TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
cstelter

NCIS: New Orleans -- Musician Heal Thyself 9/23/2014

So am I the only one who checked out the 3rd 3rd spinoff of a criminal procedural in the past decade? I'll admit it-- I watched L&O:CI and CSI:NY, so maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

In any case-- I came here looking for a thread to see if anyone else found the intro/exit of every segment to be distractingly quantum leap like. NCIS has the black/white last-scene-first deal, NCIS:LA has the multi-photo quick shoot, and now NCIS:NO has the Scott Bakula leap-in effect. I could even believe that the sound effect is the old quantum leap effect sped up 5x.

I have to believe this was fully intentional (Belisarius does NCIS and also did Quantum Leap), but IMO I really hope this was a one-off nudge nudge wink wink Belisarius/Bakula back together again. At the very least, mix it up and not have *every* segment feature Bakula...

Otherwise it's like..

Trapped in yet another tertiary spin-off, Dwight Pride finds himself leaping from segment to segment, repeating plot points right from every CBS procedural that once went worked well, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home..........
Old 09-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
brebeans

I watched it.....I love New Orleans, and like NCIS well enough, so I thought it could be fun, interesting, etc.

I was pretty disappointed. Just another NCIS, cop show, etc. that really could have been anywhere except for some really bad NOLA 'accents'.

I'll watch again to see where it goes, but I was pretty disappointed in the acting, writing, scenery, etc.
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

They were throwing out a lot of NOLA references in last night's episode. I wonder just how authentic they were -- any real-world residents from NOLA here?

I also wonder how much filming is being done in Louisiana as opposed to a Hollywood (or Canadian) backlot.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
They were throwing out a lot of NOLA references in last night's episode. I wonder just how authentic they were -- any real-world residents from NOLA here?

I also wonder how much filming is being done in Louisiana as opposed to a Hollywood (or Canadian) backlot.
Both NCIS and NCIS LA are filmed in LA, don't not about NCIS New Orleans but I suspect the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I liked it. But I doubt I would watch 2 NCIS shows on the same night ( well last night I did because they were premieres). but going forward, 1 will be watched later, and I suspect that will be N.O. Probably get backed log and watch them all over Winter Season break.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

I never liked NCIS, cause I'm not a Harmon fan, but I watch NCIS-LA and decided to watch this one.

I like it for the most part, and like all the actors/characters, so I'll continue to watch.

However, did anyone else get weird feedback through their sound system??

At three or four different spots in the show, my right rear speaker let out a very loud hiss sound for about 3 seconds. It's never done that before, and didn't do it with anything else I watched last night (or today). Very weird. Even when rewinding, it did it in the same spots during the show.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
At three or four different spots in the show, my right rear speaker let out a very loud hiss sound for about 3 seconds. It's never done that before, and didn't do it with anything else I watched last night (or today). Very weird. Even when rewinding, it did it in the same spots during the show.
Do you recall a specific place? I still have my recording, but hadn't noticed anything when I watched it. Could be an issue with your local station, but I could check a particular scene for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymalkin
They were throwing out a lot of NOLA references in last night's episode.
The NO references seemed pretty thick. Somehow I suspect after the first couple episodes have established-- yes, we're in NO, we'll have less references to bignets, bread pudding and French quarter graveyards (which coincidentally made me think of the original Gabriel Knight game-- yes that both dates me and indicates my personal level of geekiness).
Old 09-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post
So am I the only one who checked out the 3rd 3rd spinoff of a criminal procedural in the past decade? I'll admit it-- I watched L&O:CI and CSI:NY, so maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

In any case-- I came here looking for a thread to see if anyone else found the intro/exit of every segment to be distractingly quantum leap like. NCIS has the black/white last-scene-first deal, NCIS:LA has the multi-photo quick shoot, and now NCIS:NO has the Scott Bakula leap-in effect. I could even believe that the sound effect is the old quantum leap effect sped up 5x.

I have to believe this was fully intentional (Belisarius does NCIS and also did Quantum Leap), but IMO I really hope this was a one-off nudge nudge wink wink Belisarius/Bakula back together again. At the very least, mix it up and not have *every* segment feature Bakula...

Otherwise it's like..

Trapped in yet another tertiary spin-off, Dwight Pride finds himself leaping from segment to segment, repeating plot points right from every CBS procedural that once went worked well, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home..........
I watched it cause I am a Scott Bakula fan. I gave up on the original NCIS about 6 years ago when I thought it was getting a bit repetitive for my tastes, same reason I gave up on all the CSI's. I never watched the L.A. version.

I and my buddy both thought the transition into and out if the break was a bit Quantum Leapish. So you're not alone in that.

For me, I think it's one and done. A bit too much of been there done that for me. Plus Bakula's accent is atrocious. Why couldn't they keep his natural speaking voice and just make him someone who grew up there from teenage onwards?

No need for bad imitation accents and nothing else has to change.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
markz
Hilarity Ensues

I haven't watched it yet, but will tonight. I wanna like it because I love NCIS.

I read an article last month that said that all filming would be done on location. I will see if I can find it.

