Having said that, I leave my computer on all the time anyway, so I don't really care how long it takes. When I see something that I want, I start the download. I have Azureus set to download the file and then seed it until the ratio is at least 2.0 (meaning I've uploaded twice as much as I've downloaded). Then it stops. Often I'll come back to my computer the next night and a file will be finished and I don't ever bother to look how long it took. On rare occasions, it will take longer than a day, but I don't really care.
I got the first season of Weeds in one shot and it went really fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #363
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
^^Interesting. Thanks for the response. As far as me...I am actually not trying to download a full season of recent shows necessarily. I might be trying to download a season of Boston Public or shows from the 90's.
That's just taking what I said and magnifying it. An episode of a current show that aired 9 months ago will probably only have 10-20 seeders. An episode of a cancelled show that aired several years ago will probably have 5 or fewer seeders. Since the speed of the network is entirely dependent on the number of people seeding a particular file, you're in for a long wait on shows like that.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:08 PM   #364
PacMan3000

Oh ok then. That does make sense. Yeah...I'm trying to download Malcolm in the Middle and Sports Night....Malcolm in the Middle rate is like 1 kb/s and Sports Night is at 5 kb/s. About an hour ago I went to check...and it stated that Sports Night (which is downloading eps 1-8) will take 1 day and 23 hours...and Malcolm's first season will now take 23 days, haha. It went from 1 day to 4...and just eventually went up and up. I'll probably check again later to see how it is...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #365
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Oh ok then. That does make sense. Yeah...I'm trying to download Malcolm in the Middle and Sports Night....Malcolm in the Middle rate is like 1 kb/s and Sports Night is at 5 kb/s. About an hour ago I went to check...and it stated that Sports Night (which is downloading eps 1-8) will take 1 day and 23 hours...and Malcolm's first season will now take 23 days, haha. It went from 1 day to 4...and just eventually went up and up. I'll probably check again later to see how it is...
People are probably hoping on and off who have the files

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:25 AM   #366
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
How's Malcolm in the Middle going for you? I started downloading it last night after reading your post just for comparison purposes and this morning it's completed.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #367
PacMan3000

^^Really? I left my computer on all night, and it's only at 34%. I don't quite get it.

Does it go slow because I'm trying to download other things as well?

And does it also go slow if I've tried downloading for a few hours...turn it off...then back on hours later...then off...then try to download again a day later, etc?

I'm even trying to download a Rescue Me season 1...left it on all night, woke up today and it says it'll take 29 days.

I've downloaded a few albums from here...and 90% of them download in a very good amount of time. I've downloaded the pilot episode of Boston Legal, and that downloaded quickly. But these full seasons seem to take FOREVER!
Old 06-10-2006, 03:10 PM   #368
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
^^Really? I left my computer on all night, and it's only at 34%. I don't quite get it.

Does it go slow because I'm trying to download other things as well?

And does it also go slow if I've tried downloading for a few hours...turn it off...then back on hours later...then off...then try to download again a day later, etc?

I'm even trying to download a Rescue Me season 1...left it on all night, woke up today and it says it'll take 29 days.

I've downloaded a few albums from here...and 90% of them download in a very good amount of time. I've downloaded the pilot episode of Boston Legal, and that downloaded quickly. But these full seasons seem to take FOREVER!
1) Where did you download the torrent from? I got it from http://www.isohunt.com/dl.php?id=11859269. The important identifier is the hash. This file's hash is FFEFB167A6589874720DC49223B6B520D0FFA57B so if that's the same one you're downloading, these are the same torrents with the same seeders/leechers. Right now I see there's 69 leechers and 18 seeders and the average completion is 47.8%.

2) What Bittorrent program are you using?

3) If you PM or email me your public IP address (if you don't know it, check at www.whatismyip.com) and the configured port(s) for your Bittorrent client I'll see if I can connect from the outside to it or not; if not, then that could affect speeds a lot.

