TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #1621
curbside

Well, I followed the directions to Zipper to the letter and have my Directivo working now but I can't telnet into it. I went out this morning and bought a FA120 adaptor. The power light is on but no connection. I gave the box a static address of 64.x.x.x. I have 8 statics in my home network. I can telnet to my other servers, etc. but not to the tivo I've rebooted and have done the suggestion by DLiquid, but to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
curbside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #1622
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
I know nothing about 64 bit amd so this is a shot in teh dark, is there a setting in the bios for better 32 bit compatibility?
The boot disk doesn't work with some AMD motherboards. Check the PTVupgrade forums for more information. If you have a different PC, try it. It could also be a bad burn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #1623
joeblow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
To confirm that the block allocation size was the culprit, could you try it again with your exact procedure, but with -r 0?
Well I went ahead and tried it rbautch and if someone wants to explain it to me please do. What you had me try also worked it had the same result and said I had 285 hours of recording exactly the same as when I followed JamieP's advice. Is there an advantage to one over the other. I am thinking the -r 0 probably is more efficient with the disk space?

Anyway I am not sure where that puts us but hopefully that helps!!

Rbautch is da man too!!
joeblow17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #1624
rbautch
User

Now try it by letting the Zipper restore your drive again. Since the mfsadd block allocation switch (-r) set to 0 didnt prevent your tivo from booting, then the standard zipper restore should work.

or

Old 12-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #1625
joeblow17

Quote:
Now try it by letting the Zipper restore your drive again. Since the mfsadd block allocation switch (-r) set to 0 didnt prevent your tivo from booting, then the standard zipper restore should work.
I don't know what to tell you I tried 5 or 6 times on this same drive with the standard procedure. All I can report is my findings. It works using

mfsrestore -s 127 -bzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hdc
mfsadd -r (0 or 4 -x) /dev/hdc

but not just using the script to restore the image. Either way I am happy to be up and running. I hope that helps somewhat maybe it makes a difference only on a 300gb drive who knows...
Old 12-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #1626
rbautch
User

Your commands above are ecactly equivalent to the restore commands the zipper runs. Instead of these commands try it manually with
Code:
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hdc
...which is what the zipper uses. I'd like to get to the bottom of this to save the next guy the same hassle.

or

Old 12-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #1627
joeblow17

Quote:
Your commands above are ecactly equivalent to the restore commands the zipper runs. Instead of these commands try it manually with
Code:
mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hdc
...which is what the zipper uses. I'd like to get to the bottom of this to save the next guy the same hassle.
I know that seems very odd would it make a difference if you just changed the script to the way that worked for me or maybe someone else can chime in that has tried with a 300gb drive or larger?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #1628
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow17
...I am thinking the -r 0 probably is more efficient with the disk space...
Yes, but it consumes more memory. This, in turn, will slow down the overall operation of the TiVo (due to more frequenct swapping of RAM contents to disk).

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #1629
rbautch
User

I don't change anything based on one data point, unless I know exactly what's happening. I know it's PIA to pull a drive. However... you came here, used a free tool, got what you wanted, and left. People who do that without expending extra effort to contribute to the community fall into the category of "leeches". Anyone else with a 300+ gig drive willing to help me test, please PM me.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 12-04-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #1630
JrFaust
We are the Borg...

Exclamation Hackman and your rc.sysinit.author file...

First thanks for the wonderful script!!!
I wasn't going to rehack my DTiVos but I thought I'd try out the script and wow.
I updated both my DTiVos last night and man that’s better than doing all the individual hacks manually.

But I did run into an issue last night that caused ftp, telnet, and a few other hacks to stop working .
I had attempted to use hackman to make tserver run on start up I saved the new rc.sysinit.author file rebooted and oops . It seams that hackman doesn't append or even attempt to edit the file it totally replaces it, I know I should have paid more attention but... So I cp'ed the .ORIG back and all is good but I though it was worth saying some thing. I don't know if anything can really be done about it except to warn peeps that they should use joe, vi, or what ever to edit there rc.sysinit.author file and not to use hackman.

If this was already talked about sorry if not hopefully it will save a newbie from a hard lesson.

Inactive TiVos
1 - Philips S1 Hdr112 20GB
1 - DTiVo R10 80GB 6.1/MRV, TWP, and others.
JrFaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #1631
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yep
Some of us have run across that as well. I have posted a "warning" in this thread regarding the power of hackman and the havoc it can cause to the tenderfoot tivo hacker.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #1632
JamieP

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you I tried 5 or 6 times on this same drive with the standard procedure. All I can report is my findings. It works using

mfsrestore -s 127 -bzpi /cdrom/000001 /dev/hdc
mfsadd -r (0 or 4 -x) /dev/hdc

but not just using the script to restore the image. Either way I am happy to be up and running. I hope that helps somewhat maybe it makes a difference only on a 300gb drive who knows...
This doesn't make sense. -r 0 can't properly create partitions larger than about 67GB. Anybody with an 80GB drive can verify this. I've tested this myself. Are you sure you started from scratch using a minimal MFS image, as you did the first time? Please post the pdisk output, before and after the mfsadd.
Quote:
... maybe it makes a difference only on a 300gb drive who knows...
Well, yes, the problem is only an issue with large drives. If you aren't testing with a large drive, you aren't going to be able to reproduce the problem.

Last edited by JamieP : 12-04-2005 at 08:17 PM.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:56 PM   #1633
rbautch
User

Hackman is an awesome tool created by a talented hacker. I hesitate to remove it from the Zipper TWP archive, so instead I'll do some digging to figure out what's going on.

or

Old 12-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #1634
alatar

Must hard reboot TiVo to get it to function

Followed the directions to the letter. Everything works ecept I cannot soft-reboot the TiVo. It gets to the second screen, and then goes into a reboot loop. Also, when the TiVo is recording, it runs very slow when I attempt to fast-forward, rewind, or use the NPL. It does not have this problem when it is running off of the buffer. Let me know if you need to see any logs or what not. Would love to not have to redo everything, but I will if I have to. Thanks.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #1635
bnm81002

Quote:
yep
Some of us have run across that as well. I have posted a "warning" in this thread regarding the power of hackman and the havoc it can cause to the tenderfoot tivo hacker.

hey Gunny,
maybe you and rbautch can put this warning in the Zipper webpage as well as the enhancement script webpage?
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #1636
joeblow17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP
This doesn't make sense. -r 0 can't properly create partitions larger than about 67GB. Anybody with an 80GB drive can verify this. I've tested this myself. Are you sure you started from scratch using a minimal MFS image, as you did the first time? Please post the pdisk output, before and after the mfsadd.Well, yes, the problem is only an issue with large drives. If you aren't testing with a large drive, you aren't going to be able to reproduce the problem.
I am sure of one thing I did exactly what you guys asked so I pulled the drive again tonight and ran the script it again caused the GSOD sorry if you think I bailed on you rbautch, but it wasn't that I wasn't willing just didn't seem necessary.

Jamie I did exactly what rbautch asked I ran it with r -0 it worked, and I know I am not an expert like you guys so I don't know what to say. I have a Seagate 300gb 7200rpm 100ATA drive.

I really am grateful for the help, but to say I came here got what I wanted and bailed was a little harsh don't you think? I have been around for a short amount of time, but the fact is I was trying to help...Oh well I gotta get some sleep it has been a long weekend.

Last edited by joeblow17 : 12-05-2005 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2005, 04:09 AM   #1637
qwertypo

Sir S4080r

I have a Samsung unit....
I assume from reading the posts that the zipper will work just fine for me... but
Which iso do I need to download for install? They offer many different versions, and I wasn't sure how to spend my 19.99...

Also, I have been planning this for a while, it seems I don;t need the special serial to phone cable anymore?

Thanks for you help, this is a great thread!!!!
qwertypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 09:16 AM   #1638
msu72

Quote:
I know nothing about 64 bit amd so this is a shot in teh dark, is there a setting in the bios for better 32 bit compatibility?
Thanks for the suggestion, Gunny. I'll give that a shot tonight. I'm also kluging together a makeshift PC with an old P3 motherboard that I found in a drawer. We'll see how that works.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:23 AM   #1639
msu72

Quote:
The boot disk doesn't work with some AMD motherboards. Check the PTVupgrade forums for more information. If you have a different PC, try it. It could also be a bad burn.
Thanks for the info. I've burned the CD a couple of times, so I don't think that is it. Must be a compatibility issue. As I mentioned to Gunny, I am throwing together an old P3 system tonight and I'll give that a shot. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #1640
Jaerin

An alternative that I've used to booting directly from the CD's is to use VMware. I just created a simple Linux machine that I can virtually boot. You still have to reboot the actual machine when adding/removing the drive, but any boots needed during the actual install are much quicker this way. Plus you can do things like mount up a few CD roms so you have all your CD's available. Plus then I can download any files I need while I'm working the drives.

Jaerin
Jaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #1641
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

great idea!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #1642
Jaerin

It's just too bad you can't hotswap the IDE drives. I suppose you could if you had one of those hotswap IDE enclosures or maybe a USB enclosure that you could easily change the drive.

That would make the whole process a cakewalk

Anyways if you do the VMware thing you need to mount the IDE drive as a physical device to one of the IDE channels. I'm not sure, but I think it couldn't be the Primary Master (IDE 0:0) so I made one of my CD-rom drives Primary Master (IDE 0:0) and my Tivo drive Primary Slave (IDE 0:1).

Last edited by Jaerin : 12-05-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Jaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #1643
rbautch
User

Quote:
I really am grateful for the help, but to say I came here got what I wanted and bailed was a little harsh don't you think? I have been around for a short amount of time, but the fact is I was trying to help...Oh well I gotta get some sleep it has been a long weekend.
I'm sorry if I mistook you reluctance to test it. Perhaps it was a little harsh.

or

Old 12-05-2005, 11:07 AM   #1644
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertypo
I have a Samsung unit....
I assume from reading the posts that the zipper will work just fine for me... but
Which iso do I need to download for install? They offer many different versions, and I wasn't sure how to spend my 19.99...

Also, I have been planning this for a while, it seems I don;t need the special serial to phone cable anymore?

Thanks for you help, this is a great thread!!!!
Follow the link in the thread, and pick the download for Series 2 DirecTivos. Not sure what a serail to phone cable is, but a serial cable is always a worthwhile troubleshooting tool.

or

Old 12-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #1645
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Followed the directions to the letter. Everything works ecept I cannot soft-reboot the TiVo. It gets to the second screen, and then goes into a reboot loop. Also, when the TiVo is recording, it runs very slow when I attempt to fast-forward, rewind, or use the NPL. It does not have this problem when it is running off of the buffer. Let me know if you need to see any logs or what not. Would love to not have to redo everything, but I will if I have to. Thanks.
The only thing that would help us narrow down the problem is if you connected a serial cable and posted the console output. Otherwise, try starting fresh with a new image.

or

Old 12-05-2005, 11:10 AM   #1646
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaerin
It's just too bad you can't hotswap the IDE drives. I suppose you could if you had one of those hotswap IDE enclosures or maybe a USB enclosure that you could easily change the drive.That would make the whole process a cakewalk
I think people have done this before.

or

Old 12-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #1647
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillan
Comming back to this I actually did try rebooting the tivo a few times still without telnet. I rebooted the tivo after the setup by doing the three thumbs down thing a few times then out of frustration I pulled the plug, posted my problem and went to sleep. In the morning I woke up and read DLiquids response and gave it a try. So magically it's working perfectly now. I have no idea what was going on but DLiquids advice worked.

A big thank you is due to everyone who worked on the zipper, and to DLiquid for the suggestion!
I tried rebooting a few times as well. I noticed the problem when I saw in my router's config that it was giving an IP address to the TiVo. By the way, this exact problem happened with two HDVR2s I was uprading on the same night.

I've now Zippered three TiVos and I can't wait to hook them all up next week when I move into my new house.

The thing that really bugs me is the Parental Controls problem that seems to exist. You can't transfer a program without putting in the Parental Controls code. That's fine, but then it unlocks that TiVo for 4 hours. You can re-lock it once the transfer starts, but if you try to play the show you get a rating unknown message (even though you can clearly see the rating in the info) and it asks for the code again. Definitely frustrating for those of us who use Parental Controls. Basically means no MRV for the kids.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #1648
JamieP

Quote:
Jamie I did exactly what rbautch asked I ran it with r -0 it worked, ...
This disagrees with theory and my experience, so I suspect something else is going on here. The only real way to tell would be to look at the partition table (with pdisk) and the MFS layout (with mfsinfo) before and after the mfsadd command.

Anybody with a spare 80GB disk and a minimal (1GB) MFS image ought to be able to reproduce the experiment. A 120GB disk and a 40GB MFS image should also exhibit the problem. In both cases, "-r 0" should produce an invalid MFS layout and fail to boot with the new "expanded" media partition size, since it is >~67GB. I have done this experiment myself, though not in the context of the rbautch scripts.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #1649
joeblow17

Quote:
I'm sorry if I mistook you reluctance to test it. Perhaps it was a little harsh.
Hey no big thing I am sure I came across wrong too I was pretty worn out it was a long weekend. On top of that today all I am doing is working on crashed servers from a power outage over the weekend. Fun...Fun...Fun!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:24 PM   #1650
Dirac

Does the Network module in TWP work on the HR10-250? I don't see it on the version the Zipper installed on my HDTiVo, but it's present on the Samsungs.

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote