TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
mr.unnatural

Man Seeking Woman

New comedy on Wednesday night right after "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on Fxx. Stars Jay Baruchel and is based on Simon Rich's book "The Last Girlfriend on Earth." It's a funny take on relationships and dating. The 1st episode was surprisingly tame for Fxx comedies (i.e., a lot less raunchy than you'd expect) and was very funny. The 2nd episode stepped up the raunch factor by just a little, but still not bad overall. Definitely worthy checking out, IMHO.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
New comedy on Wednesday night right after "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on Fxx. Stars Jay Baruchel and is based on Simon Rich's book "The Last Girlfriend on Earth." It's a funny take on relationships and dating. The 1st episode was surprisingly tame for Fxx comedies (i.e., a lot less raunchy than you'd expect) and was very funny. The 2nd episode stepped up the raunch factor by just a little, but still not bad overall. Definitely worthy checking out, IMHO.
It was horrible....I deleted the first ep before it was even half done....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
cherry ghost

I almost gave up early, but the Hitler stuff was funny. Haven't watched second ep yet.

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I love this show. It's a bit uneven (the first episode took a while to get rolling, and the second petered out after the text was sent), but often it has me laughing out loud...which is unusual for me.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Gave it a try, but couldn't wait to delete the SP once I watched it.

Clearly not everyone's cup o' tea.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Gave it a try, but couldn't wait to delete the SP once I watched it.

Clearly....I just set up recordings for the first two eps (no SP) to see if I'd like it, but deleted the second from my TDL after deleting the first ep about 10 mins in...

XL4
Old 01-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Clearly....I just set up recordings for the first two eps (no SP) to see if I'd like it, but deleted the second from my TDL after deleting the first ep about 10 mins in...
Did you get to the blind date? Because if you didn't, then you have no idea what kind of show you're not watching...

Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Did you get to the blind date? Because if you didn't, then you have no idea what kind of show you're not watching...
Gorbachenka was hot!
I love this show. I did think wtf am I watching? when things first got weird, then it got funny.

Last edited by scandia101; 01-23-2015 at 07:35 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #9
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Thought some of the first episode was amusing.

Really enjoyed the second episode. The "The Center for Important Matters" counsel trying to decide the best wording for the text message was terrific, right down to the klaxon alarm and everybody panicking when he misspelled a word.

Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

I didn't like it enough to watch after the first episode, even though the second half was an improvement over the first. It just wasn't enough.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #11
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes, clearly!

I loved the first episode at least. When it first started I thought I wasn't going to be able to relate to it since I guess I'm a bit (or perhaps a lot) older than their target demographic.

But, yeah seems off beat and quirky. That is my cup of tea.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Gorbachenka was hot!
I love this show. I did think wtf am I watching? when things first got weird, then it got funny.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/se...1421204170.jpg
I think that image should have been spoilerized.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Bob Coxner

There won't be any meh's with this one. You'll either love it (I do) or hate it. No in-between.

Usually I can describe a new show to a friend by saying "it's X meets Y" or "it's a lot like Z". I can't think of a way to describe this one. That's a good thing in my book.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #14
mr.unnatural

The main reason I liked it is because it doesn't follow any standard formula used by 99.999% of the sitcoms currently on TV. It's quirky and different, which is definitely my cup of tea. One of the things I liked about it was the fact that they don't go over the top with discussions of genitalia and raunchy sexual situations that so many shows rely on these days for cheap laughs. That may change as the show progresses, but I'm hoping it doesn't. I'm sick of all the infantile potty jokes that are so prevalent in sitcoms.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I have heard all this stuff about how critics love this show. I watched the first episode and was not impressed. I guess I'll give it 1-2 more episodes.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #16
MikeCC
TiVotee

I've tried the show, too. My reactions so far are varied: bored, confused, annoyed, with a moment or two of mild amusement.

To this point, I'd say the show ain't for me. I will give it one more ep to try to reel me in. If my reactions remain the same, I'm done.

As an aside, there's a reason so-called formula shows survive: the formula works. While I can laud that some try to find a new formula, or at least try to avoid too many clichés, I usually find those attempts more tiresome than entertaining.

MikeCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Actually, it was the blind date that prompted me to delete everything

Maybe I'll give it another chance...but I just couldn't get through the first ep...

XL4
Old 01-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:

Maybe I'll give it another chance...but I just couldn't get through the first ep...
If you didn't like the blind date, then this is definitely not the show for you! Because it only gets stranger from there...

Old 01-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #19
mr.unnatural

Like every other show on TV, it's not something that will appeal to everyone. There are lots of shows that people here rave about that I consider absolute drek. I tend not to get involved in discussions about personal preference because that's all it is. If someone else doesn't like the same shows as me then that's all there is to it. If you gave it a shot and it didn't appeal to you then there's plenty of other stuff to watch. I liked it and thought others might like it as well, which is why I started the thread. It's nothing more than making others aware of a show they might also enjoy.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #20
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
There won't be any meh's with this one. You'll either love it (I do) or hate it. No in-between.

Usually I can describe a new show to a friend by saying "it's X meets Y" or "it's a lot like Z". I can't think of a way to describe this one. That's a good thing in my book.
I find myself currently at meh.
I really like Jay Baruchel, so when I saw the promo, I fired up the SP.

After two episodes, meh. And I like weird. I'm giving it a third episode to push me off the fence.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #21
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:

Did you get to the end of the blind date?

My wife enjoyed the first episode!

Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 PM   #22
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I liked the second episode a lot more than the first.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #23
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

It's definitely different from everything else out there, in ways that are both good and bad. The main thing is that it sticks with a gag *way* longer than you think they are going to. So when it works (i.e. Hitler, the texting war room) the scenario builds upon itself, and it's really, really funny. But man, when a bit falls flat (i.e. the troll), it goes on seemingly forever.

For now, I'm sticking with it, because I like shows that dare to be different and try something new.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #24
wouldworker
_

Are we supposed to take the events of the show at face value, as if they are really happening, or are we supposed to view them as metaphors for how Josh sees the world? That is, is his ex really dating Hitler or is Josh just projecting that image onto her boyfriend?

Either way, I watched the first two episodes but I'm not going to watch any more.

wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #25
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
It's definitely different from everything else out there, in ways that are both good and bad. The main thing is that it sticks with a gag *way* longer than you think they are going to. So when it works (i.e. Hitler, the texting war room) the scenario builds upon itself, and it's really, really funny. But man, when a bit falls flat (i.e. the troll), it goes on seemingly forever.

For now, I'm sticking with it, because I like shows that dare to be different and try something new.
I think we are used to the shows like Family Guy handles these side, make believe scenes. They are quick, couple second scenes and then we get back to the real world. This show goes into these crazy scenes and they hang out there for a while.

I think the war room scene was the biggest reason I liked the second episode.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #26
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
Are we supposed to take the events of the show at face value, as if they are really happening, or are we supposed to view them as metaphors for how Josh sees the world? That is, is his ex really dating Hitler or is Josh just projecting that image onto her boyfriend?

Either way, I watched the first two episodes but I'm not going to watch any more.

?? I don't see that there is any other way to take the show other than the former - that these little vignettes are metaphors for how Josh feels/sees what's going on around him. Unless you think - in the show world - that Hitler is alive and Josh went on a blind date with an actual troll and no one seemed to notice or care.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
?? I don't see that there is any other way to take the show other than the former - that these little vignettes are metaphors for how Josh feels/sees what's going on around him. Unless you think - in the show world - that Hitler is alive and Josh went on a blind date with an actual troll and no one seemed to notice or care.
Huh, I saw it the exact opposite...that the show takes place in a surreal world. Otherwise, you're left wondering why everybody was responding to his Trollism the way they did (and clearly, everybody else did notice that she was a troll; it just wasn't a big deal to them) and why everybody knew (and accepted) that Hitler was still alive.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Huh, I saw it the exact opposite...that the show takes place in a surreal world. Otherwise, you're left wondering why everybody was responding to his Trollism the way they did (and clearly, everybody else did notice that she was a troll; it just wasn't a big deal to them) and why everybody knew (and accepted) that Hitler was still alive.
Huh. I guess I never considered that. I just figured it was all metaphor. At least I wasn't too snarky with my earlier response!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #29
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I killed the SP when they got to Hitler on the first episode.

I don't get it. This is exactly the kind of show I would like and think is funny. I don't understand why I hated it. I'm thinking I'll revisit this show and wonder how in the world I hated it.

Until that happens, I HATED it.

Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #30
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
After this last ep, do we still think that this takes place in a surreal world?

Spoiler:
Because his hands just up and jumped off his body!