If you're saturating your maximum download speed with other things going on, then those other things could affect the speed you'd get this one.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #369
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Lightbulb Philips DVP5140 Progressive Scan Xvid and Divx player

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4910374

Philips has released a new model of DVD player that replaces the Philips 642 that plays Xvid and Divx video files. This new one is supposed to play those Xvids/Divxs that the Philips 642 couldn't. GMC and Qpel encoded Xvids. It also plays Divx 6 encoded video files.

For those people who are downloading episodes of tv shows and movies in Xvid and Divx format, you can burn them to CD-R or DVD-r and play them in this Philips DVD player without having to convert them first or have to watch them in front of your computer screen.

I would suggest burning Xvids/Divx to DVD rewriteable disk (DVD-RW), that way you can erase them and reuse the disks over and over without wasting disks.

Last edited by Malcontent : 06-10-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #370
mtnagel

In uTorrent, the light in the bottom is always yellow. It never goes to green. I set up the port forwarding through my router. I can still download stuff and sometimes the speed is good, but right now I'm downloading at roughly 25 kb/sec.

Nevermind. I figured it out. I had used portforward.com to set it up after formatting my computer and I skipped a step. Now I have a green light. Still not super fast downloads though.

Last edited by mtnagel : 06-11-2006 at 03:02 PM.
mtnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #371
efilippi

The fact that South Park received an Emmy nomination for the scientology episode sent me back to the torrents yesterday. I now have a file that is a bunch of rar's and a hydro file. I used winrar and now have a folder with a large bin file and one cue file. I read that Nero should be able to handle the cue file to enable a dump to cd, but that doesn't work. I get a 'not valid' error of some kind. I then saw that videolan is supposed to be able to play cue/bin files directly. So I downloaded that and can now indeed view the combination cue/bin movie. But I would still prefer to encode it in such a way that I can put it on a cd so I can view it on my television. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #372
PJO1966
Legally Married

I also have a bunch of .bin and .cue files. I have no idea what to do with these. Can someone spell it out for me?
PJO1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #373
Sherminator
ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

.bin & .cue files are disk image files, you can use Nero to make a CD/DVD out of them, or use software such as Nero Imagedrive, or Daemon Tools to mount them as virtual disks.

Some times, these files are made by software which doesn't completely follow the rules, in those cases, try mounting them as virtual disks, or using other software to burn them.

Last edited by Sherminator : 07-08-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #374
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherminator
.bin & .cue files are disk image files, you can use Nero to make a CD/DVD out of them, or use software such as Nero Imagedrive, or Daemon Tools to mount them as virtual disks.

Some times, these files are made by software which doesn't completely follow the rules, in those cases, try mounting them as virtual disks, or using other software to burn them.

I have Easy CD/DVD creator. I tried using that, but the .bin and .cue files all have the same name. Do I need to make folders on the DVD or will this software not work for this job?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #375
PJO1966
Legally Married

I downloaded Nero and am not having much luck... can anyone explain to this 5 year-old?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #376
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
In the Nero Burning ROM program there's an option in the menu for "Burn Image...". Select that and follow the instructions; choose the .cue file then begin the recording.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #377
fmowry

Slightly OT but I picked up one of these cheap DVD players described here for the sole purpose of playing bittorrented stuff on my bigscreen. This DVD player is $34 bucks at Big Lots and has a front USB. I bittorrent shows then copy them straight to my USB thumb drive and play them directly off of it. No converting, no burning to DVD. The thread tells how to use the player with a hard drive and enclosure too.

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #378
newsposter
Poster of News

I realize sometimes there are sometimes songs in place of TV shows but what about something like Standoff?

i'm using utorrent 1.6

http://torrentspy.com/torrent/852049...vi_eztv_Kimble

I'm ever so slowly d/l over dialup and i started it and it is showing some weird graphics and sayes error dowloading codec but does sound like it could be the show on audio

from that page can't i assume if it's a bad download that someone would have commented by now?

And should i be able to view a partial d/l or the fact that the error codec thing is happening is messing me up?

WMP 9.0...gonna d/l 10 now to see if it fixes it

10 didnt fix it...still tries to d/l codec..andi get the goofy lightshow when i run it

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter

Last edited by newsposter : 09-09-2006 at 09:27 AM.
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #379
Sherminator
ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

The answer is in the file description, it is an XViD .AVI file.

XViD is an open source alternative to the DiVX Mpeg4 Codec.

You need a XViD codec which can be download from here
Sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:41 PM   #380
newsposter
Poster of News

thanks..it worked..weird thing is i already had that .exe on my computer and remembered d/l it last year for one ep of des. housewives for my wife....just reinstalled it and voila!

already 2 d 2 h for the file..only a few more hours to go..hope it's a good show!

!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #381
ibergu

Well, I've just read through the whole thread, and I guess I need someone to walk me through like I am 4 because I'm lost and can't seem to figure out what to do.

Using Bit Tornado, I downloaded an episode of a TV show that I missed and it seemed like everything went well, because it reached 100% and I clicked the Finished button.

When I went searching for the downloaded file, all I found was a very large (350MB) .torrent file and am not sure what to do now.

Help? I've been googling, but can't seem to find an answer!

Thanks in advance.
ibergu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #382
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibergu
When I went searching for the downloaded file, all I found was a very large (350MB) .torrent file and am not sure what to do now.
That sounds like just a misnamed file. Given the size, I'm guessing it's an AVI file since most hour long shows (usually encoded to divx/xvid) are about 350MB. Try renaming the file to be a .avi file and then try playing it. (But you'll need either xvid or divx decoder installed depending on which way it was encoded).
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 AM   #383
MikeSh

I read the first couple pages of this thread back when they were "live" I've just finished reading the rest of the thread and I too would like to thank the many posters that shared their knowledge and experience with those of us less informed.

My D*Tivo HDD crapped out on me a few months ago and I lost the last 3 eps of Prison Break and 2 or 3 of the last Sopranos. Now I know how to go about getting them if I were so inclined.
MikeSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #384
amplex4

when u in stall azerues however u spell it just go to google and type in whatever show u want and at the end of that put torrent files and it comes up for example
*blade the series torrent files*

its much easier most of the time some of those torrent sites dont the the files just google it much faster and easier believe me
amplex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #385
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Please use capitalization and punctuation.

When you start downloading a file using Azureus it creates a file the size of the resultant file. Then that file is filled. The Azureus client asks where the file should be put.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #386
MikeSh

My SP for Ghost whisperer was overlaid for Meerkat Manor of all things. So I missed last weeks eppie. Not anymore...
MikeSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #387
newsposter
Poster of News

i'm d/l a file now that is in the format:

episode.pdtv.xvid-fqm.r00

Then the .r00 incrementally increases and each file is only 14,649kb in size. If i only need the first few minutes of the file, how can i put these 20 or so files together? Or must you d/l the entire thing because of the formatting?

!

Old 10-02-2006, 07:05 AM   #388
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
i'm d/l a file now that is in the format:

episode.pdtv.xvid-fqm.r00

Then the .r00 incrementally increases and each file is only 14,649kb in size. If i only need the first few minutes of the file, how can i put these 20 or so files together? Or must you d/l the entire thing because of the formatting?

That is one part of a RAR file. I believe you need all the parts so that WinRAR can recombine them into one file.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #389
newsposter
Poster of News

not what i wanted to hear but thanks for giving me the cold hard truth

!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #390
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

WinRar does want all of the parts. But if you only have the first few parts you can usually tell it to start extracting and when it pops up the error message saying that parts are missing, immediatly go to your Temp folder and you should be able to find what it was able to extract so far. Copy it to somewhere else because as soon as you hit 'OK' on the error message, because WinRar will then delete the files it had extracted so far from the temp folder.

For AVI files, though, most players, especially Windows Media Player, don't like partial .avi files and will refuse to play them. There are alternative players ("BSPlayer" comes to mind) that have no problem with partial .avi files.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote