TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #91
MickeS

Quote:
could the installation of 2.2 and the transferring of files cause the TiVo to stop functioning properly?
Don't know. I have not had any problems at all. I suppose it's possible... but I suspect it's just a coincidence. That's just a guess though.

Quote:
What is the proper Videora setting for converting a 16:9 program into a letterboxed 4:3 file so I can watch it on my 4:3 TV in the proper aspect ratio?
A 16:9 file should be converted using a "MPEG-2/720x480/16:9/xxx" profile. It will then show as a letterboxed 4:3 file on the TiVo. Not sure why the 16:9 you converted to 16:9 didn't work and showed multiple images. Maybe something wrong with the source file. I haven't had any problems with any files.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #92
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan
Click the "this one" link in beldar's post (a couple posts up). The fourth link down on that page is DivXtoDVD 0.5.0. I used that the other day and it worked great. I was able to burn a DVD using the resulting files and Nero, and it played fine on my father in law's relatively old DVD player.
That did the trick, thanks. Now I'm repeating the process after purchasing to get rid of that pesky watermark across the top of the screen.

PJO1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #93
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

OK, I've only played with torrents once or twice about a year ago and it was on a 'non-essential' computer. How 'dangerous' is it using these torrent sites. Am I going to end up downloading other nefarious programs along with the show? What do I have to concern myself with?

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
Paperboy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #94
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003
OK, I've only played with torrents once or twice about a year ago and it was on a 'non-essential' computer. How 'dangerous' is it using these torrent sites. Am I going to end up downloading other nefarious programs along with the show? What do I have to concern myself with?
I've been downloading bit torrents for a couple of years and never had a problem. You obviously want to have an anti-virus program running, and also run spyware and adware programs regularly. However, I've not found any torrent files that brought anything bad into my system.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #95
crowfan
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
That did the trick, thanks. Now I'm repeating the process after purchasing to get rid of that pesky watermark across the top of the screen.

Glad it worked for you.

Did the other program that you used first put the watermark on for you? I used that program by itself on a BT file, and then burned it to DVD using Nero, and it didn't have a watermark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #96
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy2003
While you certainly could choose to download things that might be questionable ... hacked commercial software, for example, which very well might have viruses or other malware attached, if you're downloading television shows or other video material, you're going to be dealing with video files. Sometimes there'll be some other descriptive files or images included as part of the package, but generally nothing executable.

Bittorrent clients themselves have stayed pretty respectable (nothing at all like Kazaa where the client itself loaded up your system with malware). And they only share what you tell it to share and other torrents you download yourself, so they're not exposing anything on your system to others surreptitiously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #97
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan
Glad it worked for you.

Did the other program that you used first put the watermark on for you? I used that program by itself on a BT file, and then burned it to DVD using Nero, and it didn't have a watermark.

The first one never worked for me because it wouldn't let me select an audio stream and couldn't continue without it.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:06 PM   #98
mtnagel

With the talk of converting an avi to dvd files, if it's just a 42 min tv show, any reason not to just burn it to a video cd? Nero can make the video cd from the avi and it doesn't even take up the whole cd (at least for the one I tried). So is there any reason to go to DVD for just a TV show?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #99
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
With the talk of converting an avi to dvd files, if it's just a 42 min tv show, any reason not to just burn it to a video cd? Nero can make the video cd from the avi and it doesn't even take up the whole cd (at least for the one I tried). So is there any reason to go to DVD for just a TV show?
Video CD is 352x240 in NTSC, about 1/4 the resolution most TV show torrents are provided in, as most do come from HD feeds when available.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #100
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC
If you are going to be downloading things that other parties would be interested in. And those parties would be interested in contacting your ISP and finding out who you are you should download Peerguardian.
I downloaded it and at the end of the setup, it said it would launch it. I see it in my processes at pg2.exe, so does that mean it's working?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #101
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Video CD is 352x240 in NTSC, about 1/4 the resolution most TV show torrents are provided in, as most do come from HD feeds when available.
Ah, I see. What about super video cd? Nero had that, but I didn't know what it was.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #102
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Ah, I see. What about super video cd? Nero had that, but I didn't know what it was.
Super Video CD is 480x480 for NTSC, better certainly. And not really that far from what you'd get on a DVD, I suppose. Can your player handle DVD data formats on CD media?

Old 01-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #103
PJO1966
Legally Married

I just watched a few minutes of Smallville after going through the whole process. It looked pretty good on my Zenith DVB 318 upconverted to 1080i. Maybe I'll eventually get something that will play AVI files directly. I'm intrigued by the Cintre MediaStore that was posted earlier in this thread. If I was employed I would have placed that order today. It looks pretty cool.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #104
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Super Video CD is 480x480 for NTSC, better certainly. And not really that far from what you'd get on a DVD, I suppose. Can your player handle DVD data formats on CD media?
Not sure, but I just tried to do it in Nero and it said I needed to purchase something else (I only have the OEM version, so I'm not sure if that's why) and I don't want to do that. Thanks though.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:57 AM   #105
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
A 16:9 file should be converted using a "MPEG-2/720x480/16:9/xxx" profile. It will then show as a letterboxed 4:3 file on the TiVo. Not sure why the 16:9 you converted to 16:9 didn't work and showed multiple images. Maybe something wrong with the source file. I haven't had any problems with any files.
Nope. I've tried several different files, all of which play fine on the PC, but they won't play properly on the TiVo. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to make 16:9 torrent files play properly through the TiVo on a 4:3 TV?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #106
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnderson
You could try Virtualdub-MPEG2.
It worked, with a problem - I ended up with a 60 GB file

I'll check the settings and try again.

edit - I saved it as uncompressed, now I'm not sure what to use. I want to be able to make a DVD my friend can play, and he's got an old DVD.

Cinepak Codec by Radius? DivX 6.0? Intel 5.1? Microsoft Video 1? Xvid MPEG4?

Any of the above and burn with Nero as VCD?

edit again = like mtnagel, I can't make a VCD with Nero Express.

Last edited by Mabes : 01-15-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #107
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabes

I was able to make a VCD, but not a Super VCD with Nero. With the VCD, as Doug mentioned the resolution is not great, so the quality won't be great. It was watchable for the episode I did last night, but not great.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #108
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabes
It worked, with a problem - I ended up with a 60 GB file

I'll check the settings and try again.

edit - I saved it as uncompressed, now I'm not sure what to use. I want to be able to make a DVD my friend can play, and he's got an old DVD.

Cinepak Codec by Radius? DivX 6.0? Intel 5.1? Microsoft Video 1? Xvid MPEG4?

You actually had 60GB of free space? Wow!!

If the friend's DVD player is old, you'll want to check that it will even play DVD+/-Rs before you spend too much time. I know my old DVD player will not play them at all but my newer one does.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:30 AM   #109
pigonthewing
(& theinstigator)

So why is the amount of traffic hitting PeerGuardian so disturbingly high when I'm not even running bittorent right now?

And, PS, uTorrent does rock. Thanks for the suggestion(s).
pigonthewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #110
jkindley
Not so New Member

Quote:
I was able to make a VCD, but not a Super VCD with Nero. With the VCD, as Doug mentioned the resolution is not great, so the quality won't be great. It was watchable for the episode I did last night, but not great.
The VCD is also MPEG 1 and not MPEG 2 so the compression is not nearly as good.

as I recal you need to download a mpeg 2 encoder to make Super VCD or DVD material. I think that is what Nero wants to sell you. You should be able find a mpeg 2 encoder on the net. for more info goto www.vcdhelp.com.

Jim
jkindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:17 AM   #111
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
You actually had 60GB of free space? Wow!!

If the friend's DVD player is old, you'll want to check that it will even play DVD+/-Rs before you spend too much time. I know my old DVD player will not play them at all but my newer one does.
New computer, with 160 GB to start.

A friend of his has made DVDs he can play and the first one I burned was with VOBs, with the entire structure intact. He does not get a no disc error, it tries to read it and gets stuck. The disc was over 4 MB, maybe that's a problem. My player can sometimes have problems in that case.

I think I'll try burning again, wtithout the special features and see what happens.
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #112
ChickenCheese
with BBQ sauce

Thanks everyone for the easy bit torrent lesson! I had no idea how any of this worked until now. A few questions though,

1. Are some bit torrent programs faster then others? It was going to take over 2 hours to download a 1/2 TV program last night. I have DSL and maybe it was the busiest time of day to be using it?

2. Peer Guardian - what does this do? Makes it so no one can tell who you are on the internet?
ChickenCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:33 AM   #113
Chibbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenCheese
Thanks everyone for the easy bit torrent lesson! I had no idea how any of this worked until now. A few questions though,

1. Are some bit torrent programs faster then others? It was going to take over 2 hours to download a 1/2 TV program last night. I have DSL and maybe it was the busiest time of day to be using it?

2. Peer Guardian - what does this do? Makes it so no one can tell who you are on the internet?
1. I don't think you would see much of a difference. A program like uTorrent uses less computer resources, but that won't affect the download speed significantly.

However, some torrents are faster than others. You want to look for a torrent with a lot of seeds (and leechers). The higher the number, the faster the download.

2. It allows you to block IP groups from your P2P connection. From Wikipedia;

PeerGuardian is often misunderstood as an application. Many presume that the purpose of the software is to hide the user's IP address from various groups, such as the RIAA and MPAA. This is nearly impossible and is thus a misconception of the intention of the program.

The design of PeerGuardian is to prevent the collection of evidence that can be used as proof that a particular IP address is connected to a particular network.

Chibbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #114
nilegomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal
Haven't read the rest of this thread yet- but this worked great- THANKS DOUG!

One more question.. we downloaded a couple things to try and they are on our tivo desktop, but I am assuming our problem is they are not in the right MPEG format. I think we need MPEG2 according to what I read somewhere on tivo... is there a converter I can get, or do I need to be downloading certain type of files only?

I am so close, I feel it... but we just can't figure it completely out. I really appreaciate the help... I am off to read the rest of this thread now, in case there is any more info I misssed..

But I wanted to thank you for this, it worked very easy!!!!
I'm currently using WinAvi... it's the fastest encoder I've found, and the quality is decent (you can choose to encode by "quality" or "speed"... I use "speed" and I have no complaints about quality)... find it here: winavi[dot]com (wouldn't let me post the url, so I'm hoping you can decipher this? lol)

My problem is that once I get my mpg's into the "My TiVo Recordings" folder, my TiVo can see the folder but it can't seem to see the files? Can anyone direct me to a forum thread that addresses this issue please? I've tried searching, but so far haven't come up with anything helpful. At first I thought it might be a firewall issue, but I have no trouble playing the mp3s on my PC through TiVo, and if it can see the folder holding my files, shouldn't it be able to see the mpg's inside as well?
nilegomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #115
GadgetFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibbie
1. I don't think you would see much of a difference. A program like uTorrent uses less computer resources, but that won't affect the download speed significantly.

However, some torrents are faster than others. You want to look for a torrent with a lot of seeds (and leechers). The higher the number, the faster the download.
What would a typical download speed be? Most shows that I have tried download at 10-11kbs. Is this because of my router or my isp, or is that normal?

edit: isp = sbc dsl with a linksys router
GadgetFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #116
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
What would a typical download speed be? Most shows that I have tried download at 10-11kbs. Is this because of my router or my isp, or is that normal?

Every torrent is different as it depends entirely on how many other people are seeding the program at the same time. The way BT works is that as you are downloading a program, you are also uploading (seeding) those portions of it that you already have. Therefore, when tons of people are getting a particular show, the speeds can be very fast. I've had hour-long programs finish in half an hour or so. Other times, I've had hour-long programs that take several days, simply because there aren't many out there seeding.

There may be things you can do to increase your speed (such as opening ports, disabling firewalls, changing settings on the BT client, etc.) but I'm not a pro at that so I can't tell you what to do specifically. All I know is that my client works fine and there are times when something will d/l well over 100 kbs and other times it is only 1 or 2 kbs.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #117
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

Have you looked at the SafePeer plugin for Azureus? It's a program that blocks access to many IP ranges. If your IP address happened to be among them, you might be just suffering an effect of people running SafePeer.

As mentioned, download speeds will vary, but if they are consistently 10-11kbps and you never see them go much higher for a sustained period, there could be something else going on; anything from ISP's running fancy software on their routers to throttle such peer2peer traffic, or some misconfiguration that's causing Bittorrent peers to throttle you or ignore you.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #118
ChickenCheese
with BBQ sauce

I read somewhere that limiting your upload speed to around 20 will help. Right now I think it's set at unlimited?
Does that sound about right?
ChickenCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #119
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenCheese
I read somewhere that limiting your upload speed to around 20 will help. Right not I think it's set at unlimited?
Does that sound about right?
You don't want to saturate your internet connection since there needs to be some bandwidth available to acknowledge packets as they come in. So keeping your upload speed limited to a portion of your max bandwidth, and similarly for your download speed, you will help things.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:13 PM   #120
quarkman97
All mobbed up!

I limited my upload bandwidth to about 10 KB/sec and was getting crap download speeds. I couldn't figure out what the problem was with my download speed.

I adjusted it to the maximum upload and my torrent download speed jumped up to where it usually is. YMMV.

I've had it there ever since. I think I might drop it down to 30 and see what that gets me.

Going to buy the new HD DirecTivo the minute it comes out.

"I'm not a plunker." --David Brent

Last edited by quarkman97 : 01-17-2006 at 02:21 PM.
quarkman97 is offline   Reply With Quote