Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #301
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin
BIG thanks as well!! I've never used bt or d/l, so am glad to find a place that walked me through it. I love the challenge of learning how to be a techie, when by nature I am not. I'm about to d/l my first tv show ever - yipee!.

Question (prolly 1st of many):
- Best site for UK show? UKnova has a limit on membership, so I can't join. I'm specifically looking for all 5 seasons of Footballers Wives (My cable co does not carry BBC Amer, and my cousin has a recurring bit part in the new season) - What is best site to use, and how do I know which season I'm dl?
- Music- I'm looking for remixes of Sia song "Breathe Me" (6ft under finale song). I have her cd, but it did not include 2 bonus remixes - and I don't see it on the sites mentioned previously in the thread?
season five
tvrss dot net

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #302
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin
- Best site for UK show? UKnova has a limit on membership, so I can't join. I'm specifically looking for all 5 seasons of Footballers Wives (My cable co does not carry BBC Amer, and my cousin has a recurring bit part in the new season) - What is best site to use, and how do I know which season I'm dl?
Be perseverent. UKNova purges non-sharing/old members almost every hour, so if you try regularly you usually will make it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #303
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz
season five tvrss dot net
Thanks I'm actually looking for seasons 1-4, but that is a great little tool I'll definitely use in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
UKNova purges non-sharing/old members almost every hour, so if you try regularly you usually will make it.
Ahh, didn't know that. Thanks. I'm hoping since it's UK I'll be able to find all seasons 1-4 of FW. Hoping the Sia track is there also since she is a UK artist...
S3 250gb LT 10/15/07
Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #304
Figaro
El Caganer

Any tips as to how to get azureus to not suck under OS X? I can't get the UDP and firewall connections working right. I have an airport express hooked up to an old netgear router. The router doesn't have any fancy protocal settings. All I can do is specify a range of ports to be open. that is all. Any ideas?
Figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #305
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro
Any tips as to how to get azureus to not suck under OS X? I can't get the UDP and firewall connections working right. I have an airport express hooked up to an old netgear router. The router doesn't have any fancy protocal settings. All I can do is specify a range of ports to be open. that is all. Any ideas?
Azureus only needs one port open (unless you want to run it as a tracker, then you need two).

The port configured is the one on the "Connection" page under the Options section. A simple test is if someone can telnet to that port using your IP address then all should work. If you look on the Tools/Console page after configuring it and trying to start a download maybe you'll see some additional detail as to what's going wrong. If you need someone just to confirm th port's open correctly, you can PM your public IP and port to me and I'll test it.

BTW, TCP is what you need to focus on; UDP is used for the decentralized tracking.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:15 AM   #306
Figaro
El Caganer

Ok thanks Doug, I will take a look at that tonight after work.
Figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #307
MasterOfPuppets
TCF Bookie

I'm sure I mentioned this here before...but you can learn pretty much everything you need to know about Azureus at Wikipedia and following the links it provides...alternatively you could also run a search there on Bit Torrent in general...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #308
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

In using Videora - what processing speed are you using; 2, 4 or 8 Mbps?

I'm sure that quality improves with more space per second of video... however, if they are shows that you are going to watch once and delete - is 2Mbps "good enough"?

If it matters, it would be shows that are transcoded in 16:9

Thanks,

Jeff
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #309
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I've only used 2 Mbps and never had a problem. In fact, shows that I download and transcode look much better on my SD TV than the SD broadcasts I get off cable. If it were something I was planning to keep I might use a higher setting, but the size gets pretty big as it is. A typical 1 hour show is about 350 MB off BitTorrent and it's significantly larger than that when you convert it via Videora at 2 Mbps. Try couple and see what you think, but I'd bet you'd be pleased with 2.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #310
Guindalf
Now with added dalf

Other sources (I didn't read through the posts, so sorry if I smeeked!)

Torrentportal
Thepiratebay
mininova.org

(I'm at work and can't remember the extenders on the first two, but this should help you find them).

Oh, almost forgot isohunt!
Guindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #311
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

My new favorite is http://tvrss.net/shows/ It lists all the shows and has an index (in order) for each one. Makes it real easy to find what you're looking for.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #312
TiVo Bum
Pure Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
My new favorite is http://tvrss.net/shows/ It lists all the shows and has an index (in order) for each one. Makes it real easy to find what you're looking for.
Great site! Thanks much for the info.
TiVo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #313
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Just be carful they started busting people that use Bit
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:15 PM   #314
PJO1966
Legally Married

For a while I've been successfully using torrents as a way to get shows my TiVo didn't record due to crashing. This week I came across a dilemma. I downloaded both Invasion and Will & Grace and the format is different from the usual files I get. Instead of one file that I drop into ConvertXtoDVD, I get a dozen or so zipped files that I am unable to unzip. Here's what I'm looking at:

How do I go from this to a DVD?
PJO1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #315
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Those are .rar files. You need to download a program like WinRar and it will compile all of those smaller files into one big .avi file. Just download the free trial program, it should be all you need.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #316
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Those are .rar files. You need to download a program like WinRar and it will compile all of those smaller files into one big .avi file. Just download the free trial program, it should be all you need.

I have WinRar. When I try to open any of these, this is the message I get...
Quote:
C:\Program Files\Azureus\Will.and.Grace.S08E21.HDTV.XviD\will.and.grace .821.hdtv-lol.rar
The archive is either in unknown format or damaged.
The same thing happens with Invasion & Gray's Anatomy as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #317
GameGuru

Make sure the file is completely downloading and you are not seeding as you will get this message if you are doing either.
GameGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #318
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru
Make sure the file is completely downloading and you are not seeding as you will get this message if you are doing either.

I always remove the file from the uploading queue before attempting to open. I've found other versions of these shows that seem to contain one file each. I'm hoping to have better luck with those. I'm hoping to be able to resolve this issue for future reference.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #319
GameGuru

Quote:
I've only used 2 Mbps and never had a problem. In fact, shows that I download and transcode look much better on my SD TV than the SD broadcasts I get off cable. If it were something I was planning to keep I might use a higher setting, but the size gets pretty big as it is. A typical 1 hour show is about 350 MB off BitTorrent and it's significantly larger than that when you convert it via Videora at 2 Mbps. Try couple and see what you think, but I'd bet you'd be pleased with 2.
Why transcode? Watch them on your PC, modded X-Box or any number of DVD players that also play Divx.
GameGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #320
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Perhaps you need a newer version of WinRAR?

I've never run into problems with them; I don't really come across them too often, but regularly enough. I guess they're compilations of pieces posted on newsgroups since there's really no reason to compress files being distributed via Bittorrent... and actually is somewhat counterproductive if there's more than one file since you eliminate the ability to just download individual files within torrents.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:51 AM   #321
PJO1966
Legally Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
Perhaps you need a newer version of WinRAR?

I've never run into problems with them; I don't really come across them too often, but regularly enough. I guess they're compilations of pieces posted on newsgroups since there's really no reason to compress files being distributed via Bittorrent... and actually is somewhat counterproductive if there's more than one file since you eliminate the ability to just download individual files within torrents.

I did have an old version of WinRar, but I updated it today and still had the same problem. I guess I'll just have to avoid files like that from bit torrent.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #322
beldar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966
The same thing happens with Invasion & Gray's Anatomy as well.
It's possible that people are seeding stuff without verifying the contents first. If you see some .par2 files along with the rar files, you can recover from the damage using quickpar or similar tools.

If people are hosting torrents of corrupted .rar files without the .par2 files, they're either morons or are deliberately screwing with people.

Read more about quickpar at the parchive site.
beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #323
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru
Why transcode? Watch them on your PC, modded X-Box or any number of DVD players that also play Divx.
I do occasionally watch on the PC, but would prefer to watch on my home theater. Since I don't have an X-Box or a Divx-playing DVD player, I use Videora and TiVo ToGoBack and it works great. Free solutions are always preferable to me.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #324
newsposter
Poster of News

are pretty light shows the norm (thwarting pirates?) when trying to frustrate people..i spent parts of 3 days d/l desp H/w and tried it today only to find pretty lights instead of the show...there was an attempt to download a codec and it failed but then the lights wouldn't even play if something was wrong, right?

any way to tell what codec i need?

on the bottom of the player it says song desp h/w

edit ok figured it out..needed xvid

is it a function of a bad recording or is it something in my computer than makes it all pixelated and color challenged? It's like it's a bad OTA connection or something.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter

Last edited by newsposter : 05-24-2006 at 09:08 AM.
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #325
ferreter

Can you post a screen grab?

Usually fake files show nothing, or a really old movie.
ferreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #326
Lee L
Got Basenji?

How about sync issues. I have the right codec (xvid) and all three files I tried start out just a touch out of sync and then get progressively worse. If I drag the progress bar back a littel bit it will get back close to sync but immediately start getting worse.

This is a 2 gig P4 with 768 meg of ram with built in to the MB 128 meg video.

Do you work in the Raleigh, Durham, RTP Cary or Morrisville area and find that you are hungry in the middle of the day on Wednesdays?
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:03 AM   #327
KwikSilvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L
How about sync issues. I have the right codec (xvid) and all three files I tried start out just a touch out of sync and then get progressively worse. If I drag the progress bar back a littel bit it will get back close to sync but immediately start getting worse.

This is a 2 gig P4 with 768 meg of ram with built in to the MB 128 meg video.
Try uninstalling your xvid build and installing a more efficient codec. Maybe also try a light weight player.

I suggest ffdshow and Media Player Classic.
KwikSilvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #328
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreter
Can you post a screen grab?

Usually fake files show nothing, or a really old movie.
except for printscreen and pasting to Paint, i dont know how to do a screenshot (and of course bmps are over 2mb.

How else can i do that?

the video is definitely real...it's just like before i had my OTA perfected with dropouts and weird colorations/pixels etc. There are no comments on the torrent page saying the file is bad. But i dont know how often people post comments. I sure should!

I'm gonna show her the 75% finished thing tonight to see what she thinks...doubt she will like it though

!

Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #329
Guindalf
Now with added dalf

VLC Player is great for playing files. It will even play one that's not complete - you know, the ones that sit at 97.7% and won't go any further. That 2.3% is not vital to the show, but most players reject it as being incomplete. VLC will play it!
Guindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #330
newsposter
Poster of News

brings me to another question..as a test, i d/l utorrent and started downloading on there....downloaded a bit of the file and noticed the .torrent type. I deleted that and left just the avi there, but it wouldn't even play for a few seconds. Is VLC for viewing in this specific instance? WMP plays the incomplete DH file just 'fine' for me.

!