TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Blindspot "In Night So Ransomed Bridge" (9/14/16) S2E1 SPOILERS!!!!!!!

Wow, so much information. I'm gonna have to watch this ep again, (and pay attention).

Triple agent now? Not sure how that's gonna work.

And last season's hero from Agents of SHIELD is now Jane's brother.

The bad guys have a nuclear missile?

My head is spinning.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College 1962

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:35 AM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

If Jane/Alice/Remy really meant what she said at the FBI about wanting to take down Sandstorm, then is she's not really a triple agent. But I'm sure they'll introduce something this season to make her truly a triple agent and make us question her loyalties.

What was that coin her brother put in her hand at the end? Was that a Krugerand?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Hercules67
TiVo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Wow, so much information. I'm gonna have to watch this ep again, (and pay attention).

Triple agent now? Not sure how that's gonna work.

And last season's hero from Agents of SHIELD is now Jane's brother.

The bad guys have a nuclear missile?

My head is spinning.
Was that a nuclear missile?

Did this show just become Sci-Fi?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hercules67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
dtle

As many people (including me) predicted, the whole Jane memory thing is just a re-hash of Total Recall.

dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What was that coin her brother put in her hand at the end? Was that a Krugerand?
Ha, a Krugerrand would have been appropriate, since they said her name was Alice Kruger. Or not, since her parents were said to be anti-Apartheid.

But no, that was not a gold coin. It was a 1-Rand coin. Too bad she did not turn it over so we could see the year. But it looks like it was minted between 1965 and 1988 judging from the pictures here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coins_..._1965-1991.JPG

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
john4200

This show is so uneven. The 1st season has some pretty good episodes, and some really bad ones. But the overall mystery of the 1st season was enough to keep me watching despite some of the crazy stuff.

But this 2nd season opener looks like the beginning of a spiral into insanity. I wonder who made them insert that terrible scene with Patterson explaining that she just can't turn off a bug that is not designed to be remotely turned off, and then Weller yells at her to just do it, and she just does it. WTF? And it looks like they are going to have the "Red John" problem, where they have to explain why all these people are fanatically loyal to their leader, willing to die for the leader, and they just never manage a decent explanation. And now, they have what looks like an ICBM? Ugghhhh.

The only thing I was interested in was whether Roman was Remi's brother by blood, or just by association. I guess Roman and Remi are supposed to be a reference to Romulus and Remus, which makes Shepherd the she-wolf that raised them. Other than that, it seems like an odd metaphor (Shepherd should have been Lupa or something like that).

Anyway, in the flashback, it looked like Alice was alone as she was led from her house, and then she saw a scarred-face boy at the orphanage, so it seems like they might have met at that orphanage / training facility. But it seemed like the show was pushing the idea that they really were blood-siblings. So I don't know what is going on there. If they are blood relations, it would probably make the situation more interesting, since Roman would have to choose between his blood and Shepherd at some point. But that just makes the whole "Red John" problem even worse. I'm not optimistic about this season being good.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another Burn Notice, where every time they reveal "the truth" it later turns out there's yet another layer and "the truth" isn't actually true. I started to feel like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the football after a while...

Old 09-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

So they very strongly implied that the as-of-yet-unactivated Sandstorm mole inside the FBI is one of the leads or Dylan Baker's character.

I imagine it would have to be Dylan Baker's character, no?

Although I suppose the shrink is another viable possibility.

I don't think any of the others would make any sense to me.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
jth tv

It was a good episode but there is just so much angst I can put up with. If each week has a good story, a bad guy of the week, I'll stay interested.

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another Burn Notice, where every time they reveal "the truth" it later turns out there's yet another layer and "the truth" isn't actually true. I started to feel like Charlie Brown with Lucy holding the football after a while...
Don't worry, the producers have a plan.

Well, Martin Gero says he does:
(I don't think there's anything particularly spoilery at that link but he does talk about future plans in general terms.)

Quote:
How long has Sandstorm been in your back pocket?

Since the beginning, we’ve always known. You can’t do a show like this and not know what’s going on. We always knew Jane’s backstory and the shape of the organization behind her. We didn’t have the name until this year. We kept calling them the Island of Misfit Toys. And then that became The Misfits, but that didn’t sound like a great name for a show like this. And then one of our writers, Chris Pozzebon, came up with that monologue that Nas has about why she gave them that name. It was great; we got to learn a little bit about Nas and it was a badass name.

How far in advance do you actually plan with this show?

We are hyper planners. It’s one of those things you can say and then nobody believes you because mostly that turns out to be a lie. But we start our room about a month and a half before most writers’ rooms start up. Coming into season two, we spent the first week and a half talking about season three, just so that we make sure we’re teeing everything up properly. There’s an enormous amount planned from the beginning.

Part of that is just the climate. When you’re pitching these shows nowadays you can’t just have a bunch of dangling threads. When I pitched the show they wanted to know, well, who is she? What’s going on? You can’t just say you’ll figure it out; networks have gotten really wise to great pilots that don’t necessarily make great series. At the time, it felt like an exhausting amount of work to do for just a pitch, but now that we’re actually making the show, I couldn’t be more thankful because we’ve had a solid playbook from the beginning.

How do you keep track of all that?

I work with an astoundingly smart group of writers; if you came to our office it would look like we’re planning a massive attack. Every episode is laid out all the way up until episode 22 — working backwards, what plot elements we’re going to reveal and when. And then we have the stuff we need to layer in to make season three work. It’s a big group effort, so it’s not like it’s all stuff that needs to just fit in one person’s head. That’s why all writers rooms are just covered in wipe boards. There is so much information that we’re constantly tracking and trying to fit in and streamline.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
So they very strongly implied that the as-of-yet-unactivated Sandstorm mole inside the FBI is one of the leads or Dylan Baker's character.

Considering that Patterson has a thing for Borden, that'll shred her psyche if he turns out to be the mole.

Baker's character is the obvious choice but it could also be Zapata due to her gambling addiction and the fact she's already had that held over her head.

Same for Reade and threats to Sarah.
I realize that threats to Sarah could also motivate Weller but I just don't think he'd stay completely silent about that.

I don't see an obvious lever for Patterson.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 09-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
john4200

It does not make sense for any of those people to be a mole for Sandstorm.

Because they are all aware that Jane is now working against Sandstorm, and if they told Shepherd, then that would be the end of Jane talking to Roman and Shepherd.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Considering that Patterson has a thing for Borden, that'll shred her psyche if he turns out to be the mole.

Baker's character is the obvious choice but it could also be Zapata due to her gambling addiction and the fact she's already had that held over her head.

Same for Reade and threats to Sarah.
I realize that threats to Sarah could also motivate Weller but I just don't think he'd stay completely silent about that.

I don't see an obvious lever for Patterson.
I may have been reading too much into it, but I didn't get the impression that their asset was someone leveraged so much as a "true believer": one of their own that they had put into place as a sleeper from before the beginning.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I got the sense it was more of a "Manchuria Candidate" kind of thing, where the sleeper agent doesn't even know s/he is a mole.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:42 AM   #15
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I guess Roman and Remi are supposed to be a reference to Romulus and Remus, which makes Shepherd the she-wolf that raised them. Other than that, it seems like an odd metaphor (Shepherd should have been Lupa or something like that).
A wolf in sheep's clothing perhaps?

Or, even better, The Wolf Turned Shepherd: http://www.surfnetkids.com/early/552...urned-shepherd

Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 AM   #16
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I may have been reading too much into it, but I didn't get the impression that their asset was someone leveraged so much as a "true believer": one of their own that they had put into place as a sleeper from before the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I got the sense it was more of a "Manchuria Candidate" kind of thing, where the sleeper agent doesn't even know s/he is a mole.
Interesting thought but I'm not sure I agree.
I mean I know they said they didn't want to blow the mole's cover prematurely but if it was a true believer sent in, why send in Jane/Alice/Remy/Not-Taylor in the first place?

Although someone who had their memory wiped like Jane and essentially reprogrammed....
Hmmmm.....

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 09-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I just watched this ep again. I saw this the first time, but was a little distracted by the fact that there was a missile in the next scene.

On one of the decoded pictures of various bad ops, there was a picture of Jane lying on the ground, in full US military combat gear. I couldn't see any identifying insignia. As I was thinking: "wtf?" I was wondering why everyone on the FBI team wasn't saying: "wtF!" I think a little more exposition might be in order in the next ep.

Another thing they just skimmed over, Roman killed 4 NYPD officers. I'm pretty sure that would cause a huge commotion within the FBI.

This show never fails to surprise me.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College 1962

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #18
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
One thing that continually bothers me is how emotional Weller is. Over the top A-holish emotional. That just doesn't fit the psyche of an FBI Special Agent.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #19
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:

They did show Archie Panjabi's character during that segment, too. I don't know if you're including her in "one of the leads" since she's new.

Speaking of, I liked hearing her talk with her real accent. She always sounded a little strange on The Good Wife.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #20
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
They did show Archie Panjabi's character during that segment, too. I don't know if you're including her in "one of the leads" since she's new.
I missed that they showed her.

It would be weird though to refer to her as their "asset in the FBI", since she's really their asset in the NSA, and if she's not been activated, they wouldn't necessarily know she recently started working with the FBI.

But anything's possible, I guess.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #21
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
It would be weird though to refer to her as their "asset in the FBI", since she's really their asset in the NSA
True.

Old 09-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
One thing that continually bothers me is how emotional Weller is. Over the top A-holish emotional. That just doesn't fit the psyche of an FBI Special Agent.
His staccato talk pattern through gritted teeth bothers me.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #23
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
His staccato talk pattern through gritted teeth bothers me.
That's how he hides his accent.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #24
DouglasPHill

I've always thought that the actor playing Weller is the weak link in the chain.

DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #25
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I've always thought that the actor playing Weller is the weak link in the chain.
I agree.

I enjoyed him much more in this role.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #26
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
That's how he hides his accent.
He didn't do it quite this much in Strike Back. But perhaps he was yelling more in that show.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote