TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #1801
qwertypo

Is it possible to recover old recordings from my OG drive, and put them on my New Zippered drive? or

Should I zipper my OG drive, and add my new drive a second drive?

Is there a way, or are they all gone?

Thank you.
qwertypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #1802
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor
Just my luck I must have downloaded the file just prior to the changes.

While I'm burning another disk, can I run zipper step N while the drive is still in my PC?

Just wanting to activate it while I'm waiting on some other USB ethernet solution.
Nope. Most of it will fail, because it depends on tivosh, which only fires up on the Tivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #1803
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Nope. Most of it will fail, because it depends on tivosh, which only fires up on the Tivo.
Thanks.

I guess that I'll order another USB adapter and wait until it arrives before I can enable the hacks. Correct?

T
Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #1804
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o
bnm81002,

I too have the OEM version of Nero. I clicked the "Copy & Backup" icon and then the "Burn Image To Disc" option. I have all the correct files using those options.

Why this makes a difference, I do not know. I read Gunnyman telling someone to do it this way. After all, Gunnyman & rbautch are The Tivo Masters.

I have the OEM version of Nero Express, I don't have the Nero Burning ROM at all, so what you suggested doesn't work for me, but thanks anyway
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #1805
tonydi

Does your OEM Nero have Nero SmartStart? That's where you'll find the Copy and Burn CD section. You'll probably have to use the little horizontal scroll bar to see the Burn Image to Disc item.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Nero.gif (61.9 KB, 21 views)
tonydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM   #1806
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydi
Does your OEM Nero have Nero SmartStart? That's where you'll find the Copy and Burn CD section. You'll probably have to use the little horizontal scroll bar to see the Burn Image to Disc item.

no I don't, all I have is the Nero Express OEM Suite version, no Nero version at all, this software came with the Lite-On combo drive(CD-RW-DVD-ROM drive), I guess I'll write(burn) the tools disk by copying it onto the combo drive through "My Computer" in Windows, hopefully that will work
my computer > local disk (C > tools disk folder > file and folder tasks > copy this folder > DVD/CD-RW drive (D > copy > CD writing tasks > write these files to CD
that's how I figure to burn the Tools disk to a CD
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #1807
GaryD9

At work, and up to post 903 in this thread - figured I'd post now before I have to get "real" work done instead of reading TCF...

Installed zipper on a HDVR2 two nights ago. All appeared to go well. (FA120... 160GB drive that has been only used for 137 for 2 years now...) Wonderful script. One issue I noticed:

Appears that cron rebooted the tivo last night, but when it came back up, it left the root drive in rw. I manually remounted it to ro, but it appears that this should have been taken care of in the author file. Thoughts?

And an outright question: The "Tivo_Zipper" instructions page has some information that seems a bit confusing. At the top, it says HR10-250 is supported. Then Step1 is to obtain a 6.2 image. PTV doesn't appear to have a 6.2 image for this particular unit (and the newest I've been able to find there is 3.1.xxx) So, is there a 6.2 for the HDTivo floating around someplace? (For that matter, and a bit off topic, is there ANY version for the HR10-250 that supports folders/groups, etc?)

Thanks again for the work
Gary
GaryD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #1808
rpdre1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD9

And an outright question: The "Tivo_Zipper" instructions page has some information that seems a bit confusing. At the top, it says HR10-250 is supported. Then Step1 is to obtain a 6.2 image. PTV doesn't appear to have a 6.2 image for this particular unit (and the newest I've been able to find there is 3.1.xxx) So, is there a 6.2 for the HDTivo floating around someplace? (For that matter, and a bit off topic, is there ANY version for the HR10-250 that supports folders/groups, etc?)
you're right, but to quickly answer your question, there's no 6.2 for the hdtivo yet. there might be hope for directv to release it in the future because at CES 2005 directv had hr10-250's on display running a beta 6.2.

you could use 3.15f image in place of the 6.2 image for that step.

originally the zipper didnt support the hr10-250 but later it did and the instructions weren't updated to reflect that. now that rbautch sees this, im sure he'll fix it.
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #1809
etsolow
Don't Try

TC CLUB MEMBER
Would the 6.2 image for an HDVR2 work on an HR10-250?
etsolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #1810
rbautch
User

No.

or

Old 12-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #1811
rbautch
User

Quote:
At work, and up to post 903 in this thread - figured I'd post now before I have to get "real" work done instead of reading TCF...

Installed zipper on a HDVR2 two nights ago. All appeared to go well. (FA120... 160GB drive that has been only used for 137 for 2 years now...) Wonderful script. One issue I noticed:

Appears that cron rebooted the tivo last night, but when it came back up, it left the root drive in rw. I manually remounted it to ro, but it appears that this should have been taken care of in the author file. Thoughts?

Thanks again for the work
Gary
Kudos on doing your homework before starting. Try rebooting again to see if it still comes up rw. You're right about the HR10 and the instructions. I'll fix them this week.

or

Old 12-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #1812
GaryD9

Quote:
Kudos on doing your homework before starting. Try rebooting again to see if it still comes up rw. You're right about the HR10 and the instructions. I'll fix them this week.
Finally through all 1800+ posts. Ugh.

I'll try rebooting again tonight (according to TWP, wife is watching something right now.. )

As for the HR10, and trying to summarize everything I've seen in this thread:

Does NOT use (nor require) 6.2 software (but still uses 3.1 software)

Because of this, the following features can't be enabled: MRV, HMO, Folders, and the 6.2speed increase.

(In other words, the reason to run 'zipper' on an HDirecTivo would only be for callerID, networking (FA120), TWP, 30sec skip, backdoors, and so that things can work with the un-mentionable server that starts with the letter 't', and ends with the word 'server'.)

Is this correct, or did I miss something?

Thanks

(edit to add TWP to the list of things working)
(edit to add 30-sec skip + backdoors)
Gary

Last edited by GaryD9 : 12-12-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #1813
rpdre1

actually, version 3 added hdtivo patches for permanent 30 sec skip.
also disables encryption (you will have to unscramble the pre-zipper recordings to use letter t+server), menu sort, enables backdoors.
rpdre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #1814
RMH2020

Buy and Record future PPV programs

First, let me add my thanks to Gunnyman and Rbautch and many others for great work and support in making the upgrade/hacking process so much easier for most of us.

I've been running a zippered DTiVo for a couple weeks now and almost everything has been working great.

The only issue bugging me right now is not being able to Buy and Record future PPV programs. I have searched the forums for several days to try to find an answer or even understand this situation, but I'm not finding anything useful.

At one time, it seemed a hack called noppv was included in the superpatch, but it is not clear if it is still in superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.1 or if the functionality is included in some other element of Zipper or Tweak or other file set. From the description of noppv, it sounds like that is what is causing what I am seeing. However, I don't see noppv anywhere in the files I can look at.

Any ideas on how to correct this or where to look for the answer.

Thanks a bunch!
RMH2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #1815
GaryD9

Quote:
Right after a reboot, while it's pulling sat info:

Code:
gdezern@server ~ $ telnet 192.168.0.10
Trying 192.168.0.10...
Connected to 192.168.0.10.
Escape character is '^]'.
refurb-TiVo# uptime
 00:05:37 up 3 min, load average: 2.24, 1.06, 0.40
refurb-TiVo# mount
/dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda9 on /var type ext2 (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
refurb-TiVo#
Not sure why this is happening, as the author file remounts as ro after running network.tcl. Hmm.. lemme get rid of that block in the script (the remount to rw, running of network.tcl, and remount to ro) and try again...
Old 12-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #1816
GaryD9

Quote:
Hmm.. lemme get rid of that block in the script (the remount to rw, running of network.tcl, and remount to ro) and try again...
That fixed it. I wonder if that should be automated somehow... My WAG is that tivosh still has the file "network.tcl" open when the command to remount to read-only is run... and the remount fails because of that. I don't think ext2 (or the 2.4 linux kernel) supports lazy remounts...
Old 12-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #1817
GaryD9

Okay, with that resolved (for me), I'm curious about a couple things:

Why does the enchancement script go through so much work to PREVENT the dtivo from phoning home? I'd think that the worst that would happen would be that the dtivo would pick up a couple of certs for MRV and HMO - but it should be easy enough to automatically nuke those every now and then...

The reason I ask is - NCID is useless without the phone line, and forcing a 3am(CST) reboot (which is 6am EST) just happens to be near the same time that one of the kiddie shows my daughter loves comes on... So either I give up NCID - or tell my two year old daughter that she can't have something. (Yes, I AM wrapped around her little finger.) I suppose I could find/fix the crontab entry for the rebooting - but I'd rather not have tivo rebooting twice a week at all. This thing is CONSTANTLY recording stuff.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #1818
Diana Collins

First, 3AM CST is 4AM EST (only one hour time difference between Central and Eastern time).

If you want to change the reboot time, you can adjust it in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root file. There time is in UT, so add 5 hours to the desired time.

Finally, there are static routes in the Zipper script that will stop certificate downloads. The main reason you don't want the TiVo dialing (besides the annoyance of it pickup the phone all the time) is that tcphonehome sometimes fails to close the modem, rendering NCID inoperative until you reboot.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:18 PM   #1819
yankeestom

Pulled my drive, ran Zipper, reinstalled and rebooted, and everything looked fine until I tried to use the remote. No response to any buttons, and the light on the front of the unit does not brighten when I press buttons like it did before. I opened it back up and removed and reseated the cable that goes from the motherboard to the front panel (on the motherboard end of the cable), and it seems like the connection is good. But I can't get to the panel end to check it; are there screws somewhere I'm not seeing? How to I get in to check that end of the cable? And is there anything else I should be checking besides that cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.
yankeestom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #1820
austin61

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeestom
Pulled my drive, ran Zipper, reinstalled and rebooted, and everything looked fine until I tried to use the remote. No response to any buttons, and the light on the front of the unit does not brighten when I press buttons like it did before. I opened it back up and removed and reseated the cable that goes from the motherboard to the front panel (on the motherboard end of the cable), and it seems like the connection is good. But I can't get to the panel end to check it; are there screws somewhere I'm not seeing? How to I get in to check that end of the cable? And is there anything else I should be checking besides that cable?

