TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #151
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

c0met,
try calling 1800 directv and when it asks if you have a 3 digit code on your screen punch in 711.
this will send an automated re-authorization to your Tivo.
Do you have access to your "Now Playing" list?
if not, telnet in and run 51killer.tcl and reboot the unit.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #152
mikehome

Great Job Guys!!!!!!!! Just finished running zipper and enhancements on my Tivo! It went flawless. My Hard wired USB adapter works great. I luv my Tivo again.

Seriously. Thanks again!
mikehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #153
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

way to go mike
Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM   #154
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0met
....after i zippered my 250 gb drive and installed it in the tivo...
Now I know it's a success. We have the first use of "Zipper" as a verb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #155
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

thhus it begins
Old 10-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #156
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
NOT that Im picky...cause you guys are AWESOME for doing this...but...one typo

cd/
should be
cd /

Good catch. Fixed.

or

Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #157
mikehome

After getting zipper and enhancements done.... I connected to Web plus and noticed that cron scheduler isn't running. Does it need to be? Don't recall it asking if I wanted it running but just to install

TY
Old 10-18-2005, 06:57 PM   #158
luken8628

how do i get this usb ethernet thing to work, i plugged it in and hooked up the wires but the tivo isnt getting an ip assigned.

EDIT:
Nevermind i just was doing some searching and found out that the linksys adapter i bought is incompatable, just my luck right lol. Well now im off to circuit city to buy a different one.

Last edited by luken8628 : 10-18-2005 at 07:10 PM.
luken8628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM   #159
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken8628
how do i get this usb ethernet thing to work, i plugged it in and hooked up the wires but the tivo isnt getting an ip assigned.

EDIT:
Nevermind i just was doing some searching and found out that the linksys adapter i bought is incompatable, just my luck right lol. Well now im off to circuit city to buy a different one.
I doubt Circuit City has a compatible 802.11b adapter. You may need an older model, best obtained from Ebay. Check out the links in post 137 for more info.

or

Old 10-18-2005, 08:47 PM   #160
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehome
After getting zipper and enhancements done.... I connected to Web plus and noticed that cron scheduler isn't running. Does it need to be? Don't recall it asking if I wanted it running but just to install

TY
Cron is probably running, but perhaps Hackman didn't pick it up. Type "ps" at bash, and look toward the bottom to see if "crond" is one of the processes that are currently running. You could also open the logs that are in /var/spool/cron/cronlogs to see if cron is working. There is more info on cron in the Enhancement script thread. There is also information on getting Hackman to find your hacks in the Hackman thread.

or

Old 10-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #161
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I doubt Circuit City has a compatible 802.11b adapter. You may need an older model, best obtained from Ebay. Check out the links in post 137 for more info.
I highly recomend the Netgear FA120
nice USB / ethernet adapter
Old 10-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #162
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken8628

EDIT:

find one that has an orange and white CD icon on the side of the box, which means it is version 1, no CD icon means version 2(these doesn't work with the Tivo and DTivo units)
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:26 PM   #163
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
My bad. I got wireless on the brain.

or

Old 10-18-2005, 09:28 PM   #164
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
find one that has an orange and white CD icon on the side of the box, which means it is version 1, no CD icon means version 2(these doesn't work with the Tivo and DTivo units)
Actually, the Enhancement script's USB 2.0 driver installation adds support for the version 2 adapter. Problem is you can't connect to run the script, unless you buy a serial cable and run it from serial bash.

or

Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #165
JediKnight2

I bought the FA120 for wired work, but you can find Linksys WIRELESS wusb11 versions 2.6 and 2.8 on ebay, if you are patient, for about 20 bucks plus shipping...
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #166
bnm81002

Quote:
Actually, the Enhancement script's USB 2.0 driver installation adds support for the version 2 adapter. Problem is you can't connect to run the script, unless you buy a serial cable and run it from serial bash.

that was just a heads up for people to know which version is which, there was a HUGE problem determining the 2 versions till "TivoPony" explained the difference
but I didn't know that a serial cable was needed to run the Version 2 adapter, thought once "Jamie" updated the 2.0 driver to include V.2 that is be ok to use, thanks for the info.
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:44 PM   #167
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

well ya need the serial cable because until you LOAD the driver, you can't use the Linksys adapter,
dang vicious circles
The 2.0 drivers don't get installed until the enhancement script is run
Old 10-19-2005, 02:52 AM   #168
tivoenthused

Gunny,

This is so awesome -- can't wait to try. One question: In reference to setting network parameters in the Zipper guide, can you comment on the benfits of setting static IPs for the units vs DHCP? If I choose static IPs, will I need to disable DHCP on my router?

Also, can you explain (or point me to where) if I want to continue to use DHCP, how I go into the Netconfig module of Tivowebplus and set it to DHCP after I'm finished running the scripts?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by tivoenthused : 10-19-2005 at 03:49 AM. Reason: clarification
tivoenthused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:13 AM   #169
goony

Quote:
I assume you are talking about printing the instructions. A very good idea...I'd add a downloadable Word or text file you can print.
Please, include a PDF instead of a Word .doc file (that way you control the source code of the doc) - you can make PDFs for free by using http://www.pdf995.com/

Goony
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 AM   #170
goony

Quote:
Yea, if you need a wired USB adapter that one has been working great for me too.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 AM   #171
goony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoenthused
One question: In reference to setting network parameters in the Zipper guide, can you comment on the benfits of setting static IPs for the units vs DHCP? If I choose static IPs, will I need to disable DHCP on my router?
Static IP means that your Tivo box will always have the same address and will never change... thus, when you access it with your web browser you know the address it will be at. If you have a static IP address set in your Tivo it will never ask for an address via DHCP. You can leave DHCP enabled on your router so other devices (like PCs or networked game boxes) can get an IP address if they need one.

DHCP permits the automatic assignment of an IP address for a device that doesn't have a static one. If your Tivo (or PC) doesn't have an IP address it will make a request on the local network and (usually) your router acting as a DHCP server will hand out an address beginning at some starting point, e.g. 192.168.0.100. The next DHCP address that would be handed out would be 192.168.0.101.

Nothing wrong with DHCP, except that if your Tivo were off the network for a while (say a few days) and then was re-connected there is no guarantee that your router would hand out the Tivo's original IP address again (maybe it gave the old Tivo address out to a new PC or Playstation on your home net)... if it gave out a different one than what was used before then you'd have to figure out what the new IP address the Tivo was using.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:47 AM   #172
Redux
No intent to annoy

In another lifetime I was one of the so-called Sleeper "fanboys", so my compliments to you guys have to be taken in the context of a populist rather than as one of the guardian priesthood of the sacred secrets.

You are real educators, tutors, and your process will teach much to many who would otherwise not be able to get a handle on the subject matter. An awful lot of people who get their start from guides/scripts like this become technically proficient developers/educators in their own right. You will be the spark for arousing curiosity and creativity, particularly among some kids, that may go far beyond the specific subject matter of the Tivo. But be warned that some of these same people may turn on you once they've gone beyond the introductory stage and decided to join the priesthood.

In any case there is one thing that bothers me about nearly all the approaches to manually upgrading DTivos to 6.2. There are subtle differences in the 6.2 OS, not only among Tivo make/model numbers, but among Tivo service number versions _within_ a specific make/model #.

I've not been able to pin down anything specific in the code, but among the many of my own DTivos and those I help friends out with there are differences in performance and dependability that I can't otherwise account for, and am beginning to suspect result from these subtleties.

I am coming to the view that the only safe 6.2 image for a particular DTivo is one that has been updated by Tivo. I'm suggesting, to those who can do it, to obtain an image not only specific to their DTivo but specific to the service number. One way is to install an earlier (valid) OS and wait for the receiver to update naturally, then start with that. Another is to beg for a very specific image.

Your whole process would remain intact for those heeding my suspicion, they would just be very careful as to the image going in.

As I say, this is just a suspicion, I'd be interested in your view.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 AM   #173
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Brand NEW Linky WUSB11 - $9.99 Amazon.com

Quote:
I bought the FA120 for wired work, but you can find Linksys WIRELESS wusb11 versions 2.6 and 2.8 on ebay, if you are patient, for about 20 bucks plus shipping...

Brand NEW Linky WUSB11 from Amazon.com $9.99 after rebate & free shipping. Expires 10/24/05

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...331040-6325576
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:03 AM   #174
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoenthused
Gunny,

This is so awesome -- can't wait to try. One question: In reference to setting network parameters in the Zipper guide, can you comment on the benfits of setting static IPs for the units vs DHCP? If I choose static IPs, will I need to disable DHCP on my router?

Also, can you explain (or point me to where) if I want to continue to use DHCP, how I go into the Netconfig module of Tivowebplus and set it to DHCP after I'm finished running the scripts?

Thanks in advance
DHCP is enabled by deault
The only benefit to static, is always knowing where your tivo is.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #175
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux
In another lifetime I was one of the so-called Sleeper "fanboys", so my compliments to you guys have to be taken in the context of a populist rather than as one of the guardian priesthood of the sacred secrets.

You are real educators, tutors, and your process will teach much to many who would otherwise not be able to get a handle on the subject matter. An awful lot of people who get their start from guides/scripts like this become technically proficient developers/educators in their own right. You will be the spark for arousing curiosity and creativity, particularly among some kids, that may go far beyond the specific subject matter of the Tivo. But be warned that some of these same people may turn on you once they've gone beyond the introductory stage and decided to join the priesthood.

In any case there is one thing that bothers me about nearly all the approaches to manually upgrading DTivos to 6.2. There are subtle differences in the 6.2 OS, not only among Tivo make/model numbers, but among Tivo service number versions _within_ a specific make/model #.

I've not been able to pin down anything specific in the code, but among the many of my own DTivos and those I help friends out with there are differences in performance and dependability that I can't otherwise account for, and am beginning to suspect result from these subtleties.

I am coming to the view that the only safe 6.2 image for a particular DTivo is one that has been updated by Tivo. I'm suggesting, to those who can do it, to obtain an image not only specific to their DTivo but specific to the service number. One way is to install an earlier (valid) OS and wait for the receiver to update naturally, then start with that. Another is to beg for a very specific image.

Your whole process would remain intact for those heeding my suspicion, they would just be very careful as to the image going in.

As I say, this is just a suspicion, I'd be interested in your view.
From what Lou at PTV Upgrade has told us, Instantcake images ARE model specific thus TSN specific since the last 3 digits if the TSN indiicate Tivo Model.
Thanks for the words of praise and the concern though, and you are correct, the BEST way to get this done is if your unit already has 6.2 on it MOST people have 6.2 now. The other thing that everyone should do, is use a different hard drive and put the factory drive away someplace in case of failure.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:25 AM   #176
JediKnight2

Quote:
Brand NEW Linky WUSB11 from Amazon.com $9.99 after rebate & free shipping. Expires 10/24/05
AHH, but the new version of wusb11 is v.4.0 and in the great words of the wise one...version 4.0 no workey...
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #177
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I don't recall saying that
I do know that the Linksys USB200M 2.0 no worky (note there is no "e" in worky)

Old 10-19-2005, 07:33 AM   #178
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Question

Quote:
AHH, but the new version of wusb11 is v.4.0 and in the great words of the wise one...version 4.0 no workey...

Damn, I knew it was too good to be true. I didn't see anything about the version specifics. Bummer.

The list on Tivo.com - show adapters that work in up to version 7.x. Is the 7.x Tivo greater than the 6.2 Dtivo? I ask because on this page there is no mention of the FA120, which is reported here as working. Also, nowhere on that same page is the WUSB11!

I guess I'm confused as to what adapters work & don't. I guess the directions to the Tivo.com site list of adapters is wrong.

Last edited by stevecon : 10-19-2005 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added info WUSB11
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:42 AM   #179
rbautch
User

Quote:
From what Lou at PTV Upgrade has told us, Instantcake images ARE model specific thus TSN specific since the last 3 digits if the TSN indiicate Tivo Model.
Thanks for the words of praise and the concern though, and you are correct, the BEST way to get this done is if your unit already has 6.2 on it MOST people have 6.2 now. The other thing that everyone should do, is use a different hard drive and put the factory drive away someplace in case of failure.
I don't think there is any difference between the images you get from Instantcake and the software downloaded directlly from Tivo. PTVupgrade knows the exact differences between model/service numbers and has tailored thier product accordingly. I highly doubt any random anomolous behavior can be attributed to having an Instancake image versus a download from Tivo. An image gotten from Emule is another matter. On the other hand, I personally have been using an image that's not meant for my Tivo for 6 months with no ill effects.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 10-19-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:45 AM   #180
mikehome

As always.. thanks for the help. I had always wanted to hack my tivo, but never wanted to go through all the trouble with some of the linux scripting out there. Just didnt trust it I suppose.Zipper made it SOOOOOO painless. Ok.... enough of the brown nosing

1. Anyone verify that the Linksys USB111 wireless adapter works (I have 2.6)

2. Can you play the recordings from your PC, and what is the process. I seen in WebPlus viA hackman, that there was a mplayer service that you can run. Does that have anything to do with it? Maybe you could give me the steps to get this going? Thanks!

PS.. I just bought another Dtivo on ebay so I could use MRV. Sick huh