TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #211
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Anyone interested in testing a new Zipper feature, please PM me. You must have an image on your tools disk.

so Russ,
what's this new Zipper feature, do tell us, I know it has to be good, since you're involved
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #212
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
so Russ,
what's this new Zipper feature, do tell us, I know it has to be good, since you're involved
Can't say until I know it works!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #213
bnm81002

Quote:
Can't say until I know it works!!

I hope it doesn't require burning a "new" Tools Disk again
Old 10-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #214
Dirac

I decided to start using an R/W.

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #215
mikehome

Can ya guys give me a little more help?

I bought another DTV Tivo fromm ebay so I could do MRV. Its a Samsung 40 hr. I hooked it up and it already has 6.2 on it. I tried to access "Now Playing" after waiting for the screen looking for a satelitte signal to time out ( dont have sateliite or phone line plugged to it) . It says it needs a test call before I can access "now playing". I know I need to be able to access "now playing" b4 I can use MRV

I also tried a 80 gig hd in it that was the original drive from my 80 hr Samsung That also has 6.2 on it, as well as recorded shows. I cant access "now playing" because it says a serious error has occured and a restart is needed. This is the same error you get when you put a fresh image from instant cake on a new drive. I assume this is because the HD has some data from a the other Samsung model. If i do a clear and delete on it.... I will have to do guided setup and it will definitely want to dial up before "now playing" is accessible

What is the best way to to proceed to use MRV on this Tivo. I need to put zipper and enhancements on one of the drives, but not sure how to proceed and which drive to use

Thanks in advace.
mikehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #216
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

just pick a drive
zipper it
run 51killer.tcl from bash to get rid of that serrious error has occured message
fakecall.tcl takes care of the need to call in stuff.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:55 PM   #217
tivoenthused

HELP!
When I created my original Zipper disk, the file named tivotools.tar was somehow renamed to tivotools[1].tar. I didn't catch this until I tried to zipper the drive. The readout told me it was unable to find the tivotools.tar file/directory..... I still got the "success!" message, but I had a feeling somethings were missed because the zipper couldn't find the tivotools.tar.

I susbequently created a new disk with the correct file name, I attempted to go through the process again (insert the PTV disk, then the zipper disk), but got the following readout (see below). Am I good to go? If not, what do I do now? huge thanks from a Linux idiot.

Here's the readout from the 2nd attempt:
Copying tivotools to busybox...
mkdir: Cannot create directory '/tivo/busybox': File exists
Disabling firewall...
mv: unable to rename '/tivo/etc/netfilter-enable': No such file or directory
Copying author file...
Creating flag for enhancements script...
Copying hacks to tivo drive...
mkdir: Cannot create directory 'tivo/hacks': File exists
Copying hacked kernal to tivo drive...
VMLINUX_.GZ 40.4% -- replaced with VMLINUX_

1+1 records in
1+1 records out

Success! Your drive is now hacked. Install in your Tivo and boot.

ANY IDEAS?
tivoenthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:57 PM   #218
mikehome

Thats some of the best news I heard today...... believe me...It was a rough day at work. This is a great place to hang. You guys sure come through quickly. Thanks a million!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #219
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirac
I decided to start using an R/W.
I burned about 25 tools disks while testing the Zipper. Finally woke up and started using R/W. The problem was that I honestly believed each one would work, and would be the last one I would need.

or

Old 10-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #220
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoenthused
HELP!
When I created my original Zipper disk, the file named tivotools.tar was somehow renamed to tivotools[1].tar. I didn't catch this until I tried to zipper the drive. The readout told me it was unable to find the tivotools.tar file/directory..... I still got the "success!" message, but I had a feeling somethings were missed because the zipper couldn't find the tivotools.tar.

I susbequently created a new disk with the correct file name, I attempted to go through the process again (insert the PTV disk, then the zipper disk), but got the following readout (see below). Am I good to go? If not, what do I do now? huge thanks from a Linux idiot.

Here's the readout from the 2nd attempt:
Copying tivotools to busybox...
mkdir: Cannot create directory '/tivo/busybox': File exists
Disabling firewall...
mv: unable to rename '/tivo/etc/netfilter-enable': No such file or directory
Copying author file...
Creating flag for enhancements script...
Copying hacks to tivo drive...
mkdir: Cannot create directory 'tivo/hacks': File exists
Copying hacked kernal to tivo drive...
VMLINUX_.GZ 40.4% -- replaced with VMLINUX_

1+1 records in
1+1 records out

Success! Your drive is now hacked. Install in your Tivo and boot.

