TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #871
newsposter
Poster of News

i forget the site, have it at home, but they did test me and determined no throttling or anything. i think the site began with a G and was specifically to test if your ISP was throttling. my downloads were about 1200 kb and i saved the screenshot at home

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #872
Azlen

I have a seedbox that will give me some downloads in the 40 MB (capital B) plus per second range. Usually the fastest ones are going to be from other seedboxes in the same server complex. There are still quite a few torrents that are very slow. One recent file took nearly a week to download. It's just the way it is sometimes.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #873
newsposter
Poster of News

does anyone know what the tab 'peer' at the bottom of the window really means..specifically on the far right it says peer d/l and the numbers are very high

!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #874
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
does anyone know what the tab 'peer' at the bottom of the window really means..specifically on the far right it says peer d/l and the numbers are very high
I would guess that's the download rate the peer is seeing as a result of ALL of the peers he's downloading from.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #875
newsposter
Poster of News

glasnost was the test page i used

it took many tries but i used the utorrent setup guide to connect to NY and it did say the port is open, network configured. so i guess thats good news

it said results upload 419.4 kbit/s (51.1 kb/s) and set that to my upload speed then said download 1.3 mbit/s (156.8 kb/s)

speedtest shows me at 1.2 so that seems accurate.

you will laugh at me if this is the issue..my bits and bytes are maybe mixed up in my head

does the above figure indicate the my 1.3 meg DSL download speed is equal to 156.8 kb/s? i had thought it was equal to 1300 kb/s and getting 1/10th speed

if the speed really is 156kb/s then right now i'm downloading now at 130 kb/s and i guess thats as good as i can do

!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #876
Azlen

Quote:
glasnost was the test page i used

it took many tries but i used the utorrent setup guide to connect to NY and it did say the port is open, network configured. so i guess thats good news

it said results upload 419.4 kbit/s (51.1 kb/s) and set that to my upload speed then said download 1.3 mbit/s (156.8 kb/s)

speedtest shows me at 1.2 so that seems accurate.

you will laugh at me if this is the issue..my bits and bytes are maybe mixed up in my head

does the above figure indicate the my 1.3 meg DSL download speed is equal to 156.8 kb/s? i had thought it was equal to 1300 kb/s and getting 1/10th speed

if the speed really is 156kb/s then right now i'm downloading now at 130 kb/s and i guess thats as good as i can do

Most download speeds by ISPs are published in Mbps. 1.3 Mbps is pretty slow and is equal to 166 KB per second. If you're getting 130 then you are getting pretty close to the max you're ever going to get.

1 MB/s = 8 Mbps
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #877
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Would someone be kind enough to PM me an invite to a private tracker for TV shows? I have no problem paying for upload credits. In fact, I prefer it. Any help greatly appreciated. I already have Utorrent set up.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #878
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Most download speeds by ISPs are published in Mbps. 1.3 Mbps is pretty slow and is equal to 166 KB per second. If you're getting 130 then you are getting pretty close to the max you're ever going to get.

1 MB/s = 8 Mbps
from router setup..

ATU-C Current Tx Rate 1536000 (bits/sec)
ATU-R Current Tx Rate 384000 (bits/sec)

so i may not have had a problem all this time after all

edit: found the exact conversion

=1.5 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]
=1500 Kbps [Kilobit-per-second]
=0.188 MB/sec [Megabyte-per-second]
=187.5 KB/sec [Kilobyte-per-second]

so looks like 187 kb/sec is the max possible so when i was getting 150ish before, i should have been happy i guess. i thoght kpbs and kb/s were the same

!

Last edited by newsposter : 01-17-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #879
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Would someone be kind enough to PM me an invite to a private tracker for TV shows? I have no problem paying for upload credits. In fact, I prefer it. Any help greatly appreciated. I already have Utorrent set up.
It's been forever, PM me your email and I'll send you a tvtorrents invite.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #880
newsposter
Poster of News

i have a question...i realize from the answers above that if i go to piratebay and start a download, i am only getting the file from others that are on piratebay's search engine, not torrenthound etc etc (i guess thats how you describe it?)

ive never 'created' a torrent so dont know how to do that but if i did, how does a certain site know that i have the file and then share it with other people?

!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #881
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
i have a question...i realize from the answers above that if i go to piratebay and start a download, i am only getting the file from others that are on piratebay's search engine, not torrenthound etc etc (i guess thats how you describe it?)
Yes, but sometimes you'll be seeding to OTHER places as well, especially when you dl the torrents from public servers. I have several that have 4 & 5 simultaneous seed locations going on.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #882
Azlen

Quote:

ive never 'created' a torrent so dont know how to do that but if i did, how does a certain site know that i have the file and then share it with other people?
That's basically the job of the tracker. The tracker doesn't have the file itself but keeps track of the peers and seeds and manages the transfer process. In most public torrent files you will see multiple trackers. In those cases, people who get the torrent file from one index site may be seeded by people who got their file from a separate torrent site. With private trackers, you will only see one tracker.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #883
robojerk

Quote:

ive never 'created' a torrent so don't know how to do that but if i did, how does a certain site know that i have the file and then share it with other people?
Sites like TPB (in the past) and private trackers handle three key things in order to make a torrent work. They stored the .torrent file on a server, some sort of search or web interface for you to find the .torrent file, and have a centralized tracker that manages the sharing between everyone sharing the file. You download the .torrent file which contained a hash and the tracker address. The hash indicates to the tracker which swarm (all the people sharing a certain file[s]) to connect you to, and you start sharing.

Many if not most private tracker still follow that scenario.