Was the cable going to the front panel "either slightly or completely removed from the motherboard" during power up? If so you could have this issue

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=105719
austin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:23 PM   #1821
yankeestom

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin61
Was the cable going to the front panel "either slightly or completely removed from the motherboard" during power up? If so you could have this issue

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=105719
Yep, that must be what happened. Thanks for the link; I'll try the "wait 15 minutes and try again" trick, and if that doesn't work I'll break out the soldering iron.

Thanks again for the assist.
yankeestom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:29 AM   #1822
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeestom

I took pictures of how to get the front panel off in case you need to check the other end of the cable. Here's a link to my post about it: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3445157
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:00 AM   #1823
dcorbell

Question Linksys WUSB12 & SIR4120

I've got the SIR4120 and the Linksys WUSB12, which by all counts is a working card. I turned off the WEP on my WRT54G, which is set to mixed mode. Got the CD with the correct kernel from the ptvupgrade site (bought the cd), ran the zipper script. Everything copied successfully.

I correctly entered my IP information and I can't get connected to the network. I've tested the WUSB12 and it works properly. I get the power light when I put it in the tivo, but no link light. Ever.

Should this setup be working? Do I need to connect with a wired adapter first, then setup the wireless? Is it just a bum card, and I should try something else?

Any help would be very, very, appreciated.
dcorbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 AM   #1824
Greencat

Anyone know what needs to be done to a Stand Alone tivo so that it can MRV with a Dtivo?
Greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 AM   #1825
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

it needs to be hacked with killhdinitrd (or a prom mod) then have super patch run on it.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:26 AM   #1826
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorbell
I've got the SIR4120 and the Linksys WUSB12, which by all counts is a working card. I turned off the WEP on my WRT54G, which is set to mixed mode. Got the CD with the correct kernel from the ptvupgrade site (bought the cd), ran the zipper script. Everything copied successfully.

I correctly entered my IP information and I can't get connected to the network. I've tested the WUSB12 and it works properly. I get the power light when I put it in the tivo, but no link light. Ever.

Should this setup be working? Do I need to connect with a wired adapter first, then setup the wireless? Is it just a bum card, and I should try something else?

Any help would be very, very, appreciated.
Your setup should work fine. Confirm that you rebooted so the wireless settings take effect. If still no luck, connect with your wired adapter, open TWP, choose MFS from the main menu, then choose state, then network, then post your setting here. Depending on if you have the latest version of the Zipper, you could also run tivosh /enhancements/net-status.tcl, which would give you the same stats.

or

Old 12-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #1827
Greencat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
it needs to be hacked with killhdinitrd (or a prom mod) then have super patch run on it.
Do you know of any guides. This is for someone at my work and this is his first hack. I told him how he could get a cheap Dtivo and use it as a video server from his SA tivo.
Greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #1828
GaryD9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
The main reason you don't want the TiVo dialing (besides the annoyance of it pickup the phone all the time) is that tcphonehome sometimes fails to close the modem, rendering NCID inoperative until you reboot.
So if a person wants to leave their dtivo plugged into the phone line, and doesn't use NCID, then it's "safe" to leave the phone line plugged in? (Reason I'm asking like that is that I got the impression that letting a hacked dtivo phone home was a Bad Thing.)

rbautch, I'm going to whip up a small shell script to alter how the tivo reboot works:

(script would be run by cron, of course, daily at a given time.)

If tivo has rebooted in the last 3 days, do nothing.

If tivo has rebooted in the last 5 days, safe reboot (reboot only if nothing is being recorded)

If tivo hasn't rebooted in the last 5 days (and this is day six), reboot regardless of what might be recording.

This would give tivo a 3 day window to reboot if something isn't recording, and then it only forces the reboot if it's at the 6th day (as fakecall sets the callback for +7days)

If I get around to doing this (probably tonight, depending on the Chaos of my home) do you want a copy for inclusion with the rest of your scripts (and zipper, of course)?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:21 AM   #1829
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencat
Do you know of any guides. This is for someone at my work and this is his first hack. I told him how he could get a cheap Dtivo and use it as a video server from his SA tivo.
it all depends on what model standalone he has.
If its a newer tcd 54x series he's got a LOT of work ahead.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #1830
obe1

New WD250 Hard Drive

Iím wanting to Zipper my Hughes DVR80 with my new EIDE WD250g. Iím ok until Tools CD prompts me to install my PTV image. It reports that my hard drive C is read only. I thought PTV Tools CD took care of that. So how do I prepare my WD250 to accept my image? Thanks in advance.
obe1 is offline   Reply With Quote