ETA: Here it is:

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/201...sit_to_th.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
markz
Hilarity Ensues

On another note, last week I watched the 2 episodes of JAG that introduced the regular NCIS characters. In it, Gibbs meets Petty Officer Jennifer Coats (played by Zoe McClellan). And in the episode of NCIS that introduced the NCIS: NOLA cast, Gibbs meets Special Agen Meridith Brody (also played by Zoe McClellan). I was hoping for some winking nod to that like a comment like "Have we met? You look familiar"

Old 09-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Do you recall a specific place? I still have my recording, but hadn't noticed anything when I watched it. Could be an issue with your local station, but I could check a particular scene for fun.
The only one I remember specifically was near the beginning of the show, when Bakula was talking to the Musician (black guy) one on one, right before he went onstage.

There was definitely one during their conversation.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
BrandonRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
They were throwing out a lot of NOLA references in last night's episode. I wonder just how authentic they were -- any real-world residents from NOLA here? I also wonder how much filming is being done in Louisiana as opposed to a Hollywood (or Canadian) backlot.
Just watched it more out of curiosity than anything else. The one reference that stuck out to me as wrong was the apartment being on the "mardi gras route." It's the parade route, not the mardi gras route. The show is being filmed in South Louisiana.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
Just watched it more out of curiosity than anything else. The one reference that stuck out to me as wrong was the apartment being on the "mardi gras route." It's the parade route, not the mardi gras route. The show is being filmed in South Louisiana.
Although the character that said it is a new transplant from the midwest so she may not know the correct terminology. She may have been told that the Mardi Gras parade comes through there and she called it the Mardi Gras route.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
... except for some really bad NOLA 'accents'.
I have not watched this year but last years spin off episodes, thats what I said it would be better to have Bakula drop the accent all together.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I have not watched this year but last years spin off episodes, thats what I said it would be better to have Bakula drop the accent all together.
My wife and I were in the NOLA French Quarter in July and barely heard any NOLA accents.

Also, when I was in the Army, I was stationed in Kentucky for three years and picked up a pseudo southern accent. I am sure I didn't sound southern to the locals, but the people back home sure thought I sounded different.

So I am sure there are all sorts of NOLA accents, some stronger and some weaker, depending on where someone is originally from, how long they have been in NOLA, and how easily they pickup accents.

There are people born and raised in my town that sound completely differently than I do even though I grew up here as well.

I am not that out off by the accents on this show.

Last edited by markz : 09-25-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #16
BrandonRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
My wife and I were in the NOLO French Quarter in July and barely heard any NOLO accents. Also, when I was in the Army, I was stationed in Kentucky for three years and picked up a pseudo southern accent. I am sure I didn't sound southern to the locals, but the people back home sure thought I sounded different. So I am sure there are all sorts of NOLO accents, some stronger and some weaker, depending on where someone is originally from, how long they have been in NOLO, and how easily they pickup accents. There are people born and raised in my town that sound completely differently than I do even though I grew up here as well. I am not that out off by the accents on this show.
You mean NOLA?

The archetypical NOLA accent has more in common with Brooklyn than any southern sounding accent. I will say that I would much prefer the show with neutral accents than the really bad ones they have now.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
You mean NOLA?

The archetypical NOLA accent has more in common with Brooklyn than any southern sounding accent. I will say that I would much prefer the show with neutral accents than the really bad ones they have now.
Guess I was confused with YOLO! I would like to YOLO in NOLA.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
...that really could have been anywhere except for some really bad NOLA 'accents'.
so does anybody remember a cooking show of PBS from back in the late '70s called
The Cookin' Cajun
or something like that

THAT was an accent
it was a pretty funny show (I seem to remember him drinking a lot of wine on the show), but it was informative too
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
so does anybody remember a cooking show of PBS from back in the late '70s called
The Cookin' Cajun
or something like that

THAT was an accent
it was a pretty funny show (I seem to remember him drinking a lot of wine on the show), but it was informative too
I believe his name was Justin Wilson or something like that! Great show!

Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #20
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
The only one I remember specifically was near the beginning of the show, when Bakula was talking to the Musician (black guy) one on one, right before he went onstage.

There was definitely one during their conversation.
No issues playing on my system. It's older 6.1, but was reading Dolby 5.1 from the optical link. Might have been a local station issue, or an issue with your amp/speaker I suppose.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #21
BrandonRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I believe his name was Justin Wilson or something like that! Great show!
And he wasn't even a cajun...
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #22
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'll give it 1 or 2 more episodes, but this was just boring.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
No issues playing on my system. It's older 6.1, but was reading Dolby 5.1 from the optical link. Might have been a local station issue, or an issue with your amp/speaker I suppose.
Thanks for checking, I'm thinking it must have been local, cause it hasn't happened with any other shows before or since.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #24
GAViewer

Quote:
And he wasn't even a cajun...
But he was from Louisiana. I worked with a woman from Louisiana and she grew up just up the road from Justin Wilson.

She said that in normal conversations, he only had a southern accent, it was only when he was performing that he put on the Cajun accent.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote