TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2005, 07:53 AM   #181
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

mike, we can't talk about extarcion here sorry.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #182
JediKnight2

Here you go http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv2184.htm? notice v.4 has both thumbs down...meaning no worky...sorry Gunny...

I am going to try to get the wusb11 tested this afternoon....I have one that is version 2.6 and one that is 2.8...both have dual thumbs up from Tivo...
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #183
mikehome

Wasnt't taling about extraction I didnt think. I thought maybe you could play the recordings thorugh the network on Windows media player vs playing them on directly on tivo. Maybe its still consifered extraction?
mikehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #184
Nugent

Followed the very well-written instructions, and everything worked perfectly up to the point of telnetting into the dtivo to run the enhancement script. Then I had a "d'oh!" moment when I realised that a wireless connection would not work. Maybe you want to add a note to "Before You Begin".

I have been happily running 4.0.1b up to now, always with a wireless usb connection. I don't have a usb-ethernet adaptor. So I guess I'll have to try to make up a cable and try a serial connection for the first time. A bit of a PITA.

Anyway, I want to add my vote of appreciation to Gunnyman and rbautch. I also firmly believe that DTV and TiVo both benefit from the availability of these enhancements.

Gunnyman, we are both in Greenville. Please PM me and I'll buy you lunch.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #185
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehome
Wasnt't taling about extraction I didnt think. I thought maybe you could play the recordings thorugh the network on Windows media player vs playing them on directly on tivo. Maybe its still consifered extraction?
Any talk of playing files from a Tivo on anything/anyway other than on a Tivo is considered extraction.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #186
mikehome

Gotcha......
Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #187
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugent
Followed the very well-written instructions, and everything worked perfectly up to the point of telnetting into the dtivo to run the enhancement script. Then I had a "d'oh!" moment when I realised that a wireless connection would not work. Maybe you want to add a note to "Before You Begin".

I have been happily running 4.0.1b up to now, always with a wireless usb connection. I don't have a usb-ethernet adaptor. So I guess I'll have to try to make up a cable and try a serial connection for the first time. A bit of a PITA.

Anyway, I want to add my vote of appreciation to Gunnyman and rbautch. I also firmly believe that DTV and TiVo both benefit from the availability of these enhancements.

Gunnyman, we are both in Greenville. Please PM me and I'll buy you lunch.
Good point about the before you begin there Nugent.
Sending PM now
PS I like BBQ
Old 10-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #188
JediKnight2

New 704 is just finishing its call ins and then its...hack'n time. The nice lady at DTV even let me resub a unsubbed card from the customer that unsubbed it and sold it to me....HEHEHEHehe which means that I atleast have one other card that is nice and tied to my name as well as another that was reported missing..IT WAS, about a month after DTV called me and sent out another one my neighbor came over with it..apperently his daughter checked the mail one day and it ended up under the couch......I will call and cancel the receiver its replacing later....Crossin fingers...

Last edited by JediKnight2 : 10-19-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #189
dsmturbo

Okay, I done finished "Zippering" the 1st Zippered Tivo, and I just want to say ... Awesome guys...

Where do I send paypal donation? Comeon, you need to accept more then just a Group Hug!! Maybe a donation to your favorite Charity or something.

I must admit, using the Unguide and rbautch's script took me a Heck of alot longer then the Zipper method did. A big thanks to BTUx9 as well for assistance.

I love this place, it is Noob friendly
dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #190
dsmturbo

Forgot, when can we expect the Zipper V2 for HR10-250 ?? Please
Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #191
mikehome

Anychance someone can help me get cron to start automatically. For some reason....mine is not. I did a PS and it wasnt running, so I started it up via the Web interface. I would like it automated but I'm linux stupid. IF chron isnt running, then I suppose the reboots wouldnt work either. Wonder if those hacks made it in. Should I rerun the tweak.sh?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #192
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo
Okay, I done finished "Zippering" the 1st Zippered Tivo, and I just want to say ... Awesome guys...

Where do I send paypal donation? Comeon, you need to accept more then just a Group Hug!! Maybe a donation to your favorite Charity or something.

I must admit, using the Unguide and rbautch's script took me a Heck of alot longer then the Zipper method did. A big thanks to BTUx9 as well for assistance.

I love this place, it is Noob friendly
Since Sanderton was kind enough to allow me to use EndPad(Plus) in the next version of the Enhancement script, anyone who wants to show their appreciation can make a donation to the very worthwhile charity referenced here. ...unless you live in SC, then you can buy some BBQ for Gunnyman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #193
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehome
Anychance someone can help me get cron to start automatically. For some reason....mine is not. I did a PS and it wasnt running, so I started it up via the Web interface. I would like it automated but I'm linux stupid. IF chron isnt running, then I suppose the reboots wouldnt work either. Wonder if those hacks made it in. Should I rerun the tweak.sh?
Re-running the script won't help, unless you run the uninstall script first. Uninstall/reinstall takes about 5 minutes, and it's a very simple thing to try. Did you reboot after you ran the Enhancement script? Did you check the logs I mentioned before? (to check a log, open it with vi). You can also check the author file to see if the startup command for crond was appended as it should have been. You can also start crond manually with Hackman, or by navigating to the buysbox directory and typing "crond". There are more cron troubleshooting tips in the enhancement thread and elsewhere on TCF.

or

Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #194
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmturbo
Forgot, when can we expect the Zipper V2 for HR10-250 ?? Please
Zipper v2 may add wireless support, but beyond that, who knows...By the way, I'm tweaking the Enhancement script already to accommodate the HR10-250.

or

Old 10-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #195
JediKnight2

Up and running wirelessly with a Linksys wusb11 v2.8
Old 10-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #196
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Keep the success stories coming guys!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #197
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony
Please, include a PDF instead of a Word .doc file (that way you control the source code of the doc) - you can make PDFs for free by using http://www.pdf995.com/

Goony

will you guys be doing this?
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #198
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I've sent it to Rbautch ball's in his court now
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 PM   #199
rbautch
User

Done.

or

Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 AM   #200
rbautch
User

Anyone interested in testing a new Zipper feature, please PM me. You must have an image on your tools disk.

or

Old 10-20-2005, 02:07 AM   #201
floppy_joe

Village idiot has questions

Background:
I have a hacked dtivo hughes series 2 with 2 drives
Followed the 4.x Rid guide, learned more about linux then i ever cared to
worked great, has been for over a long time til I dared to go back to the forums and realized I could now do 6.2!
Although this time the guide (upgrading by slices) ruined everything.
Now I have 6.2 but lost networking (wireless), telnet and ftp, the best things.
I can get a bash by serial but cant seem to fix anything, whenever I try to run anything from Bash I get ugly errors ad reboots, so obviously something didnt go right. Which brings me here. The zipper sounds very simple.
Questions:
1. Can I just pull my hacked drive and follow your steps on it or format it and start blank? ( i still have the original in storage)
2. Will I still be able to have the 2nd larger drive installed with it
3. Now the real ignorance is showing, what about things like killhdinitrd and installSw.itcl, does zipper take care of all that?
4. Noticed in posts that wireless work with zipper, is there a way to set it up afterward maybe from serial?

Thank you,
its guys like me that annoy the hell out of you, but its guys like you that piss off my wife by leading me down paths I shouldnt go.

floppy_joe
floppy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #202
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

1) yes you can but be aware the best way to procede, is to use instantcake with both drives connected to your PC before you run the Zipper script you will of course lose shows.
2) see item 1
3) Zipper does do a killhdinitrd kernel for you.
4) I need Rbautch to clarify, but I don't think you can get wireless configured unless you connect first with a wired adapter.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:47 AM   #203
mikehome

Hi all.....yes its me again. I got stupid last night and deleted the wrong file while I was FTP'd into my Tivo. Well.. long story short... My tivo wouldnt finish powering up and a reboot.

I just put a fresh 6.2 image on it with instant cake.

Question: Do I need to hook it up for a few days to talk to DTV/Tivo (update guide + have and have at least 1 sucessfull connection) before I run Zipper and enhancements again or can I go ahead and put on Zipper + enhancements.

Thanks!

At least I'm getting some practice at hacking Tivo
Old 10-20-2005, 08:06 AM   #204
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Mike
as long as you have your channels and access to your Now Playing list, you can Zipper.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:33 AM   #205
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppy_joe
4. Noticed in posts that wireless work with zipper, is there a way to set it up afterward maybe from serial?
Yes, check the script in my signature. You can set up wireless easily, but you need either with a wired adapter or a serial cable to run the script. I may eliminate this requirement in the future version of the Zipper.

or

Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 AM   #206
JWThiers
Smartypants

Thumbs up Zipper CD tip

To make things a bit easier down the road (ie next time you use this fantastic tool 6 months from now), include the PDF instructions on the CD that way you will always have them available when you use it.

Might be a good idea to include the PDF in the zip download.
JWThiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:28 AM   #207
JediKnight2

rbautch, Im game. I am going to zipper another drive this weekend if you need a guinea pig....

NOTE the only thing with wireless is that you have to pick a predefined WEP key and its only 64-bit....of course if you are running WEP someone could crack your 128-bit encryption just as easy...encryption and wireless protection only keep some out...if ANYONE wants in bad enough...they will find a way in..
Old 10-20-2005, 12:30 PM   #208
dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Since Sanderton was kind enough to allow me to use EndPad(Plus) in the next version of the Enhancement script, anyone who wants to show their appreciation can make a donation to the very worthwhile charity referenced here. ...unless you live in SC, then you can buy some BBQ for Gunnyman.
The donation page has expired, so I donated in memory here:

https://secureccs.ca/donations/donat...div=18&lang=en

You guys are the best
Old 10-20-2005, 12:42 PM   #209
dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Zipper v2 may add wireless support, but beyond that, who knows...By the way, I'm tweaking the Enhancement script already to accommodate the HR10-250.

For real? Wicked rbautch...I can not wait. I assume that this may enable networking, fackcall etc for Hr10-250 as well as drive support (larger)
Old 10-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #210
rbautch
User

Actually the Enhancement script only works on a Tivo that's already been hacked to allow networking. It's packaged with the Zipper to run on the Tivo after the Zipper does it's thing on the PC to allow networking. HD support for the Zipper is not yet on the table.

or