ANY IDEAS?
You are good to go. This is expected behavior if you run the zipper twice.

or

Old 10-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #221
tivoenthused

Just booted up in the TiVo.... all is well.... whew!!!! Thanks again, I am about start on the 2nd box.

One final TWP question: How do I access TWP from outside my network? Is it possible if I have DHCP enabled?
tivoenthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:36 PM   #222
rbautch
User

One secure method is to use a remote access service like www.logmein.com, or the remote access feature built in to Windows XP pro.

or

Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #223
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes
I advise going into tivoweb.cfg and setting a username and password
after that it is as simple as going into your router and forwarding port 80 to the IP address of your tivo
to access your Tivo from the internet, you use your IP address that gets provided to you by your ISP
to find it you can use whatismyip.com
Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #224
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

or do what rbautch suggests
maybe we should take shifts Russ
Old 10-20-2005, 10:38 PM   #225
gfr7
Linux lacking user

WOW you guys rock ! if i had only waited one more day maybe it wouldn't have spent 6+ hours on my upgrade ( i did the hnsdl method ) altho some of that time was my fault , i didn't realise that my sir4040 was a rid unit and then there was the dl of the instacake and tools cds.(yes i went the (somewhat grey)legal way)
keep up the great work guys

Last edited by gfr7 : 10-20-2005 at 10:41 PM. Reason: misspelling
gfr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #226
ult4dr

Hr10-250

Hi Guys,

Can you tell me if these instructions work for this unit? HR10-250

Thanks

Ult4dr
ult4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #227
gsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult4dr
Hi Guys,

Can you tell me if these instructions work for this unit? HR10-250

Thanks

Ult4dr
If you actually go to the zipper site, the answer to that question is in an underlined red font at the top of the web site.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:04 AM   #228
rbautch
User

Nope.

or

Old 10-21-2005, 02:09 PM   #229
mercurial
Retro-Av

Glad I caught this since once my HR10-250 is upgraded, I'm starting on the SD Series 2's next week. Good work Gunnyman and rbautch! Will save me a bit of time and effor.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #230
mikehome

All,

Thanks to everyones help, I got my subbed DTV Tivo hacked and my non subbed DTV Tivo (MRV Tivo) up and running. 1 is hardwired and the other is wireless. MRV is so awesome. I appreciate everyones help. Zipper and rbautch's enhancements script is awesome.

Just curious... Is there anyways to run my regular subbed DTV reciever through the unsubbed dtv tivo so I can watch TV and/or record on the tivo? I doubt it, but its worth to ask.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:19 PM   #231
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

no mike
sorry
Old 10-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #232
gfr7
Linux lacking user

Question

IN the 6.2 upgrade is there any advantage besides the speed?
As i said above i just finished my 4.01b upgrade.

thankyou in advance
gfr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #233
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

no not really except for native support of large Hard Drives
If you are happy with 4.01b on your DTivo, theres not much reason to switch IMHO.
Just be aware that hack development on 4.01b will pretty much dry up soon.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #234
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
no not really except for native support of large Hard Drives
If you are happy with 4.01b on your DTivo, theres not much reason to switch IMHO.
Just be aware that hack development on 4.01b will pretty much dry up soon.

just curious, can rbautch's "scripts" be installed onto 4.01b or just 6.2 only? thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #235
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I do believe the enahncement script works on 4.01b
Old 10-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #236
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
just curious, can rbautch's "scripts" be installed onto 4.01b or just 6.2 only? thanks
Any Series 2 Tivo. It's a little broken for the HR10-250, but that's about to change.

or

Old 10-21-2005, 08:16 PM   #237
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Any Series 2 Tivo. It's a little broken for the HR10-250, but that's about to change.
And what, pray tell, will you be able to do with an HR10-250?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:00 PM   #238
rbautch
User

The HR10-250 has 3.x software, which is older than the 6.x or 7.x versions that the script has been tested on to date. Files are in different places, network settings are stored differently, etc..., all of which I have begun to adjust the script for. I'm testing things out now with the help of MisterEd, and I should have a beta version ready soon. Anyone with an HR10-250 is welcome to help me test.

Note that we are talking about the Enhancement script, not the Zipper.

or

Old 10-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #239
bnm81002

Quote:
Note that we are talking about the Enhancement script, not the Zipper.

curious again, why can't "The Zipper" be installed onto this unit? thanks
Old 10-21-2005, 09:14 PM   #240
rbautch
User

The process for hacking it is just different...different image, kernel, more tools need to be dowloaded to the tools disk. It can be done, but I just havent gotten around to looking at it seriously yet. I'm also skeptical about the demand for this hack, since DirecTV will be replacing this unit with a new mpeg-4 version, and swapping them out for free.

or