TPB has moved onto fancier ways to share files to protect themselves, and the swarms from being taken offline. They no longer use .torrent file, they instead use magnet links now. It's just a web link that has the hash and tracker information on it.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:OYORR73QDD3FTMBR...969%2fannounce

DHT "Distributed Hash Table" - is one of two ways to connect to the swarm that doesn't involve a centralized tracker. When you start a torrent, it kicks off some DNS boot strap method of finding peers.

PEX is the second way of communicating to a swarm that doesn't involve a tracker. From what I have read it still requires DHT or a tracker to initiate the connection to the swarm.

Most private trackers do not work with DHT or PEX, I think some actually require you to disable the protocols. Also I have seen some torrents that disable the private trackers if you connect to another tracker, meaning the private tracker doesn't want to connect to a public swarm.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #884
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Hopefully I can ask this question here and be patient because I'm pretty much a newb at the torrent stuff.

Just downloaded Vuze and so far so good. Have several things downloaded, transcoded and transferred to my TiVo. The only problem is I can't seem to turn off the German subtitles. Since I don't speak a word of German they are really annoying.

I've downloaded three things so far (three eps. of the same show) and two of them have the subtitle issue and the other does not. Even when I watch them back on the compute through the player that comes with Vuze, I cannot turn off the subtitles. When I click on the subtitle icon on the player it just brings up a menu asking what file to use for the subtitles.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #885
RichardHead
Musical Klutz

Some torrents have subtitles hard coded into the video. If it bothers you, look for another version of the torrent.

Some torrents are offered with a separate subtitle file which you can add to the video using numerous video converters.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #886
SeanC
ECT

They are probably hard encoded into the video, so nothing to turn off.

Or what ^ said.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #887
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Thanks! I guess this time I'll just suck it up and watch with them, but it's nice to know what to look out for next time.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #888
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Thanks! I guess this time I'll just suck it up and watch with them, but it's nice to know what to look out for next time.
You probably downloaded a "for your consideration" copy from Germany. You can't remove the Subtitles. I wonder if these are the ones they give people so they can vote on Best Actor, Best Movie, etc for the SAGS, Oscars, various others?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #889
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
You probably downloaded a "for your consideration" copy from Germany. You can't remove the Subtitles. I wonder if these are the ones they give people so they can vote on Best Actor, Best Movie, etc for the SAGS, Oscars, various others?
If it were a "for your consideration" screener for the German equivalent of the Academy Awards or the Emmys, a graphic would appear about every 10 minutes saying the German equivalent of "property of Paramount Pictures" (or whatever).

I think Jstkiddn just happened to download torrents from someone who hard-codes German subtitles onto the video files before they "release" them.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #890
newsposter
Poster of News

sometimes in the name of the torrent they put weird abbreviations..sometimes you get lucky and see things like 'subgerman' or something like that. also with time you will get to know who has the 'right' files you like. there are certain users i always look for becuase i know they have good HD files, though not many people seed those

!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 AM   #891
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
sometimes in the name of the torrent they put weird abbreviations..sometimes you get lucky and see things like 'subgerman' or something like that. also with time you will get to know who has the 'right' files you like. there are certain users i always look for becuase i know they have good HD files, though not many people seed those
Also keep an eye out for 3 letter country abbreviations:

FRA
GER
ITA - ITL

Those generally mean either it is dubbed into that language or the subtitles are in that language.

You can also start the torrent, then in your torrent program look at the files that are included in the torrent, the individual file names can be more descriptive than the torrent name.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #892
newsposter
Poster of News

sometimes the word 'subtitles' appears but i'm not sure what that means...i know what it means..but not what it means lol

for example, if i play the file on the laptop, i can see the words, when i transfer with pytivo i cannot see the words. i dont know what this means

!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #893
SeanC
ECT

Subtitles can be embedded in the video, or they can be in a separate file. When they are embedded it doesn't matter how you view the file, you'll see the subtitles and they cannot be turned off.

If they are in a separate file, then when you play them on your laptop, your laptop player is finding the subtitles file and automatically showing them, these can be turned off.

When you transfer them to your tivo, if you did not take steps to import the subtitles before transfer then they will not be there on your tivo.

So in regards to transferring to your tivo if you need the subtitles it is best to find a video source with them already embedded, otherwise you'll have to spend time embedding them yourself.

Off the top of my head I believe subtitle files are .srt files, though I've never been sure if that is a naming convention or just a loose standard that people tend to follow.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #894
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Other than using VNC or similar is there a way I can initiate a torrent download from my Android to download to my desktop?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #895
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Other than using VNC or similar is there a way I can initiate a torrent download from my Android to download to my desktop?
/subscribe

That would indeed be handy.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #896
nickels
opinionated dope

There is a way to put the torrent in dropbox and have your home PC download it automatically (I have not tested this trick):
http://tumblr.gesteves.com/post/8443...y-with-dropbox

TeamViewer is my choice, as it is just easier to control my home PC with this free remote app.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #897
Ment

you should be able to do the same thing with Google Drive. Setup your torrent client to look at a folder in your cloud application and DL the torrent to the same location on your phone and let them sync.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #898
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
uTorrent has a Remote app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.utorrent.web

Although, I do have uTorrent monitor a specific folder in my Dropbox and it auto loads any .torrent file that I place in there.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #899
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post

Although, I do have uTorrent monitor a specific folder in my Dropbox and it auto loads any .torrent file that I place in there.
Trying it now, thanks!

And thanks to all for the suggestions.

ETA: Worked perfectly. Exactly what I wanted.

Last edited by Robin : 11-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #900
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post

Can you give me some pointers about how to do this? And are you storing the actual downloaded content in your Dropbox folder, or just the .torrent file? Apparently there isn't a utorrent app available for iOS so I'd like to figure out a way to download the .torrent file from my iPhone, store it in the monitored Dropbox folder, and then have my desktop at home see that, start the download, and put the actual .avi file in the correct non-Dropbox folder. Is that possible?