TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #991
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I couldn't download any torrents after upgrading to the current uTorrent 3.4 version. I can't remember the error message. I think it mentioned an illegal path within the torrent. I found an old install of uTorrent on my hard drive and installed it. It's version 2.02. Is there a reliable place to get a more recent version of uTorrent that is just uTorrent and not filled with crap that wants to redirect my home page or install useless menu toolbars etc... ?
I download from a lot of trackers and most do not allow the use of uTorrent 3.4 so you might want to check to see if that is your problem. In any event if you're looking for any old version of uTorrent the best place to go is oldapps.com.
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #992
Allanon

Let me preface this by stating that I live in the Texas Panhandle and we get weather alerts on all network channels at the slightest hint of wind, tornado, rain, snow, flood, dust, or fire. And they cover most of the screen with a big map and a big red scrolling banner at the bottom which makes it almost impossible to enjoy a show. So when that happens I will go to the Internet to download a show without weather alerts.

I used torrent clients for a while but started to get copyright notices from the content providers. So I switched to NZB files using the Usenet Newsgroups but my ISP drop support. So I found BitTheif which downloads torrents without sharing. Since I've been using it I haven't received any copyright notices. It's a bandwidth hog but it works.

Recently I've started to use Icefilms which streams content plus provides a direct download link.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #993
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
So I switched to NZB files using the Usenet Newsgroups but my ISP drop support.
Just a FYI,

You can buy a usenet block from a usenet provider (like Blocknews.net). It's a one off charge and the usenet blocks don't expire from lack of use. Blocks are pretty cheap considering your usage level.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #994
Allanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Just a FYI,

You can buy a usenet block from a usenet provider (like Blocknews.net). It's a one off charge and the usenet blocks don't expire from lack of use. Blocks are pretty cheap considering your usage level.
I will not spend extra money to download a video that I already paid for when subscribing to cable and was ruined by local channels putting weather on it. I find BitThief and Icefilms convenient and easy enough to use.

But my problem might be going away since last weekend my Tivo HD hard drive died and instead of getting a new one I went to my cable provider and got a Tivo premiere and Tivo Mini. They install it tomorrow and I'm hoping they have recent network shows in their On Demand section.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #995
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
I will not spend extra money to download a video that I already paid for when subscribing to cable and was ruined by local channels putting weather on it. I find BitThief and Icefilms convenient and easy enough to use.

But my problem might be going away since last weekend my Tivo HD hard drive died and instead of getting a new one I went to my cable provider and got a Tivo premiere and Tivo Mini. They install it tomorrow and I'm hoping they have recent network shows in their On Demand section.
What's funny is that you pay for a DVR to do the exact same thing

Just pointing that out, but fully understand the though process, just got a snicker from me

(Moral/ethics/legality aside)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #996
Swirl_Junkie

Has anyone seen this Tvrage.com site? They seem to be streaming shows from everywhere. Even ones that just premiered on Hulu yesterday. It's the first I've seen it. Kind of like popcorn time, but for tv shows. I'm not endorsing it, I was just looking for a torrent, and it popped up.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #997
Hcour

This thread appears to be a potpourri of BT subjects so I thought I'd ask my question here:

I'm using uTorrent 1.8.2. I need to downgrade my broadband connection. The cable company tells me the new speed will be 2 Mbps. I need to configure uTorrent for the lower bandwidth connection. The uTorrent Speed Guide only has choices for bandwidth speed in "k" or "Mbit".

Could someone tell me how much 2 Mbps converts to in "k" or "Mbit" so I can properly configure uTorrent?

Thanks much!
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #998
cheesesteak
Meh.

Are there security risks in using an old version of uTorrent?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #999
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
This thread appears to be a potpourri of BT subjects so I thought I'd ask my question here:

I'm using uTorrent 1.8.2. I need to downgrade my broadband connection. The cable company tells me the new speed will be 2 Mbps. I need to configure uTorrent for the lower bandwidth connection. The uTorrent Speed Guide only has choices for bandwidth speed in "k" or "Mbit".

Could someone tell me how much 2 Mbps converts to in "k" or "Mbit" so I can properly configure uTorrent?

Thanks much!
Mbps = Megabits per second which is also Mbit so 2 Mbps = 2 Mbit.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #1000
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Are there security risks in using an old version of uTorrent?
No. Most private trackers recommend old versions, especially compared with some of the newest versions.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #1001
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Mbps = Megabits per second which is also Mbit so 2 Mbps = 2 Mbit.
Although if that's the upload speed I've found bittorrent seems to work more reliably for me if I cap it to use no more than 85% of my upload. If I let it use 100% the download seems to surge and choke. So I'd set it to 1.7. (But YMMV)
Old 07-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #1002
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Although if that's the upload speed I've found bittorrent seems to work more reliably for me if I cap it to use no more than 85% of my upload. If I let it use 100% the download seems to surge and choke. So I'd set it to 1.7. (But YMMV)
How would I do that? It only gives me a choice of 2Mbit, 10Mbit, etc. How would I set it to just 1.7? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #1003
Jonathan_S

Quote:
How would I do that? It only gives me a choice of 2Mbit, 10Mbit, etc. How would I set it to just 1.7? Thanks.
It's been quote a while since it set it up, but I thought I remembered utorrent having a freeform entry box to enter a speed.

But I could be wrong; maybe it was a dropdown... I have a lot more upload so I wouldn't have needed to be so precise; any option around 20 mbit would have been fine for me.

If 2 mbit is as low as it goes than I guess pick that. If it has a lower option (like 1 mbit) I'd experiment to see which works better for you in practice. I suspect the "surging" from allowing it to go effectively unthrottled will still be less impact that capping it at 50%.
Sorry I can offer more specific help.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #1004
Hcour

Yeah, this version only has a dropdown. I don't seem to be having any problems at 2 mbit so far. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #1005
kdmorse

These screenshots are supposed to be from 1.8.2:

I seem to remember a 'General' page, where you use a pulldown to specify your line in gross terms. Then a detailed page where you can set your individual upload and download limits.

But I don't have 1.8.2 on me to validate....
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #1006
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
This just doesn't make sense. I had 2 files that have been sitting since yesterday. I have tried to Start and Force Start. Tried updating trackers, etc. Nothing.

I changed the port in uTorrent Preferences and forwarded the same port on my router and instantly they started.

Happened again today.

All on a public tracker and I have installed utorrent 2.2.1. A ton of seeders so that's not the issue.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #1007
logic88

Quote:
Happened again today.

All on a public tracker and I have installed utorrent 2.2.1. A ton of seeders so that's not the issue.
I see this problem sometimes but a restart of the uTorrent client usually resolves it. It's probably a proxy problem but I haven't tried another proxy service to see if it's limited to Torguard or not.
logic88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #1008
Hcour

Sad news for fans of Brit TV torrents: ZXCV (formerly The Box) is shutting down.

Man, I'm really gonna miss ZXCV.

Last edited by Hcour : 08-04-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #1009
wprager

How is this thread still going? Seriously! Is like it should be renamed "That bit torrent, she's pretty fat."
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #1010
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Sad news for fans of Brit TV torrents: ZXCV (formerly The Box) is shutting down. Everyone there seems to be flocking to another UK site, ******, currently with open sign-ups.

Man, I'm really gonna miss ZXCV. Hope ****** is as good.
Of course it's not shutting down, it's just re-branding and shedding those members that the administration now deems unworthy.

Just like they did to the members of TheBox that they left behind.

Last edited by pteronaut : 08-04-2014 at 03:38 PM.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #1011
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
Of course it's not shutting down, it's just re-branding and shedding those members that the administration now deems unworthy.

Just like they did to the members of TheBox that they left behind.
I've been a member since 2008, my ratio regularly hovers around 1.5, I seed around 50 torrents 24/7.

You're telling me I've been deemed "unworthy"?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #1012
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
I've been a member since 2008, my ratio regularly hovers around 1.5, I seed around 50 torrents 24/7.

You're telling me I've been deemed "unworthy"?
I was a member of TheBox with a ratio of 4+, seeded a fair amount well past completion, never caused a ruckus in forum, and generally a good citizen, never got an invite to ZXCV (infact, until your post I never knew it's identity, which I'm assuming that not letting it's identity be known was one of the rules, as I couldn't find the ID of the site for want of trying when I originally heard of the 1st rebrand)
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 PM   #1013
JohnB1000

ZXCV invited EVERY Box member via a PM to the Box account just after it stopped seeding. I think they are closed now (they may come back of course).

As much as anything I used it to learn what was on the TV.

Any other suggestions for good sources for UK TV shows ?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:19 AM   #1014
ewolfr

I see that the website for zxcv is now dead, but looking at my torrents the tracker is still active. Did anyone see on the forums how much longer they would leave the tracker up and alive?

The only place I know of right now for UK tv shows with open registration is *****

I just hope being so open right now doesn't mean they will be next in line to fall. I've lost uknova, and thebox twice. Not too sure where I would get my fix next. I guess a VPN would likely be the next step in order to stream from overseas to here in the US.

Last edited by ewolfr : 08-06-2014 at 11:11 PM.
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #1015
JohnB1000

Probably best not to mention the site, I think it's against the rules but I did get in

Streaming is just not the same. I think newsgroups would be good but I love the way things were cataloged at Box, so easy to find whatever was on that day.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #1016
2004raptor

Quote:
This just doesn't make sense. I had 2 files that have been sitting since yesterday. I have tried to Start and Force Start. Tried updating trackers, etc. Nothing.

I changed the port in uTorrent Preferences and forwarded the same port on my router and instantly they started.

Still going through this issue. I have a fresh install of windows 8.1 (was on windows 7, so I know i know it's not an OS issue). I "downgraded" to utorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302). Not sure what else to try. Could it be my actual router? I really don't want to replace it. No newer official firmware but I do see dd-wrt is available. I've never messed with anything other than stock firmware.
Any other ideas?
Old 09-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #1017
logic88

That's a weird one. Are you using torrents from just one site? Or do all torrents have this problem? Both private and public trackers?

Maybe try a public Linux distro torrent without the proxy to see if that works OK? Then start testing various combinations to see what breaks things?
logic88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #1018
2004raptor

99% of what I get is from a public site. It's weird because since I installed win 8.1 I have downloaded ~10 or so files with no issue. Then all of a sudden this one file had the issue.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #1019
2004raptor

Another update of weirdness.

Went to piratebay and downloaded three torrents. All had plenty of seeds and all were over 1GB (not that that matters).

Two of them downloaded within no time. Third one was stuck on zero. Changed my port in uTorrrent and opened that port in my Linksys config. Instantly started downloading.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #1020
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Any idea what is going on with TVtorrents.com? the site doesn't seem to exist anymore...
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote